hello :) - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on hello :) - Ubuntu ; hey all- just thought I'd introduce myself. I've been using Ubuntu since 6.06. I also have Windows 98 and XP, and used to have Vista. And yes, I've already plonked D. Eth...

  1. hello :)

    hey all-
    just thought I'd introduce myself. I've been using Ubuntu since 6.06. I
    also have Windows 98 and XP, and used to have Vista.

    And yes, I've already plonked D. Eth

  2. Re: hello :)

    James Dearing illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > hey all-
    > just thought I'd introduce myself. I've been using Ubuntu since 6.06. I
    > also have Windows 98 and XP, and used to have Vista.
    >
    > And yes, I've already plonked D. Eth

    Heh.

    Nice to make your acquaintance, James.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  3. Re: hello :)

    "James Dearing" wrote in message
    news:6IqdnZNp1OrkZkLVnZ2dnUVZ_hCdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > hey all-
    > just thought I'd introduce myself. I've been using Ubuntu since 6.06. I
    > also have Windows 98 and XP, and used to have Vista.
    >
    > And yes, I've already plonked D. Eth

    I said it !
    I am the proprieter.
    All recognise me !
    I am slightly embarrassed.

    --
    Ens causa sui
    Fit caedes omnibus locis

  4. Re: hello :)

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 21:50:46 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > James Dearing illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> hey all-
    >> just thought I'd introduce myself. I've been using Ubuntu since 6.06. I
    >> also have Windows 98 and XP, and used to have Vista.
    >>
    >> And yes, I've already plonked D. Eth

    > Heh.
    >
    > Nice to make your acquaintance, James.

    You didn't meet him, you retard !

    --
    Ens causa sui
    Fit caedes omnibus locis

  5. Re: hello :)

    James Dearing schreef:
    > hey all-
    > just thought I'd introduce myself. I've been using Ubuntu since 6.06. I
    > also have Windows 98 and XP, and used to have Vista.
    >
    > And yes, I've already plonked D. Eth

    Great introduction.
    It sounds like you can be a valuable contributor to the forum.

  6. Re: hello :)

    On 2008-09-28, James Dearing wrote:
    > hey all-
    > just thought I'd introduce myself. I've been using Ubuntu since 6.06. I
    > also have Windows 98 and XP, and used to have Vista.
    >
    > And yes, I've already plonked D. Eth

    And he keeps nymshifting to avoid the filters.

    I've been using Vista for about a year now and I'm not minding
    it too much. Did you have issues, just curious.

    --
    Do you twitter? http://twitter.com
    Do you want to be a cranky geek? http://www.crankygeeks.com/

  7. Re: hello :)

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 23:11:08 +0000, JohnTheGeek wrote:
    > On 2008-09-28, James Dearing wrote:
    >> hey all-
    >> just thought I'd introduce myself. I've been using Ubuntu since 6.06. I
    >> also have Windows 98 and XP, and used to have Vista.
    >>
    >> And yes, I've already plonked D. Eth

    > And he keeps nymshifting to avoid the filters.
    >
    > I've been using Vista for about a year now and I'm not minding it too
    > much. Did you have issues, just curious.

    No issues; I just decided that since I barely ever use Windows, and still
    have XP installed on one of my computers, I want to be able to use that
    hard disk space for other things. I'm thinking of installing ReactOS once
    it reaches beta.

  8. Re: hello :)

    JohnTheGeek wrote:

    > I've been using Vista for about a year now and I'm not minding
    > it too much. Did you have issues, just curious.

    The only two "Vista" installs I've seen were both corrupted within minutes
    of connection to the 'net, and had no /real/ security - UAC is just a
    specious annoyance.

    I also didn't like the nasty way that it /deliberately/ degrades video and
    audio output (in an effort to prevent analogue copying), the way that it
    persistently "phones home", the way it is incompatible with most older
    software and hardware drivers, the way that it requires stupid amounts of
    high-speed hardware to get anything like acceptable speed (and then it
    can't copy files from folder to folder without huge amounts of disk
    thrashing and waiting around for en eternity), and the way it crashes
    spectacularly at arbitrary intervals if you try to run it for more than a
    few hours without a reboot.

    It's an expensive, colossal disaster, and should signal the "beginning of
    the end" for MS.

    C.

  9. Re: hello :)

    Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > The only two "Vista" installs I've seen were both corrupted within minutes
    > of connection to the 'net, and had no /real/ security - UAC is just a
    > specious annoyance.
    >
    > I also didn't like the nasty way that it /deliberately/ degrades video and
    > audio output (in an effort to prevent analogue copying), the way that it
    > persistently "phones home", the way it is incompatible with most older
    > software and hardware drivers, the way that it requires stupid amounts of
    > high-speed hardware to get anything like acceptable speed (and then it
    > can't copy files from folder to folder without huge amounts of disk
    > thrashing and waiting around for en eternity), and the way it crashes
    > spectacularly at arbitrary intervals if you try to run it for more than a
    > few hours without a reboot.
    >
    > It's an expensive, colossal disaster, and should signal the "beginning of
    > the end" for MS.
    >
    > C.

    For what it's worth one of the television networks tech teams took a
    computer with windows and put some credit information on it, then
    connected to the Internet and it was attacked within 45 **SECONDS** and
    cracked within 5 minutes. The $500 they had on the card was gone within
    another 5 minutes with charges in 3 different countries.
    This was a fresh install with no anti-spy, virus, or anything else. They
    mentioned that it was pretty much impossible to even install protection
    software before the windows got cracked.
    Bill Baka

  10. Re: hello :)

    Bill Baka wrote:

    > For what it's worth one of the television networks tech teams took a
    > computer with windows and put some credit information on it, then
    > connected to the Internet and it was attacked within 45 **SECONDS** and
    > cracked within 5 minutes. The $500 they had on the card was gone within
    > another 5 minutes with charges in 3 different countries.
    > This was a fresh install with no anti-spy, virus, or anything else. They
    > mentioned that it was pretty much impossible to even install protection
    > software before the windows got cracked.

    Exactly right.

    A local school collected eight new computers from a well-known national
    computer dealership last week, and the Windoze installs were found to
    be "pre-infected" with various bits of malware because the dealer had taken
    it upon themselves to "update Windows"!

    C.

  11. Re: hello :)

    James Dearing wrote:
    > hey all-
    > just thought I'd introduce myself. I've been using Ubuntu since 6.06. I
    > also have Windows 98 and XP, and used to have Vista.

    So am I, but I didn't ever consider the beginning of envisaging to try
    Vista. I have got OS-X instead!
    Now i have got three good OS's on one single notebook and I can test how
    nearly 100% of my customers see my websites.

    Laszlo

    --
    Communism: Nationalize them, then let it crash!
    Capitalism: Let it crash, then nationalize them!

  12. Re: hello :)

    Bill Baka wrote:

    > For what it's worth...

    Nothing you mean?

    --
    Communism: Nationalize them, then let it crash!
    Capitalism: Let it crash, then nationalize them!

  13. Re: hello :)

    Laszlo Lebrun wrote:
    > Bill Baka wrote:
    >
    >> For what it's worth...

    > Nothing you mean?

    Try a fresh install of XP or Vista then go for a cup of coffee after you
    get it on the 'net. The network that did this may have had a more direct
    connection than Comcast, so you can try to say that the network test was
    meaningless if you want, but it did happen.
    Bye.
    Bill Baka

  14. Re: hello :)

    "Bill Baka" wrote in message
    > Laszlo Lebrun wrote:
    >> Bill Baka wrote:
    >>
    >>> For what it's worth...

    >> Nothing you mean?
    >>

    > Try a fresh install of XP or Vista then go for a cup of coffee after you
    > get it on the 'net. The network that did this may have had a more direct
    > connection than Comcast, so you can try to say that the network test was
    > meaningless if you want, but it did happen.
    > Bye.
    > Bill Baka

    Vista will probably be fine.
    XP will be like any other seven year old OS, full of holes.
    Why didn't you suggest XPsp3, not holy enough for you?

+ Reply to Thread