Trying to access Compuserve dailup. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Trying to access Compuserve dailup. - Ubuntu ; I just installed the latest Ubuntu, and I need to find a way to connect to Compuserve dailup. I installed Penggy, configured the username, password, dailing number, and modem device location. The modem dialed out, then said that is was ...

  1. Trying to access Compuserve dailup.

    I just installed the latest Ubuntu, and I need to find a way to connect to
    Compuserve dailup.

    I installed Penggy, configured the username, password, dailing number, and
    modem device location. The modem dialed out, then said that is was
    initiating a chat script, and then imediately said that there was a
    "segmentation fault", and the process was terminated.

    What else can I try?

    Does anyone know if the Windows dailer software will work with Wine?

  2. Re: Trying to access Compuserve dailup.

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 04:17:57 +0000, ShadowTek wrote:

    > I just installed the latest Ubuntu, and I need to find a way to connect to
    > Compuserve dailup.
    >
    > I installed Penggy, configured the username, password, dailing number, and
    > modem device location. The modem dialed out, then said that is was
    > initiating a chat script, and then imediately said that there was a
    > "segmentation fault", and the process was terminated.
    >
    > What else can I try?
    >
    > Does anyone know if the Windows dailer software will work with Wine?

    I don't use this program at all, but did you run it like
    "sudo penggy" or just "pengy"? It could be that the script has different
    ownership.

    basically, try "sudo penggy" from terminal if you haven't already.

  3. Re: Trying to access Compuserve dailup.

    edgy wrote in
    newsan.2008.10.10.04.26.52.114728@notmail.com:

    > I don't use this program at all, but did you run it like
    > "sudo penggy" or just "pengy"? It could be that the script has
    > different ownership.
    >
    > basically, try "sudo penggy" from terminal if you haven't already.

    Yeah, I was a super user when I did all that.

  4. Re: Trying to access Compuserve dailup.

    ShadowTek wrote in
    news:Xns9B3330398342psistormyamatocscom@85.214.90. 236:

    > I just installed the latest Ubuntu,

    ............are we talking 8.04 or 8.10 which is beta?

    > and I need to find a way to
    > connect to Compuserve dailup.
    >
    > I installed Penggy, configured the username, password, dailing number,
    > and modem device location. The modem dialed out,

    Is it a "winmodem" (that is designed to only work with windows)...if so,
    that more than likely is your problem.

    > then said that is was
    > initiating a chat script, and then imediately said that there was a
    > "segmentation fault", and the process was terminated.

    Missing dependancy (missing files)?

    Check in Synaptic (highlight penggy and then click on Properties -
    Dependencies and then compare with "Installed Files").

    Could also try reinstalling and/or "Edit -> Fix Broken Packages".

    This may help too:

    > What else can I try?
    >
    > Does anyone know if the Windows dailer software will work with Wine?

    A quick google didn't turn up anything obvious but you might want to
    check out this site just in case there is other software available:

    http://appdb.winehq.org/

  5. Re: Trying to access Compuserve dailup.

    propman wrote in news:Xns9B32E8E9F7E85propmhotmailcom@
    85.214.90.236:

    > Is it a "winmodem" (that is designed to only work with windows)...if
    > so, that more than likely is your problem.

    No, I'm using an external serial modem.

    > Missing dependancy (missing files)?
    >
    > Check in Synaptic (highlight penggy and then click on Properties -
    > Dependencies and then compare with "Installed Files").
    >
    > Could also try reinstalling and/or "Edit -> Fix Broken Packages".

    All dependencies are already installed.

    > This may help too:

    Yeah, I had already seen that, and I tried everything that was mentioned.

    > A quick google didn't turn up anything obvious but you might want to
    > check out this site just in case there is other software available:
    >
    > http://appdb.winehq.org/

    They don't have any listings for any of thier dialer software.

  6. Re: Trying to access Compuserve dailup.

    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...cation&iId=324

    --
    Bob
    "I don't believe in evil, I believe in right and wrong, and very

  7. Re: Trying to access Compuserve dailup.

    You probably already seen this..

    If only I knew ...

  8. Re: Trying to access Compuserve dailup.

    Norman Grump wrote in news:8
    _KdnWicOoGuN3LVnZ2dnUVZ8v-dnZ2d@posted.plusnet:

    gppp wouldn't work with my modem, so I couldn't get that far. gppp would
    detect the modem in its proper location, ttyUBS0, but it would hang when
    begining to dail.

    Penggy and wvdial recognised and dailed with my modem just fine, but I
    guess the fact that I my external serial modem is connected through a
    serial to USB converter is confusing gppp.

    Anybody know what gppp's problem is?

  9. Re: Trying to access Compuserve dailup.

    propman wrote in news:Xns9B32E8E9F7E85propmhotmailcom@
    85.214.90.236:

    > ShadowTek wrote in
    > news:Xns9B3330398342psistormyamatocscom@85.214.90. 236:
    >
    >> I just installed the latest Ubuntu,

    > ...........are we talking 8.04 or 8.10 which is beta?

    8.04 AMD64 is what I am using.

  10. Re: Trying to access Compuserve dailup.

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 02:53:27 +0000, ShadowTek wrote:

    > my external serial modem is connected through a
    > serial to USB converter is confusing gppp.
    >
    > Anybody know what gppp's problem is?

    I know its probably a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but when I was using
    dialup I set up a Smoothwall box behind the sofa...
    Its a 69Mb download, requires P200 or better, 128Mb ram 2Gb Hdd, so if
    you have an old box lying around...
    I used mine for over 18 months without a single problem. The only
    configuration on your main machine is to point your default gateway at
    the smoothwall box.

    http://www.smoothwall.org/get/

    --
    still slacking ...

  11. Re: Trying to access Compuserve dailup.

    Norman Grump wrote in
    news:hr2dnR2RY5FkHGzVnZ2dnUVZ8sjinZ2d@posted.plusn et:

    > I know its probably a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but when I was using
    > dialup I set up a Smoothwall box behind the sofa...
    > Its a 69Mb download, requires P200 or better, 128Mb ram 2Gb Hdd, so if
    > you have an old box lying around...
    > I used mine for over 18 months without a single problem. The only
    > configuration on your main machine is to point your default gateway at
    > the smoothwall box.
    >
    > http://www.smoothwall.org/get/

    You mean to keep a Windows machine on for the actual connection?

  12. Re: Trying to access Compuserve dailup.

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 05:10:23 +0000, ShadowTek wrote:

    > You mean to keep a Windows machine on for the actual connection?

    Smoothwall is a small Linux distribution, you install it on an old
    machine. (it wipes everything off the machine, makes new partitions, so
    make sure there is nothing on there you want to keep)
    that machine then essentially acts as a router/ firewall, once installed
    you can access it through a web interface. You can set up multiple dialup
    accounts on the Smoothwall box, your modem is connected to the Smoothwall
    box, you connect your main machine to the smoothwall box via a network
    cable.

    --
    still slacking ...

  13. Re: Trying to access Compuserve dailup.

    Norman Grump wrote in
    news:hr2dnRyRY5FJFmzVnZ2dnUVZ8sjinZ2d@posted.plusn et:

    > Smoothwall is a small Linux distribution, you install it on an old
    > machine. (it wipes everything off the machine, makes new partitions,
    > so make sure there is nothing on there you want to keep)
    > that machine then essentially acts as a router/ firewall, once
    > installed you can access it through a web interface. You can set up
    > multiple dialup accounts on the Smoothwall box, your modem is
    > connected to the Smoothwall box, you connect your main machine to the
    > smoothwall box via a network cable.

    Yeah, but how do I connect to Compuserve with that?

    The whole problem is that I can't figure out how to connect to Compuserve
    with an OS other than Windows.

