vmware server 2.0? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on vmware server 2.0? - Ubuntu ; Anyone tried it? I am interested in the webui. I am running few servers with kernel version 2.6.22-14-server in text mode. -- Holz...

  1. vmware server 2.0?

    --
    Holz

  2. Re: vmware server 2.0?

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 09:21:29 -0700, Holz wrote:

    > Anyone tried it?
    > I am interested in the webui.
    > I am running few servers with kernel version 2.6.22-14-server in text
    > mode.

    I'm using it to run CentOS5 VMs. The WebUI is a little slower then the old
    GUI in Server 1 but it's usable. The performance of the VMs themselves is
    very good.

  3. Re: vmware server 2.0?

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 12:24:17 -0500, General Schvantzkopf wrote:

    > On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 09:21:29 -0700, Holz wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone tried it?
    >> I am interested in the webui.
    >> I am running few servers with kernel version 2.6.22-14-server in text
    >> mode.

    > I'm using it to run CentOS5 VMs. The WebUI is a little slower then the
    > old GUI in Server 1 but it's usable. The performance of the VMs
    > themselves is very good.

    thanks for the input.

    --
    Holz

  4. Re: vmware server 2.0?

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 17:29:48 +0000, Holz wrote:

    > On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 12:24:17 -0500, General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 09:21:29 -0700, Holz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anyone tried it?
    >>> I am interested in the webui.
    >>> I am running few servers with kernel version 2.6.22-14-server in text
    >>> mode.

    >> I'm using it to run CentOS5 VMs. The WebUI is a little slower then the
    >> old GUI in Server 1 but it's usable. The performance of the VMs
    >> themselves is very good.

    > thanks for the input.

    BTW I'm running it on a CentOS5 system with a custom 2.6.24.7 kernel. I
    haven't tried it with later kernels because I couldn't get CentOS5 to
    handle anything after .24.

  5. Re: vmware server 2.0?

    Holz wrote:

    > Anyone tried it?
    > I am interested in the webui.
    > I am running few servers with kernel version 2.6.22-14-server in text
    > mode.

    The server appears to work, but I cannot get the webUI working with most
    recent firefox on linux, with adblockplus (disabled for local site) and
    noscript (allow for that local site set).
    Neither does it work in konqueror (plugin not working).
    Still use 1.07.

  6. Re: vmware server 2.0?

    General Schvantzkopf wrote:

    > Are you using the released version of VMware Server 2? RC1 had a problem
    > with the Firefox 3.0.1 or higher, the plugin install script was checking
    > for 3.0. The plugin is working fine for me on Firefox 3.0.2 on 64 bit
    > Fedora 9.

    Well, when I tried it last time this was another issue, got around by
    installing some plugin to override compatibility settings.
    Still, the vmware plugin didn't work: I could see the black screen with
    vmware logo and the advice to click on it ... but neither did the cursor
    change shape nor did anything happen when clicking around.
    I had adblock plus disabled for the site, just like noscript set for "allow"
    or even "allow all". It just didn't work.
    Well, at work and with Xp boxen, our inhouse oracle java app (needing the
    oracle java initiator) shows a similar effect: it simply does not work once
    noscript is installed - even when deactivated with "allow all". Damn. Only
    uninstall of the plugin cures.

  7. Re: vmware server 2.0?

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 00:00:08 +0200, wisdomkiller & pain wrote:

    > General Schvantzkopf wrote:

    >> Are you using the released version of VMware Server 2? RC1 had a
    >> problem with the Firefox 3.0.1 or higher, the plugin install script was
    >> checking for 3.0. The plugin is working fine for me on Firefox 3.0.2 on
    >> 64 bit Fedora 9.

    > Well, when I tried it last time this was another issue, got around by
    > installing some plugin to override compatibility settings. Still, the
    > vmware plugin didn't work: I could see the black screen with vmware logo
    > and the advice to click on it ... but neither did the cursor change
    > shape nor did anything happen when clicking around. I had adblock plus
    > disabled for the site, just like noscript set for "allow" or even "allow
    > all". It just didn't work. Well, at work and with Xp boxen, our inhouse
    > oracle java app (needing the oracle java initiator) shows a similar
    > effect: it simply does not work once noscript is installed - even when
    > deactivated with "allow all". Damn. Only uninstall of the plugin cures.

    Noscript seems like a good idea but it breaks a lot of things. I had it
    installed last week for a while but I ended up removing it. I forget what
    it was that caused me to remove it, it might have been webmin or even
    vmware, I don't remember, but simply setting the allow of that particular
    site wasn't sufficient.

+ Reply to Thread