Evolution, mail folder and mutt integration - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Evolution, mail folder and mutt integration - Ubuntu ; This concerns my workstation at work that runs Ubuntu Hardy. (At home I use mutt exclusively) I get mail locally from our corporate mailserver by means of fetchmail. I then sort files into various folders such as Inbox, junk etc, ...

  1. Evolution, mail folder and mutt integration

    This concerns my workstation at work that runs Ubuntu Hardy.
    (At home I use mutt exclusively)

    I get mail locally from our corporate mailserver by means of
    fetchmail. I then sort files into various folders such as Inbox, junk
    etc, by means of procmail.

    Then, I want to use evolution when I am in front of my workstation,
    and mutt when I log on via ssh.

    What I want is to make sure that both Evolution and mutt would share
    the same folders under ~/Mail. That is, I could read email folders
    (including Inbox) using mutt as well as using evolution.

    What I find is that Evolution, the way I set it up, keeps its own
    folders in some hidden location, and lets my folders under ~/Mail grow
    even if I seemingly delete mail in Evolution. I also cannot delete
    Evolution folders at all.

    So, how can I set up Evolution to act more like mutt in respect to my
    file folders? TO be more respectful of my filesystem desires?
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  2. Re: Evolution, mail folder and mutt integration

    Ignoramus31561 wrote:
    > This concerns my workstation at work that runs Ubuntu Hardy.
    > (At home I use mutt exclusively)
    >
    > I get mail locally from our corporate mailserver by means of
    > fetchmail. I then sort files into various folders such as Inbox, junk
    > etc, by means of procmail.
    >
    > Then, I want to use evolution when I am in front of my workstation,
    > and mutt when I log on via ssh.
    >
    > What I want is to make sure that both Evolution and mutt would share
    > the same folders under ~/Mail. That is, I could read email folders
    > (including Inbox) using mutt as well as using evolution.
    >
    > What I find is that Evolution, the way I set it up, keeps its own
    > folders in some hidden location, and lets my folders under ~/Mail grow
    > even if I seemingly delete mail in Evolution. I also cannot delete
    > Evolution folders at all.
    >
    > So, how can I set up Evolution to act more like mutt in respect to my
    > file folders? TO be more respectful of my filesystem desires?

    No nothing of mutt, never used it, but if you install dovecot and enable
    its imap server you can get evolution to use imap mode so that it will
    not interfere with mail on your server. You can alos use a web browser
    by installing something like squirrelmail or roundcubemail.

    Personally I prefer to use web mail as it works from all computers with
    a web browser.

  3. Re: Evolution, mail folder and mutt integration

    On 2008-10-01, Ian Pawson wrote:
    > Ignoramus31561 wrote:
    >> This concerns my workstation at work that runs Ubuntu Hardy.
    >> (At home I use mutt exclusively)
    >>
    >> I get mail locally from our corporate mailserver by means of
    >> fetchmail. I then sort files into various folders such as Inbox, junk
    >> etc, by means of procmail.
    >>
    >> Then, I want to use evolution when I am in front of my workstation,
    >> and mutt when I log on via ssh.
    >>
    >> What I want is to make sure that both Evolution and mutt would share
    >> the same folders under ~/Mail. That is, I could read email folders
    >> (including Inbox) using mutt as well as using evolution.
    >>
    >> What I find is that Evolution, the way I set it up, keeps its own
    >> folders in some hidden location, and lets my folders under ~/Mail grow
    >> even if I seemingly delete mail in Evolution. I also cannot delete
    >> Evolution folders at all.
    >>
    >> So, how can I set up Evolution to act more like mutt in respect to my
    >> file folders? TO be more respectful of my filesystem desires?

    > No nothing of mutt, never used it, but if you install dovecot and enable
    > its imap server you can get evolution to use imap mode so that it will
    > not interfere with mail on your server. You can alos use a web browser
    > by installing something like squirrelmail or roundcubemail.
    >
    > Personally I prefer to use web mail as it works from all computers with
    > a web browser.

