Burn files bigger than 4 gig - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Burn files bigger than 4 gig - Ubuntu ; Is there a way to burn files to DVD bigger than four gigs? Dan Dangerous...

  1. Burn files bigger than 4 gig

    Is there a way to burn files to DVD bigger than four gigs?

    Dan Dangerous

  2. Re: Burn files bigger than 4 gig

    Dan Dangerous wrote:

    > Is there a way to burn files to DVD bigger than four gigs?
    >
    > Dan Dangerous

    Uhm. Yes, of course. There are even double-layer dvds for files
    that exceed 4.3G, if your burner supports them.
    But what was your problem?

  3. Re: Burn files bigger than 4 gig

    wisdomkiller & pain wrote:
    > Dan Dangerous wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a way to burn files to DVD bigger than four gigs?
    >>
    >> Dan Dangerous

    > Uhm. Yes, of course. There are even double-layer dvds for files
    > that exceed 4.3G, if your burner supports them.
    > But what was your problem?

    I made an encrypted file with Truecrypt, filled it with stuff and
    tried to burn using k3b. It said, It is not possible to add files
    bigger than four gigs. Tried using ISO master to create an ISO and
    got this message, Failed to add '/media/disk/Crypt file': 'Cannot add
    file larger than 4294967295 bytes because the ISO filesystem does not
    support such large files'.

    Dan Dangerous

  4. Re: Burn files bigger than 4 gig

    Dan Dangerous schreef:
    > wisdomkiller & pain wrote:
    >> Dan Dangerous wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there a way to burn files to DVD bigger than four gigs?
    >>>
    >>> Dan Dangerous

    >> Uhm. Yes, of course. There are even double-layer dvds for files
    >> that exceed 4.3G, if your burner supports them.
    >> But what was your problem?

    > I made an encrypted file with Truecrypt, filled it with stuff and
    > tried to burn using k3b. It said, It is not possible to add files
    > bigger than four gigs. Tried using ISO master to create an ISO and
    > got this message, Failed to add '/media/disk/Crypt file': 'Cannot add
    > file larger than 4294967295 bytes because the ISO filesystem does not
    > support such large files'.
    >
    > Dan Dangerous

    Maybe the original file is in FAT32?

    Disclaimer, I don't know Iso Master.

  5. Re: Burn files bigger than 4 gig

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    > Maybe the original file is in FAT32?

    That doesn't matter, the DVD has it's own file system. ISO9660 just doesn't
    allow files bigger than 4GB.

  6. Re: Burn files bigger than 4 gig

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 01:19:11 -0500, Dan Dangerous wrote:
    > I made an encrypted file with Truecrypt, filled it with stuff and
    > tried to burn using k3b. It said, It is not possible to add files
    > bigger than four gigs. Tried using ISO master to create an ISO and
    > got this message, Failed to add '/media/disk/Crypt file': 'Cannot add
    > file larger than 4294967295 bytes because the ISO filesystem does not
    > support such large files'.

    Older versions of k3b used to complain about files larger than 4 GB on
    a DVD, but I believe the more recent versions will let you do it. I
    remember seeing it marked fixed in the bug tracking system.

    --
    Travis Evans
    [Obtain email address by removing all Q's.]

  7. Re: Burn files bigger than 4 gig

    Dan Dangerous wrote:
    > I made an encrypted file with Truecrypt, filled it with stuff and
    > tried to burn using k3b. It said, It is not possible to add files
    > bigger than four gigs. Tried using ISO master to create an ISO and
    > got this message, Failed to add '/media/disk/Crypt file': 'Cannot add
    > file larger than 4294967295 bytes because the ISO filesystem does not
    > support such large files'.

    Burn it using a UDF file system instead of ISO9660; that can cope with
    ridiculously large file sizes.

    --
    Eddie eddie@deguello.org

  8. Re: Burn files bigger than 4 gig

    Dan Dangerous schrieb:
    > Is there a way to burn files to DVD bigger than four gigs?

    keep in mind that you specify "-iso-level 3" to mkisofs.

    Martin

  9. Re: Burn files bigger than 4 gig

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Eddie belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Dan Dangerous wrote:
    >> I made an encrypted file with Truecrypt, filled it with stuff and
    >> tried to burn using k3b. It said, It is not possible to add files
    >> bigger than four gigs. Tried using ISO master to create an ISO and
    >> got this message, Failed to add '/media/disk/Crypt file': 'Cannot add
    >> file larger than 4294967295 bytes because the ISO filesystem does not
    >> support such large files'.

    > Burn it using a UDF file system instead of ISO9660; that can cope with
    > ridiculously large file sizes.

    Or, if you want ISO, use split (and cat to put it all back together).

    --
    Never was anything great achieved without danger.
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

  10. Re: Burn files bigger than 4 gig

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Martin Klar belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Dan Dangerous schrieb:
    >> Is there a way to burn files to DVD bigger than four gigs?

    > keep in mind that you specify "-iso-level 3" to mkisofs.

    The man page seems to indicate that that option affects only file names,
    not allowable sizes. Is that true?

    Thanx.

    --
    One friend in a lifetime is much; two are many; three are hardly possible.
    Friendship needs a certain parallelism of life, a community of thought,

  11. Re: Burn files bigger than 4 gig

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > The man page seems to indicate that that option affects only file names,
    > not allowable sizes. Is that true?

    funny enough, there are different versions of man pages (cf. genisoimage
    vs. mkisofs) out there. E.g.
    http://www.mcs.vuw.ac.nz/cgi-bin/man2html?mkisofs(8)
    tells more.

  12. Re: Burn files bigger than 4 gig

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 01:19:11 -0500, Dan Dangerous wrote:

    > wisdomkiller & pain wrote:
    >> Dan Dangerous wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there a way to burn files to DVD bigger than four gigs?
    >>>
    >>> Dan Dangerous

    >> Uhm. Yes, of course. There are even double-layer dvds for files that
    >> exceed 4.3G, if your burner supports them. But what was your problem?

    > I made an encrypted file with Truecrypt, filled it with stuff and tried
    > to burn using k3b. It said, It is not possible to add files bigger than
    > four gigs. Tried using ISO master to create an ISO and got this message,
    > Failed to add '/media/disk/Crypt file': 'Cannot add file larger than
    > 4294967295 bytes because the ISO filesystem does not support such large
    > files'.
    >
    > Dan Dangerous

    You could use TrueCrypt to split the file; for example:

    Crypt Volume #1: Missionary Positions
    " " #2: Whipping
    " " #3: Lezzies
    " " #4: Pretty Bois

    Etc. That would make it easier to search anyway.

    Just a thought.

    Good Luck?

    Dave

  13. Re: Burn files bigger than 4 gig

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Martin Klar belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >> The man page seems to indicate that that option affects only file names,
    >> not allowable sizes. Is that true?

    > funny enough, there are different versions of man pages (cf. genisoimage
    > vs. mkisofs) out there. E.g.
    > http://www.mcs.vuw.ac.nz/cgi-bin/man2html?mkisofs(8)
    > tells more.

    Thanks.

    In debian, mkisofs is just a symlink to genisoimage.

    --
    First law of debate:
    Never argue with a fool. People might not know the difference.

  14. Re: Burn files bigger than 4 gig

    Eddie wrote:
    > Dan Dangerous wrote:
    >> I made an encrypted file with Truecrypt, filled it with stuff and
    >> tried to burn using k3b. It said, It is not possible to add files
    >> bigger than four gigs. Tried using ISO master to create an ISO and
    >> got this message, Failed to add '/media/disk/Crypt file': 'Cannot add
    >> file larger than 4294967295 bytes because the ISO filesystem does not
    >> support such large files'.

    > Burn it using a UDF file system instead of ISO9660; that can cope with
    > ridiculously large file sizes.

    I tried to burn using UDF with k3b but it wont even let me add the
    file to the project, saying, It is not possible to add files bigger than
    4.0 GB. I couldn't get the new version of k3b to install, but, installed
    gnomebaker, it let me add the file, then my computer crashed, and now
    KDE has disappeared without a trace. I'm going to be busy for a while
    with other things.

    Dan Dangerous

+ Reply to Thread