Ubuntu killed my hard drive! - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu killed my hard drive! - Ubuntu ; On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 22:09:34 +0100, Geoff Lane wrote: > Tim Downie wrote: > >> Well I've done the repair with the windows CD and everything seems fine >> now. I didn't do anything odd or make any system ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Thread: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

  1. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 22:09:34 +0100, Geoff Lane wrote:

    > Tim Downie wrote:
    >
    >> Well I've done the repair with the windows CD and everything seems fine
    >> now. I didn't do anything odd or make any system changes, update
    >> anything etc. between shutting down and rebooting so I'm at a bit of a
    >> loss as to what happened and why.

    >
    > Hope this hasn't put you off of trying Ubuntu again. As most have
    > emphasized, running the liveCD cannot affect your current installation.
    >
    > Pure coincidence.
    >
    > Geoff Lane


    Just as a side point. You do not need a hard drive to boot and run a live
    CD. I read that somewhere and tried it for myself. It just doesn't need
    or use the hard drive.

  2. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    Tim Downie wrote:

    > Well I've done the repair with the windows CD and everything seems fine now.
    > I didn't do anything odd or make any system changes, update anything etc.
    > between shutting down and rebooting so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what
    > happened and why.


    Hope this hasn't put you off of trying Ubuntu again. As most have
    emphasized, running the liveCD cannot affect your current installation.

    Pure coincidence.

    Geoff Lane

  3. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    Tim Downie wrote:
    >
    > "Dan C" wrote in message
    > newsan.2008.09.24.16.25.49.551220@moria.lan...
    >> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:43:16 +0100, Tim Downie wrote:
    >>
    >>> Okay, not really but I went for the trial "run from CD" option without
    >>> installation and whilst that worked fine, now windows won't boot!
    >>>
    >>> The problem came when I shut the PC down (following instructions). My
    >>> computer will not now boot into Windows (XP). It always hangs during
    >>> bootup
    >>> showing the windows logo but no HD activity.
    >>>
    >>> It *will* boot into safe mode but a system restore has made no
    >>> difference,
    >>> it still won't boot up into windows.
    >>>
    >>> Ubuntu seems to have corrupted something basic in the boot sector (I'm
    >>> guessing).

    >>
    >> No, Ubuntu hasn't corrupted anything. *IF* you simply ran the live-CD,
    >> then there is NO WAY that anything got written to the hard drive,
    >> including the boot sector.
    >>
    >> You're just another ignorant ****ing Win-droid looking to start a nice
    >> troll thread. Bugger off and leave, dimwit. Go format your ****ing
    >> hard
    >> drive and reinstall Windoze, and then jump off a ****ing bridge and die.

    >
    > Well that's a nice way to say hello.
    >
    > As I think I said "I'm guessing". I readily admit to not knowing how
    > this stuff works but the fact is, after one runnig of the Ubuntu
    > trail, my PC has stopped booting.
    >
    > I haven't a clue why and thought someone here might have a clue.
    > Clearly you haven't a fecking clue either. Now it probably time for
    > you to run along and hand your computer back to your parents. Do they
    > know you're using it?
    >
    > Tosser.
    >
    > Tim
    >

    I see our resident jerk is still in his usual form.
    Ignore Dan C.
    He lives to insult and never contributes.
    Bill Baka

  4. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 17:41:07 +0100, Geoff Lane wrote:
    >
    >
    >>> You're just another ignorant ****ing Win-droid looking to start a nice
    >>> troll thread.
    >>>

    >
    >
    >> Shame we all have to read insulting rubbish from Dan, ignore him.
    >>

    >
    > No, it's a shame we Linux users have to read the rubbish from the trolling
    > Win-droids.
    >
    >
    >> User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.16 (Windows/20080708)
    >>

    >
    > Like you, for example. Bugger off, Win-droid.
    >
    >
    >

    If I reply from Suse or Red Hat does that make me a 'Non-ubuntu droid'?
    Every group seems to attract at least one 'Dan C' personality.
    Next message...
    Bill Baka

  5. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
    > "Tim Downie" said:
    >
    >> Okay, not really but I went for the trial "run from CD" option
    >> without installation and whilst that worked fine, now windows won't
    >> boot!
    >>
    >> The problem came when I shut the PC down (following instructions). My
    >> computer will not now boot into Windows (XP). It always hangs during
    >> bootup showing the windows logo but no HD activity.
    >>

    >
    > HA1 Welcome to Windows. It wants you to upgrade to Vister.
    >
    > Cybe R. Wizard
    >

    I have had XP get to the splash screen and hang several times, and most
    of them, when I booted text mode, were hanging at HAL.DLL, which I think
    is Hardware Abstraction Layer, and that is definitely a windows glitch.
    My solution has been just to re-install XP rather than beat myself up
    over it. Two friends who use windows have also run into this problem and
    also had to do a re-install.
    If you downgrade to Vista all bets are off.
    Very few people here are dumb enough to actually spend $$$ for a broken OS.
    Bill Baka

  6. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:23:21 -0500, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

    > "Tim Downie" said:
    >> Okay, so what is it?
    >>
    >> Tim

    >
    > Maybe try asking on a Windows group?
    >
    > Cybe R. Wizard


    They will tell him it was linus's fault.

  7. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    Bill Baka wrote:

    > I see our resident jerk is still in his usual form.
    > Ignore Dan C.
    > He lives to insult and never contributes.


    Strangely enough, some while ago Dan C was a useful contributor to this and
    other groups. More recently, he's lost the plot and just become abusive.
    Perhaps he stopped taking his meds!

    Just killfile the moron!

    C.


  8. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    Arnold wrote:

    > Just as a side point. You do not need a hard drive to boot and run a live
    > CD. I read that somewhere and tried it for myself. It just doesn't need
    > or use the hard drive.


    As another side point - if you try a tiny Linux like Puppy, you can run the
    whole thing from RAM! It takes a few minutes to decompress the files into
    your RAM, then whoosh! You should try it - you can even unplug your hard
    disk!

    C.

  9. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    In article , jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    >On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:23:21 -0500, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
    >
    >> "Tim Downie" said:
    >>> Okay, so what is it?
    >>>
    >>> Tim

    >>
    >> Maybe try asking on a Windows group?
    >>
    >> Cybe R. Wizard

    >
    >They will tell him it was linus's fault.


    Probably ... but they are still wrong.

  10. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    In article <6jv8i8F55htsU2@mid.individual.net>, "Tim Downie" wrote:
    >"Dan C" wrote in message

    (snip)
    >Well that's a nice way to say hello.


    Just ignore Dan ... most here do.

  11. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 11:43:16 -0400, Tim Downie
    wrote:

    > Okay, not really but I went for the trial "run from CD" option without
    > installation and whilst that worked fine, now windows won't boot!
    >
    > The problem came when I shut the PC down (following instructions). My
    > computer will not now boot into Windows (XP). It always hangs during
    > bootup showing the windows logo but no HD activity.
    >
    > It *will* boot into safe mode but a system restore has made no
    > difference, it still won't boot up into windows.
    >
    > Ubuntu seems to have corrupted something basic in the boot sector (I'm
    > guessing).
    >
    > Is there any way I can repair it short of a running the full windows
    > installation repair option?
    >
    > I know how to load the recovery console but not how to use it. I know it
    > does offer boot sector repair but the syntax is a bit beyond me.
    >
    > Help!
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Tim
    > timdownie is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message


    I'm late to this thread, but glad to see you managed to repair your XP
    installation.

    Even without having previously run an Ubuntu Live-CD, I've had XP stall on
    start-up, badly enough at times that only powering down the machine (by
    brute force -- that is, depressing the [Power] button for five or more
    seconds) did anything useful (keyboard dead, no cursor visible, mouse
    ineffectual).

