Newbi to Ubuntu - Problem with old laptop - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Newbi to Ubuntu - Problem with old laptop - Ubuntu ; Work for a charity supporting disabled individuals, charities and the like (disabled access to computing or da2c.org). Have a client with a Tosh 500MHz laptop, her printer died and she went out withough asking us and bought the one the ...

  1. Newbi to Ubuntu - Problem with old laptop

    Work for a charity supporting disabled individuals, charities and the like
    (disabled access to computing or da2c.org). Have a client with a Tosh 500MHz
    laptop, her printer died and she went out withough asking us and bought the
    one the nice man in the shop recomended. The laptop is Win98SE, the new
    pronter has no drivers for this.
    Idea was to try the Ubuntu CD and see if it could talk to the printer, if so
    back up data (mostly Lotus Word Pro text, so use RTF), install Ubuntu,
    re-load data and bob's your dad's brother.
    Put in the CD - Informs me its worried that the ACPI might be an issue as
    the BIOS is 1999. Starts to load, get the strobe bar okay, then blank screen
    with flashing cursor with constant CD reading. The cursor isn't live, can't
    type to it.
    Rebooted and checked CD, says it's okay.
    Rebooted and set safe graphics mode - Same as above.
    Couldn't find a text mode option.
    Only ever used Red Hat before and never seen anything like this.

    Suggestions?

    (She cannot afford another machine and we do not currently have anything
    suitable to give her, wheelchairs, tables, access that sort of thing)

    Regards

    Mike

  2. Re: Newbi to Ubuntu - Problem with old laptop

    Mike Smith illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Work for a charity supporting disabled individuals, charities and the like
    > (disabled access to computing or da2c.org). Have a client with a Tosh 500MHz
    > laptop, her printer died and she went out withough asking us and bought the
    > one the nice man in the shop recomended. The laptop is Win98SE, the new
    > pronter has no drivers for this.
    > Idea was to try the Ubuntu CD and see if it could talk to the printer, if so
    > back up data (mostly Lotus Word Pro text, so use RTF), install Ubuntu,
    > re-load data and bob's your dad's brother.
    > Put in the CD - Informs me its worried that the ACPI might be an issue as
    > the BIOS is 1999. Starts to load, get the strobe bar okay, then blank screen
    > with flashing cursor with constant CD reading. The cursor isn't live, can't
    > type to it.
    > Rebooted and checked CD, says it's okay.
    > Rebooted and set safe graphics mode - Same as above.
    > Couldn't find a text mode option.
    > Only ever used Red Hat before and never seen anything like this.
    >
    > Suggestions?
    >
    > (She cannot afford another machine and we do not currently have anything
    > suitable to give her, wheelchairs, tables, access that sort of thing)

    Hi Mike,

    Well. It looks like you're doing some sterling work there.

    My guess.....

    The hardware is too underpowered for the current Ubuntu. The current
    ubuntu requires at least 256mb ram and 384mb for the LiveCD.

    You may need to look at one of the lighter weight distributions.

    Puppy Linux would be a good start.
    http://www.puppylinux.org/

    It's an exceptionally polished distribution. Extremely snappy and
    should actually breathe a bit of life into the old hardware.

    As for the printer. It should be OK with virtually any distro (if it
    isn't a printer from the like of canon)

    Good luck.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  3. Re: Newbi to Ubuntu - Problem with old laptop

    "Moog" wrote in message
    > Mike Smith illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Snipped original post

    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > Well. It looks like you're doing some sterling work there.
    >
    > My guess.....
    >
    > The hardware is too underpowered for the current Ubuntu. The current
    > ubuntu requires at least 256mb ram and 384mb for the LiveCD.
    >
    > You may need to look at one of the lighter weight distributions.
    >
    > Puppy Linux would be a good start.
    > http://www.puppylinux.org/
    >
    > It's an exceptionally polished distribution. Extremely snappy and
    > should actually breathe a bit of life into the old hardware.
    >
    > As for the printer. It should be OK with virtually any distro (if it
    > isn't a printer from the like of canon)
    >
    > Good luck.

    Blimey that was quick! - Many thanks - Needless to say I cannot now recall
    the name of said printer ( Possibly Canon Pixma?, cannot remember the number
    though). Seem to remember there was a Linux driver mentioned when I tried to
    find a 98 driver, but not sure on that (should be now that Linux is doing so
    well).
    I'll download the distro and see if I can get it to run first, then tackle
    the printer issues. It would be good to get her off Mickysofts technological
    island, the rent is too steep for her.
    She's a writer, and a very good one, but got mangled in a car crash
    (sleeping lorry driver went right over her car when she stopped at traffic
    lights). This could be her ticket out of the benefits nightmare, if we can
    get it all to hang together.

    Thanks for the help - If I come up with a definitive on this I'll post a
    report

    Mike

  4. Re: Newbi to Ubuntu - Problem with old laptop

    "Mike Smith" wrote in

    > Work for a charity supporting disabled individuals, charities and the
    > like (disabled access to computing or da2c.org). Have a client with a
    > Tosh 500MHz laptop, her printer died and she went out withough asking
    > us and bought the one the nice man in the shop recomended. The laptop
    > is Win98SE, the new pronter has no drivers for this.

    .........and just to add to Moog's comments.....have you checked out if the
    new printer is cable compatible; that is, USB and/or parallel port?

  5. Re: Newbi to Ubuntu - Problem with old laptop

    > Work for a charity supporting disabled individuals, charities and the like
    > (disabled access to computing or da2c.org

    Cudos :-)

    Further to moog's suggestion on trying Puppy (it isn't bad at all btw,
    but the default behaviour is that you only need to click on a program
    once to run it - which may also be useful depending on the level of
    disability), do you have any freecycle groups in your area ?

    You often find people asking for, and getting (!) old laptops / PCs
    which might help equip your clients. One "hero" local to me has given
    away about 140 PCs / laptops now, having refurbished them in his own
    time - I think he averages about 3 free computers per week !

    You might also get some mileage out of asking local companies for
    donations - given that there's WEEE (waste electrical and electronic
    equipment) disposal legislation in place, you might be doing them a
    favour too...

  6. Re: Newbi to Ubuntu - Problem with old laptop

    Mike Smith wrote:
    > Have a client with a
    > Tosh 500MHz laptop, her printer died and she went out withough asking
    > us and bought the one the nice man in the shop recomended. The laptop
    > is Win98SE, the new pronter has no drivers for this.

    She may prefer to continue using W98; she/you just need to solve a little
    printer driver problem

    There is a tweak/ compatibility layer/ for W98se called KernelEx which
    allows it to use drivers and driver installers which were written only for
    XP or NT/2K/XP.

    http://x86.neostrada.pl/KernelEx/ KernelEx is a compatibility layer to
    allow running Windows XP-only applications on Windows 98 and Windows
    Millennium. KernelEx is an open source project and is not distributing any
    copyrighted files. This project neither requires nor includes files from
    newer OSes, like Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

    > Suggestions?

    W98se is a graphical OS with some weaknesses and deficiencies which
    require care, but which runs nicely with very low resource usage.

    --
    Mike Easter

  7. Re: Newbi to Ubuntu - Problem with old laptop

    "Mike Easter" wrote in message
    news:m7ydnaGOzaPEkUHVnZ2dnUVZ_s3inZ2d@earthlink.co m...
    > Mike Smith wrote:
    >> Have a client with a
    >> Tosh 500MHz laptop, her printer died and she went out withough asking
    >> us and bought the one the nice man in the shop recomended. The laptop
    >> is Win98SE, the new pronter has no drivers for this.

    > She may prefer to continue using W98; she/you just need to solve a little
    > printer driver problem
    >
    > There is a tweak/ compatibility layer/ for W98se called KernelEx which
    > allows it to use drivers and driver installers which were written only for
    > XP or NT/2K/XP.
    >
    > http://x86.neostrada.pl/KernelEx/ KernelEx is a compatibility layer to
    > allow running Windows XP-only applications on Windows 98 and Windows
    > Millennium. KernelEx is an open source project and is not distributing any
    > copyrighted files. This project neither requires nor includes files from
    > newer OSes, like Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
    >
    >> Suggestions?

    > W98se is a graphical OS with some weaknesses and deficiencies which
    > require care, but which runs nicely with very low resource usage.

    Thanks team, several good points raised - Hadn't heard of KernelEx, sounds
    handy for us as we have a few 98SE machines on the bench. Will give that a
    go. Personally I favour a move to Linux, 98SE was fine in its day (I still
    have a couple of machines running it with no problems) but it is no longer
    supported and we are starting to have problems when clients need a
    particular bit of modern software.

    Regards

    Mike

  8. Re: Newbi to Ubuntu - Problem with old laptop

    Mike Smith wrote:

    > "Mike Easter" wrote in message
    > news:m7ydnaGOzaPEkUHVnZ2dnUVZ_s3inZ2d@earthlink.co m...
    >> Mike Smith wrote:
    >>> Have a client with a
    >>> Tosh 500MHz laptop, her printer died and she went out withough asking
    >>> us and bought the one the nice man in the shop recomended. The laptop
    >>> is Win98SE, the new pronter has no drivers for this.

    >> She may prefer to continue using W98; she/you just need to solve a
    >> little
    >> printer driver problem
    >>
    >> There is a tweak/ compatibility layer/ for W98se called KernelEx which
    >> allows it to use drivers and driver installers which were written only
    >> for
    >> XP or NT/2K/XP.
    >>
    >> http://x86.neostrada.pl/KernelEx/ KernelEx is a compatibility layer to
    >> allow running Windows XP-only applications on Windows 98 and Windows
    >> Millennium. KernelEx is an open source project and is not distributing
    >> any
    >> copyrighted files. This project neither requires nor includes files from
    >> newer OSes, like Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
    >>
    >>> Suggestions?

    >> W98se is a graphical OS with some weaknesses and deficiencies which
    >> require care, but which runs nicely with very low resource usage.
    >>

    > Thanks team, several good points raised - Hadn't heard of KernelEx,
    > sounds handy for us as we have a few 98SE machines on the bench. Will
    > give that a go. Personally I favour a move to Linux, 98SE was fine in
    > its day (I still have a couple of machines running it with no problems)
    > but it is no longer supported and we are starting to have problems when
    > clients need a particular bit of modern software.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Mike

    If you haven't already, poke around ubuntuforums.org
    Lots of posts and experiences with getting Ubuntu to run on...?

  9. Re: Newbi to Ubuntu - Problem with old laptop

    Mike Smith illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > "Moog" wrote in message
    >> Mike Smith illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> Snipped original post

    >> Hi Mike,
    >>
    >> Well. It looks like you're doing some sterling work there.
    >>
    >> My guess.....
    >>
    >> The hardware is too underpowered for the current Ubuntu. The current
    >> ubuntu requires at least 256mb ram and 384mb for the LiveCD.
    >>
    >> You may need to look at one of the lighter weight distributions.
    >>
    >> Puppy Linux would be a good start.
    >> http://www.puppylinux.org/
    >>
    >> It's an exceptionally polished distribution. Extremely snappy and
    >> should actually breathe a bit of life into the old hardware.
    >>
    >> As for the printer. It should be OK with virtually any distro (if it
    >> isn't a printer from the like of canon)
    >>
    >> Good luck.

    > Blimey that was quick! - Many thanks - Needless to say I cannot now recall
    > the name of said printer ( Possibly Canon Pixma?, cannot remember the number
    > though). Seem to remember there was a Linux driver mentioned when I tried to
    > find a 98 driver, but not sure on that (should be now that Linux is doing so
    > well).

    Canon are particularly poor with linux drivers (hence why I mentioned
    them)

    Although, the pixma series does have some support. Which is good news.
    That would depend on the model though.

    > I'll download the distro and see if I can get it to run first, then tackle
    > the printer issues. It would be good to get her off Mickysofts technological
    > island, the rent is too steep for her.

    It's too much for most of us to support too. The old, "upgrade the OS,
    leave the hardware behind, force punters to part with cash" idiom is
    more than I can bear, and I could probably afford to follow the path.
    I've made a clean break though.

    It is certainly possible.

    > She's a writer, and a very good one, but got mangled in a car crash
    > (sleeping lorry driver went right over her car when she stopped at traffic
    > lights). This could be her ticket out of the benefits nightmare, if we can
    > get it all to hang together.

    Pass my wishes on. For what it's worth.

    That's a terrible story.
    It's great that you're doing your bit though,

    > Thanks for the help - If I come up with a definitive on this I'll post a
    > report

    Mike. It's absolutely no problem at all. If you need any further
    advice, I will certainly offer it (as will most of the other regs here)

    A couple of things that would help would be..
    Hardware Specs.
    Processor
    Ram
    Hard Disk Size
    Printer make and model

    We get those and we'll give a good honest answer. I don't think the current
    Ubuntu is going to be overly much use to you, but there are a myriad
    of alternatives.

    We will certainly point you in the right direction.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  10. Re: Newbi to Ubuntu - Problem with old laptop

    > There is a tweak/ compatibility layer/ for W98se called KernelEx which
    > allows it to use drivers and driver installers which were written only for
    > XP or NT/2K/XP.
    > http://x86.neostrada.pl/KernelEx/

    Thanks for mentioning this - while I probably won't have any use for
    it these days, it's always handy to know about "just in case" :-)

  11. Re: Newbi to Ubuntu - Problem with old laptop

    Mike Smith wrote:

    > Needless to say I cannot now
    > recall the name of said printer ( Possibly Canon Pixma?, cannot
    > remember the number though).

    I just tested an example of a popular and newer Canon Pixma 240 at the
    canon.usa site. You access the drivers to dl by selecting your OS and see
    what you get.

    The gizmo offers a choice of XP, 2K, Vista, Win98 & ME and Mac X (no
    linux), but then when you request W98 the result is "No drivers are
    available for this selection."

    I did that test to illustrate the absence of W98 drivers for a newer
    printer which is typical for lots of OEMs like canon & hp.

    When I was searching for linux drivers for a Pixma MP160 recently, I found
    this site: http://gentoo-wiki.com/Canon_Pixma_Series This page explains
    how to print (and scan) with Canon Pixma and Pixus devices. -
    net-print/cnijfilter-2.70 - use-flag/compatible devices - mp160/mp160
    mp460

    --
    Mike Easter

+ Reply to Thread