firmware update - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on firmware update - Ubuntu ; Just a quick question. I have a firmware update in the form of a windows executable. Is it reasonable to expect that this will "do the right thing" if I run it from a Windows XP guest under virtualbox? Cheers. ...

  1. firmware update

    Just a quick question. I have a firmware update in the form of a
    windows executable. Is it reasonable to expect that this will "do the
    right thing" if I run it from a Windows XP guest under virtualbox? Cheers.

    Duncan

  2. Re: firmware update

    duncan smith wrote:

    > Just a quick question. I have a firmware update in the form of a
    > windows executable. Is it reasonable to expect that this will "do
    > the right thing" if I run it from a Windows XP guest under
    > virtualbox? Cheers.

    No. If it is a clean .exe, it may work. Or it may destroy
    everything and plant various evils. This is one of the horrors of
    the Windoze experience.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  3. Re: firmware update

    duncan smith wrote:
    > I have a firmware update in the form of a windows executable. Is it
    > reasonable to expect that this will "do the right thing" if I run it
    > from a Windows XP guest under virtualbox?

    I don't see how a firmware update can apply to a virtualised environment.

    (If it's for something like a USB device and you map that device into
    your environment it might work, I suppose.)

    Chris

  4. Re: firmware update

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 04:07:16 +0100, duncan smith wrote:
    >Just a quick question. I have a firmware update in the form of a
    >windows executable. Is it reasonable to expect that this will "do the
    >right thing" if I run it from a Windows XP guest under virtualbox? Cheers.

    >Duncan

    I usually try to find a dos version. Freedos works just fine with them.

    If it relies on a gui and windows, about all you can do is temporarily connect a
    small hard drive, install a copy of windows, and then update your firmware.

  5. Re: firmware update

    "CBFalconer" wrote in message
    > duncan smith wrote:
    >>
    >> Just a quick question. I have a firmware update in the form of a
    >> windows executable. Is it reasonable to expect that this will "do
    >> the right thing" if I run it from a Windows XP guest under
    >> virtualbox? Cheers.

    > No. If it is a clean .exe, it may work. Or it may destroy
    > everything and plant various evils. This is one of the horrors of
    > the Windoze experience.
    >
    > --
    > [mail]: Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net)
    > [page]:
    > Try the download section.

    LOL.
    The horrible it runs 90% of the worlds PC's experience !
    Seems linux is quite an emulation machine.
    Keep trying.
    Appil beats linux.
    That's says ALOT !

    --
    Ens causa sui
    Fit caedes omnibus locis

  6. Re: firmware update

    > LOL.
    > The horrible it runs 90% of the worlds PC's experience ! Seems linux is
    > quite an emulation machine. Keep trying.
    > Appil beats linux.
    > That's says ALOT !

    Congratulations! I'm new to this group and you are my FIRST kill-file
    participant. Bye!

  7. Re: firmware update

    "Ryan B" wrote in message
    news:MUQDk.41981$vX2.30651@bignews6.bellsouth.net. ..
    >> LOL.
    >> The horrible it runs 90% of the worlds PC's experience ! Seems linux is
    >> quite an emulation machine. Keep trying.
    >> Appil beats linux.
    >> That's says ALOT !

    > Congratulations! I'm new to this group and you are my FIRST kill-file
    > participant. Bye!

    You plonked the only smart guy.
    you run ubuntu.
    Plonk is your lifestyle !

    --
    Ens causa sui
    Fit caedes omnibus locis

  8. Re: firmware update

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 04:07:16 +0100, duncan smith wrote:

    > Just a quick question. I have a firmware update in the form of a
    > windows executable. Is it reasonable to expect that this will "do the
    > right thing" if I run it from a Windows XP guest under virtualbox? Cheers.
    >
    > Duncan

    The last thing you want to do is run any kind of firmware update in a
    multitasking environment because anything can happen.

    See if they have a DOS version, in fact what you have may actually be a DOS
    version anyhow.
    Boot to DOS and do it like that if you can.
    If it's Windows only, use native Windows only.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  9. Re: firmware update

    "duncan smith" wrote in message
    > Just a quick question. I have a firmware update in the form of a
    > windows executable. Is it reasonable to expect that this will "do the
    > right thing" if I run it from a Windows XP guest under virtualbox?
    > Cheers.
    >
    > Duncan

    That's why you dual boot.
    Vitual my rear end.
    Run a virtual OS on a virtual PC (your friends)
    Not on your own !
    You must be a linux user !

    --
    Ens causa sui
    Fit caedes omnibus locis

  10. Re: firmware update

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 04:07:16 +0100, duncan smith wrote:
    >
    >> Just a quick question. I have a firmware update in the form of a
    >> windows executable. Is it reasonable to expect that this will "do the
    >> right thing" if I run it from a Windows XP guest under virtualbox? Cheers.
    >>
    >> Duncan

    > The last thing you want to do is run any kind of firmware update in a
    > multitasking environment because anything can happen.
    >
    > See if they have a DOS version, in fact what you have may actually be a DOS
    > version anyhow.
    > Boot to DOS and do it like that if you can.
    > If it's Windows only, use native Windows only.

    Thanks all. It looks like a FreeDos liveCD is the way to go. Cheers.

    Duncan

+ Reply to Thread