Connect to Server - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Connect to Server - Ubuntu ; Hope someone can clue me in on this. I have a number of computers running Ubuntu 7.10. We use them to connect to a remote OS X Server. All of the PCs will connect to the server on my login ...

  1. Connect to Server

    Hope someone can clue me in on this. I have a number of computers
    running Ubuntu 7.10. We use them to connect to a remote OS X Server.

    All of the PCs will connect to the server on my login as Administrator
    using the Places | Connect to Server | SSH, plus the IP address.

    This drops an icon on the desktop which produces a login box when Double-
    clicked

    Here's the problem. All but 2 of the PC's will create the desktop icon
    when the USER (unprivileged) login is used. I can switch user and log in
    as Administrator, but switching user back. User still won't create the
    icon and log in.

    I can't figure out what switch or setting is incorrect. Updates are
    done, server is Main. We will upgrade in October.

    Looking forward to hearing about this. Thanks!

  2. Re: Connect to Server

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 00:49:41 +0000, Coffeeman wrote:

    > Hope someone can clue me in on this. I have a number of computers
    > running Ubuntu 7.10. We use them to connect to a remote OS X Server.
    >
    > All of the PCs will connect to the server on my login as Administrator
    > using the Places | Connect to Server | SSH,http://

    technologizer.com/2008/09/18/errormessage/ plus the IP address.

    > This drops an icon on the desktop which produces a login box when
    > Double- clicked
    >
    > Here's the problem. All but 2 of the PC's will create the desktop icon
    > when the USER (unprivileged) login is used. I can switch user and log
    > in as Administrator, but switching user back. User still won't create
    > the icon and log in.
    >
    > I can't figure out what switch or setting is incorrect. Updates are
    > done, server is Main. We will upgrade in October.
    >
    > Looking forward to hearing about this. Thanks!

    OK.

    Not solved, but fixed.

    Not hearing from the group, I caved in and did an upgrade on one of the
    boxes that wouldn't hook up to SSH properly.

    After the upgrade, I ended up with about a dozen icons for the same
    server on the desktop.

    For some reason everything was working but that icon! So now it works.
    Problem solved, cause unknown.

    Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread