Multi-machine performance monitoring proggy? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Multi-machine performance monitoring proggy? - Ubuntu ; I want to watch performance (mostly load average) on approximately 30 ubuntu machines, from an ubuntu machine. I have root access to all of them. Is there some program that lets me do it? Kind of like xload on steroids? ...

  1. Multi-machine performance monitoring proggy?

    I want to watch performance (mostly load average) on approximately 30
    ubuntu machines, from an ubuntu machine. I have root access to all of
    them. Is there some program that lets me do it? Kind of like xload on
    steroids?

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  2. Re: Multi-machine performance monitoring proggy?

    On 09/24/2008 10:39 AM, Ignoramus18870 wrote:
    > I want to watch performance (mostly load average) on approximately 30
    > ubuntu machines, from an ubuntu machine. I have root access to all of
    > them. Is there some program that lets me do it? Kind of like xload on
    > steroids?

    Don't know if it's still supported, but xmeter used to do this.

  3. Re: Multi-machine performance monitoring proggy?

    Douglas O'Neal wrote:
    > On 09/24/2008 10:39 AM, Ignoramus18870 wrote:
    >> I want to watch performance (mostly load average) on approximately 30
    >> ubuntu machines, from an ubuntu machine. I have root access to all of
    >> them. Is there some program that lets me do it? Kind of like xload on
    >> steroids?

    > Don't know if it's still supported, but xmeter used to do this.

    I think you can use snmp shims and MRTG to do this sort of thing.

  4. Re: Multi-machine performance monitoring proggy?

    On 2008-09-24, Ignoramus18870 wrote:
    > I want to watch performance (mostly load average) on approximately 30
    > ubuntu machines, from an ubuntu machine. I have root access to all of
    > them. Is there some program that lets me do it? Kind of like xload on
    > steroids?

    Have a look at ganglia.

    --
    Joshua Baker-LePain
    QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin

  5. Re: Multi-machine performance monitoring proggy?

    Ignoramus18870 writes:

    > I want to watch performance (mostly load average) on approximately 30
    > ubuntu machines, from an ubuntu machine. I have root access to all of
    > them. Is there some program that lets me do it? Kind of like xload on
    > steroids?

    gkrellm

  6. Re: Multi-machine performance monitoring proggy?

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:47:22 +0000 (UTC), Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

    > On 2008-09-24, Ignoramus18870 wrote:
    >> I want to watch performance (mostly load average) on approximately 30
    >> ubuntu machines, from an ubuntu machine. I have root access to all of
    >> them. Is there some program that lets me do it? Kind of like xload on
    >> steroids?

    > Have a look at ganglia.

    Ganglia?
    Sounds like some kind of bone disease
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  7. Re: Multi-machine performance monitoring proggy?

    On 2008-09-25, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:47:22 +0000 (UTC), Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-09-24, Ignoramus18870 wrote:
    >>> I want to watch performance (mostly load average) on approximately 30
    >>> ubuntu machines, from an ubuntu machine. I have root access to all of
    >>> them. Is there some program that lets me do it? Kind of like xload on
    >>> steroids?

    >> Have a look at ganglia.

    > Ganglia?
    > Sounds like some kind of bone disease

    I could not get that bone disease to display a web site.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  8. Re: Multi-machine performance monitoring proggy?

    All this discussion made me think a little, and I realized that I can
    easily get by with a bunch of xloads.

    E.g.

    for machine in `GetListOfMyServers`; do
    ssh -Y -l produser $machine xload -label $machine &
    done

    That would do exactly what I want. I think. I wish it was confined to
    a single window holding multiple graphs, but this will do.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  9. Re: Multi-machine performance monitoring proggy?

    Ignoramus18870 writes:

    > All this discussion made me think a little, and I realized that I can
    > easily get by with a bunch of xloads.

    gkrellm is a lot more flexible. It has plugins and optional
    modules. For instance, on my laptop, it can show the temperature,
    condition of the laptop battery, fan speeds, etc.

    Multiple monitors can be managed by a single process.

    Think of it as xload on steroids.

  10. Re: Multi-machine performance monitoring proggy?

    On 2008-09-25, Ignoramus18870 wrote:
    > On 2008-09-25, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Have a look at ganglia.

    >> Ganglia?
    >> Sounds like some kind of bone disease

    Actually, it's general meaning is that of a mass of tissue, but it's most
    commonly associated with bundles of nerve cell bodies.

    http://ganglia.info -- it's the first hit on google.

    --
    Joshua Baker-LePain
    QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin