Just for the fun of it... - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Just for the fun of it... - Ubuntu ; I swapped out the hard drive in my son's old computer that was collecting dust. This thing is at least 8 years old, has a diamond stealth video card and other obsolete stuff. Loaded 8.04.1 with no problem, even got ...

  1. Just for the fun of it...

    I swapped out the hard drive in my son's old computer that was collecting
    dust. This thing is at least 8 years old, has a diamond stealth video
    card and other obsolete stuff. Loaded 8.04.1 with no problem, even got
    all the updates installed.
    Sweet!

  2. Re: Just for the fun of it...

    Nico wrote:

    > I swapped out the hard drive in my son's old computer that was collecting
    > dust. This thing is at least 8 years old, has a diamond stealth video
    > card and other obsolete stuff. Loaded 8.04.1 with no problem, even got
    > all the updates installed.
    > Sweet!

    Why send good hardware to landfill, when we can save resources and keep good
    hardware working?

    Makes common sense.

    Planned obsolescence is a marketing strategy that has had its day, and done
    too much harm to our planet already.

  3. Re: Just for the fun of it...

    Robin T Cox wrote:
    > Planned obsolescence is a marketing strategy that has had its day, and done
    > too much harm to our planet already.

    Well said.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  4. Re: Just for the fun of it...

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 19:37:42 GMT, johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >Robin T Cox wrote:
    >> Planned obsolescence is a marketing strategy that has had its day, and done
    >> too much harm to our planet already.

    >Well said.

    But where's the joy of having a 10ghz machine with 3 gig of ram so slow that
    you can't even get desktop folders to open in under 10 seconds?

    Vista: that special feeling of pride that comes from having spent too
    much in return for a mountain of crap.

  5. Re: Just for the fun of it...

    AZ Nomad wrote in

    > But where's the joy of having a 10ghz machine with 3 gig of ram so
    > slow that you can't even get desktop folders to open in under 10
    > seconds?
    >
    > Vista: that special feeling of pride that comes from having spent too
    > much in return for a mountain of crap.

    That sure don't happen here even with my 1.7GHz, 3G ram and Vista with SP1.

  6. Re: Just for the fun of it...

    propman wrote in
    news:Xns9B268CB1FD5EApropmhotmailcom@85.214.90.236 :

    > AZ Nomad wrote in
    >

    >> But where's the joy of having a 10ghz machine with 3 gig of ram so
    >> slow that you can't even get desktop folders to open in under 10
    >> seconds?
    >>
    >> Vista: that special feeling of pride that comes from having spent
    >> too much in return for a mountain of crap.
    >>

    > That sure don't happen here even with my 1.7GHz, 3G ram and Vista with
    > SP1.

    Well, I just fixed a Vista desktop for a relative. It was a low-budget
    machine bought for her at Walmart by her mother. P4, 3.2 GHz, 512 Megs
    RAM, and a 160G SATA-II HD that came with Vista Basic.

    The main problem with this setup is the very low RAM. The actual problem
    was initially caused by a failing HD, whcih completely failed after a few
    more restarts. It was a Western Digital HD. I dropped WD years ago. They
    used to be the best HD mfg, but IMO, they dropped the ball somewhere
    along the line. Now, I've been buying Seagate drive's, which usually come
    with a 5-year waranty vs. the WD 1 year.

    Anyway, I upped the RAM to 2 gigs for her and again restored Vista from
    the factory disc. It ran fairly smooth and seemed pretty quick...mind you
    no Aero interface. When I dropped it off and set it back up for her, she
    was amazed at how much faster it ran than before....which was severly
    limited by the 512M RAM it came with.

    For the time I had it, there weren't any basic Windows error and no
    BSOD's, but the new interface style really sucks.....badly. I could find
    nothing.

    I had to set the start menu back to classic mode just so I could launch
    programs. Same thing with the control panel. I found the sidebar thing
    extremely intrusive, and had to click 'Yes, I wanted to do this' like a
    hundred times. I even had to elevate privileges to run the cmd prompt as
    administrator so I could issue an ipconfig /renew. If that isn't stupid,
    I don't know what is. You can run ipconfig....but not renew ?

    There was one or two dialogs, that when I couldn't figure out where I
    needed to go to do what I wanted to do, I clicked the 'Advanced' button
    and out pops the exact screen from XP, which was familiar obviously, and
    allowed me to do what I needed, immediately.

    I just don't get the entire Vista thing. It's a side-step, at best, from
    XP.

    I'm waitng for the Vista WOW!.......For me anyway,the Compiz WOW! is here
    now...and I've seen it.

  7. Re: Just for the fun of it...

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 00:44:12 +0000, DanS wrote:

    > propman wrote in
    > news:Xns9B268CB1FD5EApropmhotmailcom@85.214.90.236 :
    >
    >> AZ Nomad wrote in
    >>

    >>> But where's the joy of having a 10ghz machine with 3 gig of ram so
    >>> slow that you can't even get desktop folders to open in under 10
    >>> seconds?
    >>>
    >>> Vista: that special feeling of pride that comes from having spent too
    >>> much in return for a mountain of crap.
    >>>

    >> That sure don't happen here even with my 1.7GHz, 3G ram and Vista with
    >> SP1.

    > Well, I just fixed a Vista desktop for a relative. It was a low-budget
    > machine bought for her at Walmart by her mother. P4, 3.2 GHz, 512 Megs
    > RAM, and a 160G SATA-II HD that came with Vista Basic.
    >
    > The main problem with this setup is the very low RAM. The actual problem
    > was initially caused by a failing HD, whcih completely failed after a
    > few more restarts. It was a Western Digital HD. I dropped WD years ago.
    > They used to be the best HD mfg, but IMO, they dropped the ball
    > somewhere along the line. Now, I've been buying Seagate drive's, which
    > usually come with a 5-year waranty vs. the WD 1 year.
    >
    > Anyway, I upped the RAM to 2 gigs for her and again restored Vista from
    > the factory disc. It ran fairly smooth and seemed pretty quick...mind
    > you no Aero interface. When I dropped it off and set it back up for her,
    > she was amazed at how much faster it ran than before....which was
    > severly limited by the 512M RAM it came with.
    >
    > For the time I had it, there weren't any basic Windows error and no
    > BSOD's, but the new interface style really sucks.....badly. I could find
    > nothing.
    >
    > I had to set the start menu back to classic mode just so I could launch
    > programs. Same thing with the control panel. I found the sidebar thing
    > extremely intrusive, and had to click 'Yes, I wanted to do this' like a
    > hundred times. I even had to elevate privileges to run the cmd prompt as
    > administrator so I could issue an ipconfig /renew. If that isn't stupid,
    > I don't know what is. You can run ipconfig....but not renew ?
    >
    > There was one or two dialogs, that when I couldn't figure out where I
    > needed to go to do what I wanted to do, I clicked the 'Advanced' button
    > and out pops the exact screen from XP, which was familiar obviously, and
    > allowed me to do what I needed, immediately.
    >
    > I just don't get the entire Vista thing. It's a side-step, at best, from
    > XP.
    >
    > I'm waitng for the Vista WOW!.......For me anyway,the Compiz WOW! is
    > here now...and I've seen it.

    Vista has a cleaner, crisp, overall appearance that integrates well.
    Compiz is a series of tricks that don't integrate into the OS.

    --
    Ens causa sui
    Fit caedes omnibus locis

  8. Re: Just for the fun of it...

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 03:39:01 +0200 (CEST), D.Eth wrote:
    >Vista has a cleaner, crisp, overall appearance that integrates well.
    >Compiz is a series of tricks that don't integrate into the OS.

    Vista integrates so well that it is nearly impossible to do any actual
    work with it at any time.

    I really love how two HP systems I've seen both got in the habbit of leaving
    30,000 to 50,000 temp files every night which vista of course wanted to index.
    Combine that with a file system that can't multitask and which can barely remove
    5 files a second. What could be more joyous than needing overnight and most of
    the next day just to clean a million and half files out of the temp directory.

    With vista, you don't have to be bored with trying to do anything useful. You
    can have the joy of spending every waking moment just doing system maintenance.

  9. Re: Just for the fun of it...

    "D.Eth" wrote in news:gbmn7k$61q$1@aioe.org:

    >> I'm waitng for the Vista WOW!.......For me anyway,the Compiz WOW! is
    >> here now...and I've seen it.

    > Vista has a cleaner, crisp, overall appearance that integrates well.

    Fine.

    > Compiz is a series of tricks that don't integrate into the OS.

    They seem to work and look great on my system.

  10. Re: Just for the fun of it...

    AZ Nomad wrote in

    > I really love how two HP systems I've seen both got in the habbit of
    > leaving 30,000 to 50,000 temp files every night which vista of course
    > wanted to index. Combine that with a file system that can't multitask
    > and which can barely remove 5 files a second. What could be more
    > joyous than needing overnight and most of the next day just to clean a
    > million and half files out of the temp directory.
    >
    > With vista, you don't have to be bored with trying to do anything
    > useful. You can have the joy of spending every waking moment just
    > doing system maintenance.

    Absolute and utter rubbish.... * plonk *

+ Reply to Thread