    Every time, I managed to recover by quickly hitting the [F-8] key when
    turning the machine on again, and choosing the option, "Last known good
    configuration."

    You just might remember to try that the next time this happens to you
    (though with any luck it *won't* happen again :-) ).

    Cheers, and don't let the scurrilous riff-raff get you down,

    -- tlvp

  12. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:05:58 -0500, LittleGorm wrote:

    > On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:43:16 +0100, Tim Downie wrote:
    >
    >> Okay, not really but I went for the trial "run from CD" option without
    >> installation and whilst that worked fine, now windows won't boot!
    >>
    >> The problem came when I shut the PC down (following instructions). My
    >> computer will not now boot into Windows (XP). It always hangs during
    >> bootup showing the windows logo but no HD activity.
    >>
    >> It *will* boot into safe mode but a system restore has made no
    >> difference, it still won't boot up into windows.
    >>
    >> Ubuntu seems to have corrupted something basic in the boot sector (I'm
    >> guessing).
    >>
    >> Is there any way I can repair it short of a running the full windows
    >> installation repair option?
    >>
    >> I know how to load the recovery console but not how to use it. I know it
    >> does offer boot sector repair but the syntax is a bit beyond me.
    >>
    >> Help!
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Tim
    >> timdownie is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

    >
    > If you can boot into Windows safe mode as you say, then the drive is ok.
    > Safe Mode in Windows is merely Windows without a host of drivers being
    > loaded. It sounds as if you might have a damaged registry. Here is a
    > suggestion: Run "chkdsk c: /r" (without the quotes from the command line.
    > Which version of windows are you running (Hopefully XP), if it is Vista,
    > good luck.


    We have a winner!

    The key that the MBR is in tact is that it boots to the point where he can
    select safe mode.

    The other thing he can do is go to hit the key for safe mode (F8?) and then
    watch the messages going by and see what it hangs on when it's loading
    drivers, dlls etc.

    If it's Vista forget what I said, I haven't had much experience with Vista.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  13. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:22:39 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:

    > Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
    >> "Tim Downie" said:
    >>
    >>> Okay, not really but I went for the trial "run from CD" option
    >>> without installation and whilst that worked fine, now windows won't
    >>> boot!
    >>>
    >>> The problem came when I shut the PC down (following instructions). My
    >>> computer will not now boot into Windows (XP). It always hangs during
    >>> bootup showing the windows logo but no HD activity.
    >>>

    >>
    >> HA1 Welcome to Windows. It wants you to upgrade to Vister.
    >>
    >> Cybe R. Wizard
    >>

    > I have had XP get to the splash screen and hang several times, and most
    > of them, when I booted text mode, were hanging at HAL.DLL, which I think
    > is Hardware Abstraction Layer, and that is definitely a windows glitch.
    > My solution has been just to re-install XP rather than beat myself up
    > over it. Two friends who use windows have also run into this problem and
    > also had to do a re-install.
    > If you downgrade to Vista all bets are off.
    > Very few people here are dumb enough to actually spend $$$ for a broken OS.
    > Bill Baka


    I've seen the one where the log on screen comes up and keeps cycling over
    and over again saying "Loading Profile" or something like that.

    Re-install was the only way around it, unfortunately.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  14. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:14:46 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:

    >> No, it's a shame we Linux users have to read the rubbish from the trolling
    >> Win-droids.


    > If I reply from Suse or Red Hat does that make me a 'Non-ubuntu droid'?


    No, it makes you a dimwit. Oh, wait. You're that regardless.

    > Every group seems to attract at least one 'Dan C' personality.


    You advise others to ignore me, and yet you don't do it yourself. Are you
    a Democrat?


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org


  15. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in
    news:13rp9v0mnranu.hlw06y97d7g9.dlg@40tude.net:

    > The other thing he can do is go to hit the key for safe mode (F8?) and
    > then watch the messages going by and see what it hangs on when it's
    > loading drivers, dlls etc.


    Not quite correct.......F8 brings up a selection menu of which one item is
    booting into "Safe Mode" of which there are two options, with or without
    networking. What you are describing is what I have always known as "Step
    Mode" (don't know if that is the "proper" term or not) which gives the user
    a choice of booting certain files (drivers etc) that are part of the normal
    boot process into a regular Windows session. There is also a "commandline
    session" choice available through the F8 menu. :-)




  16. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    Dan C wrote:
    > You advise others to ignore me, and yet you don't do it yourself. Are you
    > a Democrat?
    >
    >

    Damn straight!

    I haven't blocked you because, in spite of your best efforts, you are
    kind of amusing, in a sorry kind of way.

    So exactly how do you post with a straight jacket???

    Bill Baka

    No cussing, just calling it like it is.

  17. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!



    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message
    news:13rp9v0mnranu.hlw06y97d7g9.dlg@40tude.net...

    8<

    > If it's Vista forget what I said, I haven't had much experience with
    > Vista.


    I think you will find its the same.. boot from the windows cd and select
    repair.
    There is the system file checker on vista that may fix the problem before
    using the CD.

    System restore will only work if windows did the change as something has to
    record the change for it to be undone and I don't think Ubuntu or any other
    linux driver does so.

    It could be a symptom of a disk problem so a check on the SMART status would
    be wise.


  18. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 04:03:31 +0000 (UTC), propman wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in
    > news:13rp9v0mnranu.hlw06y97d7g9.dlg@40tude.net:
    >
    >> The other thing he can do is go to hit the key for safe mode (F8?) and
    >> then watch the messages going by and see what it hangs on when it's
    >> loading drivers, dlls etc.

    >
    > Not quite correct.......F8 brings up a selection menu of which one item is
    > booting into "Safe Mode" of which there are two options, with or without
    > networking. What you are describing is what I have always known as "Step
    > Mode" (don't know if that is the "proper" term or not) which gives the user
    > a choice of booting certain files (drivers etc) that are part of the normal
    > boot process into a regular Windows session. There is also a "commandline
    > session" choice available through the F8 menu. :-)


    Yes.
    Thanks for the correction!

    I was referring to the F8 command Line boot.
    You can't choose to load/not load drivers (I think?) however you can watch
    them scroll by and see where it hangs.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  19. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    On 2008-09-24, Geoff Lane hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Dan C wrote:




    > Shame we all have to read insulting rubbish from Dan, ignore him.


    If you hadn't quoted him, others who kill-filed him wouldn't
    even see *what* he wrote. So next time *cut* Dan's crap
    you're responding to.

    >
    >
    > Geoff Lane



    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    "When science discovers the center of the universe, a lot of
    people will be disappointed to find they are not it."
    >> Bernard Baily <<


  20. Re: Ubuntu killed my hard drive!

    Christopher Hunter avait prétendu :
    > Arnold wrote:


    >> Just as a side point. You do not need a hard drive to boot and run a live
    >> CD. I read that somewhere and tried it for myself. It just doesn't need
    >> or use the hard drive.


    > As another side point - if you try a tiny Linux like Puppy, you can run the
    > whole thing from RAM! It takes a few minutes to decompress the files into
    > your RAM, then whoosh! You should try it - you can even unplug your hard
    > disk!


    > C.

    Very true, I am a happy user of Puppy Linux.
    It's truely progressing.
    But this doesn't take away that (K)Ubuntu is a nice distro as well.
    I tried it in a qemu environment both Kubuntu and Ubuntu.
    I liked it pretty well, altho a bit heavy compared to PuppyLinux.

    As for not using a HDD, it's quite possible, but if you want to preserve
    personal settings and data you need either a save to CD/DVD approach or a save
    to some flash memory media.

    --
    *Belgische Ardennen - Ardennes Belge




+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2