Date format change? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Date format change? - Ubuntu ; Hi: I can't find a way to change globally the date format from the USeless month/day/year to the rational UK day/month/year. Any clues welcome. TIA Hugh -- Hugh Newbury www.evershot-weather.org...

  1. Date format change?

    --

    Hugh Newbury

    www.evershot-weather.org

  2. Re: Date format change?

    Hugh Newbury wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > I can't find a way to change globally the date format from the USeless
    > month/day/year to the rational UK day/month/year. Any clues welcome.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Hugh

    Try the YYYYMMDD. At least it sorts correctly.

    And it isn't a USeless, nor a sUKie format.

    --
    John

  3. Re: Date format change?

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > Hugh Newbury wrote:
    >> Hi:
    >>
    >> I can't find a way to change globally the date format from the USeless
    >> month/day/year to the rational UK day/month/year. Any clues welcome.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Hugh

    > Try the YYYYMMDD.

    How?

    Hugh

    --

    Hugh Newbury

    www.evershot-weather.org

  4. Re: Date format change?

    Hugh Newbury wrote in news:6kk8nuF8e3hlU1
    @mid.individual.net:

    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >> Hugh Newbury wrote:
    >>> Hi:
    >>>
    >>> I can't find a way to change globally the date format from the USeless
    >>> month/day/year to the rational UK day/month/year. Any clues welcome.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> Hugh

    >> Try the YYYYMMDD.

    > How?
    >
    > Hugh

    Right click on the date/time icon on the task bar

  5. Re: Date format change?

    Hugh Newbury wrote:

    > Hi:
    >
    > I can't find a way to change globally the date format from the USeless
    > month/day/year to the rational UK day/month/year. Any clues welcome.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Hugh

    WHERE do you want a different format? In Gnome, KDE, a program, ...?

  6. Re: Date format change?

    Hugh Newbury wrote:
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >
    >> Hugh Newbury wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi:
    >>>
    >>> I can't find a way to change globally the date format from the USeless
    >>> month/day/year to the rational UK day/month/year. Any clues welcome.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> Hugh
    >>>

    >> Try the YYYYMMDD.
    >>

    > How?
    >
    > Hugh

    Perhaps look at date(1) using the command:

    man date

    If it is a GUI problem, then which DE?

    --
    John

  7. Re: Date format change?

    Tobias Brandt wrote:
    > Hugh Newbury wrote:
    >
    >> Hi:
    >>
    >> I can't find a way to change globally the date format from the USeless
    >> month/day/year to the rational UK day/month/year. Any clues welcome.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Hugh
    >>

    > WHERE do you want a different format? In Gnome, KDE, a program, ...?

    Preferably globally.

    Right clicking on the time/date on the taskbar doesn't let you change
    the date format to the UK type.

    I'm on Gnome.

    I'll go and read the man page date(1).

    Thanks all for your help.

    Hugh

    --

    Hugh Newbury

    www.evershot-weather.org

  8. Re: Date format change?

    Hugh Newbury wrote:

    > I can't find a way to change globally the date format from the USeless
    > month/day/year to the rational UK day/month/year. Any clues welcome.

    Regarding rationality...

    Most people in the US & UK make bad/noncompliant decisions about how to
    structure a date format.

    Ideally you would (begin to) consider using the international standard ISO
    8601 format instead of an irrational one.

    day/month/year is backwards, rationally, because the big end should be on
    the left like all the rest of our number-related formats. month/day/year
    is also irrational.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601 the signature feature of ISO 8601
    date and time representations is the ordering of date and time values from
    the most to the least significant or, in plain terms, from the largest
    (the year) to the smallest (the second).

    --
    Mike Easter

  9. Re: Date format change?

    Hugh Newbury wrote in news:6kkbjqF8772aU1
    @mid.individual.net:

    > Tobias Brandt wrote:
    >> Hugh Newbury wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi:
    >>>
    >>> I can't find a way to change globally the date format from the

    USeless
    >>> month/day/year to the rational UK day/month/year. Any clues welcome.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> Hugh
    >>>

    >> WHERE do you want a different format? In Gnome, KDE, a program, ...?

    > Preferably globally.
    >
    > Right clicking on the time/date on the taskbar doesn't let you change
    > the date format to the UK type.

    Might want to check your locale settings (terminal -> type in "locale").
    AFAIK, checking the "automatic time/date updates" and correct locale
    settings will enable options specific to your locale.

    FWIW, I do however notice that my Mepis system offers DDMMYYYY option
    even though the system is setup for the US....but then again I'm in
    Canada where DDMMYYYY if quite often used. :-)

  10. Re: Date format change?

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > Hugh Newbury wrote:
    >
    >> I can't find a way to change globally the date format from the USeless
    >> month/day/year to the rational UK day/month/year. Any clues welcome.

    > Regarding rationality...
    >
    > Most people in the US & UK make bad/noncompliant decisions about how to
    > structure a date format.
    >
    > Ideally you would (begin to) consider using the international standard ISO
    > 8601 format instead of an irrational one.

    You are right, but internally date/time is/should be stored as
    days/fractions of days starting from 1.1.1930 or 1970. The date format only
    changes representation of that number.

  11. Re: Date format change?

    Hugh Newbury illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Tobias Brandt wrote:
    >> Hugh Newbury wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi:
    >>>
    >>> I can't find a way to change globally the date format from the USeless
    >>> month/day/year to the rational UK day/month/year. Any clues welcome.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> Hugh
    >>>

    >> WHERE do you want a different format? In Gnome, KDE, a program, ...?

    > Preferably globally.
    >
    > Right clicking on the time/date on the taskbar doesn't let you change
    > the date format to the UK type.
    >
    > I'm on Gnome.
    >
    > I'll go and read the man page date(1).
    >
    > Thanks all for your help.
    >
    > Hugh

    Hugh, I don't seem to have an issue here.

    My preferences list as "Liverpool Europe/London" and the date is
    displayed as I would expect globally.

    --
    "I ran three miles today. Finally I said, "Lady take your purse." ~ Emo
    Philips

  12. Re: Date format change?

    wisdomkiller & pain wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> Regarding rationality...

    > You are right, but internally date/time is/should be stored as
    > days/fractions of days starting from 1.1.1930 or 1970. The date format
    > only changes representation of that number.

    You are referring to so-called unix or posix time, which is seconds (not
    counting leap seconds) since 1970 Jan 1 or 1970-01-01T00:00:00Z in ISO
    8601.

    Leap seconds create a discontinuity in such unix time which is a little
    bothersome, because from an accuracy perspective, you really need to do
    something about discontinuity issues.

    I don't know anything about a 1930 based time scheme.

    --
    Mike Easter

  13. Re: Date format change?

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > Ideally you would (begin to) consider using the international standard ISO
    > 8601 format instead of an irrational one.

    I'd largely agree, from my experience:

    Example 1

    Used ISO with PHP/MySQL from day 1 (my day 1 on databases) and apart from
    putting up with the mild inconvenience of getting used to reading dates in
    ISO format as I was too lazy/had more important things to do than reformat
    the date. Never had any date problems.

    Faint memory of MsSQL refusing to play ball until I used ISO. Seemed a
    little annoying at the time.

    Example 2

    Access/Jet ASP/vbscript. This outputs nice looking dates that match with
    the locale setting, UK, fine. However, when sending dates to access/jet it
    does it's best guess, which in my circumstances was, "could possibly be a
    US date" if so guess that, if that fails guess it is a UK date. So all my
    forths of April change to thirds of March, silently.

    So, I read a date out into a variable and insert it straight back into a
    record and it changes. Argghh.

    Workround. Change output date from UK to iso format and put back in,
    Access/Jet recognises ISO and does what I expect.

    Lesson learned.

    The slight annoyance at example 1 was TINY in comparison to the silent
    miss-guessing in example 2.

    So, from where I sit, except for user friendly text descriptions of the
    month, I'd go for ISO.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  14. Re: Date format change?

    Hugh Newbury wrote:

    > I can't find a way to change globally the date format from the
    > USeless month/day/year to the rational UK day/month/year. Any
    > clues welcome.

    Look for ISO standard. Today is 2008-10-02.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  15. Re: Date format change?

    On 03/10/08 01:08, Hugh Newbury wrote:

    > I can't find a way to change globally the date format from the USeless
    > month/day/year to the rational UK day/month/year. Any clues welcome.

    If you use the (Gnome) graphical login screen,
    before you enter your password, click on

    Options > Select language...

    and choose UK English.

    If that helps, you can make it the default for the computer using

    System > Administration > Language support

  16. Re: Date format change?

    Mike Easter wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > I don't know anything about a 1930 based time scheme.

    I can confidently present a 1931 based scheme - me. :-)

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  17. Re: Date format change?

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> I don't know anything about a 1930 based time scheme.

    > I can confidently present a 1931 based scheme - me. :-)

    No wonder you're so cranky... you're an /old/ fart.

    :-)

    --
    Mike Easter

  18. Re: Date format change?

    James C wrote:
    > On 03/10/08 01:08, Hugh Newbury wrote:
    >>
    >> I can't find a way to change globally the date format from the USeless
    >> month/day/year to the rational UK day/month/year. Any clues welcome.

    > If you use the (Gnome) graphical login screen,
    > before you enter your password, click on
    >
    > Options > Select language...
    >
    > and choose UK English.
    >
    > If that helps, you can make it the default for the computer using
    >
    > System > Administration > Language support

    James, you're a genius! And a helpful genius at that! Worked first time.

    Very many thanks for that.

    (BTW, I'm a 1928 vintage, so the 1930 thingy wouldn't work for me.)

    Thanks all.

    Hugh

    --

    Hugh Newbury