Newbie help request - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Newbie help request - Ubuntu ; I don't know how but I lost my panel. When I go into setting manager and click on it nothing happens. I downloaded and reinstalled the desktop but it did not correct it. I made a new user and it ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

  1. Newbie help request

    I don't know how but I lost my panel. When I go into setting manager and
    click on it nothing happens. I downloaded and reinstalled the desktop
    but it did not correct it. I made a new user and it works. I really
    don't want to start over as a new user.

    How do I get panel back?

  2. Re: Newbie help request

    On 10/07/2008 09:30 PM Will Wright scribbled:

    > I don't know how but I lost my panel. When I go into setting manager and
    > click on it nothing happens. I downloaded and reinstalled the desktop
    > but it did not correct it. I made a new user and it works. I really
    > don't want to start over as a new user.
    >
    > How do I get panel back?

    a little more info might help - what did you install?
    what do yo mean by the desktop?
    /what/ panel did you lose?
    do you have monitor issues?

  3. Re: Newbie help request

    Will Wright wrote:
    > I don't know how but I lost my panel. When I go into setting manager and
    > click on it nothing happens. I downloaded and reinstalled the desktop
    > but it did not correct it. I made a new user and it works. I really
    > don't want to start over as a new user.
    >
    > How do I get panel back?

    Are you saying that the applications menu is empty? If so, the following
    might help: (it's one Terminal line)

    sudo cp /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu.orig.dpkg-new
    /home/username/.config/menus/applications.menu

  4. Re: Newbie help request

    Will Wright wrote:

    > I don't know how but I lost my panel. When I go into setting manager and
    > click on it nothing happens. I downloaded and reinstalled the desktop
    > but it did not correct it. I made a new user and it works. I really
    > don't want to start over as a new user.
    >
    > How do I get panel back?

    Doesn't right-clicking on the Desktop background offer a Add New Panel
    option?
    --
    If you're posting thru Google Groups - I can't see you!
    Firey Bird brought to you by Eris and motzarella.org

  5. Re: Newbie help request

    Firey Bird wrote:
    > Will Wright wrote:
    >
    >> I don't know how but I lost my panel. When I go into setting manager and
    >> click on it nothing happens. I downloaded and reinstalled the desktop
    >> but it did not correct it. I made a new user and it works. I really
    >> don't want to start over as a new user.
    >>
    >> How do I get panel back?

    > Doesn't right-clicking on the Desktop background offer a Add New Panel
    > option?

    if you are using Ubuntu you have to right click on a panel to get the
    New Panel option. So hopefully you only lost one of your panels.
    caver1

  6. Re: Newbie help request

    * caver1 wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > Firey Bird wrote:
    >> Will Wright wrote:
    >>
    >>> I don't know how but I lost my panel. When I go into setting manager
    >>> and
    >>> click on it nothing happens. I downloaded and reinstalled the
    >>> desktop
    >>> but it did not correct it. I made a new user and it works. I really
    >>> don't want to start over as a new user.
    >>>
    >>> How do I get panel back?

    >> Doesn't right-clicking on the Desktop background offer a Add New
    >> Panel option?

    > if you are using Ubuntu you have to right click on a panel to get the
    > New Panel option. So hopefully you only lost one of your panels.
    > caver1

    I have not found a way to get rid of ALL the panels. I tried becasue I use
    cairo dock and dont need them, but Gnome insisted that I could not, so I
    autohide it.

    --
    David

  7. Re: Newbie help request

    Thanks for responding.

    I am trying the newest distro Xubuntu on an old PC.

    The panel control is found in Settings Manager - button Panel with the
    mouse on it. It no longer is working.

    I was trying to change a icon not installing anything.

    I have memory problems (192 MB RAM) but no monitor problem.

    When/if I learn Xubuntu, I probally will get a new DELL with Ubuntu
    already installed.

    jrg wrote:
    > On 10/07/2008 09:30 PM Will Wright scribbled:
    >
    >> I don't know how but I lost my panel. When I go into setting
    >> manager and click on it nothing happens. I downloaded and
    >> reinstalled the desktop but it did not correct it. I made a new
    >> user and it works. I really don't want to start over as a new user.
    >>

    >> How do I get panel back?

    > a little more info might help - what did you install? what do yo mean
    > by the desktop? /what/ panel did you lose? do you have monitor
    > issues?

  8. Re: Newbie help request

    No. Due to lack of memory, I am using the Xfe desktop in Xubuntu.

    Firey Bird wrote:
    > Will Wright wrote:
    >
    >> I don't know how but I lost my panel. When I go into setting manager and
    >> click on it nothing happens. I downloaded and reinstalled the desktop
    >> but it did not correct it. I made a new user and it works. I really
    >> don't want to start over as a new user.
    >>
    >> How do I get panel back?

    > Doesn't right-clicking on the Desktop background offer a Add New Panel
    > option?

  9. Re: Newbie help request

    Terminal is like using DOS to me.

    Chris wrote:
    > Will Wright wrote:
    >> I don't know how but I lost my panel. When I go into setting manager
    >> and click on it nothing happens. I downloaded and reinstalled the
    >> desktop but it did not correct it. I made a new user and it works. I
    >> really don't want to start over as a new user.
    >>
    >> How do I get panel back?

    > Are you saying that the applications menu is empty? If so, the following
    > might help: (it's one Terminal line)
    >
    > sudo cp /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu.orig.dpkg-new
    > /home/username/.config/menus/applications.menu

  10. Re: Newbie help request

    Also there is no application menu. I can only right click to do anything.

    TUX wrote:
    > Terminal is like using DOS to me.
    >
    > Chris wrote:
    >> Will Wright wrote:
    >>> I don't know how but I lost my panel. When I go into setting manager
    >>> and click on it nothing happens. I downloaded and reinstalled the
    >>> desktop but it did not correct it. I made a new user and it works. I
    >>> really don't want to start over as a new user.
    >>>
    >>> How do I get panel back?

    >> Are you saying that the applications menu is empty? If so, the
    >> following might help: (it's one Terminal line)
    >>
    >> sudo cp /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu.orig.dpkg-new
    >> /home/username/.config/menus/applications.menu

  11. Re: Newbie help request

    I am using Xubuntu. I was only using one which I lost.

    caver1 wrote:
    > Firey Bird wrote:
    >> Will Wright wrote:
    >>
    >>> I don't know how but I lost my panel. When I go into setting manager and
    >>> click on it nothing happens. I downloaded and reinstalled the desktop
    >>> but it did not correct it. I made a new user and it works. I really
    >>> don't want to start over as a new user.
    >>>
    >>> How do I get panel back?

    >> Doesn't right-clicking on the Desktop background offer a Add New Panel
    >> option?

    > if you are using Ubuntu you have to right click on a panel to get the
    > New Panel option. So hopefully you only lost one of your panels.
    > caver1

  12. Re: Newbie help request

    Will Wright wrote:
    > Thanks for responding.
    >
    > I am trying the newest distro Xubuntu on an old PC.
    >
    > The panel control is found in Settings Manager - button Panel with the
    > mouse on it. It no longer is working.
    >
    > I was trying to change a icon not installing anything.
    >
    > I have memory problems (192 MB RAM) but no monitor problem.

    Can you add memory at all? Memory these days is so cheap you could
    probably get a GB for under $50.00
    Linux loves my 3GB and XP runs faster. Max out the machine, but you may
    be putting a dress on a turkey.
    I'm down to giving away some of my older dram, 50ns, or the 133 MHz type.
    Bill Baka

    > When/if I learn Xubuntu, I probally will get a new DELL with Ubuntu
    > already installed.
    >
    > jrg wrote:
    >> On 10/07/2008 09:30 PM Will Wright scribbled:
    >>
    >>> I don't know how but I lost my panel. When I go into setting
    >>> manager and click on it nothing happens. I downloaded and
    >>> reinstalled the desktop but it did not correct it. I made a new
    >>> user and it works. I really don't want to start over as a new user.
    >>>

    >>> How do I get panel back?

    >> a little more info might help - what did you install? what do yo mean
    >> by the desktop? /what/ panel did you lose? do you have monitor
    >> issues?

  13. Re: Newbie help request

    More dressing on a turkey is exactly what I would have! I overpaid DELL
    for memory about a year ago so I could install XP (more dressing). I
    believed them when they said only DELL memory would work. The PC is a 10
    year old DELL Demension V350 P2 350 with 192 MB RAM and a 8 GB memory.
    With XP it was a slug. I am trying to learn Ubutuntu (Xubuntu) with it
    so I can teach my son to use it. My main PC is a Mac PPC G5. I have to
    use XP at work.

    Bill Baka wrote:

    > Can you add memory at all? Memory these days is so cheap you could
    > probably get a GB for under $50.00
    > Linux loves my 3GB and XP runs faster. Max out the machine, but you may
    > be putting a dress on a turkey.
    > I'm down to giving away some of my older dram, 50ns, or the 133 MHz type.
    > Bill Baka

