Ubuntu killed my hard drive! - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu killed my hard drive! - Ubuntu ; Okay, not really but I went for the trial "run from CD" option without installation and whilst that worked fine, now windows won't boot! The problem came when I shut the PC down (following instructions). My computer will not now ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

  1. Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    Okay, not really but I went for the trial "run from CD" option without
    installation and whilst that worked fine, now windows won't boot!

    The problem came when I shut the PC down (following instructions). My
    computer will not now boot into Windows (XP). It always hangs during bootup
    showing the windows logo but no HD activity.

    It *will* boot into safe mode but a system restore has made no difference,
    it still won't boot up into windows.

    Ubuntu seems to have corrupted something basic in the boot sector (I'm
    guessing).

    Is there any way I can repair it short of a running the full windows
    installation repair option?

    I know how to load the recovery console but not how to use it. I know it
    does offer boot sector repair but the syntax is a bit beyond me.

    Help!

    TIA

    Tim
    timdownie is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

  2. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:43:16 +0100, Tim Downie wrote:

    > Okay, not really but I went for the trial "run from CD" option without
    > installation and whilst that worked fine, now windows won't boot!
    >
    > The problem came when I shut the PC down (following instructions). My
    > computer will not now boot into Windows (XP). It always hangs during
    > bootup showing the windows logo but no HD activity.
    >
    > It *will* boot into safe mode but a system restore has made no
    > difference, it still won't boot up into windows.
    >
    > Ubuntu seems to have corrupted something basic in the boot sector (I'm
    > guessing).

    Guess again. If /all/ you've done is run the live CD then /nothing/ on
    you hard drive has been altered. The drive isn't even mounted for the
    live desktop: it's not read from nor can it be written to. Did you alter
    BIOS to allow bootup from CD? Is windows trying to read from a CD or USB
    device and hanging? If it's getting as far as the Win logo then its not
    the 'something basic in the boot sector', it's already gone past that.

  3. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    Tim Downie wrote:

    > Ubuntu seems to have corrupted something basic in the boot sector (I'm
    > guessing).

    Then it would not boot to the Win splash...
    --
    Optimismus ist nur Mangel an Information. - John Priestley

  4. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:43:16 +0100, Tim Downie wrote:

    > Okay, not really but I went for the trial "run from CD" option without
    > installation and whilst that worked fine, now windows won't boot!
    >
    > The problem came when I shut the PC down (following instructions). My
    > computer will not now boot into Windows (XP). It always hangs during bootup
    > showing the windows logo but no HD activity.
    >
    > It *will* boot into safe mode but a system restore has made no difference,
    > it still won't boot up into windows.
    >
    > Ubuntu seems to have corrupted something basic in the boot sector (I'm
    > guessing).

    No, Ubuntu hasn't corrupted anything. *IF* you simply ran the live-CD,
    then there is NO WAY that anything got written to the hard drive,
    including the boot sector.

    You're just another ignorant ****ing Win-droid looking to start a nice
    troll thread. Bugger off and leave, dimwit. Go format your ****ing hard
    drive and reinstall Windoze, and then jump off a ****ing bridge and die.

  5. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    "Derek Turner" wrote in message
    > On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:43:16 +0100, Tim Downie wrote:
    >
    >> Okay, not really but I went for the trial "run from CD" option without
    >> installation and whilst that worked fine, now windows won't boot!
    >>
    >> The problem came when I shut the PC down (following instructions). My
    >> computer will not now boot into Windows (XP). It always hangs during
    >> bootup showing the windows logo but no HD activity.
    >>
    >> It *will* boot into safe mode but a system restore has made no
    >> difference, it still won't boot up into windows.
    >>
    >> Ubuntu seems to have corrupted something basic in the boot sector (I'm
    >> guessing).

    > Guess again. If /all/ you've done is run the live CD then /nothing/ on
    > you hard drive has been altered. The drive isn't even mounted for the
    > live desktop: it's not read from nor can it be written to. Did you alter
    > BIOS to allow bootup from CD? Is windows trying to read from a CD or USB
    > device and hanging? If it's getting as far as the Win logo then its not
    > the 'something basic in the boot sector', it's already gone past that.

    Okay, so what is it?

