Installfest in San Diego - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Installfest in San Diego - Ubuntu ; This high-end Lifebook is from six years ago, and is in really excellent physical condition with five hours of battery life. RAM is only 96MB and the simple Pentium processor is clocked at 233MHz. XP runs well though slowly on ...

  1. Installfest in San Diego

    This high-end Lifebook is from six years ago, and is in
    really excellent physical condition with five hours of
    battery life. RAM is only 96MB and the simple Pentium
    processor is clocked at 233MHz. XP runs well though
    slowly on it.

    I would like to install the simplest derivative of Linux
    that will support email, browsing, and creation of text
    documents. Viewing movies from a high-speed SD card
    (with adapter) would be great if that's practical with
    such a limited machine.

    There is a Linux User Group Installfest on October 4th,
    to which I apparently can bring this laptop (and a
    pizza, I'm told) in order to get help. The link to the
    "BRING THESE ITEMS" page is broken, however.

    Any advice as to what I should bring, what color of
    Linux should go onto this unit, and what I - as a new
    user - should look out for?

    Thanks!
    Lonnie

  2. Re: Installfest in San Diego

    Lon wrote:

    > There is a Linux User Group Installfest on October 4th,
    > to which I apparently can bring this laptop (and a
    > pizza, I'm told) in order to get help. The link to the
    > "BRING THESE ITEMS" page is broken, however.

    That Technical Bookstore has a monthly installfest the 1st Sat of every
    month, which is Oct 4. http://www.thattechnicalbookstore.com/

    .... and they say they have free donuts & coffee.

    There is a very old kplug installfest 'checklist' at their site
    http://www.kernel-panic.org/meetings...fest/checklist Installfest
    Checklist -

    .... which mentions the 'rotary debugger' (pizza) as a bribe.

    It also has a good list of what to bring.

    I think my choice for that underpowered lifebook would be puppy.

    --
    Mike Easter

  3. Re: Installfest in San Diego

    Lon wrote:
    > This high-end Lifebook is from six years ago, and is in really excellent
    > physical condition with five hours of battery life. RAM is only 96MB and
    > the simple Pentium processor is clocked at 233MHz. XP runs well though
    > slowly on it.

    This doesn't add up.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

  4. Re: Installfest in San Diego

    Mark Warner wrote:
    > Lon wrote:
    >> This high-end Lifebook is from six years ago, and is in really
    >> excellent physical condition with five hours of battery life. RAM is
    >> only 96MB and the simple Pentium processor is clocked at 233MHz. XP
    >> runs well though slowly on it.

    > This doesn't add up.

    The fujitsu lifebook 985TX came with 96mb ram, 233 Pentium mmx, & a 5G
    hdd.

    However, I would much rather run W98se on it than to try to run XP, even
    one stripped down with litepc like TinyXP or MicroXP.

    --
    Mike Easter

  5. Re: Installfest in San Diego

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Mark Warner wrote:
    >> Lon wrote:
    >>> This high-end Lifebook is from six years ago, and is in really
    >>> excellent physical condition with five hours of battery life. RAM is
    >>> only 96MB and the simple Pentium processor is clocked at 233MHz. XP
    >>> runs well though slowly on it.

    >> This doesn't add up.

    > The fujitsu lifebook 985TX came with 96mb ram, 233 Pentium mmx, & a 5G
    > hdd.

    Then it has to be more than six years old. My Dell C600 has a build date
    of 10-15-2001, and it came with a PIII-750 and 256MB.

    > However, I would much rather run W98se on it than to try to run XP, even
    > one stripped down with litepc like TinyXP or MicroXP.

    I don't think it could run XP at all. Like I said, it just doesn't add up.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  6. Re: Installfest in San Diego

    Mark Warner wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Mark Warner wrote:
    >>> This doesn't add up.

    >> The fujitsu lifebook 985TX came with 96mb ram, 233 Pentium mmx, & a 5G
    >> hdd.

    > Then it has to be more than six years old. My Dell C600 has a build date
    > of 10-15-2001, and it came with a PIII-750 and 256MB.

    I see some usenet ads from 1998. And someone wanting advice back then
    about how to run a linux distro on it.

    >> However, I would much rather run W98se on it than to try to run XP,
    >> even one stripped down with litepc like TinyXP or MicroXP.

    > I don't think it could run XP at all. Like I said, it just doesn't add
    > up.

    I read somewhere that MS liked to claim that XP /could/ run on 64 megs,
    but they recommended 128 or more.

    Searching... clickity clickity....
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb457057.aspx The operating
    system can run with 64 MB of RAM.

    .... and "64 MB of RAM will provide you with a user experience equivalent
    or superior to that of Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me) running on
    the same hardware. If you're satisfied with using Windows Me on lower-end
    computers, you should find Windows XP a satisfactory upgrade"

    Ha! MS will say anything. -- By Stuart Sechrest and Michael Fortin,
    Microsoft Corporation

    --
    Mike Easter

  7. Re: Installfest in San Diego

    > This high-end Lifebook is from six years ago, and is in really excellent
    > physical condition with five hours of battery life. RAM is only 96MB and
    > the simple Pentium processor is clocked at 233MHz. XP runs well though
    > slowly on it.
    >
    > I would like to install the simplest derivative of Linux that will
    > support email, browsing, and creation of text documents. Viewing movies
    > from a high-speed SD card (with adapter) would be great if that's
    > practical with such a limited machine.
    >
    > There is a Linux User Group Installfest on October 4th, to which I
    > apparently can bring this laptop (and a pizza, I'm told) in order to get
    > help. The link to the "BRING THESE ITEMS" page is broken, however.
    >
    > Any advice as to what I should bring, what color of Linux should go onto
    > this unit, and what I - as a new user - should look out for?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Lonnie

    Where in San Diego? I'm in Chula Vista.

  8. Re: Installfest in San Diego

    Jeffrey Needle wrote:

    >> There is a Linux User Group Installfest on October 4th,

    > Where in San Diego? I'm in Chula Vista.

    I gave a link to their site http://www.thattechnicalbookstore.com/

    ....and a link to more info at kplug http://www.kernel-panic.org/

    That Technical Bookstore, Inc has monthly installfests at the store.
    Place: That Technical Bookstore, Inc

    8760 Complex Drive
    San Diego CA 92123
    (Just two blocks west of our old location!)

    Schedule: First Saturday of each month

    That Technical Bookstore is located just east of Highway 163 and just off
    of Clairemont Mesa Blvd.

    Map

    Please be sure to read through the Installfest Checklist.

    Links inside snip:

    Map: http://www.thattechnicalbookstore.com/store.asp
    Checklist: http://www.kernel-panic.org/meetings...fest/checklist

    --
    Mike Easter

  9. Re: Installfest in San Diego

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Jeffrey Needle wrote:
    >
    >>> There is a Linux User Group Installfest on October 4th,

    >> Where in San Diego? I'm in Chula Vista.

    > I gave a link to their site http://www.thattechnicalbookstore.com/
    >
    > ...and a link to more info at kplug http://www.kernel-panic.org/
    >

    > That Technical Bookstore, Inc has monthly installfests at the store.
    > Place: That Technical Bookstore, Inc
    >
    > 8760 Complex Drive
    > San Diego CA 92123
    > (Just two blocks west of our old location!)
    >
    > Schedule: First Saturday of each month
    >
    > That Technical Bookstore is located just east of Highway 163 and just
    > off of Clairemont Mesa Blvd.
    >
    > Map
    >
    > Please be sure to read through the Installfest Checklist.
    >

    > Links inside snip:
    >
    > Map: http://www.thattechnicalbookstore.com/store.asp
    > Checklist: http://www.kernel-panic.org/meetings...fest/checklist

    To clarify some of what I linked:

    .... the bookstore's installfest is *not* exactly the same as the kplug
    installfest - so the pizza remarks don't really apply to the bookstore --
    but the general guidelines about bringing your computer's pieces and
    parts, ie keyboard, mouse, connections, and being familiar with its
    hardware and all those instructions also apply to the bookstore's
    installfest. The link for the bookstore's checklist is b0rken, so I'm
    recommending using kplug's. Likely the humor about bringing pizza or
    other 'bribes' might not be in the bookstore's checklist, which we can't
    see.

    --
    Mike Easter

  10. Re: Installfest in San Diego

    Jeffrey Needle illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Where in San Diego? I'm in Chula Vista.

    We just cannot get away from *that* OS in here, can we? ;-)

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  11. Re: Installfest in San Diego

    Since we inherited this Lifebook as a 'travel computer',
    I'm not certain as to its age and just reported what I
    was told. It looks new and has new batteries. The keys
    and mouse are not "polished", and the screen is perfect.
    And, there's now a 60GB hard drive in it.

    XP really does run properly, and it has not been
    "trimmed" since no one here knows how to do that.

    After looking at alternatives such as DSL, Mike Easter's
    suggestion of Puppy makes sense.

    So... Saturday the 4th and bring fine wine.

    Thanks!

  12. Re: Installfest in San Diego

    Lon wrote:

    > XP really does run properly, and it has not been
    > "trimmed" since no one here knows how to do that.
    >
    > After looking at alternatives such as DSL, Mike Easter's
    > suggestion of Puppy makes sense.

    If XP on a 233 w/ 96megs is doing OK for you, you are going to love puppy.

    I think that XP is going to be using the hdd for virtual quite a bit,
    and/but the puppy will be running in ram. Maybe you are running a pretty
    clean XP without problem baggage.

    --
    Mike Easter

  13. Re: Installfest in San Diego

    > Jeffrey Needle wrote:
    >
    >>> There is a Linux User Group Installfest on October 4th,

    >> Where in San Diego? I'm in Chula Vista.

    > I gave a link to their site http://www.thattechnicalbookstore.com/
    >
    > ...and a link to more info at kplug http://www.kernel-panic.org/
    >

    > That Technical Bookstore, Inc has monthly installfests at the store.
    > Place: That Technical Bookstore, Inc
    >
    > 8760 Complex Drive
    > San Diego CA 92123
    > (Just two blocks west of our old location!)
    >
    > Schedule: First Saturday of each month
    >
    > That Technical Bookstore is located just east of Highway 163 and just
    > off of Clairemont Mesa Blvd.
    >
    > Map
    >
    > Please be sure to read through the Installfest Checklist.

    > Links inside snip:
    >
    > Map: http://www.thattechnicalbookstore.com/store.asp Checklist:
    > http://www.kernel-panic.org/meetings...fest/checklist

    I know where it is. If I can get a ride, I may show up one time!

  14. Re: Installfest in San Diego

    Jeffrey Needle wrote:

    >>> Where in San Diego? I'm in Chula Vista.

    >> 8760 Complex Drive

    > I know where it is. If I can get a ride, I may show up one time!

    Take the Blue Line Old Town trolley from one of the 3 Chula Vista stations
    near you to the City College trolley station/stop and get off there and
    walk a very short distance, about 500 feet, to the 11th & B bus stop and
    catch the 20B North County Fair bus and get off at the Kearny Mesa Transit
    Center.

    For best routing/connection to the CV trolley or alternate connxns, use
    this online trip planner http://www.sdmts.com/Tripplanner.asp
    Metropolitan Transit System - OTIS Trip Planner

    The fest is from 10-4.

    --
    Mike Easter

  15. Re: Installfest in San Diego

    > Jeffrey Needle wrote:

    >>> 8760 Complex Drive

    >> I know where it is. If I can get a ride, I may show up one time!

    > Take the Blue Line Old Town trolley from one of the 3 Chula Vista
    > stations near you to the City College trolley station/stop and get off
    > there and walk a very short distance, about 500 feet, to the 11th & B
    > bus stop and catch the 20B North County Fair bus and get off at the
    > Kearny Mesa Transit Center.
    >
    > For best routing/connection to the CV trolley or alternate connxns, use
    > this online trip planner http://www.sdmts.com/Tripplanner.asp
    > Metropolitan Transit System - OTIS Trip Planner
    >
    > The fest is from 10-4.

    Thanks! Sounds easy enough. I travel the buses all the time, and the
    trolley sometimes. Good system here.

  16. Re: Installfest in San Diego

    Jeffrey Needle wrote:

    > Sounds easy enough. I travel the buses all the time, and the
    > trolley sometimes. Good system here.

    Good public system for you in the south county. Not a very good system if
    one lives in the north county, either inland or coastal.

    While there are buses which are handy for the rush hour time commutes,
    they are virtually nonexistent for times other than those. And of course
    no trolleys at all, which is understandable.

    The focus around here is on about a billion dollars for revising I-15s HOV
    lanes and all of the overpasses over I-15 in order to do that, plus all
    kinds of mitigation walls and transit centers with special onoff-ramps for
    mostly nonexistent buses.

    I don't know what the answer is. People just want to drive their cars on
    12 lane congested freeways and cannot be goaded into carpooling or hov
    even when the 12 lanes make a big expensive parking lot. All they want is
    more lanes for individual autos.

    I remember marveling at traveling in Holland/ the Netherlands/ where one
    could get around almost everywhere, from a small town to its trainstation
    to the airport which has a trainstation.

    Some people want to put such a transit center east of Lindbergh, while
    others want to move the airport and don't know where to put it.

    But, I digress :-)

    Let me see if I can get closer to topic.... the San Diego Unified School
    District deployed linux sytems for its student laptops. The district has
    about 130,000 students.

    --
    Mike Easter

  17. Re: Installfest in San Diego

    > Jeffrey Needle wrote:
    >
    >> Sounds easy enough. I travel the buses all the time, and the trolley
    >> sometimes. Good system here.

    > Good public system for you in the south county. Not a very good system
    > if one lives in the north county, either inland or coastal.
    >
    > While there are buses which are handy for the rush hour time commutes,
    > they are virtually nonexistent for times other than those. And of
    > course no trolleys at all, which is understandable.
    >
    > The focus around here is on about a billion dollars for revising I-15s
    > HOV lanes and all of the overpasses over I-15 in order to do that, plus
    > all kinds of mitigation walls and transit centers with special
    > onoff-ramps for mostly nonexistent buses.
    >
    > I don't know what the answer is. People just want to drive their cars
    > on 12 lane congested freeways and cannot be goaded into carpooling or
    > hov even when the 12 lanes make a big expensive parking lot. All they
    > want is more lanes for individual autos.
    >
    > I remember marveling at traveling in Holland/ the Netherlands/ where one
    > could get around almost everywhere, from a small town to its
    > trainstation to the airport which has a trainstation.
    >
    > Some people want to put such a transit center east of Lindbergh, while
    > others want to move the airport and don't know where to put it.
    >
    > But, I digress :-)
    >
    > Let me see if I can get closer to topic.... the San Diego Unified School
    > District deployed linux sytems for its student laptops. The district
    > has about 130,000 students.

    Yes, public transit is very good down here. I can get nearly anywhere.
    I've looked at the schedules for North County. Forget it.

    I'm glad I live in a depressed area .

    But, back to Linux. We've strayed a bit. Thanks for the good discussion.

+ Reply to Thread