Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash. - Ubuntu ; Dan C wrote: > On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 23:33:06 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote: > > >>> AIOE or Motzarella doesn't require $$ to sign up IIRC. >>> > > >> Aioe are responsive too and run a useful aioe.news.helpdesk ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 39 of 39

  1. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 23:33:06 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >

    >>> AIOE or Motzarella doesn't require $$ to sign up IIRC.
    >>>

    >> Aioe are responsive too and run a useful aioe.news.helpdesk group.
    >>

    > AIOE is a well-known haven of trolls, spammers, and general assholes.
    > Many folks filter out all posts which originate from such a sewer.
    >
    > I've checked them out but haven't joined any, yet.

  2. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    Joe wrote:
    > On 2008-10-09, Dan C wrote:
    >> I'm no McCain fan. I will be voting for him, however, considering the
    >> only other choice I have to choose from.
    >>

    > There are other choices, though everyone in this country seems to
    > ignore them. We prattle on about needing better choices, but always
    > come back to voting for the big 2, then complaining about how they are
    > ****ing up the country.
    >
    > I haven't voted for a Democrat OR a Republican for president since I
    > first started voting. I won't be starting now. I'll vote for one of
    > the big 2 when they give me a candidate that actually has the interest
    > of the people of the country in mind with his policies. Neither of
    > these bozos could give a **** less...
    >

    > I'm one of those guys who think we should do away with the 2 party process also.

    Where for art thou, Tory's and Whigs, and independent on a party.
    With no party they could actually do something.
    Watch the Senate or Congress and they are seated with one party on one
    side of the isle and the others one the other side. If a Democrat
    initiates a bill, even a perfectly good one the vote always comes down
    to Democrats voting for it and the Republicans against it.
    Yes, Washington, D.C. is becoming the biggest problem this country faces.
    It was Bush's war that started all this and McCain won't be in a hurry
    to fix it, he'll just send more troops to get killed in the sand.
    Bill Baka

  3. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 20:32:00 -0500, Joe wrote:

    >> I'm no McCain fan. I will be voting for him, however, considering the
    >> only other choice I have to choose from.

    > There are other choices, though everyone in this country seems to ignore
    > them. We prattle on about needing better choices, but always come back
    > to voting for the big 2, then complaining about how they are ****ing up
    > the country.

    There is some truth to that, but one of the two major parties *WILL* win
    the election. It's a simple fact.

    > I haven't voted for a Democrat OR a Republican for president since I
    > first started voting. I won't be starting now.

    Then you will be wasting your vote. It's a fine thing in principle to
    vote for someone else, but it accomplishes absolutely nothing.

    > I'll vote for one of the big 2 when they give me a candidate that
    > actually has the interest of the people of the country in mind with his
    > policies.

    That's not likely to happen any time soon. Certainly not this year.

    Again, it's (sort of) admirable to vote for someone you think may actually
    care, but it's pure folly to think it will count for anything. You may as
    well just stay at home and not vote. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not
    saying that's right, but it is reality.

  4. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    James Dearing wrote:
    > Bill Baka wrote:
    >
    >> I got a message from my provider (Comcast) that they were not
    >> going to carry news anymore but I could sign up for Giganews
    >> starting at a basic 2GB/month and up to whatever my wallet can
    >> afford. On top of that insult they now want sell me a 16Mb
    >> upgrade from my 7.75Mb for $10 more per month.

    > I got the same message. I'm considering using Teranews (http://
    > teranews.com/) as my replacement server.
    >
    > And I agree about the President.

    Some free news servers. I use motzarella, teranews and gmane.
    (1 time charge) (free)
    (free)
    (free)
    (free)
    (free)
    (mail-lists via news) (free)
    (pay)
    <http://www.individual.net/ (low pay)

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  5. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    On 2008-10-09, Dan C wrote:
    > On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 20:32:00 -0500, Joe wrote:
    >
    >>> I'm no McCain fan. I will be voting for him, however, considering the
    >>> only other choice I have to choose from.

    >> There are other choices, though everyone in this country seems to ignore
    >> them. We prattle on about needing better choices, but always come back
    >> to voting for the big 2, then complaining about how they are ****ing up
    >> the country.

    > There is some truth to that, but one of the two major parties *WILL* win
    > the election. It's a simple fact.
    >
    >> I haven't voted for a Democrat OR a Republican for president since I
    >> first started voting. I won't be starting now.

