Will IE6 under Wine get infected? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Will IE6 under Wine get infected? - Ubuntu ; On 2008-09-30, General Schvantzkopf wrote: > On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 23:41:53 -0500, Ignoramus21406 wrote: > >> Let's say that I run IE6 under WINE. (which I have installed). >> >> And let's further say that I visit an evil, ...

  1. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    On 2008-09-30, General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 23:41:53 -0500, Ignoramus21406 wrote:
    >
    >> Let's say that I run IE6 under WINE. (which I have installed).
    >>
    >> And let's further say that I visit an evil, spyware infested website,
    >> such as
    >>
    >> http://o n l i n e p r i v a t e s c a
    >> n.com/2009/1/_freescan.php?id=880135
    >>
    >> using that IE6. Would the WINE software somehow get infected?

    > Why do you want to use IE6 for general surfing? IE is a dreadful browser

    It is a theoretical question only.

    > the only reason to use it is for those very rare sites that won't work
    > with anything else. I can't remember when I've had to resort to IE, most
    > everything works with Firefox and for those few sites that don't I've
    > found that Opera or Konqueror will usually do the trick. If you restrict
    > your IE use to only those few sites that won't work with anything else you
    > won't be at risk for infection because you will have already determined
    > that those sites are safe. With Windows the trick is to keep it in a
    > bubble and you won't have a problem. I've been using Windows VMs for
    > years, going back to the original Win4Lin + Win98. I've never used an
    > antivirus program in all those years and I've never had a problem. The
    > reason is that I never ever touch the web from Windows except for updates
    > from Microsoft and Intuit and similar ultra safe sites, also I'm always
    > behind a firewall so no one can touch the Windows VMs from outside. I do
    > all of my general web access from Linux using Linux browsers where I don't
    > have to worry.

    I agree, the question is more about WINE than about IE.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  2. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > Bill Baka wrote:
    >> Moron! I've used them all.
    >> I hate wasting my time replying to morons but here goes. Nobody in my
    >> podunk back woods town uses Linux, even after I have shown them that it
    >> will work with their computer. Most are just average win-droids and
    >> afraid to try to learn a new OS.
    >> My business label is "Baka Engineering Services" so I go to the
    >> customer's house and see the problem in the environment it is used in.
    >> People are real happy to not have to tear down their setup and go to a
    >> store that charges $50 just to take off the cover.
    >>

    > Calling names isn't very productive, Bill. Did I lower myself to call
    > you a name?

    No, but you aren't looking at the big picture of how to keep a business
    alive, and that is giving the customer what said customer wants.

    > You use Windows because you choose to, not because others force you to
    > use it.

    Yeah, right. If someone calls me to fix their computer I am **NOT**
    going to tell them they have to change their operating system.

    > I've told you this before, but maybe you do fit the label you used on
    > me, eh?

    Is 'Moron' a faux pas for you?

    > OTOH, let the Windroids use what they choose to use, and do not try to
    > force them. Don't they deserve what they get?

    I try to show people that there is life beyond M$ but usually get little
    response since they have to use windows at work.
    Bill Baka

  3. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > Bill Baka wrote:
    >> Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    >>
    >>> "John F. Morse" wrote in message

    >> WTF is your problem???

    >> Well then count both counties and cities in my area and they are both
    >> foolish.
    >> They upgraded about $50,000 worth of equipment and sold the rest at fire
    >> sale prices.

    >> ####### idiot. 60 years, the first 35 with out any decent computer to
    >> use, but now I have used just about everything.

    >>> LOL. Talk about delusional.
    >>>

    >> Which one of you is delusional?

    > Speaking of delusions, to just which one of us are you speaking?

    I give. The thread got lost almost as soon as it got posted.
    Bill Baka

  4. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    AZ Nomad wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 23:38:37 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:
    >
    >> elaich wrote:
    >>> LMAO at Bill Baka, who is such a Wintard that he is still posting HTML to
    >>> Usenet.
    >>>

    >> I have a choice and that is to irritate people like you.
    >>

    > Ditto here.

    Thank you for the plonk.
    I just set plain text as the default just for you guys.
    Bill Baka

  5. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    Bill Baka wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 15:59:07 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:
    >>

    >>> For this I pay taxes???
    >>> Bill Baka
    >>>

    >> Been there and done that.
    >> I tried with my school district and gave up.
    >>

    > Same here, except the school district supervisor is harder to see than
    > God. Big ego but no intelligent action.
    >> Actually I assisted another person who wanted Linux to be evaluated as well
    >> as Windows when the school was replacing their computers last year.
    >>
    >> The Microsoft consultant steam rolled Linux in one meeting and the parents
    >> wanted no part of Linux.
    >>

    > That is a pisser. People tend to think that just because M$ is so big it
    > must be better than sex. Also, nobody in the school district seems to
    > have the brass balls to champion the cause.
    >> My tax dollars hard at work.

    I don't think that I would have been a Linux convert if MS gave me
    better sex than my wife.
    caver1

  6. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 18:38:18 -0500, Ignoramus28941 wrote:

    > On 2008-09-30, General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >> On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 23:41:53 -0500, Ignoramus21406 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Let's say that I run IE6 under WINE. (which I have installed).
    >>>
    >>> And let's further say that I visit an evil, spyware infested website,
    >>> such as
    >>>
    >>> http://o n l i n e p r i v a t e s c a
    >>> n.com/2009/1/_freescan.php?id=880135
    >>>
    >>> using that IE6. Would the WINE software somehow get infected?

    >> Why do you want to use IE6 for general surfing? IE is a dreadful
    >> browser

    > It is a theoretical question only.
    >
    >> the only reason to use it is for those very rare sites that won't work
    >> with anything else. I can't remember when I've had to resort to IE,
    >> most everything works with Firefox and for those few sites that don't
    >> I've found that Opera or Konqueror will usually do the trick. If you
    >> restrict your IE use to only those few sites that won't work with
    >> anything else you won't be at risk for infection because you will have
    >> already determined that those sites are safe. With Windows the trick is
    >> to keep it in a bubble and you won't have a problem. I've been using
    >> Windows VMs for years, going back to the original Win4Lin + Win98. I've
    >> never used an antivirus program in all those years and I've never had a
    >> problem. The reason is that I never ever touch the web from Windows
    >> except for updates from Microsoft and Intuit and similar ultra safe
    >> sites, also I'm always behind a firewall so no one can touch the
    >> Windows VMs from outside. I do all of my general web access from Linux
    >> using Linux browsers where I don't have to worry.
    >>

    > I agree, the question is more about WINE than about IE.

    Fair enough. I don't use WINE, I gave up on it a long time ago, but it
    seems that everyone else has given you some pretty good answers. The
    bottom line is that when running Windows apps on Linux, either through VMs
    or with WINE, they are vulnerable to malware just like they are on native
    Linux. However consequences are much much less for two reasons, 1) you can
    isolate the Windows apps from each other be creating multiple VMs so that
    they can't infect each other. 2) It's trivial to recover by restoring the
    old environment by copying the backup copy of the VM or .wine directory to
    the working copy.

  7. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 16:43:34 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:

    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 22:19:02 +0100, dennis@home wrote:
    >

    >>"AZ Nomad" wrote in message

    >>> You can't run it if you're not admin as the first thing it wants to do
    >>> is do updates. If you don't let it do updates, it won't run.

    >>Cr@p program then.

    > Nope. Just written for the windows OS where the default user is
    > invariably an admin.

    >>> Name one.

    >>Anything you want to install in bin for a start.
    >>You can't install stuff in some places without root.

    > Irrelevent. Install != use.
    >
    > Again, please name a single linux app that needs root to run.

    nvidia-settings.
    Unless you plan on losing your settings when you close your session because
    it won't write xorg.conf as a user.

  8. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    dennis@home wrote:

    > Very few businesses run with users as admin.

    /Every/ business I've been to in a consultancy role has users as admins -
    even major High Street banks!

    > Home users tend to run as admin on XP.

    So do 99% of the rest of the Windoze "users".

    C.

  9. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    "caver1" wrote in message
    > Bill Baka wrote:
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Been there and done that.
    >>> I tried with my school district and gave up.
    >>>

    >> Same here, except the school district supervisor is harder to see than
    >> God. Big ego but no intelligent action.
    >>> Actually I assisted another person who wanted Linux to be evaluated as
    >>> well
    >>> as Windows when the school was replacing their computers last year.
    >>>
    >>> The Microsoft consultant steam rolled Linux in one meeting and the
    >>> parents
    >>> wanted no part of Linux.
    >>>

    >> That is a pisser. People tend to think that just because M$ is so big it
    >> must be better than sex. Also, nobody in the school district seems to
    >> have the brass balls to champion the cause.
    >>> My tax dollars hard at work.

    > I don't think that I would have been a Linux convert if MS gave me better
    > sex than my wife.

    Get a better wife.

    > caver1

  10. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    "General Schvantzkopf" wrote in message
    news:2LydnRnTLb7WSX_VnZ2dnUVZ_rPinZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 18:38:18 -0500, Ignoramus28941 wrote:

    >>> Why do you want to use IE6 for general surfing? IE is a dreadful
    >>> browser

    >> It is a theoretical question only.
    >>
    >>> the only reason to use it is for those very rare sites that won't work
    >>> with anything else. I can't remember when I've had to resort to IE,
    >>> most everything works with Firefox and for those few sites that don't
    >>> I've found that Opera or Konqueror will usually do the trick. If you
    >>> restrict your IE use to only those few sites that won't work with
    >>> anything else you won't be at risk for infection because you will have
    >>> already determined that those sites are safe. With Windows the trick is
    >>> to keep it in a bubble and you won't have a problem. I've been using
    >>> Windows VMs for years, going back to the original Win4Lin + Win98. I've
    >>> never used an antivirus program in all those years and I've never had a
    >>> problem. The reason is that I never ever touch the web from Windows
    >>> except for updates from Microsoft and Intuit and similar ultra safe
    >>> sites, also I'm always behind a firewall so no one can touch the
    >>> Windows VMs from outside. I do all of my general web access from Linux
    >>> using Linux browsers where I don't have to worry.
    >>>

    >> I agree, the question is more about WINE than about IE.

    > Fair enough. I don't use WINE, I gave up on it a long time ago, but it
    > seems that everyone else has given you some pretty good answers. The
    > bottom line is that when running Windows apps on Linux, either through VMs
    > or with WINE, they are vulnerable to malware just like they are on native
    > Linux. However consequences are much much less for two reasons, 1) you can
    > isolate the Windows apps from each other be creating multiple VMs so that
    > they can't infect each other. 2) It's trivial to recover by restoring the
    > old environment by copying the backup copy of the VM or .wine directory to
    > the working copy.

    It shares those characteristics with windows so yes.

  11. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    "Christopher Hunter" wrote in message
    > dennis@home wrote:
    >
    >> Very few businesses run with users as admin.

    > /Every/ business I've been to in a consultancy role has users as admins -
    > even major High Street banks!

    Obviously either you lie or they are incompetent.
    I expect the later could be true if they employ you to fix it for them.

    >> Home users tend to run as admin on XP.

    > So do 99% of the rest of the Windoze "users".

    Lets see, business and home users, what are the rest of users you are
    talking about?

  12. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    dennis@home wrote:

    >> So do 99% of the rest of the Windoze "users".

    > Lets see, business and home users, what are the rest of users you are
    > talking about?

    Obviously, you're a little "hard of thinking" today - the 99% of /other/
    users are the 99% that are /not/ "home" users. The business users.
    The /vast/ majority don't know that it's possible to run as anything other
    than "administrator"!

    C.

  13. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    > dennis@home wrote:
    >
    >>> So do 99% of the rest of the Windoze "users".

    >> Lets see, business and home users, what are the rest of users you are
    >> talking about?

    > Obviously, you're a little "hard of thinking" today - the 99% of /other/
    > users are the 99% that are /not/ "home" users. The business users.
    > The /vast/ majority don't know that it's possible to run as anything other
    > than "administrator"!

    That would be because they have "experts" like you that don't tell them
    then.

  14. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    dennis@home wrote:

    Just to end this nonsense:

    > However many successful businesses have been and still are being run using
    > windows.

    How much /more/ successful would they have been if they used something
    better than Windows with all its' attendant maintenance requirements?

    >> Funny thing is, since that upgrade, we've received /hundreds/ of
    >> referrals from companies disillusioned with MS' crapware....

    > So you say.

    I'm not short of upgrade work - there are an astonishing number of companies
    migrating.

    Game Over

    C.

  15. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    * dennis@home wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > "Christopher Hunter" wrote in message
    >> dennis@home wrote:
    >>
    >>> So they didn't know what they were doing and screwed it up.

    >> No. It was a malicious external attack. Windows (particularly
    >> Vista) is susceptible to those!

    > No it isn't, and any properly designed system wouldn't have been
    > externally accessible.

    Sorry, thats a pipe dream. In some instances you need a machine that is not
    behind a firewall. VPN software is notoriously picky in this fashion. I
    have 2 customers in particular that required me to connect to their network
    over a VPN and if I use a machine behind my firewall, I am unable to
    connect.

    --
    David

    "SINNER" wrote in message
    news:Xns9B2B93B74A868louiscypherhellorg@140.99.99. 130...
    > * dennis@home wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >

    >> "Christopher Hunter" wrote in message

    >>> No. It was a malicious external attack. Windows (particularly
    >>> Vista) is susceptible to those!

    >> No it isn't, and any properly designed system wouldn't have been
    >> externally accessible.

    > Sorry, thats a pipe dream. In some instances you need a machine that is
    > not
    > behind a firewall. VPN software is notoriously picky in this fashion. I
    > have 2 customers in particular that required me to connect to their
    > network
    > over a VPN and if I use a machine behind my firewall, I am unable to
    > connect.

    Get a better firewall then.
    If you don't have a firewall that you can configure to work you will just
    have to put /a/ machine on the other side of it.
    It still doesn't expose the network to any external threat.

  17. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    * dennis@home wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > "SINNER" wrote in message
    > news:Xns9B2B93B74A868louiscypherhellorg@140.99.99. 130...
    >> * dennis@home wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>

    >>> "Christopher Hunter" wrote in message

    >>> No it isn't, and any properly designed system wouldn't have been
    >>> externally accessible.

    >> Sorry, thats a pipe dream. In some instances you need a machine that
    >> is not
    >> behind a firewall. VPN software is notoriously picky in this fashion.
    >> I have 2 customers in particular that required me to connect to their
    >> network
    >> over a VPN and if I use a machine behind my firewall, I am unable to
    >> connect.

    > Get a better firewall then.

    I cant 'get a better firewall' The one I have is fine, the company (mine)
    isnt willing to make concessions and weaken the firewall for one
    customer.

    > If you don't have a firewall that you can configure to work you will
    > just have to put /a/ machine on the other side of it.
    > It still doesn't expose the network to any external threat.

    No, the network (mine) is not exposed, but the machine is and in the
    grand scheme of things, that's all that matters as I am now connecting,
    over a VPN to a foreign network and exposing thier network to whatever
    this single machine, may have caught.

    --
    David

  18. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    "SINNER" wrote in message
    news:Xns9B2B9FA527CFFlouiscypherhellorg@140.99.99. 130...
    > * dennis@home wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >

    >> "SINNER" wrote in message
    >> news:Xns9B2B93B74A868louiscypherhellorg@140.99.99. 130...

    >>> Sorry, thats a pipe dream. In some instances you need a machine that
    >>> is not
    >>> behind a firewall. VPN software is notoriously picky in this fashion.
    >>> I have 2 customers in particular that required me to connect to their
    >>> network
    >>> over a VPN and if I use a machine behind my firewall, I am unable to
    >>> connect.

    >> Get a better firewall then.

    > I cant 'get a better firewall' The one I have is fine, the company (mine)
    > isnt willing to make concessions and weaken the firewall for one
    > customer.
    >
    >> If you don't have a firewall that you can configure to work you will
    >> just have to put /a/ machine on the other side of it.
    >> It still doesn't expose the network to any external threat.
    >>

    > No, the network (mine) is not exposed, but the machine is and in the
    > grand scheme of things, that's all that matters as I am now connecting,
    > over a VPN to a foreign network and exposing thier network to whatever
    > this single machine, may have caught.

    Not if their VPN server has been done correctly you aren't.

    If it hasn't then they need a better admin person.

    Its your firewall that causes the problem, try using a transparent firewall
    rather than one with NAT.

  19. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 13:36:25 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

    >"Christopher Hunter" wrote in message
    >> dennis@home wrote:
    >>
    >>> So they didn't know what they were doing and screwed it up.

    >> No. It was a malicious external attack. Windows (particularly Vista) is
    >> susceptible to those!

    >No it isn't, and any properly designed system wouldn't have been externally
    >accessible.

    Microsoft has never understood the difference between a WAN and a LAN
    nor do they seem to have any experience with a malicious user trying
    to gain unmerited access. If anybody doing their architectures had
    spent a weekend at a school university's timesharing system, we
    wouldn't being seeing malware having such an easy time.

    Microsoft: the company that made e-mail dangerous.

  20. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    "AZ Nomad" wrote in message

    > Microsoft: the company that made e-mail dangerous.

    Dangerous? How?
    Any mug can be caught by a phishing scam.
    Nothing can execute from email if you only read plain text.
    I don't think M$ invented html either.