The "Cadillac" of virtualization? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on The "Cadillac" of virtualization? - Ubuntu ; I am getting a new workstation at work. It will have MS windows preinstalled. My plan is to shrink the Windows partition and set up a dual boot with Ubuntu Hardy. I would use it mostly for programming and some ...

  1. The "Cadillac" of virtualization?

    I am getting a new workstation at work. It will have MS windows
    preinstalled.

    My plan is to shrink the Windows partition and set up a dual boot with
    Ubuntu Hardy. I would use it mostly for programming and some
    support. I would spend most time inside he Linux installation.

    What I am interested in is a virtualization solution where I can
    access Windows from inside Linux.

    So, here's a list of things that I want:

    1) Have a dual boot, with a windows and Linux partition, but start
    Windows from inside Linux every time I boot Linux. It is important
    because I have a crontab inside windows also, to update my source code
    daily and compile it.

    2) Be able to access Windows "drives" from inside Linux

    3) Be able to boot solely into Windows instead of from a virtual
    machine inside Linux, but the same Windows OS (same filesystem etc).

    4) Be able to see some Linux subdirectory, that I would designate,
    from Windows for sharing files.

    5) Not to get the "genuine advantage" warnings from Windows

    6) Under no circumstances (such as viruses) should the virtualized
    Windows get out of its jail and affect Linux, outside of the
    designated directory in item 4)

    So, am I asking for too much or is this possible? What virtualization
    solution (free) is best?

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  2. Re: The "Cadillac" of virtualization?

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 19:23:41 -0500, Ignoramus6193 wrote:

    > I am getting a new workstation at work. It will have MS windows
    > preinstalled.
    >
    > My plan is to shrink the Windows partition and set up a dual boot with
    > Ubuntu Hardy. I would use it mostly for programming and some support. I
    > would spend most time inside he Linux installation.
    >
    > What I am interested in is a virtualization solution where I can access
    > Windows from inside Linux.
    >
    > So, here's a list of things that I want:
    >
    > 1) Have a dual boot, with a windows and Linux partition, but start
    > Windows from inside Linux every time I boot Linux. It is important
    > because I have a crontab inside windows also, to update my source code
    > daily and compile it.
    >
    > 2) Be able to access Windows "drives" from inside Linux
    >
    > 3) Be able to boot solely into Windows instead of from a virtual machine
    > inside Linux, but the same Windows OS (same filesystem etc).
    >
    > 4) Be able to see some Linux subdirectory, that I would designate, from
    > Windows for sharing files.
    >
    > 5) Not to get the "genuine advantage" warnings from Windows
    >
    > 6) Under no circumstances (such as viruses) should the virtualized
    > Windows get out of its jail and affect Linux, outside of the designated
    > directory in item 4)
    >
    > So, am I asking for too much or is this possible? What virtualization
    > solution (free) is best?

    I'd like a lamborghini (free) but I don't think that's going to happen
    anytime soon.

    What you're asking for is a bit difficult. You want the identical
    installation from both the Virtual Machine and real boot and that
    actually *may* be possible. I know VMWare can use a physical drive to run
    the virtual machine from so VMWare may be able to do that. I don't know
    if VirtualBox has the ability. VMWare obviously isn't free however.

    Seeing linux directories from Windows is a bit more difficult. Personally
    I find the EXT2/EXT3 support available for Windows to be ranking
    somewhere between piss-poor and abysmal. It definitely can't correctly
    handle my file systems as they contain utf-8 encoded file names
    (Japanese) so I don't trust it the slightest.

    If you need a shared drive between windows and linux, go either FAT32 or
    with the latest NTFS drivers in Ubuntu, a shared NTFS partition also is a
    reasonable option. Be aware though that this driver can create files in
    the NTFS partition that windows can't deal with (using characters that
    windows considers invalid but linux doesn't). It doesn't break the file
    system, just windows can't deal with it. Have to go back into linux to
    rename the file to something windows can deal with and everything is
    fine. I don't think that is the case with FAT32 partitions.

    The largest issue that you'll probably face is "genuine disadvantage".
    Since you want the identical installation to both run on the real CPU and
    on the Virtual Machine this is where I suspect you'll smack right into a
    wall.

    Even if you can get VMWare to boot the real windows install as a virtual
    machine, windows will see it as being booted from a different computer.
    It'll have to update and install all new drivers, assuming it even
    manages to boot up in the first place. Then when you switch back to
    booting windows using the real CPU, the process starts all over again.

    I don't think that's going to work out very well.

    Best bet is probably going to be to have your dual boot linux / windows
    and with a 3rd windows installation in a virtual machine. That way
    genuine disadvantage and driver issues won't get into your way.

    --
    Stephan
    1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  3. Re: The "Cadillac" of virtualization?

    Ignoramus6193 wrote:

    < snip >

    > So, am I asking for too much or is this possible? What virtualization
    > solution (free) is best?

    XEN

    And /maybe/ Vmware, if the windows install is Win2000.
    No XP, No Vista
    --
    Get the new Windows XP. Now with eXtra Problems included

  4. Re: The "Cadillac" of virtualization?

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 23:36:38 -0500, Stephan Rose wrote:

    > Even if you can get VMWare to boot the real windows install as a virtual
    > machine, windows will see it as being booted from a different computer.
    > It'll have to update and install all new drivers, assuming it even
    > manages to boot up in the first place. Then when you switch back to
    > booting windows using the real CPU, the process starts all over again.

    Doesn't anybody make a tool, that reads your hardware, and sets up a
    virtual machine to mimic it?

    sf

  5. Re: The "Cadillac" of virtualization?

    In comp.os.linux.misc Ignoramus6193 wrote:
    > What I am interested in is a virtualization solution where I can
    > access Windows from inside Linux.

    > 1) Have a dual boot, with a windows and Linux partition, but start
    > Windows from inside Linux every time I boot Linux. It is important
    > because I have a crontab inside windows also, to update my source code
    > daily and compile it.

    You could use something like Qemu/KVM, started from a boot script.
    Personally I have a little icon that kicks off my Windows VM when I need
    it. (Two icons, actually: one for my regular snapshot mode and a less
    used one for "normal" mode.)

    > 2) Be able to access Windows "drives" from inside Linux

    Samba/SMB

    > 3) Be able to boot solely into Windows instead of from a virtual
    > machine inside Linux, but the same Windows OS (same filesystem etc).

    Tricky. Windows doesn't like you changing that much hardware underneath
    it. You might be able to do something like that with hardware profiles
    but I think you're on to a loser here.

    You might be better off have a common "D:" drive that's accessible from
    your VM and your non-VM installations.

    > 4) Be able to see some Linux subdirectory, that I would designate,
    > from Windows for sharing files.

    Built-in SMB as provided by Qemu/KVM

    > 5) Not to get the "genuine advantage" warnings from Windows

    Huh? I don't think I've ever seen these.

    > 6) Under no circumstances (such as viruses) should the virtualized
    > Windows get out of its jail and affect Linux, outside of the
    > designated directory in item 4)

    You can't read/write share a directory but then expect it to be read-only
    under certain ill-defined circumstances. Which do you want?

    Chris

  6. Re: The "Cadillac" of virtualization?

    On 2008-09-22, jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    > On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 23:36:38 -0500, Stephan Rose wrote:
    >
    >> Even if you can get VMWare to boot the real windows install as a virtual
    >> machine, windows will see it as being booted from a different computer.
    >> It'll have to update and install all new drivers, assuming it even
    >> manages to boot up in the first place. Then when you switch back to
    >> booting windows using the real CPU, the process starts all over again.

    > Doesn't anybody make a tool, that reads your hardware, and sets up a
    > virtual machine to mimic it?

    vmware does infact have a tool that will turn a working system
    into a VM image. You might run into trouble with WGA and whatnot.

    --
    My macintosh runs Ubuntu. |||
    / | \