Access Windows when running Xubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Access Windows when running Xubuntu - Ubuntu ; I have thought about going over to Linux (from Windows XP) for some while now and in view of the positive comments made about it, I downloaded Xubunu and ran this from a CD. The first thing that I noticed ...

  1. Access Windows when running Xubuntu

    I have thought about going over to Linux (from Windows XP)
    for some while now and in view of the positive comments made about
    it, I downloaded Xubunu and ran this from a CD.

    The first thing that I noticed (remember I'm a total novice) was the
    lack of icons, and the one most noticeably absent was the facility
    to access Windows on the C: drive (on Windows = 'My computer').
    I would have thought this was a very common action and was
    therefore surprised that this was not automatically included in
    Xubuntu.
    On reading files about this subject on the WWW, I tried some of
    the instructions listed, in the termninal mode, but had no success
    whatsoever.

    All I want to do is to be able to read/access the files in Windows.
    Can anyone advise what I have to type to enable this?
    My PC has a floppy (A, a hard drtive (C and a CD/DVD drive (D

    Thank you.

    David

  2. Re: Access Windows when running Xubuntu

    nospam@nospam.noway wrote:

    > I have thought about going over to Linux (from Windows XP)
    > for some while now and in view of the positive comments made about
    > it, I downloaded Xubunu and ran this from a CD.
    >
    > The first thing that I noticed (remember I'm a total novice) was the
    > lack of icons, and the one most noticeably absent was the facility
    > to access Windows on the C: drive (on Windows = 'My computer').
    > I would have thought this was a very common action and was
    > therefore surprised that this was not automatically included in
    > Xubuntu.
    > On reading files about this subject on the WWW, I tried some of
    > the instructions listed, in the termninal mode, but had no success
    > whatsoever.
    >
    > All I want to do is to be able to read/access the files in Windows.
    > Can anyone advise what I have to type to enable this?
    > My PC has a floppy (A, a hard drtive (C and a CD/DVD drive (D
    >

    > Thank you.
    >
    > David

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mo...irdPartyNTFS3G

    I would be surprised if this didn't work under Xubuntu. I use it on
    Ubuntu. http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-r...eenshots.shtml
    This allows you to extract files from Xubuntu to Windows and is safer
    imo than fs-driver. The Ntfs3g configuration is very intuitive.
    sudo apt-get install ntfs-config
    gksudo ntfs-config

  3. Re: Access Windows when running Xubuntu

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 13:02:55 +0100, nospam wrote:

    > I have thought about going over to Linux (from Windows XP) for some
    > while now and in view of the positive comments made about
    > it, I downloaded Xubunu and ran this from a CD.

    Xubuntu features a lightweight desktop (XFCE) for old, slow computers. If
    your machine can run WinXP then it can easily run the Gnome desktop of
    Ubuntu or for an even more friendly, hand-holdy step from Windows the
    ubuntu-derived linuxMint (www.linuxmint.com). There really is no reason
    for you to use the XFCE desktop which, as you say, has very few icons.
    Try mint and/or ubuntu and see if they are more what you are used to and
    expect.

    AFAIK /NO/ live-cd version will allow you to mount the XP partition (or
    any other partition for that matter) it's a safety device. The live CD
    allows you to play safely! OTOH AFAIK /all/ the different flavours will
    mount the WinXP (by default, and put an icon on the desktop for it) when
    installed. Post a few more details (RAM size, free HD space etc. here for
    a more specific installation guide.

  4. Re: Access Windows when running Xubuntu

    I think there is a problem if the C: drive uses ntfs format.

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 13:02:55 +0100, nospam@nospam.noway wrote:

    >I have thought about going over to Linux (from Windows XP)
    >for some while now and in view of the positive comments made about
    > it, I downloaded Xubunu and ran this from a CD.
    >
    >The first thing that I noticed (remember I'm a total novice) was the
    >lack of icons, and the one most noticeably absent was the facility
    >to access Windows on the C: drive (on Windows = 'My computer').
    > I would have thought this was a very common action and was
    >therefore surprised that this was not automatically included in
    >Xubuntu.
    >On reading files about this subject on the WWW, I tried some of
    >the instructions listed, in the termninal mode, but had no success
    >whatsoever.
    >
    >All I want to do is to be able to read/access the files in Windows.
    >Can anyone advise what I have to type to enable this?
    >My PC has a floppy (A, a hard drtive (C and a CD/DVD drive (D
    >

    >Thank you.
    >
    >David

  5. Re: Access Windows when running Xubuntu

    Derek Turner wrote:

    > AFAIK /NO/ live-cd version will allow you to mount the XP partition (or
    > any other partition for that matter) it's a safety device.

    I use Knoppix or my variant of Puppy - both will read and write to NTFS
    partitions. It's essential, as I use these distros for data recovery from
    trashed Windoze installs!

    C.

  6. Re: Access Windows when running Xubuntu

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 19:50:09 +0100, Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > Derek Turner wrote:
    >
    >> AFAIK /NO/ live-cd version will allow you to mount the XP partition (or
    >> any other partition for that matter) it's a safety device.

    > I use Knoppix or my variant of Puppy - both will read and write to NTFS
    > partitions. It's essential, as I use these distros for data recovery
    > from trashed Windoze installs!
    >
    > C.

    Sorry, I should have made myself clearer. AFAIK no live-cd version OF
    UBUNTU will... etc. Obviously rescue distros will, they'd be useless
    otherwise. I was referring only to the 'try before you (don't) buy' live
    CDs of Ubuntu that can be installed if you like them. There's no reason
    why they can't other than that it's been deliberately disabled to prevent
    damage to installed OS's. Equally obviously, once you install these
    systems this prohibition is removed. Remember that the *untu live CDs are
    highly compressed and very slow, unlike puppy, knoppix etc: they're
    really not meant to be used as a working system, just as a 'demo mode',
    again unlike puppy, knoppix etc.

  7. Re: Access Windows when running Xubuntu

    Derek Turner wrote:

    > Sorry, I should have made myself clearer.

    That's OK ;-)

    C.

  8. Re: Access Windows when running Xubuntu

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 13:02:55 +0100, nospam wrote:

    > I have thought about going over to Linux (from Windows XP) for some
    > while now and in view of the positive comments made about
    > it, I downloaded Xubunu and ran this from a CD.
    >
    > The first thing that I noticed (remember I'm a total novice) was the
    > lack of icons, and the one most noticeably absent was the facility to
    > access Windows on the C: drive (on Windows = 'My computer').
    > I would have thought this was a very common action and was
    > therefore surprised that this was not automatically included in Xubuntu.

    Why is that? Try reading a Linux partition from a MS install!

    > On reading files about this subject on the WWW, I tried some of the
    > instructions listed, in the termninal mode, but had no success
    > whatsoever.
    >
    > All I want to do is to be able to read/access the files in Windows. Can
    > anyone advise what I have to type to enable this? My PC has a floppy
    > (A, a hard drtive (C and a CD/DVD drive (D
    >

    > Thank you.
    >
    > David

    You should be able to start the synaptic package manager from the system
    menu and search for 'ntfs'. The search should return ntfs-3g select this
    and install it.

  9. Re: Access Windows when running Xubuntu

    On 21 Sep 2008 19:09:10 GMT, Derek Turner wrote:

    >On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 19:50:09 +0100, Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> Derek Turner wrote:
    >>
    >>> AFAIK /NO/ live-cd version will allow you to mount the XP partition (or
    >>> any other partition for that matter) it's a safety device.

    >> I use Knoppix or my variant of Puppy - both will read and write to NTFS
    >> partitions. It's essential, as I use these distros for data recovery
    >> from trashed Windoze installs!
    >>
    >> C.

    >Sorry, I should have made myself clearer. AFAIK no live-cd version OF
    >UBUNTU will... etc. Obviously rescue distros will, they'd be useless
    >otherwise. I was referring only to the 'try before you (don't) buy' live
    >CDs of Ubuntu that can be installed if you like them. There's no reason
    >why they can't other than that it's been deliberately disabled to prevent
    >damage to installed OS's. Equally obviously, once you install these
    >systems this prohibition is removed. Remember that the *untu live CDs are
    >highly compressed and very slow, unlike puppy, knoppix etc: they're
    >really not meant to be used as a working system, just as a 'demo mode',
    >again unlike puppy, knoppix etc.

    As Debian can read NTFS partitions and at least one Debian based
    distro can also read NTFS partitions it seems likely that Ubuntu will
    also. If I remember correctly Ubuntu mounts only a few disks
    automatically so it is probably true that mounting the additional disk
    partitions from the command line will work. If works then additional
    mount statements can be added to fstab to automate the process. I
    can't remember how many disks are defined in /bin but probably one for
    each available disk partition.

    Bruce-in-Bangkok

  10. Re: Access Windows when running Xubuntu

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 09:09:46 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

    > As Debian can read NTFS partitions and at least one Debian based distro
    > can also read NTFS partitions it seems likely that Ubuntu will also.

    yes, yes, yes but not while running as a live CD. Once installed of
    course it will. Try reading the question.

  11. Re: Access Windows when running Xubuntu

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 02:03:13 +0000, ray wrote:

    > You should be able to start the synaptic package manager from the system
    > menu and search for 'ntfs'. The search should return ntfs-3g select this
    > and install it.

    Not necessary, he'll have access by default ONCE THE OS IS INSTALLED.
    Read the question, he's running it as a live CD.

  12. Re: Access Windows when running Xubuntu

    Many thanks for all the help given here.

    I finally got my PC running xubuntu to acknowledge my hard disc and
    Windows, and allow me to access these by typing (after the $ sign):

    sudo mkdir /media/Windows
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/Windows

    {
    I was told that if that doesn't work, also type:
    sudo mount /dev/hda1 /media/Windows
    }

    I then found Windows in

    File System - Media - Windows.

    Thanks again...

    David

  13. Re: Access Windows when running Xubuntu

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 08:52:47 +0000, Derek Turner wrote:

    > On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 02:03:13 +0000, ray wrote:
    >

    >> You should be able to start the synaptic package manager from the
    >> system menu and search for 'ntfs'. The search should return ntfs-3g
    >> select this and install it.

    > Not necessary, he'll have access by default ONCE THE OS IS INSTALLED.
    > Read the question, he's running it as a live CD.

    I understand that. It is possible to install software on the running Live
    CD.

  14. Re: Access Windows when running Xubuntu

    Christopher Hunter illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Derek Turner wrote:
    >
    >> AFAIK /NO/ live-cd version will allow you to mount the XP partition (or
    >> any other partition for that matter) it's a safety device.

    > I use Knoppix or my variant of Puppy

    Which version of Puppy? My version of "dingo" doesn't.

    --
    "I once had a large gay following, but I ducked into an alleyway and
    lost him." ~ Emo Philips

  15. Re: Access Windows when running Xubuntu

    Moog wrote:

    > Which version of Puppy? My version of "dingo" doesn't.

    It's /my/ variant of Puppy - it's a respin I'm working on. I really like
    Barry's approach to building a minimal Linux distro, and have learnt a lot
    by examining it. When it's fully built, I'll happily e-mail you a copy.

    C.

  16. Re: Access Windows when running Xubuntu

    Christopher Hunter illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Which version of Puppy? My version of "dingo" doesn't.

    > It's /my/ variant of Puppy - it's a respin I'm working on. I really like
    > Barry's approach to building a minimal Linux distro, and have learnt a lot
    > by examining it. When it's fully built, I'll happily e-mail you a copy.

    I'd love to take a look when you've finished. Thanks.

    FWIW, i tried to make a "Moogbuntu" a while back and failed miserably.
    ;-)

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  17. Re: Access Windows when running Xubuntu

    Moog wrote:

    > I'd love to take a look when you've finished. Thanks.

    It's going to be a little while, but it's coming along quite nicely.

    > FWIW, i tried to make a "Moogbuntu" a while back and failed miserably.
    > ;-)

    My first attempts were unworkable, but I'm getting there!

    C.

  18. Re: Access Windows when running Xubuntu

    Moog wrote:
    > Christopher Hunter illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >> Moog wrote:
    >>

    >>> Which version of Puppy? My version of "dingo" doesn't.
    >>>

    >> It's /my/ variant of Puppy - it's a respin I'm working on. I really like
    >> Barry's approach to building a minimal Linux distro, and have learnt a lot
    >> by examining it. When it's fully built, I'll happily e-mail you a copy.
    >>

    > I'd love to take a look when you've finished. Thanks.
    >
    > FWIW, i tried to make a "Moogbuntu" a while back and failed miserably.
    > ;-)

    That is because you created a Uboogmumtu.

    --
    John

  19. Re: Access Windows when running Xubuntu

    nospam@nospam.noway wrote:

    > I have thought about going over to Linux (from Windows XP)
    > for some while now and in view of the positive comments made about
    > it, I downloaded Xubunu and ran this from a CD.
    >
    > The first thing that I noticed (remember I'm a total novice) was the
    > lack of icons, and the one most noticeably absent was the facility
    > to access Windows on the C: drive (on Windows = 'My computer').
    > I would have thought this was a very common action and was
    > therefore surprised that this was not automatically included in
    > Xubuntu.
    > On reading files about this subject on the WWW, I tried some of
    > the instructions listed, in the termninal mode, but had no success
    > whatsoever.

    If you are inclined to install, you'd probably be partial to the gnome
    or kde desktops. You can install these by typing
    sudo aptitude install ubuntu-desktop kubuntu-desktop
    iirc. If you're short on space or bandwidth select only one. Once it
    starts dowloading go to dinner.

    Michael C.
    --
    mjchappell@verizon.net http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right!
    - Henry Ford

+ Reply to Thread