determining partition sizes - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on determining partition sizes - Ubuntu ; hi, the new guy again...i am actually helping my kids friend to install ubuntu on his laptop before i install it on my own. during the install, the size of partitions came up. in particular, if the hd is 160G, ...

  1. determining partition sizes

    hi,

    the new guy again...i am actually helping my kids friend to install
    ubuntu on his laptop before i install it on my own. during the install,
    the size of partitions came up. in particular, if the hd is 160G, how
    much swap is appropriate? also, for my install, how big is mysql? as i
    remember things, it was good to have a separate root fs as /. what is a
    safe size for / with enough space for growth?

    thanks again,

    peter

  2. Re: determining partition sizes

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 12:36:09 -0400, peter wrote:

    > hi,
    >
    > the new guy again...i am actually helping my kids friend to install
    > ubuntu on his laptop before i install it on my own. during the install,
    > the size of partitions came up. in particular, if the hd is 160G, how
    > much swap is appropriate? also, for my install, how big is mysql? as i
    > remember things, it was good to have a separate root fs as /. what is a
    > safe size for / with enough space for growth?
    >
    > thanks again,
    >
    > peter

    The old general rule of thumb was: swap should be twice RAM - doesn't
    depend on hd size.

    When one is starting out, things are simplified greatly if you use
    exactly two partitions: swap and /. 15gb should be more than enough to
    play with for quite some time.

  3. Re: determining partition sizes

    peter wrote:

    > the new guy again...i am actually helping my kids friend to
    > install ubuntu on his laptop before i install it on my own.
    > during the install, the size of partitions came up. in
    > particular, if the hd is 160G, how much swap is appropriate?
    > also, for my install, how big is mysql? as i remember things,
    > it was good to have a separate root fs as /. what is a safe
    > size for / with enough space for growth?

    Beginning sentences with upper case letters makes them much more
    readable.

    For the swap partition, the question is how much memory do you WANT
    to have available for your programs. Once you use all actual
    available memory, the swap partition comes into use. Most people
    use roughly the size of main memory available, or perhaps double
    that.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  4. Re: determining partition sizes

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 12:36:09 -0400, peter wrote:

    > hi,
    >
    > the new guy again...i am actually helping my kids friend to install ubuntu
    > on his laptop before i install it on my own. during the install, the size
    > of partitions came up. in particular, if the hd is 160G, how much swap is
    > appropriate? also, for my install, how big is mysql? as i remember
    > things, it was good to have a separate root fs as /. what is a safe size
    > for / with enough space for growth?
    >
    > thanks again,
    >
    > peter

    I have / 10GB, swap 1GB, /home the rest, on 3 computers.

    --

  5. Re: determining partition sizes

    Phil Stovell wrote:

    > I have / 10GB, swap 1GB, /home the rest, on 3 computers.

    i have 3G of RAM 2 x that is the consensus ( i have hear anywhere from
    1x to 10x from various admins in the distant past), i am concerned
    about having MySql on the same fs as home, since I will be just
    experiementing, I will not have large amounts of data so I will see how
    much sapace the DBMS will take up.

    i should be able toadjust fs sizes after the fact if the need araises,
    right?

    thanks,
    peter

  6. Re: determining partition sizes

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 05:43:37 -0400, peter wrote:

    > Phil Stovell wrote:
    >
    >> I have / 10GB, swap 1GB, /home the rest, on 3 computers.

    > i have 3G of RAM 2 x that is the consensus ( i have hear anywhere from
    > 1x to 10x from various admins in the distant past), i am concerned
    > about having MySql on the same fs as home, since I will be just
    > experiementing, I will not have large amounts of data so I will see how
    > much sapace the DBMS will take up.
    >
    > i should be able toadjust fs sizes after the fact if the need araises,
    > right?
    >
    > thanks,
    > peter

    Yes, but . . . you can't adjust the size of a mounted partition. So it is
    best, IMHO, to boot a Live CD to do resizing.

  7. Re: determining partition sizes

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 05:43:37 -0400, peter wrote:

    > Phil Stovell wrote:
    >
    >> I have / 10GB, swap 1GB, /home the rest, on 3 computers.

    > i have 3G of RAM 2 x that is the consensus ( i have hear anywhere from 1x
    > to 10x from various admins in the distant past), i am concerned about

    I have 1GB RAM and seldom use any swap. My / partition has 5.2G free.

    > having MySql on the same fs as home, since I will be just experiementing,
    > I will not have large amounts of data so I will see how much sapace the
    > DBMS will take up.
    >
    > i should be able toadjust fs sizes after the fact if the need araises,
    > right?

    Sorry, no idea.

    --

  8. Re: determining partition sizes

    peter schreef:
    > Phil Stovell wrote:
    >
    >> I have / 10GB, swap 1GB, /home the rest, on 3 computers.

    > i have 3G of RAM 2 x that is the consensus ( i have hear anywhere from
    > 1x to 10x from various admins in the distant past), i am concerned
    > about having MySql on the same fs as home, since I will be just
    > experiementing, I will not have large amounts of data so I will see how
    > much sapace the DBMS will take up.
    >
    > i should be able toadjust fs sizes after the fact if the need araises,
    > right?
    >
    > thanks,
    > peter

    Shift key still broken Peter?

    Anyhow, as reported swap size is relative to the amount of RAM installed.
    In the days of MB's of RAM it used to be around twice the amount for
    swap but above 1 or 2 Gigs of RAM it's sufficient to have just 1 GB of
    swap or equal to RAM size.

  9. Re: determining partition sizes

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 12:36:09 -0400, peter wrote:

    > the new guy again...i am actually helping my kids friend to install
    > ubuntu on his laptop before i install it on my own. during the install,
    > the size of partitions came up. in particular, if the hd is 160G, how
    > much swap is appropriate? also, for my install, how big is mysql? as i
    > remember things, it was good to have a separate root fs as /. what is a
    > safe size for / with enough space for growth?

    How much RAM does the laptop have? The old rule of thumb is 2x RAM for
    swap, but it isn't used much anymore. What will the unit be used for?

    Heavy graphics/video editing eats virtual memory, so more swap would be
    needed. On the other hand, disk space is cheap and plentiful. You only
    need maybe 5-6GB for the OS and a good selection of applications. You
    will need space for storing pictures, lots of space for storing ripped
    CDs and other audio, and LOTS of space for video. These days most people
    just put the OS and users' $HOME directories on one partition. This
    laptop will have only one user, right? If there's 1GB RAM I'd forget swap
    and just use the whole disk as one partition, or (even easier) let the
    installer decide on a default setup.

    What does your kid's friend want to do with a database? How much space he
    needs for mysql depends on how big the database will be.

    160GB is pretty big. My desktop has 80GB, partitioned 38/4/38 for first
    linux, swap, second linux (dual boot). If the disk fills up it's easy to
    migrate (say) $HOME to a second (say USB?) disk, if needed. Think of the
    'mount' command like grafting a cutting onto a tree.

  10. Re: determining partition sizes

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 22:39:26 -0500, Roland Latour wrote:

    > These days most people just put
    > the OS and users' $HOME directories on one partition.

    That limits your options. If you put / and /home on separate partitions,
    you can do a full re-install by wiping / and doing a full install. You
    can't do that with 1 partition, as it would wipe out /home as well.

    When I went from 6.06 to 7.04 I did a full re-install using that method.

    --

  11. Re: determining partition sizes

    peter wrote:
    > Phil Stovell wrote:
    >
    >> I have / 10GB, swap 1GB, /home the rest, on 3 computers.

    > i have 3G of RAM 2 x that is the consensus ( i have hear anywhere from
    > 1x to 10x from various admins in the distant past), i am concerned
    > about having MySql on the same fs as home, since I will be just
    > experiementing, I will not have large amounts of data so I will see how
    > much sapace the DBMS will take up.
    >
    > i should be able toadjust fs sizes after the fact if the need araises,
    > right?

    Then you should take a look at LVM.
    With careful planning (*), you can even add hard disks later and grow
    your partitions as required. There even exist file systems that allow
    resizing while in-use, although this is really only needed in extremely
    rare cases!

