Question about a VPN client - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Question about a VPN client - Ubuntu ; Installed the Aventail VPN client for Linux to see if I can use it to connect to my work VPN. All goes well until I say "connect" at which point I get a whole stream of errors startctui Exception in ...

  1. Question about a VPN client

    Installed the Aventail VPN client for Linux to see if I can use it to
    connect to my work VPN. All goes well until I say "connect" at which
    point I get a whole stream of errors

    startctui
    Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0"
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: defau
    ltCloseOperation must be one of: DO_NOTHING_ON_CLOSE, HIDE_ON_CLOSE, or
    DISPOSE_
    ON_CLOSE
    at
    javax.swing.JDialog.setDefaultCloseOperation(JDial og.java:705)
    at
    com.aventail.xg.ui.StatusDisplay.createAndDisplayC omponents(StatusDis
    play.java:106)
    at
    com.aventail.xg.ui.ProgressDisplay$1.run(ProgressD isplay.java:122)
    at
    java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Invocation Event.java:209)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java: 597)
    at
    java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilter s(EventDispatchThre
    ad.java:273)
    at
    java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(E ventDispatchThread.
    java:183)
    at
    java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarch y(EventDispatchThre
    ad.java:173)
    at
    java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispa tchThread.java:168)
    at
    java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispa tchThread.java:160)
    at
    java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThre ad.java:121)

    I recognize some of them as being related to Java but I'm wondering if
    there could be something OS related? I use pretty much the same client
    on Mac OSX and have no issues at all.

    --
    Do you twitter? http://twitter.com
    Do you want to be a cranky geek? http://www.crankygeeks.com/

  2. Re: Question about a VPN client

    On 22 Sep 2008 01:39:21 GMT, John wrote:
    >Installed the Aventail VPN client for Linux to see if I can use it to
    >connect to my work VPN. All goes well until I say "connect" at which
    >point I get a whole stream of errors

    What does their documentation say about what verison of java required?
    What do you get if you point your browser at a java test applet
    such as http://javatester.org/version.html
    or http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

  3. Re: Question about a VPN client

    I use this successfully on Ubuntu after lots of trial and error. However,
    don't use the gui version that needs java. Use the command line version.
    Type startct in a terminal instead of startctui. It will take you through a
    simple couple of menus and hook you right up. To stop it, open another tab
    in your terminal and type stopct.

    I'm assuming all went well with the install. I had to open up the scripts
    inside the install package and change /bin/sh to /bin/bash as per this url:

    http://lumpy.alternoc.net/2007/10/bi...ntail-connect/

    --
    Frankenstein

  4. Re: Question about a VPN client

    On 2008-09-22, Frankenstein wrote:
    > I use this successfully on Ubuntu after lots of trial and error. However,
    > don't use the gui version that needs java. Use the command line version.
    > Type startct in a terminal instead of startctui. It will take you through a
    > simple couple of menus and hook you right up. To stop it, open another tab
    > in your terminal and type stopct.
    >
    > I'm assuming all went well with the install. I had to open up the scripts
    > inside the install package and change /bin/sh to /bin/bash as per this url:
    >
    > http://lumpy.alternoc.net/2007/10/bi...ntail-connect/

    Install went well. I'll give the cli version a try. I'm using the RDP
    client that came with KDE, what are you using?

    --
    Do you twitter? http://twitter.com
    Do you want to be a cranky geek? http://www.crankygeeks.com/
    Improving usenet: http://improve-usenet.org/ (I score GG down by 99)
    Mepis32 RLU #451587i,Vista and MacOSXp

  5. Re: Question about a VPN client

    On 22-Sep-2008, John wrote:

    > Install went well. I'll give the cli version a try. I'm using the RDP
    > client that came with KDE, what are you using?

    I use it to connect to the server of one of my clients. Once the VPN
    connects, I just use the gnome terminal to ssh into their server, gedit to
    edit text files on it, and sometimes nautilus to transfer files to it.

    --
    Frankenstein

  6. Re: Question about a VPN client

    On 2008-09-22, Frankenstein wrote:
    > On 22-Sep-2008, John wrote:
    >
    >> Install went well. I'll give the cli version a try. I'm using the RDP
    >> client that came with KDE, what are you using?

    > I use it to connect to the server of one of my clients. Once the VPN
    > connects, I just use the gnome terminal to ssh into their server, gedit to
    > edit text files on it, and sometimes nautilus to transfer files to it.

    That would probably work if all I needed to do was ssh to servers, but
    most of what I need is actually on my desktop so I need to be able
    to RDP to my desktop and work from there. I've got it working
    on MacOS and Windows Vista so Linux should be as easy as MacOS but
    a hell of alot easier than Vista.

    Oh well, since both Linux and Win are in the same room and but a
    coaster ride chair away it's no big deal.

    --
    Do you twitter? http://twitter.com
    Do you want to be a cranky geek? http://www.crankygeeks.com/
    Improving usenet: http://improve-usenet.org/ (I score GG down by 99)
    Mepis32 RLU #451587i,Vista and MacOSXp

  7. Re: Question about a VPN client

    On 22-Sep-2008, John wrote:

    > That would probably work if all I needed to do was ssh to servers, but
    > most of what I need is actually on my desktop so I need to be able
    > to RDP to my desktop and work from there.

    Well, I thought the VPN was the issue, not the RDP. It seems to me if you
    could connect to the VPN, then the RDP should work. But I guess I don't know
    enough about what you're doing, to say. You might think about PCAnywhere12,
    if you felt like spending 100 bucks or so. The installation CD includes a
    Linux version. If I remember correctly, you might have to disable Compiz to
    get it to install.

    --
    Frankenstein

  8. Re: Question about a VPN client

    Frankenstein wrote:
    > On 22-Sep-2008, John wrote:
    >

    >> That would probably work if all I needed to do was ssh to servers, but
    >> most of what I need is actually on my desktop so I need to be able
    >> to RDP to my desktop and work from there.

    > Well, I thought the VPN was the issue, not the RDP. It seems to me if you
    > could connect to the VPN, then the RDP should work. But I guess I don't know
    > enough about what you're doing, to say. You might think about PCAnywhere12,
    > if you felt like spending 100 bucks or so. The installation CD includes a
    > Linux version. If I remember correctly, you might have to disable Compiz to
    > get it to install.

    The question is/was about the VPN client... I was trying to use the gui
    version of the client and it was failing with the errors in my original
    message. I haven't made any real effort yet to get the non-GUI version
    working yet. Once I get the VPN client working either via the GUI or
    non-GUI version, I'll tackle the RDP. I'll try to ping or ssh to one of
    our servers to verify that that VPN connection is working, but I'll
    still need to get access via RDP to my desktop and a couple of other
    Windows 2K3 servers on the network.

    * Cranky Geeks Rule http://www.crankygeeks.com
    * I want to be a Cranky Geek
    * running Ubuntu 8.04, Windows Vista and Mac OS X
    * on one wireless network, all talking nicely

  9. Re: Question about a VPN client

    On 2008-09-22, AZ Nomad wrote:

    > What does their documentation say about what verison of java required?
    > What do you get if you point your browser at a java test applet
    > such as http://javatester.org/version.html
    > or http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

    Java 6. Installed it myself downloaded from sun. I custom install
    all that stuff so that it's where I want it to be (/usr/local/java)
    and I have a filesystem mounted to /usr/local/java which I
    backup using Simple Backup (full once a week, incremental otherwise).
    My JAVA_HOME points to /usr/local/java/jdk and my PATH
    knows about JAVA_HOME/bin.

    --
    Do you twitter? http://twitter.com
    Do you want to be a cranky geek? http://www.crankygeeks.com/