Ubuntu installer - controlling which boot sector it writes to. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu installer - controlling which boot sector it writes to. - Ubuntu ; Chaps, is there any way in the grub part of the installer to make it write to the boot sector of the drive _I_ want it to, rather than the first hard disk it finds? It did this on my ...

  1. Ubuntu installer - controlling which boot sector it writes to.

    Chaps,

    is there any way in the grub part of the installer to make it write to the
    boot sector of the drive _I_ want it to, rather than the first hard disk it
    finds? It did this on my XP machine a while back, and, chastened by this
    experience when installing Ubuntu-eee the other day it despite best efforts
    with a manual partition effort, still overwrote the MBR on the internal
    drive rather than the SD card that I wanted.

    Was their an option I am missing?

    BTW, usually a slacker so am more used to lilo than grub!

    Pete
    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  2. Re: Ubuntu installer - controlling which boot sector it writes to.

    Peter Chant wrote in

    > Chaps,
    >
    > is there any way in the grub part of the installer to make it write to
    > the boot sector of the drive _I_ want it to, rather than the first
    > hard disk it finds? It did this on my XP machine a while back, and,
    > chastened by this experience when installing Ubuntu-eee the other day
    > it despite best efforts with a manual partition effort, still
    > overwrote the MBR on the internal drive rather than the SD card that I
    > wanted.
    >
    > Was their an option I am missing?
    >
    > BTW, usually a slacker so am more used to lilo than grub!
    >
    > Pete

    http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/arb/mobeus/

    To make a grub boot SD card (using GRUB boot floppy docs):

    # Mount Linux partition from hard disk
    mkdir /mnt/hda3; mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3;
    # Format SD card and mount it
    /mnt/hda3/sbin/mke2fs /dev/sda; mkdir /mnt/sda; mount /dev/sda
    /mnt/sda;
    # Copy GRUB files to SD card
    mkdir -p /mnt/sda/boot/grub; cp /mnt/hda3/boot/grub/stage[12]
    /mnt/sda/boot/grub;
    cp /mnt/hda3/boot/message /mnt/sda/boot;
    cp /mnt/hda3/boot/grub/{menu.lst,device.map} /mnt/sda/boot/grub;
    grub
    device (fd0) /dev/sda
    root (fd0)
    setup (fd0)
    quit

    You may also want to make a copy of your MBR on this SD card. See also
    Linux Recovery and Book Disk tutorials.

  3. Re: Ubuntu installer - controlling which boot sector it writes to.

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 22:42:34 +0100, Peter Chant wrote:

    > Chaps,
    >
    > is there any way in the grub part of the installer to make it write to
    > the boot sector of the drive _I_ want it to, rather than the first hard
    > disk it finds? It did this on my XP machine a while back, and,
    > chastened by this experience when installing Ubuntu-eee the other day it
    > despite best efforts with a manual partition effort, still overwrote the
    > MBR on the internal drive rather than the SD card that I wanted.
    >
    > Was their an option I am missing?
    >
    > BTW, usually a slacker so am more used to lilo than grub!
    >
    > Pete

    On step 7, ready to install, click the advanced tab
    see http://neosmart.net/wiki/download/at...Change%20GRUB%
    20Location.png

  4. Re: Ubuntu installer - controlling which boot sector it writes to.

    hatter wrote:

    > http://neosmart.net/wiki/download/at...Change%20GRUB%
    > 20Location.png

    Thanks,