vista dual boot - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on vista dual boot - Ubuntu ; Hi all, a new guy here. I have been out of the UNIX loop for several years and wish to get back the devel'r skills I had before. I read Hank's post from Sept 15th but I have additional questions. ...

  1. vista dual boot

    Hi all,

    a new guy here. I have been out of the UNIX loop for several years and
    wish to get back the devel'r skills I had before. I read Hank's post
    from Sept 15th but I have additional questions. In this light, I am
    trying to install Ubuntu on a vista laptop :

    hp pavillion 9700
    3 G ram
    221 G hd with 156 available

    I downloaded

    ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386

    to my hd and then burned it onto a cd-r.

    I need to partition the hd but I do not see any tool under control panel
    -> system and maintenance and the disk i burned is not boot able.

    i would appreciate hints as to where to find information on partitioning
    the hd and getting the cd to boot (the bios is set properly for cd boot)

    tia,
    peter

  2. Re: vista dual boot

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:59:27 -0400, peter wrote:

    > I have been out of the UNIX loop for several years and
    > wish to get back the devel'r skills I had before. I read Hank's post
    > from Sept 15th but I have additional questions. In this light, I am
    > trying to install Ubuntu on a vista laptop :
    >
    > hp pavillion 9700
    > 3 G ram
    > 221 G hd with 156 available
    >
    > I downloaded ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386
    > to my hd and then burned it onto a cd-r.
    >
    > I need to partition the hd but I do not see any tool under control panel
    > -> system and maintenance and the disk i burned is not bootable.

    If you can't download and burn an ISO image properly then go buy a linux
    CD from cheapbytes.com or easylinuxcds.com or linuxcd.org or so many
    other sites. You need a bootable "live" CD. It allows a proper test drive
    without affecting your HD, and has an Install icon that will start the
    partitioner and handle all the rest. CDs are cheap! You can afford it.

    > i would appreciate hints as to where to find information on partitioning
    > the hd and getting the cd to boot (the bios is set properly for cd boot)

    Defrag Vista first, then tell the partitioner to shrink the NTFS
    partition. Allocate maybe 100 GB disk for Ubuntu's root and I suggest 3GB
    for swap. Lots of leeway there! First you need a proper install CD!

  3. Re: vista dual boot

    peter wrote:

    > I need to partition the hd but I do not see any tool under control panel
    > -> system and maintenance and the disk i burned is not boot able.

    You've probably burned a coaster! The disk image you downloaded has to be
    put onto the disk as an ISO (disk image) file - if you have Nero, there is
    a "disk image" option, but the native Windows CD writer software doesn't
    allow this because you might be trying to do something sensible like
    replacing Windows with Linux!

    When you get your disk correctly burnt, boot from it, and when you get to
    the desktop, there's an "install" icon. The installer will ask you a
    number of questions (user names and passwords, etc) and will offer to
    partition your hard drive. it will report that it has detected "another
    OS", and ask if you want to keep it. It will then give a suggested
    partition layout, and give you the option to change it if you want.

    As long as you follow the instructions carefully, installation of Ubuntu
    is /easier/ than installing Windows!

    C.

  4. Re: vista dual boot

    On 2008-09-24, peter wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > a new guy here. I have been out of the UNIX loop for several years and
    > wish to get back the devel'r skills I had before. I read Hank's post
    > from Sept 15th but I have additional questions. In this light, I am
    > trying to install Ubuntu on a vista laptop :
    >
    > hp pavillion 9700
    > 3 G ram
    > 221 G hd with 156 available
    >
    > I downloaded
    >
    > ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386
    >
    > to my hd and then burned it onto a cd-r.
    >
    > I need to partition the hd but I do not see any tool under control panel
    > -> system and maintenance and the disk i burned is not boot able.
    >
    > i would appreciate hints as to where to find information on partitioning
    > the hd and getting the cd to boot (the bios is set properly for cd boot)

    The disc you burned is not bootable only if you burned it wrong. Do
    not save the .iso file to the CD. Instead, you need to burn the image
    to the CD. The image is a bootable liveCD, and once you boot into it,
    you can do all your resizing and partitioning from that...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  5. Re: vista dual boot

    Joe wrote:
    > On 2008-09-24, peter wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> a new guy here. I have been out of the UNIX loop for several years and
    >> wish to get back the devel'r skills I had before. I read Hank's post
    >> from Sept 15th but I have additional questions. In this light, I am
    >> trying to install Ubuntu on a vista laptop :
    >>
    >> hp pavillion 9700
    >> 3 G ram
    >> 221 G hd with 156 available
    >>
    >> I downloaded
    >>
    >> ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386
    >>
    >> to my hd and then burned it onto a cd-r.
    >>
    >> I need to partition the hd but I do not see any tool under control panel
    >> -> system and maintenance and the disk i burned is not boot able.
    >>
    >> i would appreciate hints as to where to find information on partitioning
    >> the hd and getting the cd to boot (the bios is set properly for cd boot)

    > The disc you burned is not bootable only if you burned it wrong. Do
    > not save the .iso file to the CD. Instead, you need to burn the image
    > to the CD. The image is a bootable liveCD, and once you boot into it,
    > you can do all your resizing and partitioning from that...

    make sure that your bios is set to boot from cd, or when you boot maybe
    you get "press F12 or F9 for boot menu" or something choose CDROM, if
    you already know this well then "never mind"

  6. Re: vista dual boot

    Joe wrote:
    > The disc you burned is not bootable only if you burned it wrong. Do
    > not save the .iso file to the CD. Instead, you need to burn the image
    > to the CD. The image is a bootable liveCD, and once you boot into it,
    > you can do all your resizing and partitioning from that...

    This makes a good case for using strictly RW disks and not the one time
    burn only.
    I have many coasters from bad burns and bad software, and the RW's are
    not that much more.
    As to the .iso file situation, I unrar'ed an iso file and burned a data
    disk which had the autorun.inf but that was in windows so I don't know
    'yet' if that works in Linux.
    Cheers,
    Bill Baka

  7. Re: vista dual boot

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:59:27 -0400, peter wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >a new guy here. I have been out of the UNIX loop for several years and
    >wish to get back the devel'r skills I had before. I read Hank's post
    >from Sept 15th but I have additional questions. In this light, I am
    >trying to install Ubuntu on a vista laptop :
    >
    >hp pavillion 9700
    > 3 G ram
    >221 G hd with 156 available
    >
    >I downloaded
    >
    >ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386
    >
    >to my hd and then burned it onto a cd-r.
    >
    >I need to partition the hd but I do not see any tool under control panel
    >-> system and maintenance and the disk i burned is not boot able.
    >
    >i would appreciate hints as to where to find information on partitioning
    >the hd and getting the cd to boot (the bios is set properly for cd boot)
    >
    >tia,
    >peter

    When you get the cd up, run WUBI on the Ubuntu cd from Vista and it
    will install as a Windows application but with dual boot. You can
    delete it like any other Windows application.

    It is great but I cannot get a Ubuntu wifi lan driver.

  8. Re: vista dual boot

    Bill Baka wrote:
    > Joe wrote:
    >
    >> The disc you burned is not bootable only if you burned it wrong.
    >> Do not save the .iso file to the CD. Instead, you need to burn
    >> the image to the CD. The image is a bootable liveCD, and once
    >> you boot into it, you can do all your resizing and partitioning
    >> from that...

    > This makes a good case for using strictly RW disks and not the one
    > time burn only. I have many coasters from bad burns and bad
    > software, and the RW's are not that much more. As to the .iso file
    > situation, I unrar'ed an iso file and burned a data disk which had
    > the autorun.inf but that was in windows so I don't know 'yet' if
    > that works in Linux.

    Why? You can't save the burn time, and the raw disk only cost you
    about a nickel. Seems to be cheaper to use it as a coaster or
    discard it.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  9. Re: vista dual boot

    hi,

    i have two follow up questions/issues, which would probably be better
    asked at a ms-win ng but since I am trying to deal with the win-vista
    virus on the laptop, I think here is better

    1) when I defrag, it says it may take several minutes to several hours
    and I see an activity wheel circling around but no other indication that
    anything is happening, (the previous windows versions had graphs). am I
    doing something wrong? In addition, when I leave defrag to run. the
    laptop goes to sleep or hibernate (sorry I do not know the correct
    terminology), how do I prevent that?

    2) ok how do I burn the image correctly? I simply drag and drop the
    down loaded file?

    thanks,
    peter

  10. Re: vista dual boot

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 08:45:39 -0400, peter wrote:

    > 2) ok how do I burn the image correctly? I simply drag and drop the
    > down loaded file?

    Usually that is what creates the coaster.
    You need to find the selection to burn an image.

    --------------- pre-recorded iso problem solutions follows ---------
    Some or all may apply to you.

    Always compare the md5sum on a iso download with the site's copy
    before burning to verify you had a good download. There should have
    been a md5sum file or sha1sum file in the same directory as the iso.

    md5sum --check md5sum_file_name_here
    or
    md5sum iso_name_here
    and compare the output of md5sum with the content's of the
    md5sum file.

    Micro$oft users could look here, in no particular order
    http://www.toast442.org/md5gui.shtml.
    http://www.md5summer.org or
    http://etree.org/md5com.html or
    http://www.google.com/search?q=md5sum%20dos

    Now if all you have is the sha1sum file you run

    sha1sum --check sha1sum_file_name_here

    For windows
    ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/binary/sha1sum.exe

    ************************************************** *******************
    CD-Recordable FAQ http://www.cdrfaq.org/ search for speed for some
    tips

    ************************************************** *******************

    From: "Don Rieck"
    Googling around today I found a post somewhere that suggested that some
    combinations of ABIT mobos and Creative CDRW's could cause problems in
    some situations. Sure enough - I disabled DMA on the CDRW's IDE channel,
    and successfully burned all three disks, at speeds of 1x, 4x, and 8x (kept
    notching it up, and it worked without a hitch).
    ************************************************** *******************

    Old burners have been known to have problems burning
    re-writables (CD-RW) hope you are using quality CD-Rs.
    You may have to use the 700 MB\80 Minute instead of 650 MB media.
    Old burners/software may have problems burning the 700+ iso images.

    Old cd readers may have problems reading the 700+ cds.

    Be sure that the you set your burner to what the blank
    cd write rating. Some people have problems burning CD-RWs below 3x.
    Verify your cd burner can burn a 700mb cd.
    You might want to check http://groups.google.com/advanced_search
    for your burner.

    Verify bios has boot from cdrom first in the boot order.
    Be sure bios has Plug and Play OS=no/off/false and
    Resources Allocation : Manual, if you cannot get AUTO to work.
    Disk drives are strapped Master/Slave not Cable select.

    Lots of people do not pick the correct options on their burning
    software and end up with an image file on the cd instead of the cd
    being an image of the file on the harddrive.

    http://www.e-smith.org/docs/howto/CD_burning_howto.php3
    http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/howtoburn.html
    http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#record-windows

    When you look on the burnt cd, the FIRST thing you should see are
    the directories and files. Mandrake as example only:

    autorun.inf images isolinux pkg-10.0-Official-download-i586.idx
    COPYING index.htm LICENSE.txt README.txt
    doc install.htm Mandrake release-notes.txt
    dosutils INSTALL.txt misc VERSION

    Please read
    to improve your linux usenet experience.

  11. Re: vista dual boot

    peter wrote:

    > I need to partition the hd but I do not see any tool under control panel
    > -> system and maintenance and the disk i burned is not boot able.

    http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm should do what you want.

  12. Re: vista dual boot

    peter wrote in news:TJLCk.1690$c45.865
    @nlpi065.nbdc.sbc.com:

    > hi,
    >
    > i have two follow up questions/issues, which would probably be better
    > asked at a ms-win ng but since I am trying to deal with the win-vista
    > virus on the laptop, I think here is better
    >
    > 1) when I defrag, it says it may take several minutes to several hours
    > and I see an activity wheel circling around but no other indication

    that
    > anything is happening, (the previous windows versions had graphs).

    FWIW, it does that here too.

    > doing something wrong? In addition, when I leave defrag to run. the
    > laptop goes to sleep or hibernate (sorry I do not know the correct
    > terminology), how do I prevent that?

    Control Panel -> Power Options

    > 2) ok how do I burn the image correctly? I simply drag and drop the
    > down loaded file?

    Make sure that the burning software you are using recognizes ISO
    format...after that is should be a simple matter of right clicking the
    ISO file name in your file manager and using "Open" or "Open With". If
    you have Firefox installed, you can also drag the file to the firefox
    icon, which will then open and point you to the default burning program.

  13. Re: vista dual boot

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > Bill Baka wrote:
    >

    >> This makes a good case for using strictly RW disks and not the one
    >> time burn only. I have many coasters from bad burns and bad
    >> software, and the RW's are not that much more. As to the .iso file
    >> situation, I unrar'ed an iso file and burned a data disk which had
    >> the autorun.inf but that was in windows so I don't know 'yet' if
    >> that works in Linux.
    >>

    > Why? You can't save the burn time, and the raw disk only cost you
    > about a nickel. Seems to be cheaper to use it as a coaster or
    > discard it.

    That is pretty much where my non-RW disks went, discard pile.
    With the RW, even if there is a bad spot I can format for DVD-RAM use.
    When a new release comes out I can update the DVD/CD and make a new
    boot/utility disk.
    It's just the way I do things and may not be right for someone else.
    Bill Baka

  14. Re: vista dual boot

    "peter" wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > a new guy here. I have been out of the UNIX loop for several years and
    > wish to get back the devel'r skills I had before. I read Hank's post from
    > Sept 15th but I have additional questions. In this light, I am trying to
    > install Ubuntu on a vista laptop :
    >
    > hp pavillion 9700
    > 3 G ram
    > 221 G hd with 156 available
    >
    > I downloaded
    >
    > ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386
    >
    > to my hd and then burned it onto a cd-r.
    >
    > I need to partition the hd but I do not see any tool under control
    > panel -> system and maintenance and the disk i burned is not boot able.
    >
    > i would appreciate hints as to where to find information on partitioning
    > the hd and getting the cd to boot (the bios is set properly for cd boot)
    >
    > tia,
    > peter

    Dual boot Suse, Vista.
    Suse is a stable, usable linux distro.
    Ubuntu is a joke...crashes everything.

    --
    Ens causa sui
    Fit caedes omnibus locis

  15. Re: vista dual boot

    peter wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > a new guy here. I have been out of the UNIX loop for several years and
    > wish to get back the devel'r skills I had before. I read Hank's post
    > from Sept 15th but I have additional questions. In this light, I am
    > trying to install Ubuntu on a vista laptop :
    >
    > hp pavillion 9700
    > 3 G ram
    > 221 G hd with 156 available
    >
    > I downloaded
    >
    > ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386
    >
    > to my hd and then burned it onto a cd-r.
    >
    > I need to partition the hd but I do not see any tool under control panel
    > -> system and maintenance and the disk i burned is not boot able.
    >
    > i would appreciate hints as to where to find information on partitioning
    > the hd and getting the cd to boot (the bios is set properly for cd boot)
    >
    > tia,
    > peter

    after you down the cd, it will be in iso format. Then burn it with
    something like Nero Rom or there are free iso burning programs that
    you can find with google. You also have to set your Bios to boot
    from cd/dvd as your first boot option. Your bootup screen often tells
    you what key to tap in order to enter Bios and edit your boot order.

  16. Re: vista dual boot

    "Stephen Harris" wrote:
    > after you down the cd, it will be in iso format. Then burn it with
    > something like Nero Rom or there are free iso burning programs that
    > you can find with google...

    I used ISOrecorder, a free downloadable ISO-burning utility that
    runs under Windows, and it worked well for me. Get ISOrecorder
    here: http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm .

    *TimDaniels*

  17. Re: vista dual boot

    Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > "Stephen Harris" wrote:
    >
    >> after you down the cd, it will be in iso format. Then burn it with
    >> something like Nero Rom or there are free iso burning programs that
    >> you can find with google...
    >>

    > I used ISOrecorder, a free downloadable ISO-burning utility that
    > runs under Windows, and it worked well for me. Get ISOrecorder
    > here: http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm .
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    It looks good, but damn, it is a windows program. If it will run on a VM
    then maybe it is OK.
    Bill Baka

+ Reply to Thread