How to get guipdftk to work with pdftk - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on How to get guipdftk to work with pdftk - Ubuntu ; I'm relatively new to Linux (Kubuntu 8.04, in my case), so please bear with me if my question is elementary... I've used Adept Manager to install pdftk (PDF toolkit) on my machine. I'd like to get a gui working for ...

  1. How to get guipdftk to work with pdftk

    I'm relatively new to Linux (Kubuntu 8.04, in my case), so please bear
    with me if my question is elementary...

    I've used Adept Manager to install pdftk (PDF toolkit) on my machine.

    I'd like to get a gui working for pdftk: I downloaded the Linux binary
    for guipdftk from http://www.paehl.de/pdf/gui_pdftk.html, but I don't
    know what it is I need to do to activate it. I tried unpacking it into
    the same directory (/user/bin) where the pdftk executable is, but when I
    try to run guipdftk, "nothing" seems to happen, so I presume there must
    be more to it than that.

    Can someone give me some basics on what I need to do to get this app to run?

    Thanks!
    --
    Rob Lindauer - Please change "att" to "sbc" for my real email address

  2. Re: How to get guipdftk to work with pdftk

    Rob Lindauer wrote in

    > I'm relatively new to Linux (Kubuntu 8.04, in my case), so please bear
    > with me if my question is elementary...
    >
    > I've used Adept Manager to install pdftk (PDF toolkit) on my machine.
    >
    > I'd like to get a gui working for pdftk: I downloaded the Linux
    > binary for guipdftk from http://www.paehl.de/pdf/gui_pdftk.html, but I
    > don't know what it is I need to do to activate it. I tried unpacking
    > it into the same directory (/user/bin) where the pdftk executable is,
    > but when I try to run guipdftk, "nothing" seems to happen, so I
    > presume there must be more to it than that.
    >
    > Can someone give me some basics on what I need to do to get this app
    > to run?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Move/copy guipdftk and guipdftk.config to /usr/bin

    sudo chmod a+x /usr/bin/guipdftk

    Use Synaptic to install libgdk-pixbuf2 (version 0.22.0-14)

    Open a terminal session and type: guipdftk

    The GUI for pdftk should now appear on screen. :-)

    propman (who is currently listening to "I like a man like a
    buffalo"........sheesh!!! WTF is that supposed to mean???!!)

  3. Re: How to get guipdftk to work with pdftk

    Rob Lindauer wrote in

    > I'd like to get a gui working for pdftk: I downloaded the Linux
    > binary for guipdftk from http://www.paehl.de/pdf/gui_pdftk.html, but I

    Hmmmm......just a word of note. Took a closer look at the GUI and it's not
    displaying that great over here. Missing letters from some of the prompt
    buttons, input fields etc.

    Can you let me know how it displays on your end of things please? :-)

  4. Re: How to get guipdftk to work with pdftk

    propman wrote:
    > Rob Lindauer wrote in
    >
    >> I'd like to get a gui working for pdftk: I downloaded the Linux
    >> binary for guipdftk from http://www.paehl.de/pdf/gui_pdftk.html, but I

    > Hmmmm......just a word of note. Took a closer look at the GUI and it's not
    > displaying that great over here. Missing letters from some of the prompt
    > buttons, input fields etc.
    >
    > Can you let me know how it displays on your end of things please? :-)

    Thanks for the help, propman - I'll try it over the weekend and report
    back what I see. Thanks again, RL

    --
    Rob Lindauer - Please change "att" to "sbc" for my real email address

  5. Re: How to get guipdftk to work with pdftk

    propman wrote:

    > Hmmmm......just a word of note. Took a closer look at the GUI and it's not
    > displaying that great over here. Missing letters from some of the prompt
    > buttons, input fields etc.
    >
    > Can you let me know how it displays on your end of things please? :-)

    Hi, propman. Thanks again for your help! I followed your instructions
    without trouble. The display looks fine to me - no missing letters. I
    had installed the MS WinXP fonts on my machine; wonder if that might
    make a difference. Regards, Rob L

    --
    Rob Lindauer - Please change "att" to "sbc" for my real email address

  6. Re: How to get guipdftk to work with pdftk

    Rob Lindauer wrote:

    > Hi, propman. Thanks again for your help! I followed your instructions
    > without trouble. The display looks fine to me - no missing letters. I
    > had installed the MS WinXP fonts on my machine; wonder if that might
    > make a difference. Regards, Rob L

    Actually, I spoke a bit prematurely - but the "dangly bits" of words in
    the middle section (e.g., the below-the-line bits of p, q, y) are
    clipped off - no enough space between lines. And I do see a button
    where the right hand tip of a letter is missing, again not enough space
    defined for the label, I guess. But nothing's missing outright. -RL

    --
    Rob Lindauer - Please change "att" to "sbc" for my real email address

  7. Re: How to get guipdftk to work with pdftk

    Rob Lindauer wrote in

    > Rob Lindauer wrote:
    >

    >> Hi, propman. Thanks again for your help! I followed your
    >> instructions without trouble. The display looks fine to me - no
    >> missing letters. I had installed the MS WinXP fonts on my machine;
    >> wonder if that might make a difference. Regards, Rob L
    >>

    > Actually, I spoke a bit prematurely - but the "dangly bits" of words
    > in the middle section (e.g., the below-the-line bits of p, q, y) are
    > clipped off - no enough space between lines. And I do see a button
    > where the right hand tip of a letter is missing, again not enough
    > space defined for the label, I guess. But nothing's missing
    > outright. -RL

    Good to hear that things went OK! And thanks for the update....my
    display is a bit more gibbled that what you are describing....if I feel
    like it I may play around with my fonts to see if it will get any
    better. Much appreciated. :-)

  8. Re: How to get guipdftk to work with pdftk

    Quote Originally Posted by propman View Post
    Move/copy guipdftk and guipdftk.config to /usr/bin

    sudo chmod a+x /usr/bin/guipdftk

    Use Synaptic to install libgdk-pixbuf2 (version 0.22.0-14)

    Open a terminal session and type: guipdftk

    The GUI for pdftk should now appear on screen. :-)
    Hello

    After this the GUI doesn't appear on my pc, only this message :

    guipdftk: error while loading shared libraries: libgdk-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

    A idea ?

+ Reply to Thread