Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash. - Ubuntu ; On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 17:38:29 -0700, Bill Baka wrote: > I got a message from my provider (Comcast) that they were not going to > carry news anymore but I could sign up for Giganews starting at a basic ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

  1. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 17:38:29 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:

    > I got a message from my provider (Comcast) that they were not going to
    > carry news anymore but I could sign up for Giganews starting at a basic
    > 2GB/month and up to whatever my wallet can afford. On top of that insult
    > they now want sell me a 16Mb upgrade from my 7.75Mb for $10 more per
    > month.


    I got the same message. I'm considering using Teranews (http://
    teranews.com/) as my replacement server.

    And I agree about the President.


  2. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    James Dearing wrote in news:Wb2dnT4--
    _pjlXHVnZ2dnUVZ_vKdnZ2d@comcast.com:

    > On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 17:38:29 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:
    >
    >> I got a message from my provider (Comcast) that they were not going to
    >> carry news anymore but I could sign up for Giganews starting at a basic
    >> 2GB/month and up to whatever my wallet can afford. On top of that insult
    >> they now want sell me a 16Mb upgrade from my 7.75Mb for $10 more per
    >> month.

    >
    > I got the same message. I'm considering using Teranews (http://
    > teranews.com/) as my replacement server.



    Been using the freebie news.motzarella.org server for a couple of months
    now....been really good. No binaries though. Small niggle....several
    groups I subscribed to, that where listed in the master newsgroup list
    (newsrc??) returned a "newsgroup not found on server" error message; the
    approx 30 others I subscribe to seem to work just fine. :-)



  3. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    James Dearing wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 17:38:29 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:
    >
    >
    >> I got a message from my provider (Comcast) that they were not going to
    >> carry news anymore but I could sign up for Giganews starting at a basic
    >> 2GB/month and up to whatever my wallet can afford. On top of that insult
    >> they now want sell me a 16Mb upgrade from my 7.75Mb for $10 more per
    >> month.
    >>

    >
    > I got the same message. I'm considering using Teranews (http://
    > teranews.com/) as my replacement server.
    >
    > And I agree about the President.
    >
    >

    Both Bush's and Ronnie. I say that because they have caused the USA to
    tank and ran up the national debt starting with Reagan, leveling it out
    in Clinton's time and Baby Bush just about killing the country I grew up
    in. Jimmy Carter had the national debt, not so Reagan.
    Bill Baka

  4. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    James Dearing wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 17:38:29 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:
    >
    >> I got a message from my provider (Comcast) that they were not going to
    >> carry news anymore but I could sign up for Giganews starting at a basic
    >> 2GB/month and up to whatever my wallet can afford. On top of that insult
    >> they now want sell me a 16Mb upgrade from my 7.75Mb for $10 more per
    >> month.

    >
    > I got the same message. I'm considering using Teranews (http://
    > teranews.com/) as my replacement server.
    >
    > And I agree about the President.
    >

    I have been using Terra News free for a year and it is just fine. No
    problems and all the NG,s I need.

    Frank
    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  5. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 20:12:30 -0500, James Dearing wrote:

    > On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 17:38:29 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:
    >
    >> I got a message from my provider (Comcast) that they were not going to
    >> carry news anymore but I could sign up for Giganews starting at a basic
    >> 2GB/month and up to whatever my wallet can afford. On top of that
    >> insult they now want sell me a 16Mb upgrade from my 7.75Mb for $10 more
    >> per month.

    >
    > I got the same message. I'm considering using Teranews (http://
    > teranews.com/) as my replacement server.
    >
    > And I agree about the President.


    news.individual.net will run one euro per month.

  6. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    propman wrote:
    > James Dearing wrote in news:Wb2dnT4--
    > _pjlXHVnZ2dnUVZ_vKdnZ2d@comcast.com:
    >
    >> On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 17:38:29 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:
    >>
    >>> I got a message from my provider (Comcast) that they were not
    >>> going to carry news anymore but I could sign up for Giganews
    >>> starting at a basic 2GB/month and up to whatever my wallet can
    >>> afford. On top of that insult they now want sell me a 16Mb
    >>> upgrade from my 7.75Mb for $10 more per month.

    >> I got the same message. I'm considering using Teranews (http://
    >> teranews.com/) as my replacement server.

    >
    >
    > Been using the freebie news.motzarella.org server for a couple of
    > months now....been really good. No binaries though. Small
    > niggle....several groups I subscribed to, that where listed in the
    > master newsgroup list (newsrc??) returned a "newsgroup not found
    > on server" error message; the approx 30 others I subscribe to seem
    > to work just fine. :-)
    >
    >


    Even with the recent influx of users abandoned by their ISP's, I'm
    unaware of any other newsgroup even approaching the speedy, friendly,
    and reliable feedback of motzarella.info

    Have you asked there for access to the elusive (non binary) groups?

    --
    Bob
    ha-ha, and Ray won't bump this as spam either

  7. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    frankjg wrote:

    > I have been using Terra News free for a year and it is just fine. No
    > problems and all the NG,s I need.
    >
    > Frank
    > ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **


    I tried teranews for a while, but I found it horribly slow, and often
    unreliable. I moved to the very inexpensive, paid-for /individual/ and
    have had no further problems.


    C.

  8. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    Bob wrote:
    > propman wrote:
    >> James Dearing wrote in news:Wb2dnT4--
    >> _pjlXHVnZ2dnUVZ_vKdnZ2d@comcast.com:
    >>
    >>> On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 17:38:29 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I got a message from my provider (Comcast) that they were not going
    >>>> to carry news anymore but I could sign up for Giganews starting at a
    >>>> basic 2GB/month and up to whatever my wallet can
    >>>> afford. On top of that insult they now want sell me a 16Mb upgrade
    >>>> from my 7.75Mb for $10 more per month.
    >>> I got the same message. I'm considering using Teranews (http://
    >>> teranews.com/) as my replacement server.

    >>
    >>
    >> Been using the freebie news.motzarella.org server for a couple of
    >> months now....been really good. No binaries though. Small
    >> niggle....several groups I subscribed to, that where listed in the
    >> master newsgroup list (newsrc??) returned a "newsgroup not found on
    >> server" error message; the approx 30 others I subscribe to seem
    >> to work just fine. :-)
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Even with the recent influx of users abandoned by their ISP's, I'm
    > unaware of any other newsgroup even approaching the speedy, friendly,
    > and reliable feedback of motzarella.info
    >
    > Have you asked there for access to the elusive (non binary) groups?
    >


    Oops.

    I should have checked first :-(
    For group requests, its:- motzarella.grouprequests

    HTH

    --
    Bob
    "I don't believe in evil, I believe in right and wrong, and very
    often they are the same thing"-Paul Theroux, in Milroy the Magician.

  9. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    James Dearing wrote the following in
    alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Wed, 08 Oct 2008 01:12:30 GMT

    > I got the same message. I'm considering using Teranews (http://
    > teranews.com/) as my replacement server.


    They suck as a free usenet service. I'd recommend aioe.org or
    motzarella.org. If you're more into binaries you may need to consider a
    paid service though.

    --
    Nothing in the world is more dangerous than
    sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity.

    -Martin Luther King, Jr.

  10. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    Bob wrote in news:gciebb$4hk$1
    @registered.motzarella.org:

    >> Even with the recent influx of users abandoned by their ISP's, I'm
    >> unaware of any other newsgroup even approaching the speedy, friendly,
    >> and reliable feedback of motzarella.info
    >>
    >> Have you asked there for access to the elusive (non binary) groups?
    >>

    >
    > Oops.
    >
    > I should have checked first :-(
    > For group requests, its:- motzarella.grouprequests
    >
    > HTH
    >



    Thanks for sending this along, Bob....much appreciated. :-)


  11. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 18:48:22 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:

    > Both Bush's and Ronnie. I say that because they have caused the USA to
    > tank and ran up the national debt starting with Reagan, leveling it out
    > in Clinton's time and Baby Bush just about killing the country I grew up
    > in. Jimmy Carter had the national debt, not so Reagan.


    I always knew you were clueless, but this is your best proof yet.

    Hard to believe that a human being can be this stupid, and yet have enough
    brain function to continue breathing.

    Here's a couple of pics to broaden your political knowledge:

    http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/republican.jpg
    http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/liberalbear.jpg



    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org


  12. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    frankjg wrote:
    > James Dearing wrote:
    >> On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 17:38:29 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:
    >>
    >>> I got a message from my provider (Comcast) that they were not going to
    >>> carry news anymore but I could sign up for Giganews starting at a basic
    >>> 2GB/month and up to whatever my wallet can afford. On top of that
    >>> insult
    >>> they now want sell me a 16Mb upgrade from my 7.75Mb for $10 more per
    >>> month.

    >>
    >> I got the same message. I'm considering using Teranews (http://
    >> teranews.com/) as my replacement server.
    >>
    >> And I agree about the President.
    >>

    > I have been using Terra News free for a year and it is just fine. No
    > problems and all the NG,s I need.
    >
    > Frank
    > ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

    I went there and Giganews and they both wanted $$$ to join.
    Where does free come at?
    Bill Baka

  13. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    Bill Baka wrote the following in alt.os.linux.ubuntu on
    Wed, 08 Oct 2008 22:25:55 GMT

    > I went there and Giganews and they both wanted $$$ to join.
    > Where does free come at?


    AIOE or Motzarella doesn't require $$ to sign up IIRC.

    --
    Nothing in the world is more dangerous than
    sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity.

    -Martin Luther King, Jr.

  14. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 18:48:22 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:
    >
    >
    >> Both Bush's and Ronnie. I say that because they have caused the USA to
    >> tank and ran up the national debt starting with Reagan, leveling it out
    >> in Clinton's time and Baby Bush just about killing the country I grew up
    >> in. Jimmy Carter had the national debt, not so Reagan.
    >>

    >
    > I always knew you were clueless, but this is your best proof yet.
    >
    > Hard to believe that a human being can be this stupid, and yet have enough
    > brain function to continue breathing.
    >
    > Here's a couple of pics to broaden your political knowledge:
    >
    > http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/republican.jpg
    > http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/liberalbear.jpg
    >
    >
    >
    > You are die hard Republican so please do it before you can vote.

    Republicans are flat out corrupt idiots.
    I registered Democrat this year but I will cross party lines if I need to.
    I have run into people who vote a straight Republican ticket no matter
    who is running.
    How about a McCain doll with a pull string on the back (or batteries)
    for a "Bush was good but McCain is better".
    I go from measure to measure and the local officials and just try to
    pick out the 'least stupid or corrupt'.
    Bill Baka

  15. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    In article <48ed3522$0$31762$6d5eeec5@news.tigerusenet.com>, Ghostintheshell wrote:
    >Bill Baka wrote the following in alt.os.linux.ubuntu on
    >Wed, 08 Oct 2008 22:25:55 GMT
    >
    >> I went there and Giganews and they both wanted $$$ to join.
    >> Where does free come at?

    >
    >AIOE or Motzarella doesn't require $$ to sign up IIRC.


    Aioe are responsive too and run a useful aioe.news.helpdesk group.



  16. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <48ed3522$0$31762$6d5eeec5@news.tigerusenet.com>, Ghostintheshell wrote:
    >> AIOE or Motzarella doesn't require $$ to sign up IIRC.
    >>

    >
    > Aioe are responsive too and run a useful aioe.news.helpdesk group.
    >

    Thanks to all. Now I have 3 sources. So far I have been using my friends
    SBCGlobal account and all is good except for no binaries at all.
    Bill Baka

  17. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 16:16:13 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:

    >> Here's a couple of pics to broaden your political knowledge:
    >>
    >> http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/republican.jpg
    >> http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/liberalbear.jpg


    > Republicans are flat out corrupt idiots.


    Right. There's no corruption among Dimocrats, though, eh? Does the name
    Charlie Rangel ring a bell?

    > How about a McCain doll with a pull string on the back (or batteries)
    > for a "Bush was good but McCain is better".


    I'm no McCain fan. I will be voting for him, however, considering the
    only other choice I have to choose from.

    > I go from measure to measure and the local officials and just try to
    > pick out the 'least stupid or corrupt'.


    Not a bad strategy. See above regarding reasons to choose McCain.

    Obama is nothing but a socialist who wants to make the US a cesspool of
    government handouts and high taxes. His ultimate goal of course is to
    model the US after one of the former USSR bloc countries.


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org


  18. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 23:33:06 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    >>AIOE or Motzarella doesn't require $$ to sign up IIRC.


    > Aioe are responsive too and run a useful aioe.news.helpdesk group.


    AIOE is a well-known haven of trolls, spammers, and general assholes.
    Many folks filter out all posts which originate from such a sewer.


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org


  19. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    On 2008-10-09, Dan C wrote:
    > On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 16:16:13 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:
    >
    >>> Here's a couple of pics to broaden your political knowledge:
    >>>
    >>> http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/republican.jpg
    >>> http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/liberalbear.jpg

    >
    >> Republicans are flat out corrupt idiots.

    >
    > Right. There's no corruption among Dimocrats, though, eh? Does the name
    > Charlie Rangel ring a bell?
    >
    >> How about a McCain doll with a pull string on the back (or batteries)
    >> for a "Bush was good but McCain is better".

    >
    > I'm no McCain fan. I will be voting for him, however, considering the
    > only other choice I have to choose from.


    There are other choices, though everyone in this country seems to
    ignore them. We prattle on about needing better choices, but always
    come back to voting for the big 2, then complaining about how they are
    ****ing up the country.

    I haven't voted for a Democrat OR a Republican for president since I
    first started voting. I won't be starting now. I'll vote for one of
    the big 2 when they give me a candidate that actually has the interest
    of the people of the country in mind with his policies. Neither of
    these bozos could give a **** less...


    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    "Hate is baggage, life is too short to go around pissed off all the
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  20. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    Dan C wrote:
    >
    >> Republicans are flat out corrupt idiots.
    >>

    Just more corrupt than the Democrats is all.
    >
    > Right. There's no corruption among Dimocrats, though, eh? Does the name
    > Charlie Rangel ring a bell?
    >

    Democrats are not stupid but they have had their hands tied for the last
    many elections.
    >
    >> How about a McCain doll with a pull string on the back (or batteries)
    >> for a "Bush was good but McCain is better".
    >>

    >
    > I'm no McCain fan. I will be voting for him, however, considering the
    > only other choice I have to choose from.
    >

    If you vote for McCain that will just hasten us to most hated country in
    the world.
    I support our troops, just not that idiot in the white house. The best
    support for our troops would be to send them home and Bush over there so
    he could at least claim to be "In harms way".
    >
    >> I go from measure to measure and the local officials and just try to
    >> pick out the 'least stupid or corrupt'.
    >>

    >
    > Not a bad strategy. See above regarding reasons to choose McCain.
    >

    He's too old and most likely we would get 4 more years of this crap. We
    are effectively bankrupt as a country.
    > Obama is nothing but a socialist who wants to make the US a cesspool of
    > government handouts and high taxes. His ultimate goal of course is to
    > model the US after one of the former USSR bloc countries.
    >
    > McCain I might believe that, but not with Obama.
    >

    I was born in Chicago and my dad taught me one thing, never ever go on
    foot, bus, or el to the south.
    If Obama wants to be taken seriously he needs to lose all ties to that
    area, and not just his church.
    Bill Baka

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast