monitor and nvidia (surprise) questions - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on monitor and nvidia (surprise) questions - Ubuntu ; Am using nvidia gfrce 4 card with Sony SDM HS75 screen. Under system>preferences>monitor resolution, I have a screen showing a box labeled 'unknown' with current resolution setting below showing 1280x960 @ 70HZ, which is what I set via apps>other>screens and ...

  1. monitor and nvidia (surprise) questions

    Am using nvidia gfrce 4 card with Sony SDM HS75 screen.

    Under system>preferences>monitor resolution, I have a screen showing a
    box labeled 'unknown' with current resolution setting below showing
    1280x960 @ 70HZ, which is what I set via apps>other>screens and graphics
    menu.
    /That/ menu shows the monitor correctly identified but states I am using
    a generic nvidia driver. It doesn't seem to allow me to change that
    setting but when I go to system>administration>hardware drivers it tells
    me that I /am/ using the proprietary nvidia, which is correct.

    When I run hwinfo, the monitor is not identified shown at all- just 8
    unknown pnp devices.

    When I had a previous kernel running (am now running the latest one) a
    nvidia splash screen used to pop up on boot (pretty green logo). That
    no longer appears.

    Have I mucked something up or is the above scenario considered normal?

    The only abnormal behavior I can observe is an altered screen when I
    boot to win2000 (settings changed by something other that me). Might
    this be due to firmware on the nvidia card?

    Aside, I am also running mepis and am having a hard time even /finding/
    these settings under KDE but thats an ongoing experiment I'm not done
    with yet...

  2. Re: monitor and nvidia (surprise) questions

    On 09/30/2008 10:10 AM jrg scribbled:

    > Am using nvidia gfrce 4 card with Sony SDM HS75 screen.
    >
    > Under system>preferences>monitor resolution, I have a screen showing a
    > box labeled 'unknown' with current resolution setting below showing
    > 1280x960 @ 70HZ, which is what I set via apps>other>screens and graphics
    > menu.
    > /That/ menu shows the monitor correctly identified but states I am using
    > a generic nvidia driver. It doesn't seem to allow me to change that
    > setting but when I go to system>administration>hardware drivers it tells
    > me that I /am/ using the proprietary nvidia, which is correct.
    >
    > When I run hwinfo, the monitor is not identified shown at all- just 8
    > unknown pnp devices.
    >
    > When I had a previous kernel running (am now running the latest one) a
    > nvidia splash screen used to pop up on boot (pretty green logo). That
    > no longer appears.

    correction - reboot just brought back that nvidia logo screen.

    > Have I mucked something up or is the above scenario considered normal?
    >
    > The only abnormal behavior I can observe is an altered screen when I
    > boot to win2000 (settings changed by something other that me). Might
    > this be due to firmware on the nvidia card?
    >
    > Aside, I am also running mepis and am having a hard time even /finding/
    > these settings under KDE but thats an ongoing experiment I'm not done
    > with yet...

  3. Re: monitor and nvidia (surprise) questions

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:10:20 -0700, jrg wrote:

    > Am using nvidia gfrce 4 card with Sony SDM HS75 screen.
    >
    > Under system>preferences>monitor resolution, I have a screen showing a
    > box labeled 'unknown' with current resolution setting below showing
    > 1280x960 @ 70HZ, which is what I set via apps>other>screens and graphics
    > menu.
    > /That/ menu shows the monitor correctly identified but states I am using
    > a generic nvidia driver. It doesn't seem to allow me to change that
    > setting but when I go to system>administration>hardware drivers it tells
    > me that I /am/ using the proprietary nvidia, which is correct.
    >
    > When I run hwinfo, the monitor is not identified shown at all- just 8
    > unknown pnp devices.
    >
    > When I had a previous kernel running (am now running the latest one) a
    > nvidia splash screen used to pop up on boot (pretty green logo). That
    > no longer appears.
    >
    > Have I mucked something up or is the above scenario considered normal?
    >
    > The only abnormal behavior I can observe is an altered screen when I
    > boot to win2000 (settings changed by something other that me). Might
    > this be due to firmware on the nvidia card?
    >
    > Aside, I am also running mepis and am having a hard time even /finding/
    > these settings under KDE but thats an ongoing experiment I'm not done
    > with yet...

    Install and run AS ROOT (sudo nvidia-settings) program and make sure to
    save your settings.
    There is also a setting in the xorg.conf file that hides the splash screen.
    I can't remember exactly what it is called but if you cat the file you will
    know it when you see it.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: monitor and nvidia (surprise) questions

    On 09/30/2008 01:11 PM Moshe Goldfarb. scribbled:

    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:10:20 -0700, jrg wrote:
    >
    >> Am using nvidia gfrce 4 card with Sony SDM HS75 screen.
    >>
    >> Under system>preferences>monitor resolution, I have a screen showing a
    >> box labeled 'unknown' with current resolution setting below showing
    >> 1280x960 @ 70HZ, which is what I set via apps>other>screens and graphics
    >> menu.
    >> /That/ menu shows the monitor correctly identified but states I am using
    >> a generic nvidia driver. It doesn't seem to allow me to change that
    >> setting but when I go to system>administration>hardware drivers it tells
    >> me that I /am/ using the proprietary nvidia, which is correct.
    >>
    >> When I run hwinfo, the monitor is not identified shown at all- just 8
    >> unknown pnp devices.
    >>
    >> When I had a previous kernel running (am now running the latest one) a
    >> nvidia splash screen used to pop up on boot (pretty green logo). That
    >> no longer appears.
    >>
    >> Have I mucked something up or is the above scenario considered normal?
    >>
    >> The only abnormal behavior I can observe is an altered screen when I
    >> boot to win2000 (settings changed by something other that me). Might
    >> this be due to firmware on the nvidia card?
    >>
    >> Aside, I am also running mepis and am having a hard time even /finding/
    >> these settings under KDE but thats an ongoing experiment I'm not done
    >> with yet...

    > Install and run AS ROOT (sudo nvidia-settings) program and make sure to
    > save your settings.
    > There is also a setting in the xorg.conf file that hides the splash screen.
    > I can't remember exactly what it is called but if you cat the file you will
    > know it when you see it.

    Ah - saw another poster mention a program before but could not find the
    post.
    Worked pretty well although hwinfo still does not id the monitor.

    Thanks, Moshe, and happy HOH...

+ Reply to Thread