Will IE6 under Wine get infected? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Will IE6 under Wine get infected? - Ubuntu ; John F. Morse wrote: > > > You can easily refuse to support a corporation that lies and steals. > > I've told you this before, Bill, but you continue to complain and > whine, but will not lay down ...

  1. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    John F. Morse wrote:

    > You can easily refuse to support a corporation that lies and steals.
    >
    > I've told you this before, Bill, but you continue to complain and
    > whine, but will not lay down the rules even to your own children.

    They are my grandchildren, not mine biologically. My daughter is going
    for 2 Ph.D's.

    > How can you then expect your whining to influence a worthless government?
    >
    > Have you ever met with the individuals in your school board (not as a
    > speaker at a public meeting), and shown them the differences between
    > Windows and FOSS?
    >
    > You certainly won't do much hanging out in a Usenet alt group,
    > especially this one! It's populated by the choir, and a few losers.
    >
    > Just curious: What does OO or Micr0$lut Office have to do with an AA
    > meeting?

    He is rewriting the AA bible and wants it to be M$ compatible. I told
    him he could just save the file in text mode and then bring it into
    windows to put his final touches on it.

    > And why do you feel AA is "useless"? Oh, never mind. That's a topic
    > for an AA group.

    Sorry, but I don't drink and the heaviest drug I use is coffee, straight
    up black. The AA meetings seem like "Losers, Inc". Not my kind of crowd.

  2. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    John F. Morse wrote:

    > It all depends on what you consider a proper age for a child to stop
    > learning, and start choosing.
    >
    > Then add in their IQ, education, physical ability to take care of
    > themselves, financial status, etc.
    >
    > Only Bill could know these things, but I do know he has complained
    > that his daughter -- who lives in Bill's house -- will not obey his
    > wishes.
    >
    > Perhaps if she wants choice that bad, she should move out and make her
    > own living, eh?
    >
    > Life isn't easy, nor has it ever been fair. You gotta learn to roll
    > with the punches and take the bad with the good.
    >
    > And life isn't software.

    I'm supporting her as long as she wants to go to college and get her 2
    doctorates.
    It's called 'parenting'.

  3. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    elaich wrote:
    > Bill Baka wrote in news:wJbEk.2107$yr3.1699
    > @nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com:
    >

    >> Bill Baka
    >>
    >> Attachment decoded: untitled-2.txt
    >> --------------090002090509050304070208
    >>

    > LMAO at Bill Baka, who is such a Wintard that he is still posting HTML to
    > Usenet.

    I have a choice and that is to irritate people like you.

  4. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    Bill Baka wrote:
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >
    >> Bill Baka wrote:

    >>> Unfortunately windows is the business default and there are many
    >>> programs that exist in windows but not Linux.
    >>> I don't like it but that is the reality.
    >>> Bill Baka
    >>>

    >> Reality is that you failed to define your "the business" label.
    >>
    >> Not every business uses Windows Only the foolish ones. ;-)
    >>
    >> Some use Macs. Some use Unix. Some use Linux. Some use proprietary
    >> software.
    >>
    >> Stating Windows is "the" default is misrepresenting the real world,
    >> and displaying your narrow experiences.
    >>

    > Moron! I've used them all.
    > I hate wasting my time replying to morons but here goes. Nobody in my
    > podunk back woods town uses Linux, even after I have shown them that it
    > will work with their computer. Most are just average win-droids and
    > afraid to try to learn a new OS.
    > My business label is "Baka Engineering Services" so I go to the
    > customer's house and see the problem in the environment it is used in.
    > People are real happy to not have to tear down their setup and go to a
    > store that charges $50 just to take off the cover.

    Calling names isn't very productive, Bill. Did I lower myself to call
    you a name?

    You use Windows because you choose to, not because others force you to
    use it.

    I've told you this before, but maybe you do fit the label you used on
    me, eh?

    OTOH, let the Windroids use what they choose to use, and do not try to
    force them. Don't they deserve what they get?

    --
    John

  5. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    Bill Baka wrote:
    > Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    >
    >> "John F. Morse" wrote in message

    >>> Reality is that you failed to define your "the business" label.
    >>>

    > WTF is your problem???
    >
    >>> Not every business uses Windows Only the foolish ones. ;-)
    >>>

    > Well then count both counties and cities in my area and they are both
    > foolish.
    > They upgraded about $50,000 worth of equipment and sold the rest at fire
    > sale prices.
    >
    >>> Some use Macs. Some use Unix. Some use Linux. Some use proprietary
    >>> software.
    >>>
    >>> Stating Windows is "the" default is misrepresenting the real world, and
    >>> displaying your narrow experiences.
    >>>

    > ####### idiot. 60 years, the first 35 with out any decent computer to
    > use, but now I have used just about everything.
    >
    >>> --
    >>> John
    >>>

    >> LOL. Talk about delusional.
    >>

    > Which one of you is delusional?

    Speaking of delusions, to just which one of us are you speaking?

    --
    John

  6. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    Bill Baka wrote:
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >
    >> It all depends on what you consider a proper age for a child to stop
    >> learning, and start choosing.
    >>
    >> Then add in their IQ, education, physical ability to take care of
    >> themselves, financial status, etc.
    >>
    >> Only Bill could know these things, but I do know he has complained
    >> that his daughter -- who lives in Bill's house -- will not obey his
    >> wishes.
    >>
    >> Perhaps if she wants choice that bad, she should move out and make her
    >> own living, eh?
    >>
    >> Life isn't easy, nor has it ever been fair. You gotta learn to roll
    >> with the punches and take the bad with the good.
    >>
    >> And life isn't software.
    >>

    > I'm supporting her as long as she wants to go to college and get her 2
    > doctorates.
    > It's called 'parenting'.

    No, it's called financial support.

    "Parenting" involves a lot more than a financial crutch.

    --
    John

  7. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    Bill Baka wrote:

    > Unfortunately windows is the business default

    Not any more!

    > and there are many programs that exist in windows but not Linux.

    Most of them are superceded now by good Linux programs.

    > I don't like it but that is the reality.

    Not any more!

    C.

  8. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    Bill Baka wrote:

    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>> That was XP, since Vista is never getting near this computer.

    >>> To add insult to injury my granddaughter is being taught M$ powerpoint
    >>> in 7th grade, and when I mentioned Linux i just got a blank stare.

    >> Quick! Innoculate her with OpenOffice Impress!
    >>

    > I wish I could, but even her older brother is getting window-ized in high
    > school.

    Get them into a /proper/ school! The better schools in this country have
    abandoned Windoze rubbish-ware some while ago.

    > The best education I can think of might be to learn how to
    > program, which could be used in just about any language, but then the kids
    > would probably get stuck with Visual crapware.

    Microsoft employ lost of "programmers" who believe that Visual Basic is
    a /programming/ language!

    > I have a friend who tried using open office and complained to me that it
    > wasn't 'exactly' the same so he went to M$ office to make his totally
    > useless Alcoholics Anonymous meetings.

    Only a /lapsed/ member of AA would consider using "Office" to be a good
    idea!

    > Linux has an uphill battle on the school front. The last insult
    > was that they upgraded **ALL** their computers to be Vista compatible and
    > sold the old ones, displays included for about a nickel on the dollar, and
    > all their computers had been upgraded about 3 years ago. For this I pay
    > taxes???

    You should have offered to remove their "old" machines for the - they
    probably paid to have them taken away! You would have ended up with a
    garage full of perfectly serviceable machines that you could have
    reinstalled with proper OS and program software and either given away to
    charities or sold at low prices for people desperate for a cheap computer.

    I was given a large number of two-year-old Dell Optiplex machines and two
    Poweredge servers from a company that was "upgrading" to Vista. It took me
    an afternoon to reinstall the whole lot of them, and they went to a very
    under-funded community adult education project.

    About three weeks later, the company that had given me the machines asked me
    to find out what had "gone wrong with their software and network". Windows
    was replaced over the following weekend with CentOS on their servers and
    Ubuntu on their desktops. They have had no further problems!

    C.

  9. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    Ignoramus24410 wrote:
    > If you give Windows write access to the user's home directory, then it
    > can infect the user and it cannot be plugged. There is .bashrc,
    > .profile, .procmailrc, .forward, and various scripts written by the
    > user that can all be compromised.

    Exactly my (unstated) point earlier in the thread.

    At least the two of us understand the threat :-)

    Regards,
    Chris

  10. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    dennis@home wrote:
    > I haven't had to log out and log in as admin for months.
    > I expect most users would never need to log out and log on as admin either.
    > Even the "I want to run as admin" prompt only pops up when I run my backup
    > program or if I manually invoke the AV updater.

    I'm a linux user at work and home, with the exception of a family computer
    that runs XP. I have the only administrator account on that box, but
    when setting up the children's games, etc., I find I /do/ have to switch
    between accounts.

    So, I'd appreciate being able to take this offline to email (since it's
    clearly offtopic for AOLU), please? My reply-to address is valid.

    Regards,
    Chris

  11. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    Yo do not have to explain yourself to anyone. "**** YOU" is a
    perfectly appropriate answer.

    On 2008-09-30, Bill Baka wrote:
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >>

    >> It all depends on what you consider a proper age for a child to stop
    >> learning, and start choosing.
    >>
    >> Then add in their IQ, education, physical ability to take care of
    >> themselves, financial status, etc.
    >>
    >> Only Bill could know these things, but I do know he has complained
    >> that his daughter -- who lives in Bill's house -- will not obey his
    >> wishes.
    >>
    >> Perhaps if she wants choice that bad, she should move out and make her
    >> own living, eh?
    >>
    >> Life isn't easy, nor has it ever been fair. You gotta learn to roll
    >> with the punches and take the bad with the good.
    >>
    >> And life isn't software.

    > I'm supporting her as long as she wants to go to college and get her 2
    > doctorates.
    > It's called 'parenting'.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  12. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 23:38:37 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:
    >elaich wrote:
    >> Bill Baka wrote in news:wJbEk.2107$yr3.1699
    >> @nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com:
    >>

    >>> Bill Baka
    >>>
    >>> Attachment decoded: untitled-2.txt
    >>> --------------090002090509050304070208
    >>>

    >> LMAO at Bill Baka, who is such a Wintard that he is still posting HTML to
    >> Usenet.
    >>

    >I have a choice and that is to irritate people like you.

    Ditto here.

  13. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    "AZ Nomad" wrote in message

    > Or you want to run any of thousands of applications that can only run
    > as admin. Turbotax is a lovely example.

    Admin is only required to install it or update it, the same as many linux
    apps require root.

  14. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 20:33:21 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

    >"AZ Nomad" wrote in message

    >> Or you want to run any of thousands of applications that can only run
    >> as admin. Turbotax is a lovely example.

    >Admin is only required to install it or update it,

    You can't run it if you're not admin as the first thing it wants to do
    is do updates. If you don't let it do updates, it won't run.

    >the same as many linux apps require root.

    Name one.

  15. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    "Christopher Hunter" wrote in message

    > About three weeks later, the company that had given me the machines asked
    > me
    > to find out what had "gone wrong with their software and network".
    > Windows
    > was replaced over the following weekend with CentOS on their servers and
    > Ubuntu on their desktops.

    So what had gone wrong then?
    Or do you just do things without any real clue as to what was wrong?

  16. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    "Chris Davies" wrote in message
    > dennis@home wrote:
    >> I haven't had to log out and log in as admin for months.
    >> I expect most users would never need to log out and log on as admin
    >> either.
    >> Even the "I want to run as admin" prompt only pops up when I run my
    >> backup
    >> program or if I manually invoke the AV updater.

    > I'm a linux user at work and home, with the exception of a family computer
    > that runs XP. I have the only administrator account on that box, but
    > when setting up the children's games, etc., I find I /do/ have to switch
    > between accounts.

    Its quite common to need admin to install and setup programs on windows and
    linux.
    Its due to the protection mechanisms preventing an ordinary user writing to
    certain things.

    There are few programs that need admin to run on linux or windows.

    > So, I'd appreciate being able to take this offline to email (since it's
    > clearly offtopic for AOLU), please? My reply-to address is valid.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Chris

  17. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    "AZ Nomad" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 20:33:21 +0100, dennis@home
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"AZ Nomad" wrote in message

    >>> Or you want to run any of thousands of applications that can only run
    >>> as admin. Turbotax is a lovely example.

    >>Admin is only required to install it or update it,

    > You can't run it if you're not admin as the first thing it wants to do
    > is do updates. If you don't let it do updates, it won't run.

    Cr@p program then.
    I have no use for it not being an American tax payer.

    >>the same as many linux apps require root.

    > Name one.

    Anything you want to install in bin for a start.
    You can't install stuff in some places without root.

  18. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 22:19:02 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

    >"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 20:33:21 +0100, dennis@home
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"AZ Nomad" wrote in message

    >>>Admin is only required to install it or update it,

    >> You can't run it if you're not admin as the first thing it wants to do
    >> is do updates. If you don't let it do updates, it won't run.

    >Cr@p program then.

    Nope. Just written for the windows OS where the default user is
    invariably an admin.

    >>>the same as many linux apps require root.

    >> Name one.

    >Anything you want to install in bin for a start.
    >You can't install stuff in some places without root.

    Irrelevent. Install != use.

    Again, please name a single linux app that needs root to run.

  19. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 23:41:53 -0500, Ignoramus21406 wrote:

    > Let's say that I run IE6 under WINE. (which I have installed).
    >
    > And let's further say that I visit an evil, spyware infested website,
    > such as
    >
    > http://o n l i n e p r i v a t e s c a
    > n.com/2009/1/_freescan.php?id=880135
    >
    > using that IE6. Would the WINE software somehow get infected?

    Why do you want to use IE6 for general surfing? IE is a dreadful browser
    the only reason to use it is for those very rare sites that won't work
    with anything else. I can't remember when I've had to resort to IE, most
    everything works with Firefox and for those few sites that don't I've
    found that Opera or Konqueror will usually do the trick. If you restrict
    your IE use to only those few sites that won't work with anything else you
    won't be at risk for infection because you will have already determined
    that those sites are safe. With Windows the trick is to keep it in a
    bubble and you won't have a problem. I've been using Windows VMs for
    years, going back to the original Win4Lin + Win98. I've never used an
    antivirus program in all those years and I've never had a problem. The
    reason is that I never ever touch the web from Windows except for updates
    from Microsoft and Intuit and similar ultra safe sites, also I'm always
    behind a firewall so no one can touch the Windows VMs from outside. I do
    all of my general web access from Linux using Linux browsers where I don't
    have to worry.

  20. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 15:59:07 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:
    >

    >> For this I pay taxes???
    >> Bill Baka
    >>

    > Been there and done that.
    > I tried with my school district and gave up.

    Same here, except the school district supervisor is harder to see than
    God. Big ego but no intelligent action.
    > Actually I assisted another person who wanted Linux to be evaluated as well
    > as Windows when the school was replacing their computers last year.
    >
    > The Microsoft consultant steam rolled Linux in one meeting and the parents
    > wanted no part of Linux.

    That is a pisser. People tend to think that just because M$ is so big it
    must be better than sex. Also, nobody in the school district seems to
    have the brass balls to champion the cause.
    > My tax dollars hard at work.

    Amen.
    Bill Baka