Just got the new Dell mailout - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Just got the new Dell mailout - Ubuntu ; The new Inspiron Mini 9 has the option of Ubuntu 8.x as low as $350. Anyone have a hands-on review?...

  1. Just got the new Dell mailout

    The new Inspiron Mini 9 has the option of Ubuntu 8.x as low as $350. Anyone
    have a hands-on review?

  2. Re: Just got the new Dell mailout

    Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    > The new Inspiron Mini 9 has the option of Ubuntu 8.x as low as $350.
    > Anyone have a hands-on review?

    No handson review, but Dell has a fair gallery and 360 rotation view at
    their site.

    The keyboard looks a little bit small, but that's one of those things you
    would have to play with a little bit to see how difficult the adjustment
    would be.

    There are 3 models, $350 for .5G ram & 4G SSD w/ Ub804, $400 for 1G ram &
    8G SSD & XPhome, $450 for 1G ram & 16G SSD & XP.

    I think I would like the $400/ 1G ram/ 8G SSD and add Ub or other distro
    to the XP.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Can I have it, daddy? Can I? Can I?

  3. Re: Just got the new Dell mailout

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > There are 3 models, $350 for .5G ram & 4G SSD w/ Ub804, $400 for 1G ram
    > & 8G SSD & XPhome, $450 for 1G ram & 16G SSD & XP.

    I lied/misspoke.

    The middle model is .5G ram, not 1G.

    I might want to take the $450 model to get the 1G; also it comes in
    Alpine white while the others are Obsidian black.

    Currently those XP model prices are based on $25 and $40 discounts to make
    the XP more attractive. Without the discount the prices for the XP models
    are $424 & $490.

    Oh wait; I see you can build your own. You can have either color, you
    can add a half G ram for $25.

    OK. I changed my mind again. I'll take the middle model for $400 and add
    $25 for another .5G ram.

    --
    Mike Easter

  4. Re: Just got the new Dell mailout

    Ed Edelenbos wrote:

    > The new Inspiron Mini 9 has the option of Ubuntu 8.x as low as $350.
    > Anyone have a hands-on review?

    Why not save about $350. Get Ubuntu 8.04 (latest) for free from
    ubuntu.com on a CD. For about
    $10 or $20 you can get a DVD with more applications etc. from
    Amazon.

    If you wish you can contribute the fraction you prefer of the $350
    to the Ubuntu organization.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  5. Re: Just got the new Dell mailout

    On 2008-09-25, Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    > The new Inspiron Mini 9 has the option of Ubuntu 8.x as low as $350. Anyone
    > have a hands-on review?

    These little baby computers are very nifty where you cannot take a big
    laptop. I have a very old 10" Fujitsu Lifebook and it is indispensable
    to take to various events. That old POS could not even run XP, not to
    speak of Vista. Just 256 MB of RAM. With linux, though, it runs
    satisfactorily.

    It is not very convenient to type, yet still usable.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  6. Re: Just got the new Dell mailout

    "Ignoramus23784" wrote in message
    news:wfSdnUQ8p6ply0HVnZ2dnUVZ_uqdnZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > On 2008-09-25, Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    >> The new Inspiron Mini 9 has the option of Ubuntu 8.x as low as $350.
    >> Anyone
    >> have a hands-on review?

    > These little baby computers are very nifty where you cannot take a big
    > laptop. I have a very old 10" Fujitsu Lifebook and it is indispensable
    > to take to various events. That old POS could not even run XP, not to
    > speak of Vista. Just 256 MB of RAM. With linux, though, it runs
    > satisfactorily.
    >
    > It is not very convenient to type, yet still usable.

    I haven't found any of the small kb's hard to use. We have a couple of the
    7" eee PC's in the house. They run linux and XP fine. I've never
    understood the idea of trying to use a laptop as a desktop. It's always
    seemed like planning a cross country trip on a moped.

    Ed

  7. Re: Just got the new Dell mailout

    "Mike Easter" wrote in message
    news:irqdnU3p1t2WtUHVnZ2dnUVZ_vednZ2d@earthlink.co m...
    > Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    >> The new Inspiron Mini 9 has the option of Ubuntu 8.x as low as $350.
    >> Anyone have a hands-on review?

    > No handson review, but Dell has a fair gallery and 360 rotation view at
    > their site.
    >
    > The keyboard looks a little bit small, but that's one of those things you
    > would have to play with a little bit to see how difficult the adjustment
    > would be.
    >
    > There are 3 models, $350 for .5G ram & 4G SSD w/ Ub804, $400 for 1G ram &
    > 8G SSD & XPhome, $450 for 1G ram & 16G SSD & XP.
    >
    > I think I would like the $400/ 1G ram/ 8G SSD and add Ub or other distro
    > to the XP.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter
    > Can I have it, daddy? Can I? Can I?

    I wonder how the kb compares to the eee PC. I've never had a problem with
    either the 7" or 10" versions. Taking the lowest model (w/ubuntu) and
    upping
    the ram to 1g, the hd to 8g, and adding the webcam only ups it to $425 ($410
    without the cam). That's well under the (as I see it) comparable eee PC
    901.

    Ed

  8. Re: Just got the new Dell mailout

    "Mike Easter" wrote in message
    news:irqdnU3p1t2WtUHVnZ2dnUVZ_vednZ2d@earthlink.co m...
    > Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    >> The new Inspiron Mini 9 has the option of Ubuntu 8.x as low as $350.
    >> Anyone have a hands-on review?

    > No handson review, but Dell has a fair gallery and 360 rotation view at
    > their site.
    >
    > The keyboard looks a little bit small, but that's one of those things you
    > would have to play with a little bit to see how difficult the adjustment
    > would be.
    >
    > There are 3 models, $350 for .5G ram & 4G SSD w/ Ub804, $400 for 1G ram &
    > 8G SSD & XPhome, $450 for 1G ram & 16G SSD & XP.
    >
    > I think I would like the $400/ 1G ram/ 8G SSD and add Ub or other distro
    > to the XP.

    I think the extra $50 for the 16G SSD might be worth it.

+ Reply to Thread