    I really like your dovecot idea. It should be totally easy. I use
    dovecot at home for webmail, for case when I am traveling.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  4. Re: Evolution, mail folder and mutt integration

    Ignoramus31561 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > This concerns my workstation at work that runs Ubuntu Hardy.
    > (At home I use mutt exclusively)
    >
    > I get mail locally from our corporate mailserver by means of
    > fetchmail. I then sort files into various folders such as Inbox, junk
    > etc, by means of procmail.
    >
    > Then, I want to use evolution when I am in front of my workstation,
    > and mutt when I log on via ssh.
    >
    > What I want is to make sure that both Evolution and mutt would share
    > the same folders under ~/Mail. That is, I could read email folders
    > (including Inbox) using mutt as well as using evolution.
    >
    > What I find is that Evolution, the way I set it up, keeps its own
    > folders in some hidden location, and lets my folders under ~/Mail grow
    > even if I seemingly delete mail in Evolution. I also cannot delete
    > Evolution folders at all.
    >
    > So, how can I set up Evolution to act more like mutt in respect to my
    > file folders? TO be more respectful of my filesystem desires?

    This sounds like a job for IMAP.

    My personal preference is to use Plesk (and it's Horde interface) on
    a CentOS5 mailserver. Then call the email over from any other box
    I wish to access mail on.

    The reason you are struggling with your procmail/mutt/evolution combo,
    is...and this is a guess....Evolution uses .mbox folders in a
    *slightly* different way...

    IIRC, there's enough difference to cause issues. It has been a good 18
    months since I attempted similar though.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  5. Re: Evolution, mail folder and mutt integration

    On 2008-10-01, Moog wrote:
    > Ignoramus31561 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> This concerns my workstation at work that runs Ubuntu Hardy.
    >> (At home I use mutt exclusively)
    >>
    >> I get mail locally from our corporate mailserver by means of
    >> fetchmail. I then sort files into various folders such as Inbox, junk
    >> etc, by means of procmail.
    >>
    >> Then, I want to use evolution when I am in front of my workstation,
    >> and mutt when I log on via ssh.
    >>
    >> What I want is to make sure that both Evolution and mutt would share
    >> the same folders under ~/Mail. That is, I could read email folders
    >> (including Inbox) using mutt as well as using evolution.
    >>
    >> What I find is that Evolution, the way I set it up, keeps its own
    >> folders in some hidden location, and lets my folders under ~/Mail grow
    >> even if I seemingly delete mail in Evolution. I also cannot delete
    >> Evolution folders at all.
    >>
    >> So, how can I set up Evolution to act more like mutt in respect to my
    >> file folders? TO be more respectful of my filesystem desires?

    > This sounds like a job for IMAP.
    >
    > My personal preference is to use Plesk (and it's Horde interface) on
    > a CentOS5 mailserver. Then call the email over from any other box
    > I wish to access mail on.
    >
    > The reason you are struggling with your procmail/mutt/evolution combo,
    > is...and this is a guess....Evolution uses .mbox folders in a
    > *slightly* different way...
    >
    > IIRC, there's enough difference to cause issues. It has been a good 18
    > months since I attempted similar though.

    I have gone the route that you suggest and used local IMAP
    (dovecot). It worked out of the box. Now mutt and evolution share the
    same folders, HOWEVER, I have one problem remaining. share the same
    folder.

    HOWEVER, I have one problem remaining, which is: when I delete mails
    in evolution, they are not actually deleted from those file
    folders. So when I look at them with mutt, I see piles of old crap
    that I supposedly deleted with Evolution.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  6. Re: Evolution, mail folder and mutt integration

    Ignoramus31561 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2008-10-01, Moog wrote:
    >> Ignoramus31561 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> This concerns my workstation at work that runs Ubuntu Hardy.
    >>> (At home I use mutt exclusively)
    >>>
    >>> I get mail locally from our corporate mailserver by means of
    >>> fetchmail. I then sort files into various folders such as Inbox, junk
    >>> etc, by means of procmail.
    >>>
    >>> Then, I want to use evolution when I am in front of my workstation,
    >>> and mutt when I log on via ssh.
    >>>
    >>> What I want is to make sure that both Evolution and mutt would share
    >>> the same folders under ~/Mail. That is, I could read email folders
    >>> (including Inbox) using mutt as well as using evolution.
    >>>
    >>> What I find is that Evolution, the way I set it up, keeps its own
    >>> folders in some hidden location, and lets my folders under ~/Mail grow
    >>> even if I seemingly delete mail in Evolution. I also cannot delete
    >>> Evolution folders at all.
    >>>
    >>> So, how can I set up Evolution to act more like mutt in respect to my
    >>> file folders? TO be more respectful of my filesystem desires?

    >> This sounds like a job for IMAP.
    >>
    >> My personal preference is to use Plesk (and it's Horde interface) on
    >> a CentOS5 mailserver. Then call the email over from any other box
    >> I wish to access mail on.
    >>
    >> The reason you are struggling with your procmail/mutt/evolution combo,
    >> is...and this is a guess....Evolution uses .mbox folders in a
    >> *slightly* different way...
    >>
    >> IIRC, there's enough difference to cause issues. It has been a good 18
    >> months since I attempted similar though.
    >>

    > I have gone the route that you suggest and used local IMAP
    > (dovecot). It worked out of the box. Now mutt and evolution share the
    > same folders, HOWEVER, I have one problem remaining. share the same
    > folder.
    >
    > HOWEVER, I have one problem remaining, which is: when I delete mails
    > in evolution, they are not actually deleted from those file
    > folders. So when I look at them with mutt, I see piles of old crap
    > that I supposedly deleted with Evolution.

    I'm notg overly familiar with Dovecot, as I use the Plesk/Horde
    solution metioned. I do know that to permanently delete emails under
    my system is a "per mailbox" setting and not system wide.

    You may need to dig around in the dovecot man pages.

    http://www.dovecot.org/

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  7. Re: Evolution, mail folder and mutt integration

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 16:03:38 -0500, Ignoramus31561 wrote:
    > On 2008-10-01, Moog wrote:
    >> Ignoramus31561 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> This concerns my workstation at work that runs Ubuntu Hardy. (At home
    >>> I use mutt exclusively)
    >>>
    >>> I get mail locally from our corporate mailserver by means of
    >>> fetchmail. I then sort files into various folders such as Inbox, junk
    >>> etc, by means of procmail.
    >>>
    >>> Then, I want to use evolution when I am in front of my workstation,
    >>> and mutt when I log on via ssh.
    >>>
    >>> What I want is to make sure that both Evolution and mutt would share
    >>> the same folders under ~/Mail. That is, I could read email folders
    >>> (including Inbox) using mutt as well as using evolution.

    > HOWEVER, I have one problem remaining, which is: when I delete mails in
    > evolution, they are not actually deleted from those file folders. So
    > when I look at them with mutt, I see piles of old crap that I supposedly
    > deleted with Evolution.

    I found this via Google, have you tried it?:

    "When you press Delete or click the Trash folder, your mail is not
    actually deleted, but is marked for deletion. Your e-mail is recoverable
    until you have expunged your mail. When you expunge a folder, you remove
    all the mail that you have marked for deletion.To show deleted messages,
    uncheck Hide Deleted Messages option from the View menu. You can view
    the messages striken off for later deletion. You can also find deleted
    messages in your Trash folder.

    To permanently erase all the deleted messages in a folder, click Folder-
    >Expunge or press Ctrl+E."

  8. Re: Evolution, mail folder and mutt integration

    James and Moog, thanks. The answer was to "do expunge". It seems to
    work fine. It's fine with me, though I would prefer a more immediate
    action upon deletion, but I can live with it.

  9. Re: Evolution, mail folder and mutt integration

    On 2008-10-02, Ignoramus23721 wrote:
    > James and Moog, thanks. The answer was to "do expunge". It seems to
    > work fine. It's fine with me, though I would prefer a more immediate
    > action upon deletion, but I can live with it.

    Your beef is with IMAP not the client. Delete and expunge are two
    discrete operations. You can configure your client to hide deleted
    headers and auto-expunge on exit if that's really what you want.

    --
    email: echo "sbs@sbsrearg.pbz" | sed 's/s/o/g' | rot13
    All posts from Google Groups are auto-killed.

+ Reply to Thread