  14. Re: Newbie help request

    TUX wrote:
    > More dressing on a turkey is exactly what I would have! I overpaid
    > DELL for memory about a year ago so I could install XP (more
    > dressing). I believed them when they said only DELL memory would work.
    > The PC is a 10 year old DELL Demension V350 P2 350 with 192 MB RAM and
    > a 8 GB memory. With XP it was a slug. I am trying to learn Ubutuntu
    > (Xubuntu) with it so I can teach my son to use it. My main PC is a Mac
    > PPC G5. I have to use XP at work.
    >
    > Bill Baka wrote:
    >
    >> Can you add memory at all? Memory these days is so cheap you could
    >> probably get a GB for under $50.00
    >> Linux loves my 3GB and XP runs faster. Max out the machine, but you may
    >> be putting a dress on a turkey.
    >> I'm down to giving away some of my older dram, 50ns, or the 133 MHz
    >> type.
    >> Bill Baka

    You just said what I expected, 'Dell' and if you open one up you will
    find a bunch of 'lowest bidder' inside.
    Good luck with that combo.
    Bill Baka

  15. Recommendations for desktop for Ubuntu?

    If Dell is not recommended, what do experience users recommend? I don't
    want to support Microsoft by buying a computer with Windows to just
    uninstalling it.

    Bill Baka wrote:

    > You just said what I expected, 'Dell' and if you open one up you will
    > find a bunch of 'lowest bidder' inside.
    > Good luck with that combo.
    > Bill Baka

  16. Re: Newbie help request

    If I reinstall Xubuntu using the alternate CD again, will my Firefox,
    Thunderbird, etc. settings be saved or overwritten?

    Will Wright wrote:
    > I don't know how but I lost my panel. When I go into setting manager and
    > click on it nothing happens. I downloaded and reinstalled the desktop
    > but it did not correct it. I made a new user and it works. I really
    > don't want to start over as a new user.
    >
    > How do I get panel back?

  17. Re: Recommendations for desktop for Ubuntu?

    On 2008-10-09, TUX wrote:
    > If Dell is not recommended, what do experience users recommend? I don't
    > want to support Microsoft by buying a computer with Windows to just
    > uninstalling it.
    >
    > Bill Baka wrote:
    >
    >> You just said what I expected, 'Dell' and if you open one up you will
    >> find a bunch of 'lowest bidder' inside.
    >> Good luck with that combo.
    >> Bill Baka

    1) Please don't top-post.

    2) Dell is fine. I've serviced every major brand of PC over the
    years. Dell's practices on hardware selection are not any different
    than any other major pc vendor. Well, better, maybe, since you get to
    choose what you want in the machine.

    Buy a Dell with Ubuntu pre-loaded, and you'll have no compatibility
    issues...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  18. Re: Newbie help request

    TUX wrote:

    > No. Due to lack of memory, I am using the Xfe desktop in Xubuntu.

    Please don't "top post" - it makes your replies difficult to follow, and
    many in this NG will either ignore you or berate you!

    C.

    A. Because it destroys the logical flow of conversation!

    Q. Why is "top posting" bad?

  19. Re: Newbie help request

    In <%UdHk.2513$jZ3.417@newsfe03.iad> TUX:

    As asked, please don't top post. Post following trimmed content, as this:

    > If I reinstall Xubuntu using the alternate CD again, will my Firefox,
    > Thunderbird, etc. settings be saved or overwritten?

    Depends: how you partitioned your install at gitgo, and how you tell any
    reinstall to partition. This is pretty much the case for any Linux.

    Personalization items like you mentioned are in a separate homespace.

    IIRC, all the Unbuntu-family installs default to cramming everything but
    swap into one partition (called root and symbolized by /).

    (Desktops, almost certainly--never done a Ubuntu server install, myself)

    Swap's usually a separate partition; so, there's / and there's swap, for
    most basic default Linux desktop installs.

    Under / you'll find homespace, in directory /home/UrUserName (or similar
    naming scheme, under /home).

    Seems like you want to preserve personalization items in homespace, over
    a reinstall.

    Solution: create a separate /home partition during the first install and
    DO NOT FORMAT IT during reinstall. Maybe too late now in your case (?).

    Or: use an archiver (tar, cpio, etc.) to save your homespace under /home
    to other storage (thumbdrive, external USB disk, etc.) before doing your
    reinstall. Then restore your archived homespace after reinstall.

    Simple, no?

    Maybe somebody else has specific Ubuntu info resources for more details.

    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

  20. Re: Recommendations for desktop for Ubuntu?

    Joe wrote:
    > 1) Please don't top-post.
    >
    > 2) Dell is fine. I've serviced every major brand of PC over the
    > years. Dell's practices on hardware selection are not any different
    > than any other major pc vendor. Well, better, maybe, since you get to
    > choose what you want in the machine.
    >
    > Buy a Dell with Ubuntu pre-loaded, and you'll have no compatibility
    > issues...

    Hope not!
    Even the Apollo moon missions were on lowest bidder.
    Wait and see.
    BTW, the stock market tanked today, so share holders may want to get out.
    Bill Baka

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast