RAR files - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on RAR files - Ubuntu ; Is there a program in the repository of Ubuntu 8.04 that can be used to open RAR files? Thanks, Alias...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: RAR files

  1. RAR files

    Is there a program in the repository of Ubuntu 8.04 that can be used to
    open RAR files?

    Thanks,

    Alias

  2. Re: RAR files

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 12:23:07 +0200, Alias wrote:

    > Is there a program in the repository of Ubuntu 8.04 that can be used to
    > open RAR files?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alias


    unrar



    --
    Chaos, panic & disorder - my work here is done
    http://beginnerslinux.org

  3. Re: RAR files

    Alias escribió:
    > Is there a program in the repository of Ubuntu 8.04 that can be used to
    > open RAR files?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alias


    $sudo apt-get install rar unrar

    Regards.

  4. Re: RAR files

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 13:14:32 +0200, Tentyris wrote:

    > Alias escribió:
    >> Is there a program in the repository of Ubuntu 8.04 that can be used to
    >> open RAR files?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Alias

    >
    > $sudo apt-get install rar unrar
    >
    > Regards.


    A more general case:

    $aptitude search

    --
    Regards
    Alex

    http://www.badphorm.co.uk/

  5. Re: RAR files

    repo wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 12:23:07 +0200, Alias wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a program in the repository of Ubuntu 8.04 that can be used to
    >> open RAR files?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Alias

    >
    > unrar
    >
    >
    >


    I installed it but I can't find it to use it.

    Alias

  6. Re: RAR files

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 13:31:34 +0200, Alias wrote:

    > repo wrote:
    >> On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 12:23:07 +0200, Alias wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there a program in the repository of Ubuntu 8.04 that can be used
    >>> to open RAR files?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Alias

    >>
    >> unrar
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>

    > I installed it but I can't find it to use it.
    >
    > Alias

    You need to use it at the commandline
    unrar foo.rar

    cannabis:/home/repo# whereis unrar
    unrar: /usr/bin/unrar /usr/share/man/man1/unrar.1.gz
    cannabis:/home/repo#



    --
    Chaos, panic & disorder - my work here is done
    http://beginnerslinux.org

  7. Re: RAR files

    Alias wrote:
    > repo wrote:
    >> Alias wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there a program in the repository of Ubuntu 8.04 that can be used
    >>> to open RAR files?


    >> unrar


    > I installed it but I can't find it to use it.


    I haven't used linux unrar, but I think that if you R click a .rar you
    will get a context menu to extract here. Or you can commandline.

    If you must have a graphical tool, file-roller/Archive manager is a gnome
    graphical arc/dearchiver.



    --
    Mike Easter


  8. Re: RAR files

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Alias wrote:
    >> repo wrote:
    >>> Alias wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Is there a program in the repository of Ubuntu 8.04 that can be used
    >>>> to open RAR files?

    >
    >>> unrar

    >
    >> I installed it but I can't find it to use it.

    >
    > I haven't used linux unrar, but I think that if you R click a .rar you
    > will get a context menu to extract here. Or you can commandline.
    >
    > If you must have a graphical tool, file-roller/Archive manager is a gnome
    > graphical arc/dearchiver.
    >
    >
    >


    I found file-roller. Perfect, thanks.

    Alias

  9. Re: RAR files

    Alias illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > repo wrote:
    >> On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 12:23:07 +0200, Alias wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there a program in the repository of Ubuntu 8.04 that can be used to
    >>> open RAR files?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Alias

    >>
    >> unrar
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
    > I installed it but I can't find it to use it.


    Unrar is a cli program. You need to run it from the terminal

    Usage here
    http://www.edenwaith.com/support/gui...man/unrar.html

    However, if you install it, and also the "rar" package,

    $ sudo apt-get install rar unrar

    then the standard Gnome Packaging System (And KDE, XFCE ones if you use
    those) will pick up that it's installed and you will be able to pack and
    unpack rar's in the normal way as you would be able to zip, unzip, tar
    untar in th GUI.

    --
    "I ran three miles today. Finally I said, "Lady take your purse." ~ Emo
    Philips

  10. Re: RAR files

    Moog wrote:
    > Alias illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> repo wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 12:23:07 +0200, Alias wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Is there a program in the repository of Ubuntu 8.04 that can be used to
    >>>> open RAR files?
    >>>>
    >>>> Thanks,
    >>>>
    >>>> Alias
    >>> unrar
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >> I installed it but I can't find it to use it.

    >
    > Unrar is a cli program. You need to run it from the terminal
    >
    > Usage here
    > http://www.edenwaith.com/support/gui...man/unrar.html
    >
    > However, if you install it, and also the "rar" package,
    >
    > $ sudo apt-get install rar unrar
    >
    > then the standard Gnome Packaging System (And KDE, XFCE ones if you use
    > those) will pick up that it's installed and you will be able to pack and
    > unpack rar's in the normal way as you would be able to zip, unzip, tar
    > untar in th GUI.
    >


    I've already installed it. How do I add the rar package?

    Alias

  11. Re: RAR files

    Alias illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> Alias illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> repo wrote:
    >>>> On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 12:23:07 +0200, Alias wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Is there a program in the repository of Ubuntu 8.04 that can be used to
    >>>>> open RAR files?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Thanks,
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Alias
    >>>> unrar
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>> I installed it but I can't find it to use it.

    >>
    >> Unrar is a cli program. You need to run it from the terminal
    >>
    >> Usage here
    >> http://www.edenwaith.com/support/gui...man/unrar.html
    >>
    >> However, if you install it, and also the "rar" package,
    >>
    >> $ sudo apt-get install rar unrar
    >>
    >> then the standard Gnome Packaging System (And KDE, XFCE ones if you use
    >> those) will pick up that it's installed and you will be able to pack and
    >> unpack rar's in the normal way as you would be able to zip, unzip, tar
    >> untar in th GUI.
    >>

    >
    > I've already installed it. How do I add the rar package?


    OK. All the steps required. If you've already done any of these, then
    omit them.

    From a terminal window
    Applications -> Accesories -> Terminal
    $ sudo apt-get install rar unrar

    Then you'll be able to create or unpack rar archives using File Roller (Gnome)
    Ark (KDE), Xarchiver (XFCE)

    To create
    Right click a file you want to archive, select "Create Archive" (or
    the KDE, XFCE equiv) then choose rar from the drop down selection box.

    To unpack rars.
    Right Click (or double click) the archive and it should guide you
    through the process.

    HTH

    --
    "I was sleeping the other night, alone, thanks to the exterminator." ~
    Emo Philips

  12. Re: RAR files

    Moog wrote:
    > Alias illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Moog wrote:
    >>> Alias illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>>> repo wrote:
    >>>>> On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 12:23:07 +0200, Alias wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> Is there a program in the repository of Ubuntu 8.04 that can be used to
    >>>>>> open RAR files?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Thanks,
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Alias
    >>>>> unrar
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>> I installed it but I can't find it to use it.
    >>> Unrar is a cli program. You need to run it from the terminal
    >>>
    >>> Usage here
    >>> http://www.edenwaith.com/support/gui...man/unrar.html
    >>>
    >>> However, if you install it, and also the "rar" package,
    >>>
    >>> $ sudo apt-get install rar unrar
    >>>
    >>> then the standard Gnome Packaging System (And KDE, XFCE ones if you use
    >>> those) will pick up that it's installed and you will be able to pack and
    >>> unpack rar's in the normal way as you would be able to zip, unzip, tar
    >>> untar in th GUI.
    >>>

    >> I've already installed it. How do I add the rar package?

    >
    > OK. All the steps required. If you've already done any of these, then
    > omit them.
    >
    > From a terminal window
    > Applications -> Accesories -> Terminal
    > $ sudo apt-get install rar unrar
    >
    > Then you'll be able to create or unpack rar archives using File Roller (Gnome)
    > Ark (KDE), Xarchiver (XFCE)
    >
    > To create
    > Right click a file you want to archive, select "Create Archive" (or
    > the KDE, XFCE equiv) then choose rar from the drop down selection box.
    >
    > To unpack rars.
    > Right Click (or double click) the archive and it should guide you
    > through the process.
    >
    > HTH
    >


    I just tried double clicking on a .RAR file and File Roller opened up.
    Thanks.

    Alais

  13. Re: RAR files

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 12:23:07 +0200, Alias wrote:

    > Is there a program in the repository of Ubuntu 8.04 that can be used to
    > open RAR files?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alias


    If you want a GUI, try xarchiver. It works pretty much like WinRAR in the
    windows environment.

  14. Re: RAR files

    Alias illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >
    > I just tried double clicking on a .RAR file and File Roller opened up.
    > Thanks.


    No problem. I'm glad it worked for you.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  15. Re: RAR files

    LittleGorm wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 12:23:07 +0200, Alias wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a program in the repository of Ubuntu 8.04 that can be used to
    >> open RAR files?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Alias

    >
    > If you want a GUI, try xarchiver. It works pretty much like WinRAR in the
    > windows environment.


    Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.

    Alias

  16. Re: RAR files

    On 2008-09-23, Alias wrote:
    > Is there a program in the repository of Ubuntu 8.04 that can be used to
    > open RAR files?


    Yes.


    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    "Hate is baggage, life is too short to go around pissed off all the
    time..." - Danny, American History X

+ Reply to Thread