Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash. - Ubuntu ; Moog wrote: >> It is! We Europeans have fuel prices roughly three times higher than you >> (mostly taxes), but our typical cars have fuel consumption figures from >> 30 to 60 mpg! > > Yup. I get 54mpg out ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 258

  1. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    Moog wrote:

    >> It is! We Europeans have fuel prices roughly three times higher than you
    >> (mostly taxes), but our typical cars have fuel consumption figures from
    >> 30 to 60 mpg!

    > Yup. I get 54mpg out of a compact exec. A DIESEL burner. That word will
    > scare the **** out of the septics.

    My bigger car (a 2.2 litre diesel estate) does (roughly) 45 mpg the way I
    drive it (not slowly!).

    > They'll stick to their 32mpg HYBRIDS. A word that scares the **** out
    > of us limeys. ;-)

    I've also got a smaller hybrid - it usefully avoids the spurious Central
    London "Congestion Charge" and gets slightly over 50 mpg in town. My wife
    mostly uses that one.

    C.

  2. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> Bill Baka wrote:
    >>
    >>> It is! We Europeans have fuel prices roughly three times
    >>> higher than you (mostly taxes), but our typical cars have fuel
    >>> consumption figures from 30 to 60 mpg!

    >> Yup. I get 54mpg out of a compact exec. A DIESEL burner. That
    >> word will scare the **** out of the septics.

    > My bigger car (a 2.2 litre diesel estate) does (roughly) 45 mpg
    > the way I drive it (not slowly!).
    >
    >> They'll stick to their 32mpg HYBRIDS. A word that scares the
    >> **** out of us limeys. ;-)

    > I've also got a smaller hybrid - it usefully avoids the spurious
    > Central London "Congestion Charge" and gets slightly over 50 mpg
    > in town. My wife mostly uses that one.

    For the benefit of all readers, the Brits are using Imperial
    gallons. These are about 25% larger than the US gallon. So the
    mileages specified above are roughly high 30's in US gallons.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  3. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    After takin' a swig o' grog, CBFalconer belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >> Moog wrote:

    >>> Yup. I get 54mpg out of a compact exec. A DIESEL burner. That
    >>> word will scare the **** out of the septics.

    >> My bigger car (a 2.2 litre diesel estate) does (roughly) 45 mpg
    >> the way I drive it (not slowly!).
    >>
    >>> They'll stick to their 32mpg HYBRIDS. A word that scares the
    >>> **** out of us limeys. ;-)

    >> I've also got a smaller hybrid - it usefully avoids the spurious
    >> Central London "Congestion Charge" and gets slightly over 50 mpg
    >> in town. My wife mostly uses that one.

    > For the benefit of all readers, the Brits are using Imperial
    > gallons. These are about 25% larger than the US gallon. So the
    > mileages specified above are roughly high 30's in US gallons.

    Cool.

    My Yaris (manual transmission) gets between 35-38 MPG overall.
    That's with my lead foot.

    The down side? I've comes close to getting crushed twice by stupid
    mothertruckers who didn't see me.

    Truckers around here are NUTS. One day I'm getting ready to bang a
    U-turn, starting to slow down, and I hear a horn blasting. Looming in
    my rear view is a truck cab. I got out of his way, he blew by, and I
    saw his truck was named "Ludacris".

    --
    "You'll pay to know what you really think."
    -- J. R. "Bob" Dobbs

  4. Nutty drivers (was: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean yourspare cash.)

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > My Yaris (manual transmission) gets between 35-38 MPG overall.
    > That's with my lead foot.
    >
    > The down side? I've comes close to getting crushed twice by
    > stupid mothertruckers who didn't see me.
    >
    > Truckers around here are NUTS. One day I'm getting ready to
    > bang a U-turn, starting to slow down, and I hear a horn blasting.
    > Looming in my rear view is a truck cab. I got out of his way,
    > he blew by, and I saw his truck was named "Ludacris".

    This being an international news group, I suggest you replace
    'here' with a suitable area name.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  5. Re: Nutty drivers

    After takin' a swig o' grog, CBFalconer belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>

    > ... snip ...
    >>
    >> My Yaris (manual transmission) gets between 35-38 MPG overall.
    >> That's with my lead foot.
    >>
    >> The down side? I've comes close to getting crushed twice by
    >> stupid mothertruckers who didn't see me.
    >>
    >> Truckers around here are NUTS. One day I'm getting ready to
    >> bang a U-turn, starting to slow down, and I hear a horn blasting.
    >> Looming in my rear view is a truck cab. I got out of his way,
    >> he blew by, and I saw his truck was named "Ludacris".

    > This being an international news group, I suggest you replace
    > 'here' with a suitable area name.

    Does it matter?

    Well, okay. It was just outside Fallujah. Crazy drivers!

    --
    There's coffee in that nebula!
    -- Capt. Kathryn Janeway, Star Trek: Voyager, "The Cloud"

  6. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    Moog wrote:
    >> My bigger car (a 2.2 litre diesel estate) does (roughly) 45 mpg the way I
    >> drive it (not slowly!).
    >> 2.2 litre here too.
    >>
    >> It's interesting that they chose Petrol to run the hybrid, as diesel has
    >> been such a "slow take up" in the US. It never made "green" sense to
    >> me that. It makes perfect "sales sense". Not exactly "planet saving"
    >> technology though, is it?
    >>
    >> Perhaps the Hydrogen vehicles will make more sense once readily
    >> available.

    Not gonna happen. Hydrogen has to be made, mostly by hydrolyzing water
    and that takes electricity, which isn't cheap, so we are shifting the
    blame on to the car. I had a car that ran on Propane and while it burned
    cleanly it got such bad mileage that I switched it back to gas.
    The only real solution will be battery powered up to 35 MPH, gas after
    that or for the A/C. It would be kind of cool if they could cover the
    whole car with solar cells so it charges in the parking lot at work.
    This would need a rethink by families who think one car can do it all.
    We need 3 vehicles....
    1. Gas for trips beyond refuel stops all the time, and not necessarily
    SUV's that may max out at 40 MPG due to wind resistance.
    2. Electric motor/generators on the rear wheels.
    3. A public that will accept this.
    4. The realization that everyone needs to get around, but not in a
    $40,000 entertainment studio.
    5. 3 cars, one for family trips, one (much smaller and cheaper) for
    grocery runs, and a battery powered scooter for under 35 MPH.
    6. A dual mode hybrid with batteries in the back and a motor on each
    rear wheel.

    If the public does not get educated, then I see a downward spiral.
    This is not rocket science.
    Bill Baka

  7. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    Bill Baka wrote:
    > Moog wrote:
    >>> My bigger car (a 2.2 litre diesel estate) does (roughly) 45 mpg the way I
    >>> drive it (not slowly!).
    >>> 2.2 litre here too.
    >>>
    >>> It's interesting that they chose Petrol to run the hybrid, as diesel has
    >>> been such a "slow take up" in the US. It never made "green" sense to
    >>> me that. It makes perfect "sales sense". Not exactly "planet saving"
    >>> technology though, is it?
    >>>
    >>> Perhaps the Hydrogen vehicles will make more sense once readily
    >>> available.
    >>>

    > Not gonna happen. Hydrogen has to be made, mostly by hydrolyzing water
    > and that takes electricity, which isn't cheap, so we are shifting the
    > blame on to the car. I had a car that ran on Propane and while it burned
    > cleanly it got such bad mileage that I switched it back to gas.
    > The only real solution will be battery powered up to 35 MPH, gas after
    > that or for the A/C. It would be kind of cool if they could cover the
    > whole car with solar cells so it charges in the parking lot at work.
    > This would need a rethink by families who think one car can do it all.
    > We need 3 vehicles....
    > 1. Gas for trips beyond refuel stops all the time, and not necessarily
    > SUV's that may max out at 40 MPG due to wind resistance.
    > 2. Electric motor/generators on the rear wheels.
    > 3. A public that will accept this.
    > 4. The realization that everyone needs to get around, but not in a
    > $40,000 entertainment studio.
    > 5. 3 cars, one for family trips, one (much smaller and cheaper) for
    > grocery runs, and a battery powered scooter for under 35 MPH.
    > 6. A dual mode hybrid with batteries in the back and a motor on each
    > rear wheel.
    >
    > If the public does not get educated, then I see a downward spiral.
    > This is not rocket science.
    > Bill Baka

    Hydrogen is making advancements by leaps and bounds Still a ways off.
    Example- Where someone (research scientists) now have a process that
    cuts electric use in hydrolysis by 90%. Another have a new plastic
    membrane that increases fuel cell efficiency. both need time to perfect.
    But are heading in the right direction.
    caver1

  8. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    caver1 wrote:

    > Hydrogen is making advancements by leaps and bounds Still a ways off.
    > Example- Where someone (research scientists) now have a process that
    > cuts electric use in hydrolysis by 90%. Another have a new plastic
    > membrane that increases fuel cell efficiency. both need time to perfect.
    > But are heading in the right direction.
    > caver1

    Yeah,
    But will it be in time?
    Bill Baka

  9. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    Bill Baka illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >>> My bigger car (a 2.2 litre diesel estate) does (roughly) 45 mpg the way I
    >>> drive it (not slowly!).
    >>> 2.2 litre here too.
    >>>
    >>> It's interesting that they chose Petrol to run the hybrid, as diesel has
    >>> been such a "slow take up" in the US. It never made "green" sense to
    >>> me that. It makes perfect "sales sense". Not exactly "planet saving"
    >>> technology though, is it?
    >>>
    >>> Perhaps the Hydrogen vehicles will make more sense once readily
    >>> available.
    >>>

    > Not gonna happen.

    It already has. Honda have a vehicle for sale, with virtually
    every other manufacturer having a proto.

    > Hydrogen has to be made, mostly by hydrolyzing water
    > and that takes electricity,

    From what I read, Hydrogen is far easier (and cheaper) to make
    than refining oils.

    > which isn't cheap, so we are shifting the
    > blame on to the car.

    There's no "shifting" the blame. The car is entirely to blame.

    > I had a car that ran on Propane

    Eek. And that has to do with Hydrogen in what way?

    > and while it burned > cleanly it got such bad mileage that I
    > switched it back to gas.

    And yet, Hydrogen, in production and concept, gets far better mileage
    and emissions than any othwer technology.

    > The only real solution will be battery powered up to 35 MPH, gas after
    > that or for the A/C. It would be kind of cool if they could cover the
    > whole car with solar cells so it charges in the parking lot at work.

    ?

    How do yourecharghe a battery? How long does it take? Take the G-Wizz.
    You need ot charge it via an electrical supply for 8 hours to get 40
    miles from it.

    > This would need a rethink by families who think one car can do it all.
    > We need 3 vehicles....

    This is where you've lost it. You think we can become more
    eco friendly by owning THREE vehicles instead of one. That's just
    lunacy

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  10. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    Moog wrote:
    > Christopher Hunter illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    .... snip ...

    >> I've also got a smaller hybrid - it usefully avoids the spurious
    >> Central London "Congestion Charge" and gets slightly over 50 mpg
    >> in town. My wife mostly uses that one

    > It's interesting that they chose Petrol to run the hybrid, as
    > diesel has been such a "slow take up" in the US. It never made
    > "green" sense to me that. It makes perfect "sales sense". Not
    > exactly "planet saving" technology though, is it?

    Until recently diesel fuel was virtually unregulated, and contained
    all sorts of nasty junk in the US. This caused much admirable
    pollution, and discouraged diesel cars. Trucks didn't care.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  11. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 20:40:28 -0400, CBFalconer
    wrote:

    >Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >> Moog wrote:

    >>> Yup. I get 54mpg out of a compact exec. A DIESEL burner. That
    >>> word will scare the **** out of the septics.

    >> My bigger car (a 2.2 litre diesel estate) does (roughly) 45 mpg
    >> the way I drive it (not slowly!).
    >>
    >>> They'll stick to their 32mpg HYBRIDS. A word that scares the
    >>> **** out of us limeys. ;-)

    >> I've also got a smaller hybrid - it usefully avoids the spurious
    >> Central London "Congestion Charge" and gets slightly over 50 mpg
    >> in town. My wife mostly uses that one.

    >For the benefit of all readers, the Brits are using Imperial
    >gallons. These are about 25% larger than the US gallon. So the
    >mileages specified above are roughly high 30's in US gallons.

    You must be hired to calculate the taxes charged by your government.
    Imperial gallons are just a hair over 20 percent bigger.

    When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened or not.
    Mark Twain

  12. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    Bill Baka wrote:
    > caver1 wrote:
    >>

    >> Hydrogen is making advancements by leaps and bounds Still a ways off.
    >> Example- Where someone (research scientists) now have a process that
    >> cuts electric use in hydrolysis by 90%. Another have a new plastic
    >> membrane that increases fuel cell efficiency. both need time to perfect.
    >> But are heading in the right direction.
    >> caver1

    > Yeah,
    > But will it be in time?
    > Bill Baka

    That's yet to be seen.
    caver1

  13. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    Roy Strachan wrote:
    > CBFalconer wrote:

    .... snip ...

    >> For the benefit of all readers, the Brits are using Imperial
    >> gallons. These are about 25% larger than the US gallon. So the
    >> mileages specified above are roughly high 30's in US gallons.

    > You must be hired to calculate the taxes charged by your government.
    > Imperial gallons are just a hair over 20 percent bigger.

    Note the use of 'about' above. As far as I can see 1.2 US gallons
    is less than 1.0 Imperial gallon, which in turn is less than 1.25
    US gallons. My units program does not translate Imperial gallons,
    so I am reduced to memory.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  14. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    Moog wrote:
    > Bill Baka illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> Not gonna happen.

    > It already has. Honda have a vehicle for sale, with virtually
    > every other manufacturer having a proto.

    It's all marketing hype. The electricity to make the Hydrogen is not
    free and just transfers the bill to the power plant. Nothing is free.

    >> Hydrogen has to be made, mostly by hydrolyzing water
    >> and that takes electricity,

    > From what I read, Hydrogen is far easier (and cheaper) to make
    > than refining oils.

    Energy is energy and electricity is the common factor, so hydrogen cars
    may burn clean, but how about all the coal fired electricity plants.

    >> which isn't cheap, so we are shifting the
    >> blame on to the car.

    > There's no "shifting" the blame. The car is entirely to blame.

    Too many lazy people factors in. An around town car could be all
    electric with a solar panel skin. Going shopping hardly needs a big SUV.

    >> I had a car that ran on Propane

    > Eek. And that has to do with Hydrogen in what way?

    It is way cleaner than gasoline.

    >> and while it burned > cleanly it got such bad mileage that I
    >> switched it back to gas.

    > And yet, Hydrogen, in production and concept, gets far better mileage
    > and emissions than any othwer technology.

    I may sound like an endless die hard but the production of Hydrogen
    takes electricity, so it is not free. We need a lot more electricity to
    get anywhere.

    >> The only real solution will be battery powered up to 35 MPH, gas after
    >> that or for the A/C. It would be kind of cool if they could cover the
    >> whole car with solar cells so it charges in the parking lot at work.

    > ?
    >
    > How do yourecharghe a battery? How long does it take? Take the G-Wizz.
    > You need ot charge it via an electrical supply for 8 hours to get 40
    > miles from it.

    An average trip to the store and around town rarely exceeds 10 to 15
    miles and with regen braking that can be extended.

    >> This would need a rethink by families who think one car can do it all.
    >> We need 3 vehicles....

    > This is where you've lost it. You think we can become more
    > eco friendly by owning THREE vehicles instead of one. That's just
    > lunacy

    MORON, again.
    Not only can I afford 3 cars, 5 bicycles, and various other means of
    getting around, like feet. The 3 vehicles I mentioned were an actual
    hybrid for long trips, an around town car (much smaller), and an
    electric bicycle/scooter. The rest of my vehicles are bicycles.
    I have enough storage to keep all of the above. If you live in an
    apartment and can't do this, that just proves too many people live in
    the cities.
    Bill Baka

  15. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    Moog wrote:
    > Bill Baka illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> Not gonna happen.

    > It already has. Honda have a vehicle for sale, with virtually
    > every other manufacturer having a proto.

    Only until salesmen quit trying to hype us into buying crap cars.

    >> Hydrogen has to be made, mostly by hydrolyzing water
    >> and that takes electricity,

    > From what I read, Hydrogen is far easier (and cheaper) to make
    > than refining oils.

    Really? References please, college grad level, not Joe Average Stupid.

    >> which isn't cheap, so we are shifting the
    >> blame on to the car.

    > There's no "shifting" the blame. The car is entirely to blame.

    The 'clean' Hydrogen has to be separated from it's companion Oxygen
    atoms and they doth protest.

    >> I had a car that ran on Propane

    > Eek. And that has to do with Hydrogen in what way?

    Nothing at all, but it burns way cleaner than gasoline/petrol.
    I had 150,000 miles on Propane in a Ford van and when I tore it down for
    new rings **it was clean inside, unlike gasoline.**

    >> and while it burned > cleanly it got such bad mileage that I
    >> switched it back to gas.

    > And yet, Hydrogen, in production and concept, gets far better mileage
    > and emissions than any othwer technology.

    You still don't get the concept that 99.999% of Hydrogen in all of the
    planet is in water in the oceans.

    >> The only real solution will be battery powered up to 35 MPH, gas after
    >> that or for the A/C. It would be kind of cool if they could cover the
    >> whole car with solar cells so it charges in the parking lot at work.

    > ?
    >
    > How do yourecharghe a battery? How long does it take? Take the G-Wizz.
    > You need ot charge it via an electrical supply for 8 hours to get 40
    > miles from it.

    Read up on the "Solar race across Australia"!!!
    The cars are solar only with some batteries for the evenings and hills.

    >> This would need a rethink by families who think one car can do it all.
    >> We need 3 vehicles....

    > This is where you've lost it. You think we can become more
    > eco friendly by owning THREE vehicles instead of one. That's just
    > lunacy

    MORON alert.
    This fool doesn't realize I can only drive one (1 for the illiterate) at
    a time.

    Up until now I thought (mistakenly) that Moog had a functional brain.
    Bill Baka

  16. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 22:28:48 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:

    >> And yet, Hydrogen, in production and concept, gets far better mileage
    >> and emissions than any othwer technology.

    > You still don't get the concept that 99.999% of Hydrogen in all of the
    > planet is in water in the oceans.

    I don't think the percentage is that high. Got a reference/cite that
    supports that claim?

  17. Hydrogen (was: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your sparecash.)

    Bill Baka wrote:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> Bill Baka typed:

    .... snip ...

    >>> Hydrogen has to be made, mostly by hydrolyzing water
    >>> and that takes electricity,

    >> From what I read, Hydrogen is far easier (and cheaper) to make
    >> than refining oils.

    > Really? References please, college grad level, not Joe Average
    > Stupid.
    >
    >>> which isn't cheap, so we are shifting the blame on to the car.

    >> There's no "shifting" the blame. The car is entirely to blame.

    > The 'clean' Hydrogen has to be separated from it's companion
    > Oxygen atoms and they doth protest.

    One of the simplest methods of making hydrogen is passing
    electricity through water (suitably ionized). Hydrogen comes off
    one electrode, oxygen off the other. Power in, hydrogen out.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  18. Re: Hydrogen

    CBFalconer wrote:

    > One of the simplest methods of making hydrogen is passing
    > electricity through water (suitably ionized). Hydrogen comes off
    > one electrode, oxygen off the other. Power in, hydrogen out.

    One of the simplest methods of making methane is passing gas -- beans
    in, power out.

    Methane comes out one orifice, while the other usually grins. ;-)

    --
    John

  19. Re: Hydrogen

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > Bill Baka wrote:
    >> Moog wrote:
    >>> Bill Baka typed:
    >>>

    > ... snip ...
    >>> From what I read, Hydrogen is far easier (and cheaper) to make
    >>> than refining oils.

    >> Really? References please, college grad level, not Joe Average
    >> Stupid.

    >>> There's no "shifting" the blame. The car is entirely to blame.

    >> The 'clean' Hydrogen has to be separated from it's companion
    >> Oxygen atoms and they doth protest.

    > One of the simplest methods of making hydrogen is passing
    > electricity through water (suitably ionized). Hydrogen comes off
    > one electrode, oxygen off the other. Power in, hydrogen out.

    That was one of my objections, power (from where?) in and hydrogen out.
    Electricity is going to be what powers the world, cars, homes, whatever,
    but it has to be made and distributed. Hydrogen cars are just a feel
    good technology right now, and not an answer. Dual or even triple cars
    or bikes (under 50cc is legal with no license) will have to be the
    family norm. Giving a big tax break on electric bikes and cars should
    get it kick-started.
    Bill Baka

  20. Re: Hydrogen

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >
    >> One of the simplest methods of making hydrogen is passing
    >> electricity through water (suitably ionized). Hydrogen comes off
    >> one electrode, oxygen off the other. Power in, hydrogen out.

    That was my point, electrolyzing water is inefficient and uses lots of
    electricity to do it. Might as well collect the pure Oxygen and do
    something with it. The cars will burn clean, but no guarantee that the
    electricity is made cleanly. A giant electricity plant can have greater
    smoke scrubbers but they will have to put CO2 into the atmosphere.

    Anybody who thinks we can sequester millions of tons of Carbon is off
    their rocker because as soon as we run out of oil or natural gas we will
    be burning the carbon and repeating the cycle.

    Don't believe everything you hear on the news.

    Bill Baka

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast