System freezing during game play - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on System freezing during game play - Ubuntu ; For the first time ever my system is experiencing total lockup during Open Arena. I haven't changed any hardware recently. The whole thing locks up. I ssh into the machine from elsewhere on the network, run top, and Xorg is ...

  1. System freezing during game play

    For the first time ever my system is experiencing total lockup during Open
    Arena. I haven't changed any hardware recently.

    The whole thing locks up. I ssh into the machine from elsewhere on the
    network, run top, and Xorg is taking up about 95% of cpu. I
    have to reboot from the shell at that point.

    Where should I start looking for answers?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: System freezing during game play

    "Steve Harder-Kucera"
    wrote in
    message news:48dd5a04$0$33572$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net...
    > For the first time ever my system is experiencing total lockup during Open
    > Arena. I haven't changed any hardware recently.
    >
    > The whole thing locks up. I ssh into the machine from elsewhere on the
    > network, run top, and Xorg is taking up about 95% of cpu. I
    > have to reboot from the shell at that point.
    >
    > Where should I start looking for answers?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Use a Windows Based computer.
    If you wanna play connect the dots, a high end cpu is required for linux.
    linux is a friggen joke, don't you get it yet ?

    --
    Ens causa sui
    Fit caedes omnibus locis

  3. Re: System freezing during game play

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 17:56:58 -0400, D. Eth wrote:

    > Use a Windows Based computer.
    > If you wanna play connect the dots, a high end cpu is required for linux.
    > linux is a friggen joke, don't you get it yet ?

    Dismissed.

    PS. I've been playing Open Arena on this system for over a year without
    any trouble at all. During the same year have not had to:

    1: Constantly reboot
    2: Completely reinstall my entire OS
    3: and all my apps
    4: Worry about viruses
    5: Twiddle my thumbs while waiting for an app to respond
    6: Stared in awe as 50% or more of resources are consumed by idling

    What have I been doing with Linux?

    1: Running virtually every aspect of my business, usually 8-14 hours a day
    on the computer

    You want to know the joke. Microsoft is now having to advertise to
    maintain market share. Oh, but they don't even mention their product. They
    say "I'm a PC".

    No you're not. You're Windows. It's you OS that sucks, not PC architecture.

    I do use a Windows based computer, for iTunes and Macromedia Flash. And it
    sucks.

  4. Re: System freezing during game play

    Steve Harder-Kucera
    wrote
    in news:48dd5a04$0$33572$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net:

    > For the first time ever my system is experiencing total lockup during
    > Open Arena. I haven't changed any hardware recently.
    >
    > The whole thing locks up. I ssh into the machine from elsewhere on the
    > network, run top, and Xorg is taking up about 95% of cpu. I
    > have to reboot from the shell at that point.
    >
    > Where should I start looking for answers?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Might be able to pick up some info at:

    http://openarena.ws/board/

  5. Re: System freezing during game play

    Steve Harder-Kucera wrote:

    > No you're not. You're Windows. It's you OS that sucks, not PC
    > architecture.

    Actually, PC architecture is quite poor!

    However, you're entirely right about Windows. It's always been broken, but
    now it's bloated and broken. It has /no/ concept of security (apart from
    refusing to allow the code base to be scrutinised), and has so many
    failings that it's unusable for anything serious.

    C.

  6. Re: System freezing during game play

    "Christopher Hunter" wrote in message
    > Steve Harder-Kucera wrote:
    >
    >> No you're not. You're Windows. It's you OS that sucks, not PC
    >> architecture.

    > Actually, PC architecture is quite poor!
    >
    > However, you're entirely right about Windows. It's always been broken,
    > but
    > now it's bloated and broken. It has /no/ concept of security (apart from
    > refusing to allow the code base to be scrutinised), and has so many
    > failings that it's unusable for anything serious.
    >
    > C.

    Except a clientel base.
    And users.
    And people that like it.
    And more users.
    That buy it.
    Then buy it again.
    Then try ubuntu.
    Then buy 2 Vista DVD's , out of shock.
    Linux is the joke...has been the joke, and continues to be, well, a joke.

    Not funny, is it ?

    To me ...LOL...yessa.

    --
    Ens causa sui
    Fit caedes omnibus locis

  7. Re: System freezing during game play

    propman wrote:
    > Steve Harder-Kucera wrote:
    >
    >> For the first time ever my system is experiencing total lockup
    >> during Open Arena. I haven't changed any hardware recently.
    >>
    >> The whole thing locks up. I ssh into the machine from elsewhere
    >> on the network, run top, and Xorg is taking up about 95% of cpu.
    >> I have to reboot from the shell at that point.
    >>
    >> Where should I start looking for answers?

    > Might be able to pick up some info at:
    >
    > http://openarena.ws/board/

    I suggest you start by PLONKING D.Eth, to avoid being distracted by
    his childish inanities. That will still leave garbage from people
    who respond to it.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  8. Re: System freezing during game play

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 22:06:37 +0000, Steve Harder-Kucera wrote:

    you're responding to a 14 year old...!

  9. Re: System freezing during game play

    "mister b" wrote in message
    news:tKednSmqUJO0C0DVnZ2dnUVZ_uCdnZ2d@supernews.co m...
    > On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 22:06:37 +0000, Steve Harder-Kucera wrote:
    >

    > you're responding to a 14 year old...!

    So ?
    That makes me 2 years older than you.

    Protocol ?
    Predicates ?
    Predetermination ?

    Poop !

    --
    Ens causa sui
    Fit caedes omnibus locis

  10. Re: System freezing during game play

    mister b wrote:

    > On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 22:06:37 +0000, Steve Harder-Kucera wrote:
    >

    > you're responding to a 14 year old...!

    You give it too much credit. 11 years old is more likely!

  11. Re: System freezing during game play

    CBFalconer wrote in

    > propman wrote:
    >> Steve Harder-Kucera wrote:
    >>
    >>> For the first time ever my system is experiencing total lockup
    >>> during Open Arena. I haven't changed any hardware recently.
    >>>
    >>> The whole thing locks up. I ssh into the machine from elsewhere
    >>> on the network, run top, and Xorg is taking up about 95% of cpu.
    >>> I have to reboot from the shell at that point.
    >>>
    >>> Where should I start looking for answers?

    >> Might be able to pick up some info at:
    >>
    >> http://openarena.ws/board/

    > I suggest you start by PLONKING D.Eth, to avoid being distracted by
    > his childish inanities. That will still leave garbage from people
    > who respond to it.

    Eh??????

  12. Re: System freezing during game play

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 00:49:45 +0100, Christopher Hunter
    wrote:

    >Steve Harder-Kucera wrote:
    >
    >> No you're not. You're Windows. It's you OS that sucks, not PC
    >> architecture.

    >Actually, PC architecture is quite poor!
    >
    >However, you're entirely right about Windows. It's always been broken, but
    >now it's bloated and broken. It has /no/ concept of security (apart from
    >refusing to allow the code base to be scrutinised), and has so many
    >failings that it's unusable for anything serious.
    >
    >C.

    Would you consider navigating my boat over a 2,000 mile voyage or my
    mate's over a 6,000 miler trip serious ? Windows did it and Linux
    couldn't....

    Bruce-in-Bangkok

  13. Re: System freezing during game play

    Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

    > Would you consider navigating my boat over a 2,000 mile voyage or my
    > mate's over a 6,000 mile trip serious? Windows did it and Linux
    > couldn't....

    I suppose that's serious enough, but I wouldn't trust Windows to get it
    right. However, I saw a Linux-based navigation system on two Polish ships
    recently. It's GPS-based, and costs significantly less than the American
    (near) equivalent.

    The last serious intercontinental navigation I did (many years ago) used
    LORAN and Decca Navigator!

    C.

  14. Re: System freezing during game play

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 09:52:48 +0100, Christopher Hunter
    wrote:

    >Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
    >
    >> Would you consider navigating my boat over a 2,000 mile voyage or my
    >> mate's over a 6,000 mile trip serious? Windows did it and Linux
    >> couldn't....

    >I suppose that's serious enough, but I wouldn't trust Windows to get it
    >right. However, I saw a Linux-based navigation system on two Polish ships
    >recently. It's GPS-based, and costs significantly less than the American
    >(near) equivalent.
    >
    >The last serious intercontinental navigation I did (many years ago) used
    >LORAN and Decca Navigator!

    Old! They don't do it that way any more :-) It is all GPS and chart
    plotters now. I had thought that Loran had been phased out but I read
    something the other day that the U.S. had announced they are
    continuing support for the system. Most of the small boats now use GPS
    and a chart plotter My mention, above, referred to a CMAP system
    installed on a laptop which takes input from a GPS and plots it on a
    digital map. The other advantage (that I am not using) is that it will
    also drive an autopilot to follow a route that you have previously
    programmed into the program and stored.

    Bruce-in-Bangkok