Buring ISO to a DL DVD from the command line - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Buring ISO to a DL DVD from the command line - Ubuntu ; Hi all Is it possible to burn a DL DVD from the command line? I would like to copy files from a network location, I need to create ISO out of the folder for future reference and then burn to ...

  1. Buring ISO to a DL DVD from the command line

    Hi all

    Is it possible to burn a DL DVD from the command line?
    I would like to copy files from a network location, I need to create ISO
    out of the folder for future reference and then burn to a DL DVD.

    --
    TIA

  2. Re: Buring ISO to a DL DVD from the command line

    Amnon Feiner wrote:

    > Is it possible to burn a DL DVD from the command line? I would
    > like to copy files from a network location, I need to create ISO
    > out of the folder for future reference and then burn to a DL DVD.

    You can do anything at all from the command line.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  3. Re: Buring ISO to a DL DVD from the command line

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > Amnon Feiner wrote:
    >> Is it possible to burn a DL DVD from the command line? I would
    >> like to copy files from a network location, I need to create ISO
    >> out of the folder for future reference and then burn to a DL DVD.

    > You can do anything at all from the command line.

    how? and where do I find some documentation, since what I saw does not
    include DL parameters. Are they automatically recognized?

    Holz

  4. Re: Buring ISO to a DL DVD from the command line

    On 2008-09-26, Holz wrote:
    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >> Amnon Feiner wrote:
    >>> Is it possible to burn a DL DVD from the command line? I would
    >>> like to copy files from a network location, I need to create ISO
    >>> out of the folder for future reference and then burn to a DL DVD.

    >> You can do anything at all from the command line.
    >>

    > how? and where do I find some documentation, since what I saw does not
    > include DL parameters. Are they automatically recognized?

    mkisofs, man mkisofs for the many switches it has ;-)

  5. Re: Buring ISO to a DL DVD from the command line

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Amnon Feiner belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Hi all
    >
    > Is it possible to burn a DL DVD from the command line?
    > I would like to copy files from a network location, I need to create ISO
    > out of the folder for future reference and then burn to a DL DVD.

    I use mkisofs to make the image. Here's a script snippet:

    #!/bin/bash
    #
    ISOFLAGS="-v -r -T -J -iso-level 2 -l --joliet-long -relaxed-filenames" ;

    mkisofs $ISOFLAGS -V $ISOBASE -o $ISO "$SOURCEDIR" ;

    $ISOBASE is just the first portion of name of the directory to be packed
    up, to use as the volume label. Example: MyTunes

    $ISO is the name of the output file. Example: MyTunes.iso

    $SOURCEDIR is the directory to pack up. Examples: MyTunes or
    MyTunes.d.

    Then I use the script below (burn-dl-dvd) to do the burn. Note
    particularly the DLFLAGS. I run it as root. If you don't like that,
    you can adapt.

    If you want me to post the whole script for the above (mkiso), too,
    lemme know.

    Chris

    ----------------------- cut here

    #!/bin/bash
    #
    # Script: burn-dl-dvd
    # Purpose: To burn a *double-layer* data DVD with a single raw file provided.
    # No assumptions are made about the nature of the file; it
    # is used as is, if it exists. It should be a legal DVD image
    # as created by mkiso (our wrapper for mkisofs) or some other
    # ISO image creator.
    # Note: The growisofs app replaces cdrecord or wodim for this purpose.
    # Author: Chris Ahlstrom
    # Updates: 03/23/2008-03/23/2008
    #

    declare -i ARGC=$#
    DOHELP=false
    DOSCAN=false

    if [ $ARGC -ge 1 ] ; then

    if [ $1 == "--help" ] ; then
    DOHELP=true ;
    else
    if [ $1 == "--scan" ] ; then
    DOSCAN=true ;
    else
    ISOBASE=$1 ;
    fi
    fi

    else

    DOHELP=true ;

    fi

    if [ $DOHELP == "true" ] ; then

    echo $'\n' "Version 0.93 Usage: burn-dl-dvd [ filename ]" $'\n\n' \
    "where" $'\n\n' \
    " filename is name of the file to burn to DVD." $'\n\n'

    else

    if [ $DOSCAN == "true" ] ; then

    # wodim dev=ATA: -scanbus
    echo "--scan not yet supported by this script" ;

    else

    read -p "Is a DVD+-R DL inserted? Write to DVD? (y, n)> " RESPONSE ;
    case "$RESPONSE" in

    y|yes|Y|YES)

    RESULT="false" ;
    if [ ${UID} != 0 ] ; then
    echo "You should log in as root to write to the DVD. " $'\n' ;
    else

    UNUSED_OPTIONS="-use-the-force-luke=tracksize:4145845"
    DLFLAGS="-use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=tty -speed=2.4" ;
    echo "growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvdrw=$ISOBASE $DLFLAGS" ;
    growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvdrw=$ISOBASE $DLFLAGS;
    fi
    ;;

    n|no|N|NO)

    echo "NO DVD-WRITING PERFORMED, at user's request" ;
    exit ;
    ;;

    esac

    fi

    fi

    #************************************************* ****************************
    # vim: ts=3 sw=3 et ft=sh
    #-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

  6. Re: Buring ISO to a DL DVD from the command line

    In article <6k22lnF5jqo0U1@mid.individual.net>,
    Amnon Feiner wrote:

    > Is it possible to burn a DL DVD from the command line?
    > I would like to copy files from a network location, I need to create ISO
    > out of the folder for future reference and then burn to a DL DVD.

    Others have answered the above question. Let me add one thing: after
    you burn it, do not even consider omitting doing a check to make sure it
    was burned correctly.

    A coworker recently needed a DL DVD of an image I had made. He tried
    burning on two different Linux boxes, and both failed. He then gave me
    a blank DL disc, and I tried burning it on a Mac. That too failed.

    DL burning seems much more sensitive than SL burning, so caution is
    warranted.

    (Personally, I check all SL burns afterwards, too, but SL burning seems
    reliable enough that I could understand how some people might skip
    checking nowadays).

    --
    --Tim Smith

  7. Re: Buring ISO to a DL DVD from the command line

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 13:04:46 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article <6k22lnF5jqo0U1@mid.individual.net>,
    > Amnon Feiner wrote:
    >>
    >> Is it possible to burn a DL DVD from the command line?
    >> I would like to copy files from a network location, I need to create ISO
    >> out of the folder for future reference and then burn to a DL DVD.

    > Others have answered the above question. Let me add one thing: after
    > you burn it, do not even consider omitting doing a check to make sure it
    > was burned correctly.
    >
    > A coworker recently needed a DL DVD of an image I had made. He tried
    > burning on two different Linux boxes, and both failed. He then gave me
    > a blank DL disc, and I tried burning it on a Mac. That too failed.
    >
    > DL burning seems much more sensitive than SL burning, so caution is
    > warranted.
    >
    > (Personally, I check all SL burns afterwards, too, but SL burning seems
    > reliable enough that I could understand how some people might skip
    > checking nowadays).

    I would not trust anything irreplaceable to DL DVDs.

    The most important thing is to use quality media.
    There *is* a difference and it is huge.

    If you are planning on keeping this stuff for a long time, the only
    solution is 3 different burns, on 3 different brands of quality media, 3
    different burners and kept in 3 different locations.

    Playing around with a Plextor drive and Plextools using different media is
    a valuable lesson in how bad some of the blanks out there are.

    NX Nexxtech for one example.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: