Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 36 of 36

  1. Re: Recommendations for desktop for Ubuntu?

    On 2008-10-10, Bill Baka wrote:
    > Joe wrote:
    >> 1) Please don't top-post.
    >>
    >> 2) Dell is fine. I've serviced every major brand of PC over the
    >> years. Dell's practices on hardware selection are not any different
    >> than any other major pc vendor. Well, better, maybe, since you get to
    >> choose what you want in the machine.
    >>
    >> Buy a Dell with Ubuntu pre-loaded, and you'll have no compatibility
    >> issues...
    >>

    > Hope not!
    > Even the Apollo moon missions were on lowest bidder.
    > Wait and see.
    > BTW, the stock market tanked today, so share holders may want to get out.

    Why would people (other than those very close to retirement, or
    already retired) want to get out? This is the time to buy as much
    stock as you can afford. The largest amount of wealth is always
    created when the market is in shambles.

    The only exception might be if you think that it will never recover.
    I'm not in that group. It's a small one.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  2. Re: Newbie help request

    Harold Stevens wrote:

    > (Desktops, almost certainly--never done a Ubuntu server install, myself)
    >
    > Swap's usually a separate partition; so, there's / and there's swap, for
    > most basic default Linux desktop installs.
    >
    > Under / you'll find homespace, in directory /home/UrUserName (or similar
    > naming scheme, under /home).
    >
    > Seems like you want to preserve personalization items in homespace, over
    > a reinstall.
    >
    > Solution: create a separate /home partition during the first install and
    > DO NOT FORMAT IT during reinstall. Maybe too late now in your case (?).
    >
    > Or: use an archiver (tar, cpio, etc.) to save your homespace under /home
    > to other storage (thumbdrive, external USB disk, etc.) before doing your
    > reinstall. Then restore your archived homespace after reinstall.
    >
    > Simple, no?
    >
    > Maybe somebody else has specific Ubuntu info resources for more details.

    This may or may not help. (That's the disclaimer)
    I have one partition of about 10GB (ext3?) for the system core and 100GB
    reiserfs partition for all the rest, but no swap partition, and it works
    just fine with my 2GB and very little disk thrashing.
    It is also faster (just a bit, not too fast).
    With keychain attached USB drive getting into the multi-GB range that
    might make sense.
    Just some 'top of my head' ideas.
    Bill Baka

  3. Re: Recommendations for desktop for Ubuntu?

    Joe wrote:
    > On 2008-10-10, Bill Baka wrote:
    >
    >> Joe wrote:
    >>
    >>> 1) Please don't top-post.
    >>>
    >>> 2) Dell is fine. I've serviced every major brand of PC over the
    >>> years. Dell's practices on hardware selection are not any different
    >>> than any other major pc vendor. Well, better, maybe, since you get to
    >>> choose what you want in the machine.
    >>>
    >>> Buy a Dell with Ubuntu pre-loaded, and you'll have no compatibility
    >>> issues...
    >>>

    >> Hope not!
    >> Even the Apollo moon missions were on lowest bidder.
    >> Wait and see.
    >> BTW, the stock market tanked today, so share holders may want to get out.
    >>

    > Why would people (other than those very close to retirement, or
    > already retired) want to get out? This is the time to buy as much
    > stock as you can afford. The largest amount of wealth is always
    > created when the market is in shambles.

    Yeah, but the shambles are growing and I don't think it is bottomed out
    yet. Greedy traders (who produce no useful purpose in life) have caused
    this, and the firms behind them will probably keep going down.
    Sorry, today's biggest news story.
    Bill Baka
    > The only exception might be if you think that it will never recover.
    > I'm not in that group. It's a small one.

  4. Re: Newbie help request

    TUX wrote:
    > More dressing on a turkey is exactly what I would have! I overpaid DELL
    > for memory about a year ago so I could install XP (more dressing). I
    > believed them when they said only DELL memory would work. The PC is a 10
    > year old DELL Demension V350 P2 350 with 192 MB RAM and a 8 GB memory.
    > With XP it was a slug. I am trying to learn Ubutuntu (Xubuntu) with it
    > so I can teach my son to use it. My main PC is a Mac PPC G5. I have to
    > use XP at work.
    >
    > Bill Baka wrote:
    >
    >> Can you add memory at all? Memory these days is so cheap you could
    >> probably get a GB for under $50.00
    >> Linux loves my 3GB and XP runs faster. Max out the machine, but you may
    >> be putting a dress on a turkey.
    >> I'm down to giving away some of my older dram, 50ns, or the 133 MHz type.
    >> Bill Baka

    Hi, sorry to pipe up with a nit-pick but I wanted to mention two things:

    Your system seems to have 192 Megs of Memory &

    It seems to have an 8 Gig Hard Drive's worth of Storage.

    While the use of Megs, K (kilo), and Gigs is used for both memory chips
    and hard drive storage the use of 'memory' to talk about 'storage' is
    going to contribute to trouble down the line.

    TBerk

  5. Re: Newbie help request

    TBerk wrote:
    > TUX wrote:
    >> More dressing on a turkey is exactly what I would have! I overpaid
    >> DELL for memory about a year ago so I could install XP (more
    >> dressing). I believed them when they said only DELL memory would
    >> work. The PC is a 10 year old DELL Demension V350 P2 350 with 192 MB
    >> RAM and a 8 GB memory. With XP it was a slug. I am trying to learn
    >> Ubutuntu (Xubuntu) with it so I can teach my son to use it. My main
    >> PC is a Mac PPC G5. I have to use XP at work.

    > Hi, sorry to pipe up with a nit-pick but I wanted to mention two things:
    >
    > Your system seems to have 192 Megs of Memory &
    >
    > It seems to have an 8 Gig Hard Drive's worth of Storage.
    >
    > While the use of Megs, K (kilo), and Gigs is used for both memory
    > chips and hard drive storage the use of 'memory' to talk about
    > 'storage' is going to contribute to trouble down the line.
    >

    > TBerk

    Tell him what he needs to know. His computer is so old it won't even
    run linux.
    Maybe a high tech door stop or a DOS machine, but there is almost no way
    to make that thing fast enough for a satisfying Linux experience.
    Bill Baka

  6. Re: Newbie help request

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 23:27:38 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:

    > TBerk wrote:
    >> TUX wrote:
    >>> More dressing on a turkey is exactly what I would have! I overpaid
    >>> DELL for memory about a year ago so I could install XP (more
    >>> dressing). I believed them when they said only DELL memory would work.
    >>> The PC is a 10 year old DELL Demension V350 P2 350 with 192 MB RAM and
    >>> a 8 GB memory. With XP it was a slug. I am trying to learn Ubutuntu
    >>> (Xubuntu) with it so I can teach my son to use it. My main PC is a Mac
    >>> PPC G5. I have to use XP at work.

    >> Hi, sorry to pipe up with a nit-pick but I wanted to mention two
    >> things:
    >>
    >> Your system seems to have 192 Megs of Memory &
    >>
    >> It seems to have an 8 Gig Hard Drive's worth of Storage.
    >>
    >> While the use of Megs, K (kilo), and Gigs is used for both memory chips
    >> and hard drive storage the use of 'memory' to talk about 'storage' is
    >> going to contribute to trouble down the line.

    > Tell him what he needs to know. His computer is so old it won't even
    > run linux.

    I have an ancient Toshiba laptop happily running (Damn Small) Linux in 64
    MB memory and 2GB hard drive. Puppy is another option. With 192MB you
    might just get away with Xubuntu, I suspect.

    > Maybe a high tech door stop or a DOS machine, but there is almost no way
    > to make that thing fast enough for a satisfying Linux experience.

    Depends what's "satisfying" for you, I guess.

    --
    Lionel B

  7. Re: Newbie help request

    TBerk wrote:
    > TUX wrote:
    >> More dressing on a turkey is exactly what I would have! I overpaid
    >> DELL for memory about a year ago so I could install XP (more
    >> dressing). I believed them when they said only DELL memory would work.
    >> The PC is a 10 year old DELL Demension V350 P2 350 with 192 MB RAM and
    >> a 8 GB memory. With XP it was a slug. I am trying to learn Ubutuntu
    >> (Xubuntu) with it so I can teach my son to use it. My main PC is a Mac
    >> PPC G5. I have to use XP at work.
    >>
    >> Bill Baka wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can you add memory at all? Memory these days is so cheap you could
    >>> probably get a GB for under $50.00
    >>> Linux loves my 3GB and XP runs faster. Max out the machine, but you may
    >>> be putting a dress on a turkey.
    >>> I'm down to giving away some of my older dram, 50ns, or the 133 MHz
    >>> type.
    >>> Bill Baka

    > Hi, sorry to pipe up with a nit-pick but I wanted to mention two things:
    >
    > Your system seems to have 192 Megs of Memory &
    >
    > It seems to have an 8 Gig Hard Drive's worth of Storage.
    >
    > While the use of Megs, K (kilo), and Gigs is used for both memory chips
    > and hard drive storage the use of 'memory' to talk about 'storage' is
    > going to contribute to trouble down the line.
    >

    > TBerk

    This morning AOLU had seventy messages for me to read. I scanned
    thirty-seven before I got to yours, which was the first one concerning
    computers. Thanks for staying on-topic.

    --
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., ||

  8. Re: OT Newbie help request

    On 2008-10-10, AV3 wrote:
    > TBerk wrote:
    >> TUX wrote:
    >>> More dressing on a turkey is exactly what I would have! I overpaid
    >>> DELL for memory about a year ago so I could install XP (more
    >>> dressing). I believed them when they said only DELL memory would work.
    >>> The PC is a 10 year old DELL Demension V350 P2 350 with 192 MB RAM and
    >>> a 8 GB memory. With XP it was a slug. I am trying to learn Ubutuntu
    >>> (Xubuntu) with it so I can teach my son to use it. My main PC is a Mac
    >>> PPC G5. I have to use XP at work.
    >>>

    >> Hi, sorry to pipe up with a nit-pick but I wanted to mention two things:
    >>
    >> Your system seems to have 192 Megs of Memory &
    >>
    >> It seems to have an 8 Gig Hard Drive's worth of Storage.
    >>
    >> While the use of Megs, K (kilo), and Gigs is used for both memory chips
    >> and hard drive storage the use of 'memory' to talk about 'storage' is
    >> going to contribute to trouble down the line.
    >>
    >> TBerk

    > This morning AOLU had seventy messages for me to read. I scanned
    > thirty-seven before I got to yours, which was the first one concerning
    > computers. Thanks for staying on-topic.

    hmm, well you changed that pretty quickly Doh!

  9. Re: Newbie help request

    Will Wright wrote:
    > I don't know how but I lost my panel. When I go into setting manager and
    > click on it nothing happens. I downloaded and reinstalled the desktop
    > but it did not correct it. I made a new user and it works. I really
    > don't want to start over as a new user.
    >
    > How do I get panel back?

    Thanks for all the advise. I found the answer at
    http://forum.xfce.org/index.php?topic=3353.0 "Is the xfce4-panel
    application running (pgrep xfce4-panel)? If not: Alt+F2 for the run
    dialog, type xfce4-panel and click run." That fixed it.

  10. Re: Newbie help request

    Bill Baka wrote:
    > TBerk wrote:
    >> TUX wrote:
    >>> More dressing on a turkey is exactly what I would have! I overpaid
    >>> DELL for memory about a year ago so I could install XP (more
    >>> dressing). I believed them when they said only DELL memory would
    >>> work. The PC is a 10 year old DELL Demension V350 P2 350 with 192 MB
    >>> RAM and a 8 GB memory. With XP it was a slug. I am trying to learn
    >>> Ubutuntu (Xubuntu) with it so I can teach my son to use it. My main
    >>> PC is a Mac PPC G5. I have to use XP at work.

    >> Hi, sorry to pipe up with a nit-pick but I wanted to mention two things:
    >>
    >> Your system seems to have 192 Megs of Memory &
    >>
    >> It seems to have an 8 Gig Hard Drive's worth of Storage.
    >>
    >> While the use of Megs, K (kilo), and Gigs is used for both memory
    >> chips and hard drive storage the use of 'memory' to talk about
    >> 'storage' is going to contribute to trouble down the line.
    >>

    >> TBerk

    > Tell him what he needs to know. His computer is so old it won't even
    > run linux.
    > Maybe a high tech door stop or a DOS machine, but there is almost no way
    > to make that thing fast enough for a satisfying Linux experience.
    > Bill Baka

    I know this computer is old. I a just using it to learn Linux. If I do,
    I get a new one. On the other hand, a guy I met at a computer club
    meeting last night who builds computers said he could give me a better
    mother board and I could buy some new type ram for it cheap over the
    internet. He may do it for free if he does it for a presentation at the
    club meeting. If not, he only charges $25 per hour. I wouldn't think it
    would take over 30 minutes.

  11. Re: Newbie help request

    TUX wrote:
    > Bill Baka wrote:
    >> Tell him what he needs to know. His computer is so old it won't even
    >> run linux.
    >> Maybe a high tech door stop or a DOS machine, but there is almost no way
    >> to make that thing fast enough for a satisfying Linux experience.
    >> Bill Baka

    > I know this computer is old. I a just using it to learn Linux. If I
    > do, I get a new one. On the other hand, a guy I met at a computer club
    > meeting last night who builds computers said he could give me a better
    > mother board and I could buy some new type ram for it cheap over the
    > internet. He may do it for free if he does it for a presentation at
    > the club meeting. If not, he only charges $25 per hour. I wouldn't
    > think it would take over 30 minutes.

    That is a noble use for the death throes of an old computer, using it to
    learn.
    I don't know exactly what you have, but a mother board swap makes sense
    to me.
    My ASUS K8N is an AMD socket 754 and it is showing signs of getting slow
    on Ubuntu, and pathetic on windows.
    I build all my own and build them for friends and some for business use
    (home office, mainly) and even the 939 sockets are out of date. Now it
    is AM2 for the AMD crowd, myself included.
    Bill Baka

  12. Re: OT Newbie help request

    jane doa wrote:
    > On 2008-10-10, AV3 wrote:
    >> TBerk wrote:
    >>> TUX wrote:
    >>>
    >>> While the use of Megs, K (kilo), and Gigs is used for both memory chips
    >>> and hard drive storage the use of 'memory' to talk about 'storage' is
    >>> going to contribute to trouble down the line.
    >>>
    >>> TBerk

    >> This morning AOLU had seventy messages for me to read. I scanned
    >> thirty-seven before I got to yours, which was the first one concerning
    >> computers. Thanks for staying on-topic.
    >>

    > hmm, well you changed that pretty quickly Doh!

    Gotcha! The topic of AOLU is always on-topic, by definition, in this
    message as well as in my last. And so I refrain from regaling you with
    my well thought-out and cogent opinions on American politics, the
    American economy, comparison of automobiles, and pedantry about
    comparative weights and measures.

    --
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., ||
    ||Arnoldo VIKTORO, Nov-jorkurbo, t. e., ||
    ||Remove capital letters from e-mail address for correct address/ ||
    || Forigu majusklajn literojn el e-poŝta adreso por ĝusta adreso ||
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security
    Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice.
    They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You
    have no recourse or protection.
    --
    {\rtf1\mac\ansicpg10000\cocoartf824\cocoasubrtf420
    {\fonttbl\f0\fmodern\fcharset77 Courier;}

    \f0\fs18 \cf0 --- \
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++\
    ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., ||\
    ||Arnoldo VIKTORO, Nov-jorkurbo, t. e., ||\
    ||Remove capital letters from e-mail address for correct address/ ||\
    || Forigu majusklajn literojn el e-po\uc0\u349 ta adreso por \u285
    usta adreso || \
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++\
    \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\ql\qnatural
    \cf0 NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security \
    Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice. \
    They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You \
    have no recourse or protection.}

  13. Re: OT Newbie help request

    AV3 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Gotcha! The topic of AOLU is always on-topic, by definition, in this
    > message as well as in my last. And so I refrain from regaling you with
    > my well thought-out and cogent opinions on American politics, the
    > American economy, comparison of automobiles, and pedantry about
    > comparative weights and measures.

    But unfortunately, you're doing nothing less than adding to the noise
    you were originally complaining about.

    In other words, if you want to keep solely on topic, then please feel
    free to do so. Practice what you preach.

    As for me, I'm loving the direction Intrepid is taking. Have you tried
    it?

    Mr. Shuttleworth believes Intrepid is going to give Ubuntu a big push
    onto the desktop. From what I've seen so far, I cannot argue.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  14. Re: OT Newbie help request

    On 2008-10-11, Moog wrote:

    > As for me, I'm loving the direction Intrepid is taking. Have you tried
    > it?

    I'm still running Dapper on my day-to-day box - will update to 8.04
    LTS near to when Dapper becomes unsupported. Recently acquired an
    "oldish" laptop (Asus L3C) and put Gutsy on it, and will upgrade it to
    Hardy over the next couple of days. If all goes well I might try
    Intrepid - hmm, curious now!

  15. Re: OT Newbie help request

    jane doa illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2008-10-11, Moog wrote:
    >>
    >> As for me, I'm loving the direction Intrepid is taking. Have you tried
    >> it?
    >>

    > I'm still running Dapper on my day-to-day box - will update to 8.04
    > LTS near to when Dapper becomes unsupported. Recently acquired an
    > "oldish" laptop (Asus L3C) and put Gutsy on it, and will upgrade it to
    > Hardy over the next couple of days. If all goes well I might try
    > Intrepid - hmm, curious now!

    It is still in Beta. But it is fantastic. A lot of improvements have
    happened, and I woudl suggest you give it a go if yuou're still
    running 6.06. The difference is amazing.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  16. Re: OT Newbie help request

    Moog wrote:
    > AV3 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >> Gotcha! The topic of AOLU is always on-topic, by definition, in this
    >> message as well as in my last. And so I refrain from regaling you with
    >> my well thought-out and cogent opinions on American politics, the
    >> American economy, comparison of automobiles, and pedantry about
    >> comparative weights and measures.

    > But unfortunately, you're doing nothing less than adding to the noise
    > you were originally complaining about.
    >
    > In other words, if you want to keep solely on topic, then please feel
    > free to do so. Practice what you preach.

    I have only interjected two quite brief messages amid dozens of lengthy
    and clearly off-topic messages, with the purpose of supporting on-topic
    discussion, which I still maintain is an on-topic theme, in the present
    circumstances not noise at all.

    > As for me, I'm loving the direction Intrepid is taking. Have you tried
    > it?

    As an Ubuntu-on-Mac user, I presume there is no beta available for
    installation on a Mac. Please enlighten my ignorance on this point, as I
    never thought to check it out. But since I am traveling at the moment
    and have no opportunity to do an install, I expect to be just in time
    for an upgrade when I get home.

    > Mr. Shuttleworth believes Intrepid is going to give Ubuntu a big push
    > onto the desktop. From what I've seen so far, I cannot argue.

    --
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., ||
    ||Arnoldo VIKTORO, Nov-jorkurbo, t. e., ||
    ||Remove capital letters from e-mail address for correct address/ ||
    || Forigu majusklajn literojn el e-poŝta adreso por ĝusta adreso ||
    NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security
    Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice.
    They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You
    have no recourse or protection.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2