Will IE6 under Wine get infected? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Will IE6 under Wine get infected? - Ubuntu ; NoStop wrote: > > One simple solution - don't use wine. Who needs to run Windoze programs > anyways? If you MUST, then run them in a VM. > > Cheers. > > Unfortunately windows is the business default and ...

  1. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    NoStop wrote:

    > One simple solution - don't use wine. Who needs to run Windoze programs
    > anyways? If you MUST, then run them in a VM.
    >
    > Cheers.

    Unfortunately windows is the business default and there are many
    programs that exist in windows but not Linux.
    I don't like it but that is the reality.
    Bill Baka

  2. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >> That was XP, since Vista is never getting near this computer.

    >> To add insult to injury my granddaughter is being taught M$ powerpoint
    >> in 7th grade, and when I mentioned Linux i just got a blank stare.

    > Quick! Innoculate her with OpenOffice Impress!

    I wish I could, but even her older brother is getting window-ized in high school.
    The best education I can think of might be to learn how to program, which could be used in just about any language, but then the kids would probably get stuck with Visual crapware.
    I have a friend who tried using open office and complained to me that it wasn't 'exactly' the same so he went to M$ office to make his totally useless Alcoholics Anonymous meetings.
    Linux has an uphill battle on the school front. The last insult was that they upgraded **ALL** their computers to be Vista compatible and sold the old ones, displays included for about a nickel on the dollar, and all their computers had been upgraded about 3 years ago.
    For this I pay taxes???
    Bill Baka

  3. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    Bill Baka wrote:
    > NoStop wrote:
    >
    >> One simple solution - don't use wine. Who needs to run Windoze programs
    >> anyways? If you MUST, then run them in a VM.
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>

    > Unfortunately windows is the business default and there are many
    > programs that exist in windows but not Linux.
    > I don't like it but that is the reality.
    > Bill Baka

    Reality is that you failed to define your "the business" label.

    Not every business uses Windows Only the foolish ones. ;-)

    Some use Macs. Some use Unix. Some use Linux. Some use proprietary software.

    Stating Windows is "the" default is misrepresenting the real world, and
    displaying your narrow experiences.

    --
    John

  4. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 13:01:51 -0500, Ignoramus24410 wrote:
    >> Except that the kernel will most likely be immune as fixes for serious
    >> vulnerabilities tend to be made and distributed within a matter of days.

    >The above is the way to take over the user's linux account. Which can
    >be used to send spam, steal data, etc. Very bad even if the attacker
    >does not get root.

    You're insane.

    Fixing vulnerabilities is NOT the way to take over a user's linux account.

  5. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    "John F. Morse" wrote in message
    > Bill Baka wrote:
    >> NoStop wrote:
    >>
    >>> One simple solution - don't use wine. Who needs to run Windoze programs
    >>> anyways? If you MUST, then run them in a VM.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.
    >>>

    >> Unfortunately windows is the business default and there are many
    >> programs that exist in windows but not Linux.
    >> I don't like it but that is the reality.
    >> Bill Baka
    >>

    > Reality is that you failed to define your "the business" label.
    >
    > Not every business uses Windows Only the foolish ones. ;-)
    >
    > Some use Macs. Some use Unix. Some use Linux. Some use proprietary
    > software.
    >
    > Stating Windows is "the" default is misrepresenting the real world, and
    > displaying your narrow experiences.
    >
    > --
    > John

    LOL. Talk about delusional.

  6. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 20:54:09 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

    >"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 12:11:17 -0500, Ignoramus24410
    >> wrote:

    >>>That's cool to hear. Of course, Windows has user separation also built
    >>>in, but it is very impractical to not have admin privileges. You have
    >>>to log out and log on a lot.

    >> It's pretty much worthless. Most people would rather replace their
    >> computers
    >> annually when they get infected than play the log out, become admin,
    >> change the
    >> user to admin, log out, log in as admin'd user, do whatever, log out, log
    >> in as
    >> admin, change the user back, log out, and log back in as the user game.

    >Really?
    >I haven't had to log out and log in as admin for months.
    >I expect most users would never need to log out and log on as admin either.
    >Even the "I want to run as admin" prompt only pops up when I run my backup
    >program or if I manually invoke the AV updater.
    >It just that some people don't have a clue how to setup windows.

    Or you want to run any of thousands of applications that can only run
    as admin. Turbotax is a lovely example.

  7. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    Bill Baka wrote:
    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >>> That was XP, since Vista is never getting near this computer.

    >>> To add insult to injury my granddaughter is being taught M$ powerpoint
    >>> in 7th grade, and when I mentioned Linux i just got a blank stare.

    >> Quick! Innoculate her with OpenOffice Impress!
    >>

    > I wish I could, but even her older brother is getting window-ized in high school.
    > The best education I can think of might be to learn how to program, which could be used in just about any language, but then the kids would probably get stuck with Visual crapware.
    > I have a friend who tried using open office and complained to me that it wasn't 'exactly' the same so he went to M$ office to make his totally useless Alcoholics Anonymous meetings.
    > Linux has an uphill battle on the school front. The last insult was that they upgraded **ALL** their computers to be Vista compatible and sold the old ones, displays included for about a nickel on the dollar, and all their computers had been upgraded about 3 years ago.
    > For this I pay taxes???
    > Bill Baka

    You can easily refuse to support a corporation that lies and steals.

    I've told you this before, Bill, but you continue to complain and whine,
    but will not lay down the rules even to your own children.

    How can you then expect your whining to influence a worthless government?

    Have you ever met with the individuals in your school board (not as a
    speaker at a public meeting), and shown them the differences between
    Windows and FOSS?

    You certainly won't do much hanging out in a Usenet alt group,
    especially this one! It's populated by the choir, and a few losers.

    Just curious: What does OO or Micr0$lut Office have to do with an AA
    meeting?

    And why do you feel AA is "useless"? Oh, never mind. That's a topic for
    an AA group.

    --
    John

  8. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    On 2008-09-29, Bill Baka wrote:
    > NoStop wrote:
    >>
    >> One simple solution - don't use wine. Who needs to run Windoze programs
    >> anyways? If you MUST, then run them in a VM.
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>

    > Unfortunately windows is the business default and there are many
    > programs that exist in windows but not Linux.
    > I don't like it but that is the reality.

    In reality, I switched to Linux only at work and have everything that
    I need.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  9. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    On 2008-09-29, AZ Nomad wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 13:01:51 -0500, Ignoramus24410 wrote:
    >>> Except that the kernel will most likely be immune as fixes for serious
    >>> vulnerabilities tend to be made and distributed within a matter of days.

    >>The above is the way to take over the user's linux account. Which can
    >>be used to send spam, steal data, etc. Very bad even if the attacker
    >>does not get root.

    > You're insane.
    >
    > Fixing vulnerabilities is NOT the way to take over a user's linux account.

    You snipped the "above example" of how to infect a user account via H:
    drive in Wine.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  10. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 18:51:50 -0500, Ignoramus24410 wrote:

    >>>The above is the way to take over the user's linux account. Which can
    >>>be used to send spam, steal data, etc. Very bad even if the attacker
    >>>does not get root.

    >> You're insane.
    >>
    >> Fixing vulnerabilities is NOT the way to take over a user's linux account.
    >>

    >You snipped the "above example" of how to infect a user account via H:
    >drive in Wine.

    And you ignored my comment about the fact that the vulnerability
    posted at some website is likely to be for something that has been fixed.

  11. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    On 2008-09-30, AZ Nomad wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 18:51:50 -0500, Ignoramus24410 wrote:

    >>> You're insane.
    >>>
    >>> Fixing vulnerabilities is NOT the way to take over a user's linux account.
    >>>

    >>You snipped the "above example" of how to infect a user account via H:
    >>drive in Wine.

    > And you ignored my comment about the fact that the vulnerability
    > posted at some website is likely to be for something that has been fixed.

    Try to actually understand what I wrote.

    If you give Windows write access to the user's home directory, then it
    can infect the user and it cannot be plugged. There is .bashrc,
    ..profile, .procmailrc, .forward, and various scripts written by the
    user that can all be compromised.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  12. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    Bill Baka wrote in

    > To add insult to injury my granddaughter is being taught M$ powerpoint
    > in 7th grade, and when I mentioned Linux i just got a blank stare.

    .........and at one time not so long ago, x86 based machines were a rarity
    in the school setting as educators glommed onto the Apple units....don't
    give up, there's still hope! :-)

    > Bill Baka
    >
    > Attachment decoded: untitled-2.txt
    > --------------090002090509050304070208

    Whoops....left ya htm on there, Bill.

  13. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    "John F. Morse" wrote in

    > You can easily refuse to support a corporation that lies and steals.
    >
    > I've told you this before, Bill, but you continue to complain and
    > whine, but will not lay down the rules even to your own children.

    Hmmmmm.......whatever happened to the linux ideology of "choice"....does
    that automatically go by the roadside because they wish to utilize another
    OS, such as Windows, in their tool arsenal?

    > And why do you feel AA is "useless"? Oh, never mind. That's a topic
    > for an AA group.

    Was kinda wondering that maself....but as you quite correctly noted, it a
    topic for another newsgroup. :-)

  14. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 21:11:04 +0000 (UTC), propman wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in
    >
    >>> That's cool to hear. Of course, Windows has user separation also
    >>> built in, but it is very impractical to not have admin privileges.
    >>> You have to log out and log on a lot.

    > FWIW, being one who has run various flavours of OSes since the '80's (all
    > at the equivalent of "administrator") I find that linux's constant demand
    > for passwords to do the most basic of changes is a REAL PITA and more so
    > that Vista's UAC nagging. :-)

    I don't think I wrote that, however I find Linux easier.
    Windows is fine as long as you are not installing programs or have one of
    the oddball programs that requires administrator rights to run.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  15. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    propman wrote:
    > "John F. Morse" wrote in
    >

    >> You can easily refuse to support a corporation that lies and steals.
    >>
    >> I've told you this before, Bill, but you continue to complain and
    >> whine, but will not lay down the rules even to your own children.
    >>

    > Hmmmmm.......whatever happened to the linux ideology of "choice"....does
    > that automatically go by the roadside because they wish to utilize another
    > OS, such as Windows, in their tool arsenal?

    It all depends on what you consider a proper age for a child to stop
    learning, and start choosing.

    Then add in their IQ, education, physical ability to take care of
    themselves, financial status, etc.

    Only Bill could know these things, but I do know he has complained that
    his daughter -- who lives in Bill's house -- will not obey his wishes.

    Perhaps if she wants choice that bad, she should move out and make her
    own living, eh?

    Life isn't easy, nor has it ever been fair. You gotta learn to roll with
    the punches and take the bad with the good.

    And life isn't software.

    --
    John

  16. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 15:59:07 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:

    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>> That was XP, since Vista is never getting near this computer.

    >>> To add insult to injury my granddaughter is being taught M$ powerpoint
    >>> in 7th grade, and when I mentioned Linux i just got a blank stare.

    >> Quick! Innoculate her with OpenOffice Impress!
    >>

    > I wish I could, but even her older brother is getting window-ized in high school.
    > The best education I can think of might be to learn how to program, which could be used in just about any language, but then the kids would probably get stuck with Visual crapware.
    > I have a friend who tried using open office and complained to me that it wasn't 'exactly' the same so he went to M$ office to make his totally useless Alcoholics Anonymous meetings.
    > Linux has an uphill battle on the school front. The last insult was that they upgraded **ALL** their computers to be Vista compatible and sold the old ones, displays included for about a nickel on the dollar, and all their computers had been upgraded about 3 years ago.
    > For this I pay taxes???
    > Bill Baka

    Been there and done that.
    I tried with my school district and gave up.

    Actually I assisted another person who wanted Linux to be evaluated as well
    as Windows when the school was replacing their computers last year.

    The Microsoft consultant steam rolled Linux in one meeting and the parents
    wanted no part of Linux.

    My tax dollars hard at work.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb

  17. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 19:12:08 -0500, Ignoramus24410 wrote:

    > On 2008-09-30, AZ Nomad wrote:

    >>>You snipped the "above example" of how to infect a user account via H:
    >>>drive in Wine.

    >> And you ignored my comment about the fact that the vulnerability
    >> posted at some website is likely to be for something that has been fixed.

    > Try to actually understand what I wrote.
    >
    > If you give Windows write access to the user's home directory, then it
    > can infect the user and it cannot be plugged. There is .bashrc,
    > .profile, .procmailrc, .forward, and various scripts written by the
    > user that can all be compromised.

    That seems logical to me....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  18. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    Bill Baka wrote in news:wJbEk.2107$yr3.1699
    @nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com:

    > Bill Baka
    >
    > Attachment decoded: untitled-2.txt
    > --------------090002090509050304070208

    LMAO at Bill Baka, who is such a Wintard that he is still posting HTML to
    Usenet.

  19. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > Bill Baka wrote:
    >> NoStop wrote:
    >>
    >>> One simple solution - don't use wine. Who needs to run Windoze programs
    >>> anyways? If you MUST, then run them in a VM.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.
    >>>

    >> Unfortunately windows is the business default and there are many
    >> programs that exist in windows but not Linux.
    >> I don't like it but that is the reality.
    >> Bill Baka
    >>

    > Reality is that you failed to define your "the business" label.
    >
    > Not every business uses Windows Only the foolish ones. ;-)
    >
    > Some use Macs. Some use Unix. Some use Linux. Some use proprietary
    > software.
    >
    > Stating Windows is "the" default is misrepresenting the real world,
    > and displaying your narrow experiences.

    Moron! I've used them all.
    I hate wasting my time replying to morons but here goes. Nobody in my
    podunk back woods town uses Linux, even after I have shown them that it
    will work with their computer. Most are just average win-droids and
    afraid to try to learn a new OS.
    My business label is "Baka Engineering Services" so I go to the
    customer's house and see the problem in the environment it is used in.
    People are real happy to not have to tear down their setup and go to a
    store that charges $50 just to take off the cover.

  20. Re: Will IE6 under Wine get infected?

    Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    > "John F. Morse" wrote in message
    >
    >> Bill Baka wrote:

    >>> Unfortunately windows is the business default and there are many
    >>> programs that exist in windows but not Linux.
    >>> I don't like it but that is the reality.
    >>> Bill Baka
    >>>

    >> Reality is that you failed to define your "the business" label.

    WTF is your problem???
    >> Not every business uses Windows Only the foolish ones. ;-)

    Well then count both counties and cities in my area and they are both
    foolish.
    They upgraded about $50,000 worth of equipment and sold the rest at fire
    sale prices.
    >> Some use Macs. Some use Unix. Some use Linux. Some use proprietary
    >> software.
    >>
    >> Stating Windows is "the" default is misrepresenting the real world, and
    >> displaying your narrow experiences.

    ****ing idiot. 60 years, the first 35 with out any decent computer to
    use, but now I have used just about everything.
    >> --
    >> John
    >>

    > LOL. Talk about delusional.

    Which one of you is delusional?