Getting Clie to sync with Ubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Getting Clie to sync with Ubuntu - Ubuntu ; I've tried to search the web for help on this, but either I'm not doing it right, or my situation is somehow different. I have an older Clie - I think it's Palm OS 4.0, connect via USB - that ...

  1. Getting Clie to sync with Ubuntu

    I've tried to search the web for help on this, but either I'm not doing it
    right, or my situation is somehow different. I have an older Clie - I think
    it's Palm OS 4.0, connect via USB - that I've been syncing to Microsoft
    Outlook in XP. As I experiment with Ubuntu, I'd love to be able to sync to
    Evolution or J-Pilot or K-Pilot - something.

    But the process seems to die before it ever really gets started. AFAIK, the
    Ubuntu never actually sees the handheld. Can anyone help?

  2. Re: Getting Clie to sync with Ubuntu

    Op Sun, 21 Sep 2008 08:06:02 +0000, schreef preacher:

    > I've tried to search the web for help on this, but either I'm not doing
    > it right, or my situation is somehow different. I have an older Clie - I
    > think it's Palm OS 4.0, connect via USB - that I've been syncing to
    > Microsoft Outlook in XP. As I experiment with Ubuntu, I'd love to be
    > able to sync to Evolution or J-Pilot or K-Pilot - something.
    >
    > But the process seems to die before it ever really gets started. AFAIK,
    > the Ubuntu never actually sees the handheld. Can anyone help?

    Yes, I think I can:

    Do a sudo modprobe visor and it should work.

    You can automate that action by adding "visor" (without the quotes) in /
    etc/modules

    Do use /dev/ttyUSB0 as device in the configuration application.

    I have written an article (in Dutch) with some screenshots:

    http://www.digiplace.nl/pivot/entry.php?id=823

    --
    /Jos

    Linux op mijn desktop - http://www.digiplace.nl

  3. Re: Getting Clie to sync with Ubuntu

    Op Tue, 23 Sep 2008 07:22:04 +0000, schreef Jos Herni:

    > Do use /dev/ttyUSB0 as device in the configuration application.

    try usb: if that is not working :-)

    --
    /Jos

    Linux op mijn desktop - http://www.digiplace.nl

  4. Re: Getting Clie to sync with Ubuntu

    Bada bing Jos Herni bada bang:
    > Op Tue, 23 Sep 2008 07:22:04 +0000, schreef Jos Herni:
    >

    >> Do use /dev/ttyUSB0 as device in the configuration application.

    > try usb: if that is not working :-)

    I think usb: is the way to go. I had no problems using this as
    the address for my Clie while I still used it.

    Mike "now for the BlackBerry..." Yetto
    --
    Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitas.
    - William of Ockham

  5. Re: Getting Clie to sync with Ubuntu

    Jos Herni wrote in news:48d8991c$0$194
    $e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl:

    /
    > etc/modules
    >
    > Do use /dev/ttyUSB0 as device in the configuration application.

    Okay - I did the 'sudo modprobe visor', and J-Pilot can now find the
    Clie. Evolution (using Gnome-pilot) apparently cannot. Haven't played
    enough with J-Pilot yet to see if that will suit my purposes, but it was
    great to see it find the handheld.

    Question: why does this work? What did the command that I typed in
    accomplish? Anyway to get it working with Gnome-pilot/Evolution?

    Also, will Avantgo work with Linux?

  6. Re: Getting Clie to sync with Ubuntu

    Op Tue, 23 Sep 2008 15:39:31 +0000, schreef preacher:

    > Okay - I did the 'sudo modprobe visor', and J-Pilot can now find the
    > Clie. Evolution (using Gnome-pilot) apparently cannot. Haven't played
    > enough with J-Pilot yet to see if that will suit my purposes, but it was
    > great to see it find the handheld.
    >
    > Question: why does this work? What did the command that I typed in
    > accomplish? Anyway to get it working with Gnome-pilot/Evolution?

    It works with Gnome-Pilot!

    > Also, will Avantgo work with Linux?

    Yes use the MAL (Mobile Application Link Conduit)

    --
    /Jos

    Linux op mijn desktop - http://www.digiplace.nl

  7. Re: Getting Clie to sync with Ubuntu

    Jos Herni wrote in news:48da4a57$0$182
    $e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl:

    > Op Tue, 23 Sep 2008 15:39:31 +0000, schreef preacher:
    >

    >> Okay - I did the 'sudo modprobe visor', and J-Pilot can now find the
    >> Clie. Evolution (using Gnome-pilot) apparently cannot. Haven't played
    >> enough with J-Pilot yet to see if that will suit my purposes, but it was
    >> great to see it find the handheld.
    >>
    >> Question: why does this work? What did the command that I typed in
    >> accomplish? Anyway to get it working with Gnome-pilot/Evolution?

    > It works with Gnome-Pilot!

    Well, mine was returning an error. I'll have to try it again, and maybe I
    cna post the exact error code.

    >> Also, will Avantgo work with Linux?

    > Yes use the MAL (Mobile Application Link Conduit)

    Nice. Just like on Mac OSX.

+ Reply to Thread