Another grub question - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Another grub question - Ubuntu ; back again with just about the same question. Previously, it was suggested that I manually edit my menu.lst file to include latest Ubuntu kernel. It was also stated that, barring the edit, I should go into mepis to fix grub. ...

  1. Another grub question

    back again with just about the same question.
    Previously, it was suggested that I manually edit my menu.lst file to
    include latest Ubuntu kernel.
    It was also stated that, barring the edit, I should go into mepis to fix
    grub.

    situation:
    -installed ubuntu hardy dual boot with W2000
    -installed mepis to try it. mepis installed its own grub, which is ok,
    ubuntu and windoze on menu.
    -have felt most comfortable with ubuntu up to now so wish to make it the
    main OS and got it to boot default via the mepis grub.
    -running ubuntu, I have several upgrades to the kernel since this
    started but mepis' menu only lists the original kernel, not any upgrades.

    question: any /simple/ way to make mepis aware of new ubuntu
    kernels/upgrades? (a cursory look at mepis help/grub manual doesn't
    show anything enlightening) /or/ a simple way to get ubuntu to recognize
    mepis and w2000?
    manually editing the mepis menu.lst with each upgrade seems a pain -
    cutting and pasting from ubuntu's menu.lst file seems problematic - like
    a weird placing of the vga id #:

    ubuntu menu.lst sample:
    */
    title Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-21-generic
    root (hd1,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-21-generic
    root=UUID=56cfcfdc-779d-4fd6-a395-8896a126bcc4 ro quiet vga=795 splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-21-generic
    quiet
    /*
    vga=795 smack in the middle of quiet splash doesn't match the way mepis
    does it.

    mepis:
    */
    title MEPIS at sda4, kernel 2.6.22-1-mepis-smp
    root (hd0,3)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-1-mepis-smp root=/dev/sda4 nomce quiet
    splash vga=791 resume=/dev/sda2
    boot

    title Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-17-generic
    root (hd1,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-17-generic
    root=UUID=56cfcfdc-779d-4fd6-a395-8896a126bcc4 ro quiet splash <--no vga
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-17-generic
    /*

    put another way, would installing grub via ubuntu's latest kernel to hd0
    mbr result in a menu.lst with mepis, ubuntu, and W2000?
    or is this what chainloading is for (just started looking at that today)?

    P4, 3 - 10 gig partitions over 2 hds, 526mg ram

    Thanks for continuing help to an old newb...

    question 2:

  2. Re: Another grub question

    On 2008-09-27, jrg hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > back again with just about the same question.
    > Previously, it was suggested that I manually edit my menu.lst file to
    > include latest Ubuntu kernel.
    > It was also stated that, barring the edit, I should go into mepis to fix
    > grub.
    >
    > situation:
    > -installed ubuntu hardy dual boot with W2000
    > -installed mepis to try it. mepis installed its own grub, which is ok,
    > ubuntu and windoze on menu.
    > -have felt most comfortable with ubuntu up to now so wish to make it the
    > main OS and got it to boot default via the mepis grub.
    > -running ubuntu, I have several upgrades to the kernel since this
    > started but mepis' menu only lists the original kernel, not any upgrades.
    >
    > question: any /simple/ way to make mepis aware of new ubuntu
    > kernels/upgrades? (a cursory look at mepis help/grub manual doesn't
    > show anything enlightening) /or/ a simple way to get ubuntu to recognize
    > mepis and w2000?
    > manually editing the mepis menu.lst with each upgrade seems a pain -
    > cutting and pasting from ubuntu's menu.lst file seems problematic - like
    > a weird placing of the vga id #:

    If you decide to use the Ubuntu as your main-installation
    why not use its grub instead? You can copy once the mepis
    stanza into the menu.-lst and then let Ubuntu update it each
    time. It should keep the entry for mepis intact.

    start Ubuntu and then in a terminal copy/backup the files.

    I use "VIM" as my editor and I can open two files at the
    same time and and then copy and paste between them, of
    course you can use any other editor which allows the same.

    > ubuntu menu.lst sample:
    > */
    > title Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-21-generic
    > root (hd1,0)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-21-generic
    > root=UUID=56cfcfdc-779d-4fd6-a395-8896a126bcc4 ro quiet vga=795 splash
    > initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-21-generic
    > quiet
    > /*
    > vga=795 smack in the middle of quiet splash doesn't match the way mepis
    > does it.
    >
    > mepis:
    > */
    > title MEPIS at sda4, kernel 2.6.22-1-mepis-smp
    > root (hd0,3)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-1-mepis-smp root=/dev/sda4 nomce quiet
    > splash vga=791 resume=/dev/sda2
    > boot
    >
    > title Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-17-generic
    > root (hd1,0)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-17-generic
    > root=UUID=56cfcfdc-779d-4fd6-a395-8896a126bcc4 ro quiet splash <--no vga
    > initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-17-generic
    > /*

    "vga=XYZ" is simply the screen resolution for the Monitor
    when you decide to use the console. You can disregard it,
    unless of course you work a lot in the console...

    > put another way, would installing grub via ubuntu's latest kernel to hd0
    > mbr result in a menu.lst with mepis, ubuntu, and W2000?
    > or is this what chainloading is for (just started looking at that today)?

    Simply put, back-up the files and then run grub install on
    the Ubuntu box. Don't know if update-grub will find the
    other OS but I think it should do so.

    What chain-loader does you can read up on the grub page :-)
    But I think it's most often used to boot into windows. I
    haven't had to use it so I'm, not 100% certain if one needs
    it to boot another *UNIX...

    > P4, 3 - 10 gig partitions over 2 hds, 526mg ram
    >
    > Thanks for continuing help to an old newb...

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    "When science discovers the center of the universe, a lot of
    people will be disappointed to find they are not it."
    >> Bernard Baily <<

  3. Re: Another grub question

    On 09/28/2008 05:55 AM Dragomir Kollaric scribbled:

    > On 2008-09-27, jrg hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >> back again with just about the same question.
    >> Previously, it was suggested that I manually edit my menu.lst file to
    >> include latest Ubuntu kernel.
    >> It was also stated that, barring the edit, I should go into mepis to fix
    >> grub.
    >>
    >> situation:
    >> -installed ubuntu hardy dual boot with W2000
    >> -installed mepis to try it. mepis installed its own grub, which is ok,
    >> ubuntu and windoze on menu.
    >> -have felt most comfortable with ubuntu up to now so wish to make it the
    >> main OS and got it to boot default via the mepis grub.
    >> -running ubuntu, I have several upgrades to the kernel since this
    >> started but mepis' menu only lists the original kernel, not any upgrades.
    >>
    >> question: any /simple/ way to make mepis aware of new ubuntu
    >> kernels/upgrades? (a cursory look at mepis help/grub manual doesn't
    >> show anything enlightening) /or/ a simple way to get ubuntu to recognize
    >> mepis and w2000?
    >> manually editing the mepis menu.lst with each upgrade seems a pain -
    >> cutting and pasting from ubuntu's menu.lst file seems problematic - like
    >> a weird placing of the vga id #:

    I failed to mention that I copied the latest ubuntu stanza from ubuntu's
    menu.lst (not currently in use) and pasted it into mepis' menu.lst.
    It failed (I forgtet the messages I got, it was over 3 weeks ago) -
    dunno why but thought the placement of that vga id might have something
    to do with it.

    > If you decide to use the Ubuntu as your main-installation
    > why not use its grub instead? You can copy once the mepis
    > stanza into the menu.-lst and then let Ubuntu update it each
    > time. It should keep the entry for mepis intact.
    >
    > start Ubuntu and then in a terminal copy/backup the files.
    >
    > I use "VIM" as my editor and I can open two files at the
    > same time and and then copy and paste between them, of
    > course you can use any other editor which allows the same.

    text editors not an issue. I'd like to upgrade mepis now and again so
    was wondering about how/if ubuntu grub is able to keep track of mepis
    kernels.

    >> ubuntu menu.lst sample:
    >> */
    >> title Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-21-generic
    >> root (hd1,0)
    >> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-21-generic
    >> root=UUID=56cfcfdc-779d-4fd6-a395-8896a126bcc4 ro quiet vga=795 splash
    >> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-21-generic
    >> quiet
    >> /*
    >> vga=795 smack in the middle of quiet splash doesn't match the way mepis
    >> does it.
    >>
    >> mepis:
    >> */
    >> title MEPIS at sda4, kernel 2.6.22-1-mepis-smp
    >> root (hd0,3)
    >> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-1-mepis-smp root=/dev/sda4 nomce quiet
    >> splash vga=791 resume=/dev/sda2
    >> boot
    >>
    >> title Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-17-generic
    >> root (hd1,0)
    >> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-17-generic
    >> root=UUID=56cfcfdc-779d-4fd6-a395-8896a126bcc4 ro quiet splash <--no vga
    >> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-17-generic
    >> /*

    > "vga=XYZ" is simply the screen resolution for the Monitor
    > when you decide to use the console. You can disregard it,
    > unless of course you work a lot in the console...

    I was curious about /where/ the id was within the line, not what it was...

    >> put another way, would installing grub via ubuntu's latest kernel to hd0
    >> mbr result in a menu.lst with mepis, ubuntu, and W2000?
    >> or is this what chainloading is for (just started looking at that today)?

    > Simply put, back-up the files and then run grub install on
    > the Ubuntu box. Don't know if update-grub will find the
    > other OS but I think it should do so.
    >
    > What chain-loader does you can read up on the grub page :-)
    > But I think it's most often used to boot into windows. I
    > haven't had to use it so I'm, not 100% certain if one needs
    > it to boot another *UNIX...

    Thanks, Drago (may I call you Drago?)

  4. Re: Another grub question

    On 2008-09-28, jrg hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > On 09/28/2008 05:55 AM Dragomir Kollaric scribbled:
    >

    > I failed to mention that I copied the latest ubuntu stanza from ubuntu's
    > menu.lst (not currently in use) and pasted it into mepis' menu.lst.
    > It failed (I forgtet the messages I got, it was over 3 weeks ago) -
    > dunno why but thought the placement of that vga id might have something
    > to do with it.

    I'm not sure if this line really has anything to do with. vga=xyz
    will set the display. Here on my LCD Monitor I had troubles with it
    and I removed this part. On the other hand Live-CD versions don't
    make the same fuss. Just tried "puppy" last night and it was OK.

    > text editors not an issue. I'd like to upgrade mepis now and again so
    > was wondering about how/if ubuntu grub is able to keep track of mepis
    > kernels.

    I'm not sure if "update-grub" will do so. And then I have seen here
    that it would replace the name of the *UNIX* distribution to
    *Ubuntu* and you'd have to edit the file again.

    >> "vga=XYZ" is simply the screen resolution for the Monitor
    >> when you decide to use the console. You can disregard it,
    >> unless of course you work a lot in the console...

    > I was curious about /where/ the id was within the line, not what it was...

    OK I misunderstood... I played with the file and I have not read
    that when one passes more then one boot-option that it would matter
    to "grub".

    >>> put another way, would installing grub via ubuntu's latest kernel to hd0
    >>> mbr result in a menu.lst with mepis, ubuntu, and W2000?
    >>> or is this what chainloading is for (just started looking at that today)?

    >> Simply put, back-up the files and then run grub install on
    >> the Ubuntu box. Don't know if update-grub will find the
    >> other OS but I think it should do so.
    >>
    >> What chain-loader does you can read up on the grub page :-)
    >> But I think it's most often used to boot into windows. I
    >> haven't had to use it so I'm, not 100% certain if one needs
    >> it to boot another *UNIX...

    > Thanks, Drago (may I call you Drago?)

    I'd prefer my full name, if you don't mind :-)

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    "When science discovers the center of the universe, a lot of
    people will be disappointed to find they are not it."
    >> Bernard Baily <<

  5. Re: Another grub question

    On 09/30/2008 11:06 AM Dragomir Kollaric scribbled:

    > On 2008-09-28, jrg hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >

    >> On 09/28/2008 05:55 AM Dragomir Kollaric scribbled:
    >>

    >> I failed to mention that I copied the latest ubuntu stanza from ubuntu's
    >> menu.lst (not currently in use) and pasted it into mepis' menu.lst.
    >> It failed (I forgtet the messages I got, it was over 3 weeks ago) -
    >> dunno why but thought the placement of that vga id might have something
    >> to do with it.

    > I'm not sure if this line really has anything to do with. vga=xyz
    > will set the display. Here on my LCD Monitor I had troubles with it
    > and I removed this part. On the other hand Live-CD versions don't
    > make the same fuss. Just tried "puppy" last night and it was OK.
    >

    >> text editors not an issue. I'd like to upgrade mepis now and again so
    >> was wondering about how/if ubuntu grub is able to keep track of mepis
    >> kernels.

    > I'm not sure if "update-grub" will do so. And then I have seen here
    > that it would replace the name of the *UNIX* distribution to
    > *Ubuntu* and you'd have to edit the file again.
    >
    >>> "vga=XYZ" is simply the screen resolution for the Monitor
    >>> when you decide to use the console. You can disregard it,
    >>> unless of course you work a lot in the console...

    >> I was curious about /where/ the id was within the line, not what it was...

    > OK I misunderstood... I played with the file and I have not read
    > that when one passes more then one boot-option that it would matter
    > to "grub".

    yabbut, the vga=xyz is placed between the 'quiet' and 'splash',
    seemingly splitting an instruction, /quiet splash/, which doesn't make
    sense, unless ubuntu reads quiet and takes it as the whole instruction,
    which, now that I think about it, may be normal linux behavior, using
    just the first word of some commands as a short cut...

    >>> Simply put, back-up the files and then run grub install on
    >>> the Ubuntu box. Don't know if update-grub will find the
    >>> other OS but I think it should do so.
    >>>
    >>> What chain-loader does you can read up on the grub page :-)
    >>> But I think it's most often used to boot into windows. I
    >>> haven't had to use it so I'm, not 100% certain if one needs
    >>> it to boot another *UNIX...

    >> Thanks, Drago (may I call you Drago?)

    > I'd prefer my full name, if you don't mind :-)
    >

    > Dragomir Kollaric

    Don't mind at all, Dragomir, Drago just faster to type.
    grub-install went fine but it ignored mepis, whose menu.lst it replaced.
    I pasted mepis into the menu.lst with only minor annoyance easily
    corrected.

    thanks

+ Reply to Thread