Post-Install: Boot Block Updated? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Post-Install: Boot Block Updated? - Ubuntu ; I installed MythBuntu on a spare PC awhile ago. Now I've got another PC that runs Myth and I figured I'd just restore the Windows XP partition image that I took from it before the MythBuntu install. No go, though. ...

  1. Post-Install: Boot Block Updated?

    I installed MythBuntu on a spare PC awhile ago.

    Now I've got another PC that runs Myth and I figured I'd just
    restore the Windows XP partition image that I took from it before
    the MythBuntu install.

    No go, though.
    ---------------------------------------
    Intel Boot Agent
    PXE-E61: Media test failure
    PX#-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent5

    GRUB Loading State.5.

    ERROR 17
    ---------------------------------------

    Has Ubuntu hosed my boot blocks somehow?

    Or do I have some other problem that just
    happened to happen at this time?

    If hosed, how to recover?
    --
    PeteCresswell

  2. Re: Post-Install: Boot Block Updated?

    It was on Sat, 20 Sep 2008 11:54:12 -0400 when (PeteCresswell) scwibbled:

    > I installed MythBuntu on a spare PC awhile ago.
    >
    > Now I've got another PC that runs Myth and I figured I'd just restore
    > the Windows XP partition image that I took from it before the MythBuntu
    > install.

    Have you left the MythBuntu partition (and its swap) there too, or is
    this now just an XP box?

    > No go, though.
    > --------------------------------------- Intel Boot Agent
    > PXE-E61: Media test failure
    > PX#-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent5
    >
    > GRUB Loading State.5.
    >
    > ERROR 17
    > ---------------------------------------
    >
    > Has Ubuntu hosed my boot blocks somehow?

    It's written its own. To do so it had to overwrite the XP one.

    > Or do I have some other problem that just happened to happen at this
    > time?

    You might if you've not restored the partition for XP exactly the same
    way it was before you removed it. It sounds like the disk imaging program
    you used only made an image of the partition, not the whole disk. What
    imaging software did you use? I'll carry on for now, using this
    assumption.

    > If hosed, how to recover?

    To MythBuntu or XP? To Mythbuntu, just restore the MythBuntu partition,
    but you haven't mentioned making a copy of that, so I assume you mean XP.
    Not everyone would call it a recovery, but all you have to do is boot
    from the XP install disk into the recovery console and run fixboot and
    fixmbr. Note that if the partition order is different from the original
    XP install, it may not work too well.

    --
    JimP

  3. Re: Post-Install: Boot Block Updated?

    Per Jim Price:
    >It sounds like the disk imaging program
    >you used only made an image of the partition, not the whole disk.

    Bingo.

    From now on, I'll set it to image the entire disc.

    Thanks.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  4. Re: Post-Install: Boot Block Updated?

    Per Jim Price:
    >but all you have to do is boot
    >from the XP install disk into the recovery console and run fixboot and
    >fixmbr.

    I did an end run - which probably amounted to the same thing:
    booted from the PC's system restore disk, killed the install part
    way through (figuring it set the boot block soon after
    formatting...) and then restored from my image - A-OK.

    Thanks again for the insights.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  5. Re: Post-Install: Boot Block Updated?

    On 2008-09-20, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > I installed MythBuntu on a spare PC awhile ago.
    >
    > Now I've got another PC that runs Myth and I figured I'd just
    > restore the Windows XP partition image that I took from it before
    > the MythBuntu install.
    >
    > No go, though.
    > ---------------------------------------
    > Intel Boot Agent
    > PXE-E61: Media test failure
    > PX#-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent5
    >
    > GRUB Loading State.5.
    >
    > ERROR 17
    > ---------------------------------------
    >
    > Has Ubuntu hosed my boot blocks somehow?
    >
    > Or do I have some other problem that just
    > happened to happen at this time?
    >
    > If hosed, how to recover?

    You have to re-write your MBR. Boot to your Windows CD, use recovery
    mode.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

+ Reply to Thread