Problem with USB flash drive - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Problem with USB flash drive - Ubuntu ; Hi, I have an issue with a USB flash drive access in Ubuntu. I had the drive at a company and this required the drive to be encrypted using Safend, this drive is no longer required to be encrypted, and ...

  1. Problem with USB flash drive

    Hi,

    I have an issue with a USB flash drive access in Ubuntu. I had the
    drive at a company and this required the drive to be encrypted using
    Safend, this drive is no longer required to be encrypted, and all data
    has been retrieved from the disk.

    The drive is detected as /dev/sdb and no other devices (eg /dev/sdb1)
    are present. Whenever I run a fdisk /dev/sdb on the drive, or
    anything else for that matter, I get an error telling me the medium is
    not found, and I am unable to complete any operation.

    Anyone else had this issue?
    Thanks.
    Andrew.

  2. Re: Problem with USB flash drive

    Em Quinta, 9 de Outubro de 2008 18:35, Andrew Hodgson escreveu:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an issue with a USB flash drive access in Ubuntu. I had the
    > drive at a company and this required the drive to be encrypted using
    > Safend, this drive is no longer required to be encrypted, and all data
    > has been retrieved from the disk.
    >
    > The drive is detected as /dev/sdb and no other devices (eg /dev/sdb1)
    > are present. Whenever I run a fdisk /dev/sdb on the drive, or
    > anything else for that matter, I get an error telling me the medium is
    > not found, and I am unable to complete any operation.
    >
    > Anyone else had this issue?
    > Thanks.
    > Andrew.

    start deleting everythig in there with

    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb

    then create partition(s)

  3. Re: Problem with USB flash drive

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 18:51:10 +0100, ArameFarpado
    wrote:

    >dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb

    Already tried this, no go, I get the same message as running fdisk,
    that the medium cannot be found.

    Thanks.
    Andrew.

  4. Re: Problem with USB flash drive

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 18:35:11 +0100, Andrew Hodgson wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an issue with a USB flash drive access in Ubuntu. I had the
    > drive at a company and this required the drive to be encrypted using
    > Safend, this drive is no longer required to be encrypted, and all data
    > has been retrieved from the disk.
    >
    > The drive is detected as /dev/sdb and no other devices (eg /dev/sdb1)
    > are present. Whenever I run a fdisk /dev/sdb on the drive, or anything
    > else for that matter, I get an error telling me the medium is not found,
    > and I am unable to complete any operation.
    >
    > Anyone else had this issue?
    > Thanks.
    > Andrew.

    Use parted or gparted to repartition the drive.

  5. Re: Problem with USB flash drive

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 13:44:34 -0500, General Schvantzkopf
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 18:35:11 +0100, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have an issue with a USB flash drive access in Ubuntu. I had the
    >> drive at a company and this required the drive to be encrypted using
    >> Safend, this drive is no longer required to be encrypted, and all data
    >> has been retrieved from the disk.
    >>
    >> The drive is detected as /dev/sdb and no other devices (eg /dev/sdb1)
    >> are present. Whenever I run a fdisk /dev/sdb on the drive, or anything
    >> else for that matter, I get an error telling me the medium is not found,
    >> and I am unable to complete any operation.
    >>
    >> Anyone else had this issue?
    >> Thanks.
    >> Andrew.

    >Use parted or gparted to repartition the drive.

    Don't have gparted on my minimal server install; however parted gives
    the same error as using dd or fdisk - can't open /dev/sdb, the medium
    cannot be found. Parted then asks me if I want to retry or cancel. I
    have also tried sfdisk.

    I also tried on my Windows machine and it shows up as a USB flash
    disk, but as if there is no disk in the actual drive! That makes
    sense with the no medium found error; I get this error on a USB card
    reader on the same machine if no card is inserted.

    I think this drive is toast; that is not too much of an issue, just
    glad it wasn't a 32gb drive or anything like that .

    Andrew.

  6. Re: Problem with USB flash drive

    Andrew Hodgson wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 13:44:34 -0500, General Schvantzkopf
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 18:35:11 +0100, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I have an issue with a USB flash drive access in Ubuntu. I had the
    >>> drive at a company and this required the drive to be encrypted using
    >>> Safend, this drive is no longer required to be encrypted, and all data
    >>> has been retrieved from the disk.
    >>>
    >>> The drive is detected as /dev/sdb and no other devices (eg /dev/sdb1)
    >>> are present. Whenever I run a fdisk /dev/sdb on the drive, or anything
    >>> else for that matter, I get an error telling me the medium is not found,
    >>> and I am unable to complete any operation.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone else had this issue?
    >>> Thanks.
    >>> Andrew.

    >> Use parted or gparted to repartition the drive.

    > Don't have gparted on my minimal server install; however parted gives
    > the same error as using dd or fdisk - can't open /dev/sdb, the medium
    > cannot be found. Parted then asks me if I want to retry or cancel. I
    > have also tried sfdisk.
    >
    > I also tried on my Windows machine and it shows up as a USB flash
    > disk, but as if there is no disk in the actual drive! That makes
    > sense with the no medium found error; I get this error on a USB card
    > reader on the same machine if no card is inserted.
    >
    > I think this drive is toast; that is not too much of an issue, just
    > glad it wasn't a 32gb drive or anything like that .
    >
    > Andrew.

    You could try making a bootitng boot media (either cd or floppy) from
    www.terabyte.com. Boot system using this. If your bios has usb support,
    do not enable usb support in bootitng, otherwise enable. This will be
    clearer if you read their on-line manual or look at the screen menus.
    This might show what is going on. It's always possible the electronics
    on the chip is fried in which case you are lost.

    I have had a similar failure to recognize in windows and was able to
    recover using options in disk management.
    Dave Cohen

  7. Re: Problem with USB flash drive

    On 2008-10-09, Andrew Hodgson hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 18:51:10 +0100, ArameFarpado
    > wrote:
    >
    >>dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb

    > Already tried this, no go, I get the same message as running fdisk,
    > that the medium cannot be found.

    What about low-level formatting the drive?

    Besides don't have flash-drives a "write" limit? When that
    is used, one can read the data but not write anymore onto
    the device. Don't know all the gory details, just toss it
    out as a point to consider...

    > Thanks.
    > Andrew.

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    "When science discovers the center of the universe, a lot of
    people will be disappointed to find they are not it."
    >> Bernard Baily <<

+ Reply to Thread