File associations - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on File associations - Ubuntu ; When I click on a file with the odt extension, it automatically invokes Open Office Writer. I want to invoke Kword instead. I know how to do this in Windows. I can't figure out how to change this in Linux. ...

  1. File associations

    When I click on a file with the odt extension, it automatically invokes
    Open Office Writer. I want to invoke Kword instead. I know how to do
    this in Windows. I can't figure out how to change this in Linux. Any
    help? Thanks.

  2. Re: File associations

    Jeffrey Needle wrote in news:fpiEk.1$8_3.0
    @flpi147.ffdc.sbc.com:

    > When I click on a file with the odt extension, it automatically invokes
    > Open Office Writer. I want to invoke Kword instead. I know how to do
    > this in Windows. I can't figure out how to change this in Linux. Any
    > help? Thanks.

    Highlight file name ->right mouse click -> Open With

    Depending on distro, there might be a "Remember app association" box you
    can toggle.

    Or Right Click on the file and select Properties.
    Select the Open-With Tab and set the right application to open your files.

  3. Re: File associations

    > Jeffrey Needle wrote in news:fpiEk.1$8_3.0
    > @flpi147.ffdc.sbc.com:
    >
    >> When I click on a file with the odt extension, it automatically invokes
    >> Open Office Writer. I want to invoke Kword instead. I know how to do
    >> this in Windows. I can't figure out how to change this in Linux. Any
    >> help? Thanks.
    >>

    > Highlight file name ->right mouse click -> Open With
    >
    > Depending on distro, there might be a "Remember app association" box you
    > can toggle.
    >

    > Or Right Click on the file and select Properties. Select the Open-With
    > Tab and set the right application to open your files.

    Wonderful -- worked perfectly. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread