Error while updating - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Error while updating - Ubuntu ; Using the Wubi install of Ubuntu. I'm alerted that updates are available for my computer. I always elect to get the updates. But this time the update process fails. I get this error message: W: Failed to fetch http://apt.wxwidgets.org/dists/hardy-wx/main/binary- i386/python-wxgtk2.8_2.8.9.0-0_i386.deb ...

  1. Error while updating

    Using the Wubi install of Ubuntu.

    I'm alerted that updates are available for my computer. I always elect
    to get the updates. But this time the update process fails. I get this
    error message:

    W: Failed to fetch http://apt.wxwidgets.org/dists/hardy-wx/main/binary-
    i386/python-wxgtk2.8_2.8.9.0-0_i386.deb
    Size mismatch

    What's up with that? Is there a fix?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Error while updating

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 04:50:59 +0000, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
    > Using the Wubi install of Ubuntu.
    >
    > I'm alerted that updates are available for my computer. I always elect
    > to get the updates. But this time the update process fails. I get this
    > error message:
    >

    > W: Failed to fetch http://apt.wxwidgets.org/dists/hardy-wx/main/binary-
    > i386/python-wxgtk2.8_2.8.9.0-0_i386.deb
    > Size mismatch
    >
    > What's up with that? Is there a fix?

    I got that today too, and here's what I did to fix it:
    1) Open a terminal (Applications->Accessories->Terminal)
    2) type "sudo apt-get clean" #This clears your apt cache, deleting all
    the debs your update manager has downloaded including the one that causes
    the error. Enter your password if asked.
    3) type "sudo apt-get upgrade" #This will re-download the update and,
    assuming the download is successful, install it for you.

  3. Re: Error while updating

    > On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 04:50:59 +0000, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
    >> Using the Wubi install of Ubuntu.
    >>
    >> I'm alerted that updates are available for my computer. I always elect
    >> to get the updates. But this time the update process fails. I get
    >> this error message:
    >>

    >> W: Failed to fetch http://apt.wxwidgets.org/dists/hardy-wx/main/binary-
    >> i386/python-wxgtk2.8_2.8.9.0-0_i386.deb
    >> Size mismatch
    >>
    >> What's up with that? Is there a fix?

    > I got that today too, and here's what I did to fix it: 1) Open a
    > terminal (Applications->Accessories->Terminal) 2) type "sudo apt-get
    > clean" #This clears your apt cache, deleting all the debs your update
    > manager has downloaded including the one that causes the error. Enter
    > your password if asked. 3) type "sudo apt-get upgrade" #This will
    > re-download the update and, assuming the download is successful, install
    > it for you.

    Got an error message at the end, some updates couldn't be gotten. I'll
    see what happens the next time I have a problem.

    Thanks.

  4. Re: Error while updating

    On 09/29/2008 09:56 AM Jeffrey Needle scribbled:

    >> On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 04:50:59 +0000, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
    >>> Using the Wubi install of Ubuntu.
    >>>
    >>> I'm alerted that updates are available for my computer. I always elect
    >>> to get the updates. But this time the update process fails. I get
    >>> this error message:
    >>>

    >>> W: Failed to fetch http://apt.wxwidgets.org/dists/hardy-wx/main/binary-
    >>> i386/python-wxgtk2.8_2.8.9.0-0_i386.deb
    >>> Size mismatch
    >>>
    >>> What's up with that? Is there a fix?

    >> I got that today too, and here's what I did to fix it: 1) Open a
    >> terminal (Applications->Accessories->Terminal) 2) type "sudo apt-get
    >> clean" #This clears your apt cache, deleting all the debs your update
    >> manager has downloaded including the one that causes the error. Enter
    >> your password if asked. 3) type "sudo apt-get upgrade" #This will
    >> re-download the update and, assuming the download is successful, install
    >> it for you.

    > Got an error message at the end, some updates couldn't be gotten. I'll
    > see what happens the next time I have a problem.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I've gotten that message a couple of times, retried and it worked.
    Chalked it up to busy server, seemed like that kind of problem...

  5. Re: Error while updating

    >> Got an error message at the end, some updates couldn't be gotten. I'll
    >> see what happens the next time I have a problem.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > I've gotten that message a couple of times, retried and it worked.
    > Chalked it up to busy server, seemed like that kind of problem...

    Thou art indeed a prophet. It worked fine this morning.

  6. Re: Error while updating

    On 09/30/2008 09:35 AM Jeffrey Needle scribbled:

    >>> Got an error message at the end, some updates couldn't be gotten. I'll
    >>> see what happens the next time I have a problem.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> I've gotten that message a couple of times, retried and it worked.
    >> Chalked it up to busy server, seemed like that kind of problem...

    > Thou art indeed a prophet. It worked fine this morning.

    wish I was such - I would have been short stocks on Fridays close...

  7. Re: Error while updating

    > On 09/30/2008 09:35 AM Jeffrey Needle scribbled:

    >>> I've gotten that message a couple of times, retried and it worked.
    >>> Chalked it up to busy server, seemed like that kind of problem...

    >> Thou art indeed a prophet. It worked fine this morning.

    > wish I was such - I would have been short stocks on Fridays close...

    Hoop!

    I don't know that anyone's prophetic powers are *that* good.

    I have the ultimate protection from fluctuations in the market -- I'm
    broke.

+ Reply to Thread