That didn't hurt a bit (upgrade) - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on That didn't hurt a bit (upgrade) - Ubuntu ; I just upgrade to 8.04.1 from/with 7.10. I re-sized partitions and saved the 7.10 so I could dual boot if 8.04 didn't work out. The only odd ball occurrence was with the ATI restricted driver. When I enabled it and ...

  1. That didn't hurt a bit (upgrade)

    I just upgrade to 8.04.1 from/with 7.10.

    I re-sized partitions and saved the 7.10 so I could dual boot if 8.04
    didn't work out.

    The only odd ball occurrence was with the ATI restricted driver. When I
    enabled it and rebooted, my screen would go blank for a second every time
    I clicked on something. I disabled it, rebooted and everything works
    fine. Not sure what the restricted driver was supposed to add, but
    everything looks the same to me, pictures, video, web pages etc.

    The whole exercise took about 40 minutes. The 125 updates was the longest
    part!

  2. Re: That didn't hurt a bit (upgrade)

    "Nico" wrote in message
    >I just upgrade to 8.04.1 from/with 7.10.
    >
    > I re-sized partitions and saved the 7.10 so I could dual boot if 8.04
    > didn't work out.
    >
    > The only odd ball occurrence was with the ATI restricted driver. When I
    > enabled it and rebooted, my screen would go blank for a second every time
    > I clicked on something. I disabled it, rebooted and everything works
    > fine. Not sure what the restricted driver was supposed to add, but
    > everything looks the same to me, pictures, video, web pages etc.
    >
    > The whole exercise took about 40 minutes. The 125 updates was the longest
    > part!

    A big glitch in ubuntu is graphics drivers.
    The pro-ubunters like the restricted drivers.
    Real users like the binary drivers from nvidia.
    Use the binary ones.

    --
    Ens causa sui
    Fit caedes omnibus locis

  3. Re: That didn't hurt a bit (upgrade)

    "D. Eth" wrote in message news:gbj3b5$bt5$1@aioe.org...
    > "Nico" wrote in message
    >>I just upgrade to 8.04.1 from/with 7.10.
    >>
    >> I re-sized partitions and saved the 7.10 so I could dual boot if 8.04
    >> didn't work out.
    >>
    >> The only odd ball occurrence was with the ATI restricted driver. When I
    >> enabled it and rebooted, my screen would go blank for a second every time
    >> I clicked on something. I disabled it, rebooted and everything works
    >> fine. Not sure what the restricted driver was supposed to add, but
    >> everything looks the same to me, pictures, video, web pages etc.
    >>
    >> The whole exercise took about 40 minutes. The 125 updates was the longest
    >> part!
    >>

    > A big glitch in ubuntu is graphics drivers.
    > The pro-ubunters like the restricted drivers.
    > Real users like the binary drivers from nvidia.
    > Use the binary ones.
    >
    > --
    > Ens causa sui
    > Fit caedes omnibus locis

    Before some ubuntdouche says it ... the OP said ATI...I know , I know.

    But graphics drivers for ubuntool are the same...use the binaries.

    --
    Ens causa sui
    Fit caedes omnibus locis

  4. Re: That didn't hurt a bit (upgrade)

    D. Eth illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > "Nico" wrote in message
    >>I just upgrade to 8.04.1 from/with 7.10.
    >>
    >> I re-sized partitions and saved the 7.10 so I could dual boot if 8.04
    >> didn't work out.
    >>
    >> The only odd ball occurrence was with the ATI restricted driver. When I
    >> enabled it and rebooted, my screen would go blank for a second every time
    >> I clicked on something. I disabled it, rebooted and everything works
    >> fine. Not sure what the restricted driver was supposed to add, but
    >> everything looks the same to me, pictures, video, web pages etc.
    >>
    >> The whole exercise took about 40 minutes. The 125 updates was the longest
    >> part!
    >>

    > A big glitch in ubuntu is graphics drivers.
    > The pro-ubunters like the restricted drivers.
    > Real users like the binary drivers from nvidia.
    > Use the binary ones.

    Que?

    The "restricted drivers" *are* the binary drivers. Hence why they are
    restricted. They are simply a revision or two back from the latest on
    the websites of the manufacturers, but they HAVE been fully tested by
    the development team.

    And installing nVidia drivers for an ATI is certainly not recomended.

  5. Re: That didn't hurt a bit (upgrade)

    D. Eth illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Before some ubuntdouche says it ... the OP said ATI...I know , I know.

    Oops. Too late.

    > But graphics drivers for ubuntool are the same...use the binaries.

    Read up abot them please. You know not what you talk about. Not a
    surprise really, considering your quality of post.

  6. Re: That didn't hurt a bit (upgrade)

    "Moog" wrote in message
    > D. Eth illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >> Before some ubuntdouche says it ... the OP said ATI...I know , I know.

    > Oops. Too late.
    >
    >> But graphics drivers for ubuntool are the same...use the binaries.

    > Read up abot them please. You know not what you talk about. Not a
    > surprise really, considering your quality of post.

    abot ?
    You mean about, or abbot ?
    I do know.
    Don't need to read ****.
    Try SLI on those restricted drivers, moot.
    Or was it moog ?

    --
    Ens causa sui
    Fit caedes omnibus locis

  7. Re: That didn't hurt a bit (upgrade)

    D. Eth illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > "Moog" wrote in message
    >> D. Eth illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    >>> Before some ubuntdouche says it ... the OP said ATI...I know , I know.

    >> Oops. Too late.
    >>
    >>> But graphics drivers for ubuntool are the same...use the binaries.

    >> Read up abot them please. You know not what you talk about. Not a
    >> surprise really, considering your quality of post.
    >>

    > abot ?
    > You mean about, or abbot ?
    > I do know.
    > Don't need to read ****.
    > Try SLI on those restricted drivers, moot.
    > Or was it moog ?

    Oooh. A spelling flame from a ****wit.

    This place is deteriorating rapidly.

    *plonk*

  8. Re: That didn't hurt a bit (upgrade)

    "Moog" wrote in message
    > D. Eth illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> "Moog" wrote in message
    >>> D. Eth illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Oops. Too late.

    >>> Read up abot them please. You know not what you talk about. Not a
    >>> surprise really, considering your quality of post.
    >>>

    >> abot ?
    >> You mean about, or abbot ?
    >> I do know.
    >> Don't need to read ****.
    >> Try SLI on those restricted drivers, moot.
    >> Or was it moog ?

    > Oooh. A spelling flame from a ****wit.
    >
    > This place is deteriorating rapidly.
    >
    > *plonk*

    LOL.
    I got plonked by a moronic, non-driver knowing douche.

    There is a difference...You need to know before you know.
    Try reading from an actual user, twit.

    I mean , a former user.
    The ubuntu partition got overwritten by a debian partition.

    And Suse makes ubuntu look like Win95

    --
    Ens causa sui
    Fit caedes omnibus locis

  9. Re: That didn't hurt a bit (upgrade)

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 17:59:43 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > D. Eth illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> "Nico" wrote in message
    >>>I just upgrade to 8.04.1 from/with 7.10.
    >>>
    >>> I re-sized partitions and saved the 7.10 so I could dual boot if 8.04
    >>> didn't work out.
    >>>
    >>> The only odd ball occurrence was with the ATI restricted driver. When
    >>> I enabled it and rebooted, my screen would go blank for a second every
    >>> time I clicked on something. I disabled it, rebooted and everything
    >>> works fine. Not sure what the restricted driver was supposed to add,
    >>> but everything looks the same to me, pictures, video, web pages etc.
    >>>
    >>> The whole exercise took about 40 minutes. The 125 updates was the
    >>> longest part!
    >>>

    >> A big glitch in ubuntu is graphics drivers. The pro-ubunters like the
    >> restricted drivers. Real users like the binary drivers from nvidia. Use
    >> the binary ones.

    > Que?
    >
    > The "restricted drivers" *are* the binary drivers. Hence why they are
    > restricted. They are simply a revision or two back from the latest on
    > the websites of the manufacturers, but they HAVE been fully tested by
    > the development team.
    >
    > And installing nVidia drivers for an ATI is certainly not recomended.

    You wouldn't know your ass from a hole in the ground.

    Hint---a shovel makes a smaller hole.

    --
    Ens causa sui
    Fit caedes omnibus locis

  10. Re: That didn't hurt a bit (upgrade)

    In <6k4o65F62m2pU1@mid.individual.net> Moog:

    [Snip..]

    > This place is deteriorating rapidly.

    The "goldstein" troll infested some Linux groups again today, looking for
    anything to derail the Libre Train. I love the smell of M$ burning...

    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

  11. Re: That didn't hurt a bit (upgrade)

    D. Eth wrote:

    >> *plonk*
    >>

    > LOL.
    > I got plonked by a moronic, non-driver knowing douche.
    >
    > There is a difference...You need to know before you know.
    > Try reading from an actual user, twit.
    >
    > I mean , a former user.
    > The ubuntu partition got overwritten by a debian partition.

    So ...

  12. Re: That didn't hurt a bit (upgrade)

    D. Eth wrote:

    > Focking linux distros can't get posting to NG correct.
    > After using pan in Suse, the next f-ing message I tried to send got a "the
    > folder W.P.W.V.G does not exist" !
    > Linux is such sheeit.
    >
    > At least Vista f-ing works !

    Ok. so why not stay on the vista froups?

  13. Re: That didn't hurt a bit (upgrade)

    D.Eth wrote:

    > You wouldn't know your ass from a hole in the ground.
    >
    > Hint---a shovel makes a smaller hole.

    Looks like this post belongs to a flame froup.

  14. Re: That didn't hurt a bit (upgrade)

    wisdomkiller & pain wrote:

    > So ...

    It's obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed!

    C.

  15. Re: That didn't hurt a bit (upgrade)

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 09:24:10 +0200, wisdomkiller & pain wrote:

    > D. Eth wrote:
    >
    >>> *plonk*
    >>>

    >> LOL.
    >> I got plonked by a moronic, non-driver knowing douche.
    >>
    >> There is a difference...You need to know before you know. Try reading
    >> from an actual user, twit.
    >>
    >> I mean , a former user.
    >> The ubuntu partition got overwritten by a debian partition.
    >>

    > So ...

    Read my headers now.
    I use linux sometimes.
    Windows is just better.

    --
    Ens causa sui
    Fit caedes omnibus locis

  16. Re: That didn't hurt a bit (upgrade)

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 03:51:06 +0200 (CEST), D.Eth wrote:

    >>> LOL.
    >>> I got plonked by a moronic, non-driver knowing douche.
    >>>
    >>> There is a difference...You need to know before you know. Try reading
    >>> from an actual user, twit.
    >>>
    >>> I mean , a former user.
    >>> The ubuntu partition got overwritten by a debian partition.
    >>>

    >> So ...

    >Read my headers now.
    >I use linux sometimes.
    >Windows is just better.

    stupid troll

  17. Re: That didn't hurt a bit (upgrade)

    "wisdomkiller & pain" wrote in
    message news:1256525.jgtt4JM3d0@woodpecker.motzarella.org. ..
    > D. Eth wrote:

    >> Focking linux distros can't get posting to NG correct.
    >> After using pan in Suse, the next f-ing message I tried to send got a
    >> "the
    >> folder W.P.W.V.G does not exist" !
    >> Linux is such sheeit.
    >>
    >> At least Vista f-ing works !
    >>

    > Ok. so why not stay on the vista froups?

    I wadz inbited here.

    --
    Ens causa sui
    Fit caedes omnibus locis

  18. Re: That didn't hurt a bit (upgrade)

    "wisdomkiller & pain" wrote in
    message news:1256525.jgtt4JM3d0@woodpecker.motzarella.org. ..
    > D. Eth wrote:

    >> Focking linux distros can't get posting to NG correct.
    >> After using pan in Suse, the next f-ing message I tried to send got a
    >> "the
    >> folder W.P.W.V.G does not exist" !
    >> Linux is such sheeit.
    >>
    >> At least Vista f-ing works !
    >>

    > Ok. so why not stay on the vista froups?

    I wadz ibited here.
    --
    Ens causa sui
    Fit caedes omnibus locis