    (*) LVM can only handle ~65536 so-called "extents" (that's the unit of
    space that can be managed). If you take your existing physical space and
    divide that by 65536 (and rounded up to the next power-of-two) to get
    the smallest possible extent size for the smallest possible granularity,
    you won't be able to add additional physical space later. Although any
    estimate is as good as the dice that were thrown in determining it, you
    could e.g. assume that you'll be adding a certain amount one day, e.g.
    1TB, and base the calculation of the extent-size on that.

    Josef
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  12. Re: determining partition sizes

    Roland Latour wrote:

    > How much RAM does the laptop have? The old rule of thumb is 2x RAM for
    > swap, but it isn't used much anymore. What will the unit be used for?

    IIRC this estimate of "2x RAM" comes from old times when swap space was
    pre-allocated for each virtual page allocated, so you'd need at least
    the RAM size to avoid running "out of swap space" before you have even
    used your entire physical memory. Currently, swap space is not
    pre-allocated, so it can be viewed as *additional* virtual space. Then,
    an amount equal to the physical RAM size would be enough.

    Josef
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  13. Re: determining partition sizes

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 09:25:03 +0200, Josef Moellers wrote:

    > Roland Latour wrote:
    >
    >> How much RAM does the laptop have? The old rule of thumb is 2x RAM for
    >> swap, but it isn't used much anymore. What will the unit be used for?

    > IIRC this estimate of "2x RAM" comes from old times when swap space was
    > pre-allocated for each virtual page allocated, so you'd need at least the
    > RAM size to avoid running "out of swap space" before you have even used
    > your entire physical memory. Currently, swap space is not pre-allocated,
    > so it can be viewed as *additional* virtual space. Then, an amount equal
    > to the physical RAM size would be enough.

    I seldom use any swap space with 1GB RAM, I would think that 3GB would
    NEVER use swap space.

    --

  14. Re: determining partition sizes

    Phil Stovell wrote:
    > On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 09:25:03 +0200, Josef Moellers wrote:
    >
    >> Roland Latour wrote:
    >>
    >>> How much RAM does the laptop have? The old rule of thumb is 2x RAM for
    >>> swap, but it isn't used much anymore. What will the unit be used for?

    >> IIRC this estimate of "2x RAM" comes from old times when swap space was
    >> pre-allocated for each virtual page allocated, so you'd need at least the
    >> RAM size to avoid running "out of swap space" before you have even used
    >> your entire physical memory. Currently, swap space is not pre-allocated,
    >> so it can be viewed as *additional* virtual space. Then, an amount equal
    >> to the physical RAM size would be enough.

    > I seldom use any swap space with 1GB RAM, I would think that 3GB would
    > NEVER use swap space.

    It really, really depends upon what you do with your machine.
    I do (amateurish) graphics (gimp) with pretty large images (maps), and
    (again amateurish) video processing (ProjectX, mp2enc, mplex,
    dvdauthor), quite often in parallel, and sometimes I find that even with
    2GB some processes (rarely used daemons like dhcpd, xinetd) have been
    completely swapped out.

    YMMV,

    Josef
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  15. Re: determining partition sizes

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 12:36:09 -0400, peter wrote:

    > the new guy again...i am actually helping my kids friend to install ubuntu
    > on his laptop before i install it on my own. during the install, the size
    > of partitions came up. in particular, if the hd is 160G, how much swap is
    > appropriate? also, for my install, how big is mysql? as i remember
    > things, it was good to have a separate root fs as /. what is a safe size
    > for / with enough space for growth?

    I think that 10GB for / is big enough. I install a lot of things, and use
    about 7.8GB.

    I urge you to install swap either of these ways:

    1. Make the / partition bigger, and use a file on /var as swap space.
    See man mkswap

    2. If you have two physical disks, put the swap disk or file on a
    separate physical disk from the root directory, and preferably, on
    different bus. So, communication can occur at the same time between the
    root and swap disks.

    --
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

    - Thomas Jefferson, Proposal for Virginia Constitution