Linux at Lowe's Home Improvement Store - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Linux at Lowe's Home Improvement Store - Ubuntu ; On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 20:47:23 -0400, MarkA wrote: > I was at my local Lowe's home improvement store today. While the salesman > was looking up some information, I noticed that the computers were running > Linux! Way to ...

  1. Re: Linux at Lowe's Home Improvement Store

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 20:47:23 -0400, MarkA wrote:

    > I was at my local Lowe's home improvement store today. While the salesman
    > was looking up some information, I noticed that the computers were running
    > Linux! Way to go, Lowe's!

    So does Burlington Coat Factory.

  2. Linux at Lowe's Home Improvement Store

    --
    MarkA
    Keeper of the Butter Dish of Balshazar

  3. Re: Linux at Lowe's Home Improvement Store

    On 2008-10-02, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 20:47:23 -0400, MarkA wrote:
    >
    >> I was at my local Lowe's home improvement store today. While the salesman
    >> was looking up some information, I noticed that the computers were running
    >> Linux! Way to go, Lowe's!

    > So does Burlington Coat Factory.

    Burlington runs SUSE linux.

    http://www.novell.com/success/burlington.html

    ``Burlington looked at Microsoft Windows*, as well as other UNIX*
    alternatives, but wanted an operating system that wasn't tied to a
    single software or hardware vendor. The company took the
    recommendation of another software provider to move to SUSE Linux
    Enterprise Server.''

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  4. Re: Linux at Lowe's Home Improvement Store

    On 2008-10-02, Ignoramus31561 wrote:
    > ``Burlington looked at Microsoft Windows*, as well as other UNIX*
    > alternatives, but wanted an operating system that wasn't tied to a
    > single software or hardware vendor. The company took the
    > recommendation of another software provider to move to SUSE Linux
    > Enterprise Server.''

    The point that this guy is making, is in fact a great one. I started
    thinking about our own Linux use, and I think that with some
    relativley minor adjustments and exceptions, we could move from Ubuntu
    to Centos or even to FreeBSD. We would still have the same tools,
    perl, gcc, apache, etc.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  5. Re: Linux at Lowe's Home Improvement Store

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 20:47:23 -0400, MarkA wrote:

    >I was at my local Lowe's home improvement store today. While the salesman
    >was looking up some information, I noticed that the computers were running
    >Linux! Way to go, Lowe's!

    For years firms large and small have used bespoke Unix systems. The
    Linux distros provide an easy and affordable alternative to a totally
    unique one and can be tailor made at small cost.

  6. Re: Linux at Lowe's Home Improvement Store

    "Ignoramus31561" wrote in message
    > On 2008-10-02, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 20:47:23 -0400, MarkA wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was at my local Lowe's home improvement store today. While the
    >>> salesman
    >>> was looking up some information, I noticed that the computers were
    >>> running
    >>> Linux! Way to go, Lowe's!

    >> So does Burlington Coat Factory.

    > Burlington runs SUSE linux.
    >
    > http://www.novell.com/success/burlington.html
    >
    > ``Burlington looked at Microsoft Windows*, as well as other UNIX*
    > alternatives, but wanted an operating system that wasn't tied to a
    > single software or hardware vendor. The company took the
    > recommendation of another software provider to move to SUSE Linux
    > Enterprise Server.''

    "wasn't tied to a particular vendor".. they didn't do a good job then as
    they are tied to SUSE.
    I hope they tested their solution on other unix/linux systems to ensure they
    aren't tied or they will look more stupid.

+ Reply to Thread