  14. Re: Trying to access Compuserve dailup.

    ShadowTek wrote in
    news:Xns9B34E8DC9146Dpsistormyamatocscom@85.214.90 .236:

    Here's the logged result from trying to use penggy:
    (
    $ sudo penggy
    Using /dev/ttyUSB0 device...
    Dialing provider...
    Dialing (number)
    Connection at 36000b/s done.
    Executing chat script (/usr/share/penggy/chat/aolnet.scm)...
    Segmentation fault
    )

    In the same directory that aolnet.scm is located, there is also a file
    named "csnet.scm". I would think that this is

    probably the file that penggy should be using since I am connecting to
    Compuserve and not AOL, but I don't see anywhere to

    affect penggy's usage of these files.

    Here's the result when I tried to use wvdial:
    (
    $ sudo wvdial
    --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
    --> Cannot get information for serial port.
    --> Initializing modem.
    --> Sending: ATZ
    ATZ
    OK
    --> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    OK
    --> Modem initialized.
    --> Sending: ATDT(number)
    --> Waiting for carrier.
    ATDT684-4059
    CONNECT 36000 V44
    --> Carrier detected. Waiting for prompt.
    UQKT2 ** Welcome to (dns address) **
    Login:
    --> Looks like a login prompt.
    --> Sending: (user name)
    (user name)
    Password:
    --> Looks like a password prompt.
    --> Sending: (password)
    ** Bad Password
    Login:
    --> Looks like a login prompt.
    --> Sending: (user name)
    (user name)
    Password:
    --> Looks like a password prompt.
    --> Sending: (password)
    ** Bad Password
    Login:
    --> Looks like a login prompt.
    --> Sending: (user name)
    --> Don't know what to do! Starting pppd and hoping for the best.
    --> Starting pppd at Sun Oct 12 01:42:32 2008
    --> Pid of pppd: 6159
    --> Using interface ppp0
    --> pppd: �[7f]
    --> pppd: �[7f]
    --> pppd: �[7f]
    --> pppd: �[7f]
    --> Disconnecting at Sun Oct 12 01:42:39 2008
    --> The PPP daemon has died: Authentication error.
    --> We failed to authenticate ourselves to the peer.
    --> Maybe bad account or password? (exit code = 19)
    --> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
    --> I guess that's it for now, exiting
    --> The PPP daemon has died. (exit code = 19)
    )

    It says that the password was bad, but made sure that it was correct,
    and the user name was correct also. I also tried a

    different user name and password an my account, but it also gave the
    same result.

    I don't know what the problem is.

  15. Re: Trying to access Compuserve dailup.

    Bob wrote in news:gco9ma$maq$1
    @registered.motzarella.org:

    > http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...cation&iId=324

    The application seems to be working, but I can't figure out how to tell the
    program where my modem is.

    I'm not familar with using Wine. How do I tell a Windows application where
    my modem is on Ubuntu?

    I also managed to install an early copy of Compuserve software, but I can't
    figure out how to make it detect the modem either.

  16. Re: Trying to access Compuserve dailup.

    > The whole problem is that I can't figure out how to connect to
    > Compuserve with an OS other than Windows.

    > Earlier you said :
    > Penggy had a "segmentation fault", gppp wouldn't work with my modem,

    > Then :
    > Penggy and wvdial recognised and dailed with my modem just fine

    Smoothwall is focused on creating / controlling an internet connection I
    thought it might help.

    Anyways...

    See : http://info.aol.co.uk/compuserve/faq-9x-me.adp

    "When CompuServe software is installed, it installs its own 'Server
    Type': 'CISPPP;PPP Connection using CompuServe Networks'. If a member
    does not have CompuServe installed, he/she will not have the CISPPP
    server type. Connection is still possible, but we need to use a
    connection script."

    an example of the script is shown there.

    maybe you can marry up the correct settings with the information provided
    here.

    http://ringlord.com/publications/ppp-automation/

    Have you tried using Minicom, perhaps you can get some feedback from it.

    I have never used Compuserve, and haven't used dial-up in the last two
    years... Sorry I couldn't provide you with a concise solution

    --
    still slacking ...

+ Reply to Thread