    > Then you will be wasting your vote. It's a fine thing in principle to
    > vote for someone else, but it accomplishes absolutely nothing.

    What is your definition of "wasting" a vote? I live in NY. There is
    no chance of a Republican winning the state, so voting for anything
    but Obama will be a "waste". I don't look at it that way, though.
    The only way to affect change is little by little. I'll continue to
    be in the 1%. We may lose now, but eventually we'll likely have
    enough support to at least affect the big 2, if not becoming actually
    competitive (remember Perot?)

    >> I'll vote for one of the big 2 when they give me a candidate that
    >> actually has the interest of the people of the country in mind with his
    >> policies.

    > That's not likely to happen any time soon. Certainly not this year.
    >
    > Again, it's (sort of) admirable to vote for someone you think may actually
    > care, but it's pure folly to think it will count for anything. You may as
    > well just stay at home and not vote. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not
    > saying that's right, but it is reality.

    "Third" parties have had effect on policy for quite some time. They
    may not draft it, but both sides look for support from the small
    parties for issue-by-issue support. No vote is wasted. If I broke
    down and voted for the least evil of the big 2, I'd still be casting a
    losing vote here, anyhow...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  6. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    Bill Baka wrote:

    > He's too old and most likely we would get 4 more years of this crap.

    It's worse than that! As one of your commentators said last week, it's
    scary that Palin would just be a 78-year-old heartbeat away from the Oval
    Office.

    > We are effectively bankrupt as a country.

    You have been for years, unfortunately. The USA is now a net imported of
    fuel, and you're going to find that the rest of the world is going to
    increase oil prices progressively over the next few years. In times to
    come, the American economy will be /entirely/ dictated by the supply of
    oil, and you'll be embroiled in ever more spurious wars in an effort to
    secure supplies.

    Cynic mode on:

    You can be fairly sure that the next terrorist attacks on the USA will be
    from Venezuelans and Nigerians...

    Cynic mode off.

    C.

  7. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    Bill Baka wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > My stepdaughter and her kids don't worry about it because she can
    > 'borrow' from gramps (stepfather) and mom (real). They are into me
    > for about $9,000 thanks to my wife trying to spoil them even more.

    My wife, children, and step-children were a reasonably happy family
    for 35 to 40 years. Then my wife died over 4 years ago. She was
    the sole official owner of the house (which was the only tangible
    thing left). I had the mortgage. She was intestate, and the
    step-children decided to get as much as they could. The result was
    a property division and the mortgage got paid out of my portion of
    that. I didn't even recognize the stabbing until later - they did
    it while I was in the hospital for a triple heart bypass. At any
    rate, they got a few dollars they didn't deserve, and lost all
    trust from me and my own children.

    Luckily we had transferred our summer property to our kids ahead of
    time, but only after the others had expressed disinterest.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  8. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    James Dearing wrote:

    >I got the same message. I'm considering using Teranews (http://
    >teranews.com/) as my replacement server.

    I haven't gotten that email yet, but it's one more reason to switch to
    dsl. Although, I'm not sure I can get dsl in this apartment complex;
    I haven't gotten any ads for telephone tv. I think the phone lines
    are desperately in need of upgrading.

  9. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    Todd wrote:
    > Bill Baka wrote:
    >
    >>> I got a message from my provider (Comcast) that they were not going to
    >>> carry news anymore but I could sign up for Giganews starting at a basic
    >>> 2GB/month and up to whatever my wallet can afford. On top of that insult
    >>> they now want sell me a 16Mb upgrade from my 7.75Mb for $10 more per
    >>> month.

    > James Dearing wrote:
    >
    >> I got the same message. I'm considering using Teranews (http://
    >> teranews.com/) as my replacement server.

    > I haven't gotten that email yet, but it's one more reason to switch to
    > dsl. Although, I'm not sure I can get dsl in this apartment complex;
    > I haven't gotten any ads for telephone tv. I think the phone lines
    > are desperately in need of upgrading.

    Be careful. Most carriers are dropping Usenet. Take a look at Astraweb.
    I have the 110 gb plan for life at $25. It's good forever. Since they
    only charge for message bodies downloaded, I figure that 110 gb will
    last for another 10 years.

    Dave Thompson

  10. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    Todd wrote:

    > I haven't gotten that email yet, but it's one more reason to switch
    > to dsl. Although, I'm not sure I can get dsl in this apartment
    > complex; I haven't gotten any ads for telephone tv. I think the
    > phone lines are desperately in need of upgrading.

    In most circumstances, cable internet is more reliable and faster than
    your average DSL connection. If I were you, I would stay with Comcast
    for internet, and get your Usenet elsewhere.

    Who is the DSL/phone company in your area? They have probably already
    dropped Usenet.

    --
    -bts

  11. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    Joe wrote:

    >There are other choices, though everyone in this country seems to
    >ignore them. We prattle on about needing better choices, but always
    >come back to voting for the big 2, then complaining about how they are
    >****ing up the country.
    >
    >I haven't voted for a Democrat OR a Republican for president since I
    >first started voting. I won't be starting now. I'll vote for one of
    >the big 2 when they give me a candidate that actually has the interest
    >of the people of the country in mind with his policies. Neither of
    >these bozos could give a **** less...

    Yeah, they say voting for a third party candidate is throwing your
    vote away, but I say voting for the two major parties is thowing your
    vote away.

    Republican (which I'm registered as):
    Take from the middle class to give to the rich.

    Democrat:
    Take from the middle class to give a little to the poor and most to
    the rich.

    I still don't understand why Republicans, particularly the Christians,
    didn't abandon the party in droves after Bush Jr won his second
    election. There's a perfect party for us to run to: American
    Independent. It's the party I've voted for since the election after
    Perot ran.

  12. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    "Todd" wrote in message
    > Joe wrote:
    >
    >>There are other choices, though everyone in this country seems to
    >>ignore them. We prattle on about needing better choices, but always
    >>come back to voting for the big 2, then complaining about how they are
    >>****ing up the country.
    >>
    >>I haven't voted for a Democrat OR a Republican for president since I
    >>first started voting. I won't be starting now. I'll vote for one of
    >>the big 2 when they give me a candidate that actually has the interest
    >>of the people of the country in mind with his policies. Neither of
    >>these bozos could give a **** less...

    > Yeah, they say voting for a third party candidate is throwing your
    > vote away, but I say voting for the two major parties is thowing your
    > vote away.
    >
    > Republican (which I'm registered as):
    > Take from the middle class to give to the rich.
    >
    > Democrat:
    > Take from the middle class to give a little to the poor and most to
    > the rich.
    >
    > I still don't understand why Republicans, particularly the Christians,
    > didn't abandon the party in droves after Bush Jr won his second
    > election. There's a perfect party for us to run to: American
    > Independent. It's the party I've voted for since the election after
    > Perot ran.

    Put a monkey in office.
    You will see a small difference from the past.
    I would elect a placard if it would get on the ballot.

    --
    Ens causa sui
    Fit caedes omnibus locis

  13. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    Todd wrote:
    > Bill Baka wrote:
    >
    >>> I got a message from my provider (Comcast) that they were not going to
    >>> carry news anymore but I could sign up for Giganews starting at a basic
    >>> 2GB/month and up to whatever my wallet can afford. On top of that insult
    >>> they now want sell me a 16Mb upgrade from my 7.75Mb for $10 more per
    >>> month.

    > James Dearing wrote:
    >
    >> I got the same message. I'm considering using Teranews (http://
    >> teranews.com/) as my replacement server.

    That one is the other well known news server, so it becomes "Who do I pay?".

    > I haven't gotten that email yet, but it's one more reason to switch to
    > dsl. Although, I'm not sure I can get dsl in this apartment complex;
    > I haven't gotten any ads for telephone tv. I think the phone lines
    > are desperately in need of upgrading.

    If cable is available to you that would get the fastest speed.
    If not, and the phone lines are not capable, it might be time to move.
    The high speed phone service is only to the building. If maintenance
    does not consider the tenants Internet as important, that should be a
    clue to "Get out of Dodge" as the old western saying went.
    Moving might be a last resort for you, but you said 'apartment' and not
    house. I have a house jam packed with stuff and with real estate where
    it is at I'm staying put.
    Both Teranews and giganews have structured plans where you pay more and
    get more.
    Best of Luck to you,
    Bill Baka

  14. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Todd wrote:
    >
    >> I haven't gotten that email yet, but it's one more reason to switch
    >> to dsl. Although, I'm not sure I can get dsl in this apartment
    >> complex; I haven't gotten any ads for telephone tv. I think the
    >> phone lines are desperately in need of upgrading.

    > In most circumstances, cable internet is more reliable and faster than
    > your average DSL connection. If I were you, I would stay with Comcast
    > for internet, and get your Usenet elsewhere.

    That is very good advice, since there is no way of knowing how the
    building is wired. It could be so old that your DSL drops under 1Mbps.

    > Who is the DSL/phone company in your area? They have probably already
    > dropped Usenet.

    The problem with that is that when people signed up Usenet was part of
    the package and now they are taking that service away and not dropping
    the bill by $5.00 or so. I think that legally that may be breach of
    contract.
    Bill Baka

    nntp.aioe.org is what I am using these days since it is a free non
    binary site.

    There is also edisontel.com (org?) but you can only read and not post.

  15. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 22:29:50 -0700, Dave Thompson wrote:

    > Todd wrote:

    >> James Dearing wrote:
    >>
    >>> I got the same message. I'm considering using Teranews (http://
    >>> teranews.com/) as my replacement server.

    >> I haven't gotten that email yet, but it's one more reason to switch to
    >> dsl. Although, I'm not sure I can get dsl in this apartment complex;
    >> I haven't gotten any ads for telephone tv. I think the phone lines
    >> are desperately in need of upgrading.
    >>

    > Be careful. Most carriers are dropping Usenet. Take a look at Astraweb.
    > I have the 110 gb plan for life at $25. It's good forever. Since they
    > only charge for message bodies downloaded, I figure that 110 gb will
    > last for another 10 years.
    >
    > Dave Thompson

    I believe, sadly, that the writing is on the wall.
    USENET is a dying ****roach on it's back.

    Many people don't even realize it exists and the explosion of blogging has
    made it pretty much a dinosaur.

    Don't get me wrong, I love and cut my teeth on USENET, but I believe it
    will be gone in the near future much like BBS's disappeared.

  16. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    On 2008-10-26, Todd wrote:
    > Joe wrote:
    >
    >>There are other choices, though everyone in this country seems to
    >>ignore them. We prattle on about needing better choices, but always
    >>come back to voting for the big 2, then complaining about how they are
    >>****ing up the country.
    >>
    >>I haven't voted for a Democrat OR a Republican for president since I
    >>first started voting. I won't be starting now. I'll vote for one of
    >>the big 2 when they give me a candidate that actually has the interest
    >>of the people of the country in mind with his policies. Neither of
    >>these bozos could give a **** less...

    > Yeah, they say voting for a third party candidate is throwing your
    > vote away, but I say voting for the two major parties is thowing your
    > vote away.
    >
    > Republican (which I'm registered as):
    > Take from the middle class to give to the rich.
    >
    > Democrat:
    > Take from the middle class to give a little to the poor and most to
    > the rich.
    >
    > I still don't understand why Republicans, particularly the Christians,
    > didn't abandon the party in droves after Bush Jr won his second
    > election. There's a perfect party for us to run to: American
    > Independent. It's the party I've voted for since the election after
    > Perot ran.

    I always vote libertarian for president. They most closely resemble
    my opinions on everything political...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  17. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 01:58:16 -0500, Joe
    wrote:

    >I always vote libertarian for president. They most closely resemble
    >my opinions on everything political...

    Way to go, man! If only 35,000,000 others had voted like you in the
    last election, we could have had Badnarik, one of the bigger nobodys
    to ever run for President.

  18. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    James Dearing wrote:

    >>I got the same message. I'm considering using Teranews (http://
    >>teranews.com/) as my replacement server.

    I responded:

    >I haven't gotten that email yet, but it's one more reason to switch to
    >dsl. Although, I'm not sure I can get dsl in this apartment complex;
    >I haven't gotten any ads for telephone tv. I think the phone lines
    >are desperately in need of upgrading.

    Maybe I did get that e-mail and just deleted it. I did get something,
    and thought "More spam from my own service provider" and deleted it
    unread. Now I find there's no more news server.

    The phone company for my area is the new AT&T, formerly SBC. They
    still have usenet, but I don't know if they run their own, or
    sublease.

  19. Re: Comcast making a big sucking attempt to clean your spare cash.

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:22:08 -0700, Todd wrote:

    > Maybe I did get that e-mail and just deleted it. I did get something,
    > and thought "More spam from my own service provider" and deleted it
    > unread. Now I find there's no more news server.

    Heh! good to hear I'm not the only one who does things like this! :-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2