    Tim

  6. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    "Dan C" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.09.24.16.25.49.551220@moria.lan...
    > On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:43:16 +0100, Tim Downie wrote:
    >
    >> Okay, not really but I went for the trial "run from CD" option without
    >> installation and whilst that worked fine, now windows won't boot!
    >>
    >> The problem came when I shut the PC down (following instructions). My
    >> computer will not now boot into Windows (XP). It always hangs during
    >> bootup
    >> showing the windows logo but no HD activity.
    >>
    >> It *will* boot into safe mode but a system restore has made no
    >> difference,
    >> it still won't boot up into windows.
    >>
    >> Ubuntu seems to have corrupted something basic in the boot sector (I'm
    >> guessing).

    > No, Ubuntu hasn't corrupted anything. *IF* you simply ran the live-CD,
    > then there is NO WAY that anything got written to the hard drive,
    > including the boot sector.
    >
    > You're just another ignorant ****ing Win-droid looking to start a nice
    > troll thread. Bugger off and leave, dimwit. Go format your ****ing hard
    > drive and reinstall Windoze, and then jump off a ****ing bridge and die.

    Well that's a nice way to say hello.

    As I think I said "I'm guessing". I readily admit to not knowing how this
    stuff works but the fact is, after one runnig of the Ubuntu trail, my PC has
    stopped booting.

    I haven't a clue why and thought someone here might have a clue. Clearly
    you haven't a fecking clue either. Now it probably time for you to run
    along and hand your computer back to your parents. Do they know you're
    using it?

    Tosser.

    Tim

  7. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:43:16 +0100, Tim Downie wrote:
    >> Okay, not really but I went for the trial "run from CD" option without
    >> installation and whilst that worked fine, now windows won't boot!

    > You're just another ignorant ****ing Win-droid looking to start a nice
    > troll thread.

    Shame we all have to read insulting rubbish from Dan, ignore him.

    Re your problem, have you tried booting the ubuntu live CD again to see
    what happens.

    Geoff Lane

  8. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    Tim Downie wrote:
    > Okay, not really but I went for the trial "run from CD" option without
    > installation and whilst that worked fine, now windows won't boot!
    >
    > The problem came when I shut the PC down (following instructions). My
    > computer will not now boot into Windows (XP). It always hangs during
    > bootup showing the windows logo but no HD activity.
    >
    > It *will* boot into safe mode but a system restore has made no
    > difference, it still won't boot up into windows.
    >
    > Ubuntu seems to have corrupted something basic in the boot sector (I'm
    > guessing).
    >
    > Is there any way I can repair it short of a running the full windows
    > installation repair option?
    >
    > I know how to load the recovery console but not how to use it. I know it
    > does offer boot sector repair but the syntax is a bit beyond me.
    >
    > Help!
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Tim
    > timdownie is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

    Whatever did this was not Ubuntu. Your computer has other issues. Try
    this: turn off your computer. Pull the plug from the computer to the
    electric socket. Wait a minute or two. Plug it back in. Restart the
    computer. Also, you did remove the Ubuntu CD from your optical drive, right?

    Ignore people like Dan C. Most everyone here don't share his bedside manner.

    Alias

  9. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    "Geoff Lane" wrote in message
    > Dan C wrote:
    >> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:43:16 +0100, Tim Downie wrote:
    >>> Okay, not really but I went for the trial "run from CD" option without
    >>> installation and whilst that worked fine, now windows won't boot!

    >> You're just another ignorant ****ing Win-droid looking to start a nice
    >> troll thread.

    > Shame we all have to read insulting rubbish from Dan, ignore him.
    >
    > Re your problem, have you tried booting the ubuntu live CD again to see
    > what happens.

    Yep. That works fine. It just won't boot back into Windows.

    Tim

  10. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    "Tim Downie" wrote in

    > "Derek Turner" wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:43:16 +0100, Tim Downie wrote:
    >>
    >>> Okay, not really but I went for the trial "run from CD" option

    without
    >>> installation and whilst that worked fine, now windows won't boot!
    >>>
    >>> The problem came when I shut the PC down (following instructions).

    A person could just hit the computer power switch to shut down a LiveCD
    session without any adverse reactions....done it myself numerous times.

    > My
    >>> computer will not now boot into Windows (XP). It always hangs during
    >>> bootup showing the windows logo but no HD activity.

    Was your reboot into windows directly after exiting the LiveCD
    session....or the next morning, for example? If the morning after, for
    example, then the problem could be caused by an overnight program or
    system update.

    >>> It *will* boot into safe mode but a system restore has made no
    >>> difference, it still won't boot up into windows.

    Booting into Safe Mode is booting into Windows....just without certain
    drivers and/or networking etc being loaded.

    From your description, it sounds like the bootup sequence is hanging up
    on a driver.

    Some things to try (listed in no particular order).........

    Use the F8 options to step through the bootup sequence.
    Run malware/virus scanners from Safe Mode.
    Disable /reinable drivers
    Uninstall newly installed software / hardware
    Check to see if your system was updated (ie Windows Automatic Update)
    etc.

    ............and just in case the LiveCD session wasn't entirely "live".
    check to see if there is a Ubuntu directory on your hard drive; IIRC
    there shouldn't be if the LiveCD was booted directly from the CD/DVD
    unit and not from inside Windows.

  11. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 17:41:07 +0100, Geoff Lane wrote:

    >> You're just another ignorant ****ing Win-droid looking to start a nice
    >> troll thread.

    > Shame we all have to read insulting rubbish from Dan, ignore him.

    No, it's a shame we Linux users have to read the rubbish from the trolling
    Win-droids.

    Like you, for example. Bugger off, Win-droid.

  12. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 17:41:07 +0100, Geoff Lane wrote:
    >
    >>> You're just another ignorant ****ing Win-droid looking to start a nice
    >>> troll thread.

    >> Shame we all have to read insulting rubbish from Dan, ignore him.

    > No, it's a shame we Linux users have to read the rubbish from the trolling
    > Win-droids.

    > Like you, for example. Bugger off, Win-droid.

    And you're not using Ubuntu so bugger off yourself!

    Alias

  13. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    Em Quarta, 24 de Setembro de 2008 16:43, Tim Downie escreveu:

    > Okay, not really but I went for the trial "run from CD" option without
    > installation and whilst that worked fine, now windows won't boot!
    >
    > The problem came when I shut the PC down (following instructions). My
    > computer will not now boot into Windows (XP). It always hangs during
    > bootup showing the windows logo but no HD activity.
    >
    > It *will* boot into safe mode but a system restore has made no difference,
    > it still won't boot up into windows.
    >
    > Ubuntu seems to have corrupted something basic in the boot sector (I'm
    > guessing).

    No, if that was the case, you would not see windows trying to start at all,
    no banner, no nothing...

    your windows died from other reasons
    privious installation of some prog or system updates?

    did you delete any files on the disk while trying the ubuntu live-cd?

    > Is there any way I can repair it short of a running the full windows
    > installation repair option?

    dificult to answer since windows never shows any messages while booting, and
    without messages it is dificult to see why it's not starting.

    > I know how to load the recovery console but not how to use it. I know it
    > does offer boot sector repair but the syntax is a bit beyond me.

    no boot sector repair needed, you need to repair your OS windows maybe with
    your windows cd.

  14. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    ArameFarpado wrote:
    > Em Quarta, 24 de Setembro de 2008 16:43, Tim Downie escreveu:
    >
    > > Okay, not really but I went for the trial "run from CD" option
    > > without installation and whilst that worked fine, now windows won't
    > > boot!
    > >
    > > The problem came when I shut the PC down (following instructions).
    > > My computer will not now boot into Windows (XP). It always hangs
    > > during bootup showing the windows logo but no HD activity.
    > >
    > > It *will* boot into safe mode but a system restore has made no
    > > difference, it still won't boot up into windows.
    > >
    > > Ubuntu seems to have corrupted something basic in the boot sector
    > > (I'm guessing).

    > No, if that was the case, you would not see windows trying to start
    > at all, no banner, no nothing...
    >
    > your windows died from other reasons
    > privious installation of some prog or system updates?
    >
    > did you delete any files on the disk while trying the ubuntu live-cd?
    >
    > > Is there any way I can repair it short of a running the full windows
    > > installation repair option?

    > dificult to answer since windows never shows any messages while
    > booting, and without messages it is dificult to see why it's not
    > starting.
    >
    > > I know how to load the recovery console but not how to use it. I
    > > know it does offer boot sector repair but the syntax is a bit
    > > beyond me.

    > no boot sector repair needed, you need to repair your OS windows
    > maybe with your windows cd.

    Well I've done the repair with the windows CD and everything seems fine now.
    I didn't do anything odd or make any system changes, update anything etc.
    between shutting down and rebooting so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what
    happened and why.

    Tim

  15. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    Em Quarta, 24 de Setembro de 2008 20:36, Tim Downie escreveu:

    > Well I've done the repair with the windows CD and everything seems fine

    Good

    > now. I didn't do anything odd or make any system changes, update anything
    > etc. between shutting down and rebooting so I'm at a bit of a loss as to
    > what happened and why.

    And i believe that none of us will be able to tell you that...

    best regards

  16. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:43:16 +0100, Tim Downie wrote:

    > Okay, not really but I went for the trial "run from CD" option without
    > installation and whilst that worked fine, now windows won't boot!
    >
    > The problem came when I shut the PC down (following instructions). My
    > computer will not now boot into Windows (XP). It always hangs during
    > bootup showing the windows logo but no HD activity.
    >
    > It *will* boot into safe mode but a system restore has made no
    > difference, it still won't boot up into windows.
    >
    > Ubuntu seems to have corrupted something basic in the boot sector (I'm
    > guessing).
    >
    > Is there any way I can repair it short of a running the full windows
    > installation repair option?
    >
    > I know how to load the recovery console but not how to use it. I know it
    > does offer boot sector repair but the syntax is a bit beyond me.
    >
    > Help!
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Tim
    > timdownie is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

    If you can boot into Windows safe mode as you say, then the drive is ok.
    Safe Mode in Windows is merely Windows without a host of drivers being
    loaded. It sounds as if you might have a damaged registry. Here is a
    suggestion: Run "chkdsk c: /r" (without the quotes from the command line.
    Which version of windows are you running (Hopefully XP), if it is Vista,
    good luck.

  17. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    Tim Downie illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Okay, not really but I went for the trial "run from CD" option without
    > installation and whilst that worked fine, now windows won't boot!
    >
    > The problem came when I shut the PC down (following instructions). My
    > computer will not now boot into Windows (XP). It always hangs during bootup
    > showing the windows logo but no HD activity.
    >
    > It *will* boot into safe mode but a system restore has made no difference,
    > it still won't boot up into windows.
    >
    > Ubuntu seems to have corrupted something basic in the boot sector (I'm
    > guessing).
    >
    > Is there any way I can repair it short of a running the full windows
    > installation repair option?
    >
    > I know how to load the recovery console but not how to use it. I know it
    > does offer boot sector repair but the syntax is a bit beyond me.

    You have some sort of corrupted file in your windows installation. Have
    you previously "uncleanly" closed down windows?

    As an aside, it is highly unlikley anything was caused by the LiveCD.
    It is probably just a coincidence.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  18. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    "Tim Downie" said:
    > Okay, not really but I went for the trial "run from CD" option
    > without installation and whilst that worked fine, now windows won't
    > boot!
    >
    > The problem came when I shut the PC down (following instructions). My
    > computer will not now boot into Windows (XP). It always hangs during
    > bootup showing the windows logo but no HD activity.

    HA1 Welcome to Windows. It wants you to upgrade to Vister.

    Cybe R. Wizard
    --
    Nice computers don't go down.
    Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

  19. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    "Tim Downie" said:
    > Okay, so what is it?
    >
    > Tim

    Maybe try asking on a Windows group?

    Cybe R. Wizard
    --
    Nice computers don't go down.
    Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

  20. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    On 2008-09-24, Tim Downie wrote:

    > "Derek Turner" wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:43:16 +0100, Tim Downie wrote:
    >>
    >>> Okay, not really but I went for the trial "run from CD" option without
    >>> installation and whilst that worked fine, now windows won't boot!
    >>>
    >>> The problem came when I shut the PC down (following instructions). My
    >>> computer will not now boot into Windows (XP). It always hangs during
    >>> bootup showing the windows logo but no HD activity.
    >>>
    >>> It *will* boot into safe mode but a system restore has made no
    >>> difference, it still won't boot up into windows.
    >>>
    >>> Ubuntu seems to have corrupted something basic in the boot sector (I'm
    >>> guessing).

    >> Guess again. If /all/ you've done is run the live CD then /nothing/ on
    >> you hard drive has been altered. The drive isn't even mounted for the
    >> live desktop: it's not read from nor can it be written to. Did you alter
    >> BIOS to allow bootup from CD? Is windows trying to read from a CD or USB
    >> device and hanging? If it's getting as far as the Win logo then its not
    >> the 'something basic in the boot sector', it's already gone past that.

    > Okay, so what is it?
    >
    > Tim

    This may be a foolish question, but when you booted using the Live CD,
    and then normally, was the "normal" boot the first in a while? Like
    since one of the wonderful automatic updates may have been installed
    thus borking your system, but not until you reboot?

    --
    Do you twitter? http://twitter.com
    Do you want to be a cranky geek? http://www.crankygeeks.com/

+ Reply to Thread