unable to mount cd - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on unable to mount cd - Ubuntu ; Hello, I have a persistent issue mounting optical drives. When I initially boot the drives are usable. But at (seemingly arbitrary) times the desktop icons for my drives disappear and the drives cannot be mounted ("no media in drive"). The ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: unable to mount cd

  1. unable to mount cd

    Hello,
    I have a persistent issue mounting optical drives. When I
    initially boot the drives are usable. But at (seemingly arbitrary)
    times the desktop icons for my drives disappear and the drives cannot be
    mounted ("no media in drive"). The only option seems to be to reboot.
    This is probably the only reason I still have to use windows for my
    work, so it's a real PITA. Any ideas what might be causing this and how
    it could be fixed? Cheers.

    Duncan

    Hardy Heron
    2.6.24-19-server
    Opteron 180
    ASUS A8V Deluxe

  2. Re: unable to mount cd

    On 2008-09-20, duncan smith hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I have a persistent issue mounting optical drives. When I
    > initially boot the drives are usable. But at (seemingly arbitrary)
    > times the desktop icons for my drives disappear and the drives cannot be
    > mounted ("no media in drive"). The only option seems to be to reboot.
    > This is probably the only reason I still have to use windows for my
    > work, so it's a real PITA. Any ideas what might be causing this and how
    > it could be fixed? Cheers.



    Post the content of /etc/fstab

    Just in case you don't know, this is a file in the directory called
    /etc

    if you put a cd-Rom into the drive and type in a "terminal"
    "sudo mount /media/cdromX" what is the result? replace the X with
    the actual number like 0 or 1

    my /etc/fstab has these entries:

    /dev/scd1 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
    /dev/sr0 /media/dvd udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0



    >
    > Duncan
    >
    > Hardy Heron
    > 2.6.24-19-server
    > Opteron 180
    > ASUS A8V Deluxe




    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    "When science discovers the center of the universe, a lot of
    people will be disappointed to find they are not it."
    >> Bernard Baily <<


  3. Re: unable to mount cd

    Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    > On 2008-09-20, duncan smith hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >> I have a persistent issue mounting optical drives. When I
    >> initially boot the drives are usable. But at (seemingly arbitrary)
    >> times the desktop icons for my drives disappear and the drives cannot be
    >> mounted ("no media in drive"). The only option seems to be to reboot.
    >> This is probably the only reason I still have to use windows for my
    >> work, so it's a real PITA. Any ideas what might be causing this and how
    >> it could be fixed? Cheers.

    >
    >
    > Post the content of /etc/fstab
    >
    > Just in case you don't know, this is a file in the directory called
    > /etc
    >



    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    #
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    # /dev/sda1
    UUID=49d337bd-1301-4dc8-ae69-439c7d82bca8 / ext3
    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # /dev/sda5
    UUID=39466af4-f6c4-4f58-9b4f-4ce37dab2ba3 none swap sw
    0 0
    /dev/hdb /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
    /dev/hda /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec 0 0


    > if you put a cd-Rom into the drive and type in a "terminal"
    > "sudo mount /media/cdromX" what is the result? replace the X with
    > the actual number like 0 or 1
    >



    duncan@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /media/cdrom0
    [sudo] password for duncan:
    mount: special device /dev/hdb does not exist
    duncan@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /media/cdrom1
    mount: special device /dev/hda does not exist
    duncan@ubuntu:~$


    > my /etc/fstab has these entries:
    >
    > /dev/scd1 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
    > /dev/sr0 /media/dvd udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
    >


    I'll retry the above immediately after rebooting. Cheers.

    Duncan

  4. Re: unable to mount cd

    duncan smith wrote:
    > Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >> On 2008-09-20, duncan smith hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>> I have a persistent issue mounting optical drives. When I
    >>> initially boot the drives are usable. But at (seemingly arbitrary)
    >>> times the desktop icons for my drives disappear and the drives cannot be
    >>> mounted ("no media in drive"). The only option seems to be to reboot.
    >>> This is probably the only reason I still have to use windows for my
    >>> work, so it's a real PITA. Any ideas what might be causing this and how
    >>> it could be fixed? Cheers.

    >>
    >> Post the content of /etc/fstab
    >>
    >> Just in case you don't know, this is a file in the directory called
    >> /etc
    >>

    >
    >
    > # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    > #
    > #
    > proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    > # /dev/sda1
    > UUID=49d337bd-1301-4dc8-ae69-439c7d82bca8 / ext3
    > defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    > # /dev/sda5
    > UUID=39466af4-f6c4-4f58-9b4f-4ce37dab2ba3 none swap sw
    > 0 0
    > /dev/hdb /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
    > /dev/hda /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
    > /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec 0 0
    >
    >
    >> if you put a cd-Rom into the drive and type in a "terminal"
    >> "sudo mount /media/cdromX" what is the result? replace the X with
    >> the actual number like 0 or 1
    >>

    >
    >
    > duncan@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /media/cdrom0
    > [sudo] password for duncan:
    > mount: special device /dev/hdb does not exist
    > duncan@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /media/cdrom1
    > mount: special device /dev/hda does not exist
    > duncan@ubuntu:~$
    >
    >
    >> my /etc/fstab has these entries:
    >>
    >> /dev/scd1 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
    >> /dev/sr0 /media/dvd udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
    >>

    >
    > I'll retry the above immediately after rebooting. Cheers.
    >


    And I get exactly the same, although I can use the drives (for the moment).

    Duncan

  5. Re: unable to mount cd

    Em Sábado, 20 de Setembro de 2008 19:05, duncan smith escreveu:

    >> mount: special device /dev/hda does not exist
    >> duncan@ubuntu:~$
    >>
    >> I'll retry the above immediately after rebooting. Cheers.
    >>

    >
    > And I get exactly the same, although I can use the drives (for the
    > moment).


    and i suspect you loose the hability to use your cd's after you eject...

    what do you use to mount/umount/eject ?

    this "special device /dev/hda does not exist" should never appear in
    cd-drives, but it is commom with usb removable devices... i wonder if your
    system is not confusing them...





  6. Re: unable to mount cd

    ArameFarpado wrote:
    > Em Sábado, 20 de Setembro de 2008 19:05, duncan smith escreveu:
    >
    >>> mount: special device /dev/hda does not exist
    >>> duncan@ubuntu:~$
    >>>
    >>> I'll retry the above immediately after rebooting. Cheers.
    >>>

    >> And I get exactly the same, although I can use the drives (for the
    >> moment).

    >
    > and i suspect you loose the hability to use your cd's after you eject...


    Apparently not. I just ejected and reinserted a music CD and it's
    playing as I type. Tried the same with a data CD in my other drive and
    I can access the data OK. But it's got to the stage where I make sure
    any CDs I want access to are in the machine before it boots. Then I
    have access to them for an indeterminate period of time. I always seem
    to have access to both optical drives, or neither.

    >
    > what do you use to mount/umount/eject ?


    Generally I do that from the right click menu within nautilus.

    >
    > this "special device /dev/hda does not exist" should never appear in
    > cd-drives, but it is commom with usb removable devices... i wonder if your
    > system is not confusing them...
    >


    Possibly. It seems I also have a problem with the floppy drive "can't
    mount file". Probably the first time I've tried to use that drive.

    If I go to Places > Computer nautilus also shows a SCSI Drive (although
    not in the left panel). I have no idea what that is. (If I double
    click it I get "can't mount file".)

    I have no issues with usb memory sticks, they seem to work fine.

    Please help if you can. I need to get on with some work, and my XP box
    is out of commission (although it could stay that way if I could get
    these problems sorted). (Sorting the tv out for my ATI Radeon 9200se
    would be nice too, but that's hardly work related.) Thanks.

    Duncan

  7. Re: unable to mount cd

    Em Domingo, 21 de Setembro de 2008 01:59, duncan smith escreveu:

    >> and i suspect you loose the hability to use your cd's after you eject...

    >
    > Apparently not. I just ejected and reinserted a music CD and it's
    > playing as I type. Tried the same with a data CD in my other drive and
    > I can access the data OK. But it's got to the stage where I make sure
    > any CDs I want access to are in the machine before it boots. Then I
    > have access to them for an indeterminate period of time. I always seem
    > to have access to both optical drives, or neither.

    wierd...

    >>
    >> what do you use to mount/umount/eject ?

    >
    > Generally I do that from the right click menu within nautilus.

    ok

    >>
    >> this "special device /dev/hda does not exist" should never appear in
    >> cd-drives, but it is commom with usb removable devices... i wonder if
    >> your system is not confusing them...
    >>

    >
    > Possibly. It seems I also have a problem with the floppy drive "can't
    > mount file". Probably the first time I've tried to use that drive.
    >
    > If I go to Places > Computer nautilus also shows a SCSI Drive (although
    > not in the left panel). I have no idea what that is. (If I double
    > click it I get "can't mount file".)
    >
    > I have no issues with usb memory sticks, they seem to work fine.
    >
    > Please help if you can.

    i'm out of ideas now...
    an empty cd drive should give "no medium found" error and not "device does
    not exist", it looks like your cd drives became desconnected... and if both
    desconnects at once, then it could be an IDE controler driver problem that
    i never seen before.
    do you have your cd drives setting to master/slave or are you using
    cable-select ? i've seen some wierd fenomenons when using cable-select, and
    found master/slave setting more reliable.

    also, i can't found anything wrong in your fstab.

    regards


  8. Re: unable to mount cd

    On 2008-09-20, duncan smith wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I have a persistent issue mounting optical drives. When I
    > initially boot the drives are usable. But at (seemingly arbitrary)
    > times the desktop icons for my drives disappear and the drives cannot be
    > mounted ("no media in drive").


    Out of left field, can you eject the CD when it has umounted itself by
    pressing the button on the drive. If so do so and push the drawer closed. ie
    just open the CD drawer and close it again.

    This will kick the auto mount into action. Assuming it is working.

    Still a pain but better than rebooting

  9. Re: unable to mount cd

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 03:11:47 +0100, ArameFarpado wrote:

    >>
    >> Apparently not. I just ejected and reinserted a music CD and it's
    >> playing as I type. Tried the same with a data CD in my other drive and
    >> I can access the data OK. But it's got to the stage where I make sure
    >> any CDs I want access to are in the machine before it boots. Then I
    >> have access to them for an indeterminate period of time. I always seem
    >> to have access to both optical drives, or neither.

    > wierd...
    >
    >

    Just seen this part of the thread, so sorry if this has been mentioned
    before. Are both the drives on the same cable. If so it could be a
    hardware problem. First thing to do is take the cable off the
    motherboard and reseat it. I have had something of a similar problem on
    disc drives, where the symptom showed as increasing numbers of bad blocks
    appearing in two drives (the machine was around three years old).
    Reseating connectors cleaned up the contacts, bad blocks were removed by
    a 'clean up' program, and I had no trouble for the rest of the life of
    the machine. (That was in the days of Win 98!)

    Keith

  10. Re: unable to mount cd

    Gordon wrote:
    > On 2008-09-20, duncan smith wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >> I have a persistent issue mounting optical drives. When I
    >> initially boot the drives are usable. But at (seemingly arbitrary)
    >> times the desktop icons for my drives disappear and the drives cannot be
    >> mounted ("no media in drive").

    >
    > Out of left field, can you eject the CD when it has umounted itself by
    > pressing the button on the drive. If so do so and push the drawer closed. ie
    > just open the CD drawer and close it again.
    >
    > This will kick the auto mount into action. Assuming it is working.
    >
    > Still a pain but better than rebooting


    I can eject them and reinsert them like that. But I still get "no media
    in drive".

    Duncan

  11. Re: unable to mount cd

    duncan smith wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I have a persistent issue mounting optical drives. When I
    > initially boot the drives are usable. But at (seemingly arbitrary)
    > times the desktop icons for my drives disappear and the drives cannot be
    > mounted ("no media in drive"). The only option seems to be to reboot.
    > This is probably the only reason I still have to use windows for my
    > work, so it's a real PITA. Any ideas what might be causing this and how
    > it could be fixed? Cheers.
    >
    > Duncan
    >
    > Hardy Heron
    > 2.6.24-19-server
    > Opteron 180
    > ASUS A8V Deluxe


    First, re-seat and/or replace the data cable. Also check your drive
    jumpers and cable position carefully. The master MA drive should be
    hooked on the end of the cable, and the slave SL in the middle. If both
    drives are jumpered "cable select" or CS then it doesn't matter, but I
    prefer and have had better luck with the master/slave hookup on cdrom
    drives. Try disconnecting one of the drives so you only have one active
    cd drive, test it and then reconnect it and disconnect the other etc.
    etc. A drive jumpered as a slave works fine with no master drive hooked
    on the cable so for single drive testing purposes you should not have to
    mess with the jumpers. However the MA/SL cable position is important so
    look and see how the drives are jumpered. All of this is assuming that
    you have IDE (40 or 80 wire ribbon cable) drives and not SATA. Then, if
    that didn't help and you are sure that everything is properly hooked up
    and both drives check out, for troubleshooting you could download or
    borrow any linux live cd, boot with one drive (if possible) and try to
    access the other. The boot drive will be locked. Then try booting with
    the other. Or, if your MB supports booting from usb (an ANUS A8V Deluxe
    should boot from any drive) build a bootable usb stick
    (www.pendrivelinux.com) such as mcnlive (my favorite because it seems to
    boot on many of the systems that I work on, http://www.mcnlive.org),
    then try accessing the cdrom drives. using the process of elimination
    you should be able to narrow down the problem as to whether it is
    hardware or software related. Hope this helps.

    User

  12. Re: unable to mount cd

    User wrote:
    > duncan smith wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >> I have a persistent issue mounting optical drives. When I
    >> initially boot the drives are usable. But at (seemingly arbitrary)
    >> times the desktop icons for my drives disappear and the drives cannot be
    >> mounted ("no media in drive"). The only option seems to be to reboot.
    >> This is probably the only reason I still have to use windows for my
    >> work, so it's a real PITA. Any ideas what might be causing this and how
    >> it could be fixed? Cheers.
    >>
    >> Duncan
    >>
    >> Hardy Heron
    >> 2.6.24-19-server
    >> Opteron 180
    >> ASUS A8V Deluxe

    >
    > First, re-seat and/or replace the data cable. Also check your drive
    > jumpers and cable position carefully. The master MA drive should be
    > hooked on the end of the cable, and the slave SL in the middle. If both
    > drives are jumpered "cable select" or CS then it doesn't matter, but I
    > prefer and have had better luck with the master/slave hookup on cdrom
    > drives. Try disconnecting one of the drives so you only have one active
    > cd drive, test it and then reconnect it and disconnect the other etc.
    > etc. A drive jumpered as a slave works fine with no master drive hooked
    > on the cable so for single drive testing purposes you should not have to
    > mess with the jumpers. However the MA/SL cable position is important so
    > look and see how the drives are jumpered. All of this is assuming that
    > you have IDE (40 or 80 wire ribbon cable) drives and not SATA. Then, if
    > that didn't help and you are sure that everything is properly hooked up
    > and both drives check out, for troubleshooting you could download or
    > borrow any linux live cd, boot with one drive (if possible) and try to
    > access the other. The boot drive will be locked. Then try booting with
    > the other. Or, if your MB supports booting from usb (an ANUS A8V Deluxe
    > should boot from any drive) build a bootable usb stick
    > (www.pendrivelinux.com) such as mcnlive (my favorite because it seems to
    > boot on many of the systems that I work on, http://www.mcnlive.org),
    > then try accessing the cdrom drives. using the process of elimination
    > you should be able to narrow down the problem as to whether it is
    > hardware or software related. Hope this helps.
    >
    > User


    I took Keith's advice and checked the jumpers on the optical drives.
    They were correctly set to slave and master. They were also connected
    to "cd" and "aux" on the motherboard. I disconnected those. I swapped
    the floppy drive and cable out for a known good drive and cable. No
    change. I had access to the optical drives for a while, then to
    neither. Still no access to the floppy drive, "can't mount file".

    As the motherboard has two IDE ports, and my hard drives are SATA, I
    connected each optical drive to a distinct port (both jumpered to
    master). I lost access to one of the drives (DVD rewriter) within a
    couple of hours. I cannot eject the disk from within nautilus or via
    the drive button. I still have access to the other drive (DVD rom)
    after 16 hours (probably a record) and can eject (from nautilus) and
    reinsert and it automounts OK. I still have some unmountable, unknown
    SCSI drive appearing in nautilus. I suppose I have some more swapping
    around of drives and cables to do; but does the following throw any
    light on the issues?

    duncan@ubuntu:~$ sudo lshw -C disk
    [sudo] password for duncan:
    *-disk:0
    description: ATA Disk
    product: Maxtor 6B200M0
    vendor: Maxtor
    physical id: 0
    bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
    logical name: /dev/sda
    version: BANC
    serial: B41T97AH
    size: 189GiB (203GB)
    capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
    configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=c538c538
    *-disk:1
    description: ATA Disk
    product: Maxtor 6B200M0
    vendor: Maxtor
    physical id: 1
    bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
    logical name: /dev/sdb
    version: BANC
    serial: B41T97QH
    size: 189GiB (203GB)
    configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=000576dc
    *-cdrom:0
    description: DVD writer
    physical id: 0
    bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0
    logical name: /dev/scd0
    logical name: /dev/sr0
    capabilities: audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r
    configuration: status=ready
    *-cdrom:1
    description: DVD reader
    product: DVD-ROM GDR8163B
    vendor: HL-DT-ST
    physical id: 1
    bus info: scsi@3:0.0.0
    logical name: /dev/scd1
    logical name: /dev/sr1
    version: 0L23
    capabilities: removable audio dvd
    configuration: ansiversion=5 status=ready
    *-medium
    physical id: 0
    logical name: /dev/scd1
    duncan@ubuntu:~$


    Cheers.

    Duncan


  13. Re: unable to mount cd

    duncan smith wrote in
    news:gb8n2m$9u4$1@energise.enta.net:

    As the motherboard has two IDE ports, and my hard drives are SATA, I
    > connected each optical drive to a distinct port (both jumpered to
    > master). I lost access to one of the drives (DVD rewriter) within a
    > couple of hours.


    My gut reaction right now is that your problems could be caused by
    equipment failure.....thermal issues on the DVD.

    > I cannot eject the disk from within nautilus or via
    > the drive button. I still have access to the other drive (DVD rom)
    > after 16 hours (probably a record) and can eject (from nautilus) and
    > reinsert and it automounts OK. I still have some unmountable, unknown
    > SCSI drive appearing in nautilus.


    Disconnect the malfunctioning DVD drive, then reboot to see if the bogus
    SCSI drive is still visable.

    > I suppose I have some more swapping
    > around of drives and cables to do; but does the following throw any
    > light on the issues?
    >


    Might want to try running the DVD rewriter solo and providing extra
    ventilation to the unit by either removing it from the case and/or
    pointing a fan at the unit.....to see if it lasts any longer before
    going ga-ga on you.

    Extra computer??? Try the DVD rewriter in it if applicable. :-)


  14. Re: unable to mount cd

    propman wrote:
    > duncan smith wrote in
    > news:gb8n2m$9u4$1@energise.enta.net:
    >
    > As the motherboard has two IDE ports, and my hard drives are SATA, I
    >> connected each optical drive to a distinct port (both jumpered to
    >> master). I lost access to one of the drives (DVD rewriter) within a
    >> couple of hours.

    >
    > My gut reaction right now is that your problems could be caused by
    > equipment failure.....thermal issues on the DVD.
    >
    >> I cannot eject the disk from within nautilus or via
    >> the drive button. I still have access to the other drive (DVD rom)
    >> after 16 hours (probably a record) and can eject (from nautilus) and
    >> reinsert and it automounts OK. I still have some unmountable, unknown
    >> SCSI drive appearing in nautilus.

    >
    > Disconnect the malfunctioning DVD drive, then reboot to see if the bogus
    > SCSI drive is still visable.
    >
    >> I suppose I have some more swapping
    >> around of drives and cables to do; but does the following throw any
    >> light on the issues?
    >>

    >
    > Might want to try running the DVD rewriter solo and providing extra
    > ventilation to the unit by either removing it from the case and/or
    > pointing a fan at the unit.....to see if it lasts any longer before
    > going ga-ga on you.
    >
    > Extra computer??? Try the DVD rewriter in it if applicable. :-)
    >


    OK, looks like it was a hardware issue with the rewriter. Thanks. But
    I still have an issue with the floppy drive. As I said before, I can't
    mount it from nautilus. But if I go to a terminal and,

    sudo mount /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0

    then I can open 'floppy0' in naultilus and get at my files. But then I
    can't unmount it from nautilus (only root can unmount ...). Shouldn't
    it be more straightforward than this?


    duncan@ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/fstab
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    #
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    # /dev/sda1
    UUID=49d337bd-1301-4dc8-ae69-439c7d82bca8 / ext3
    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # /dev/sda5
    UUID=39466af4-f6c4-4f58-9b4f-4ce37dab2ba3 none swap sw
    0 0
    /dev/hdb /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
    /dev/hda /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec 0 0
    duncan@ubuntu:~$


    Thanks.

    Duncan




  15. Re: unable to mount cd

    Em Quarta, 24 de Setembro de 2008 02:41, duncan smith escreveu:

    > propman wrote:
    >> duncan smith wrote in
    >> news:gb8n2m$9u4$1@energise.enta.net:
    >>
    >> As the motherboard has two IDE ports, and my hard drives are SATA, I
    >>> connected each optical drive to a distinct port (both jumpered to
    >>> master). I lost access to one of the drives (DVD rewriter) within a
    >>> couple of hours.

    >>
    >> My gut reaction right now is that your problems could be caused by
    >> equipment failure.....thermal issues on the DVD.
    >>
    >>> I cannot eject the disk from within nautilus or via
    >>> the drive button. I still have access to the other drive (DVD rom)
    >>> after 16 hours (probably a record) and can eject (from nautilus) and
    >>> reinsert and it automounts OK. I still have some unmountable, unknown
    >>> SCSI drive appearing in nautilus.

    >>
    >> Disconnect the malfunctioning DVD drive, then reboot to see if the bogus
    >> SCSI drive is still visable.
    >>
    >>> I suppose I have some more swapping
    >>> around of drives and cables to do; but does the following throw any
    >>> light on the issues?
    >>>

    >>
    >> Might want to try running the DVD rewriter solo and providing extra
    >> ventilation to the unit by either removing it from the case and/or
    >> pointing a fan at the unit.....to see if it lasts any longer before
    >> going ga-ga on you.
    >>
    >> Extra computer??? Try the DVD rewriter in it if applicable. :-)
    >>

    >
    > OK, looks like it was a hardware issue with the rewriter. Thanks. But
    > I still have an issue with the floppy drive. As I said before, I can't
    > mount it from nautilus. But if I go to a terminal and,
    >
    > sudo mount /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0
    >
    > then I can open 'floppy0' in naultilus and get at my files. But then I
    > can't unmount it from nautilus (only root can unmount ...). Shouldn't
    > it be more straightforward than this?
    >
    >
    > duncan@ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/fstab
    > # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    > #
    > #
    > proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    > # /dev/sda1
    > UUID=49d337bd-1301-4dc8-ae69-439c7d82bca8 / ext3
    > defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    > # /dev/sda5
    > UUID=39466af4-f6c4-4f58-9b4f-4ce37dab2ba3 none swap sw
    > 0 0
    > /dev/hdb /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
    > /dev/hda /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
    > /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec 0 0
    > duncan@ubuntu:~$
    >
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Duncan


    if there is a "floopy" group in your system, make your user a member of that
    group.

    if it doesn't work, post this result

    $ ls /dev/fd0 -l



  16. Re: unable to mount cd

    duncan smith wrote in
    news:gbc5qb$b5g$1@energise.enta.net:

    > propman wrote:
    >> duncan smith wrote in
    >> news:gb8n2m$9u4$1@energise.enta.net:
    >>


    >>> I cannot eject the disk from within nautilus or via
    >>> the drive button. I still have access to the other drive (DVD rom)
    >>> after 16 hours (probably a record) and can eject (from nautilus) and
    >>> reinsert and it automounts OK. I still have some unmountable,
    >>> unknown SCSI drive appearing in nautilus.

    >>
    >> Disconnect the malfunctioning DVD drive, then reboot to see if the
    >> bogus SCSI drive is still visable.



    Just out of curiosity, did you try this and if so, what where the
    results?


    > OK, looks like it was a hardware issue with the rewriter. Thanks.
    > But I still have an issue with the floppy drive. As I said before, I
    > can't mount it from nautilus. But if I go to a terminal and,
    >
    > sudo mount /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0
    >
    > then I can open 'floppy0' in naultilus and get at my files. But then
    > I can't unmount it from nautilus (only root can unmount ...).
    > Shouldn't it be more straightforward than this?


    Personal experience with Nautilus hasn't been favourable at this end of
    things.....these days I'm using Konqueror as my file manager. Might
    want to try installing trying out some of the other file managers....if
    you can mount/read/write the floppy from the commandline, that's a good
    indication that the floppy is working correctly and the problem lies
    with Nautilus. :-)



  17. Re: unable to mount cd

    Em Quarta, 24 de Setembro de 2008 18:39, propman escreveu:
    > Personal experience with Nautilus hasn't been favourable at this end of
    > things.....these days I'm using Konqueror as my file manager. Might
    > want to try installing trying out some of the other file managers....if
    > you can mount/read/write the floppy from the commandline, that's a good
    > indication that the floppy is working correctly and the problem lies
    > with Nautilus. :-)


    it could be just a permission problem, notice he mounted the floppy with
    sudo

  18. Re: unable to mount cd

    ArameFarpado wrote in news:48da8137$0$90269
    $14726298@news.sunsite.dk:

    > Em Quarta, 24 de Setembro de 2008 18:39, propman escreveu:
    >> Personal experience with Nautilus hasn't been favourable at this end of
    >> things.....these days I'm using Konqueror as my file manager. Might
    >> want to try installing trying out some of the other file managers....if
    >> you can mount/read/write the floppy from the commandline, that's a good
    >> indication that the floppy is working correctly and the problem lies
    >> with Nautilus. :-)

    >
    > it could be just a permission problem, notice he mounted the floppy with
    > sudo
    >


    Yeppers.....which is one of the problems I have with a couple of the linux
    flavoured file managers, that is, I don't want to be hassled for
    permissions every two seconds. Personal opinion/taste...YMMV. :-)


  19. Re: unable to mount cd

    propman wrote:
    > duncan smith wrote in
    > news:gbc5qb$b5g$1@energise.enta.net:
    >
    >> propman wrote:
    >>> duncan smith wrote in
    >>> news:gb8n2m$9u4$1@energise.enta.net:
    >>>

    >
    >>>> I cannot eject the disk from within nautilus or via
    >>>> the drive button. I still have access to the other drive (DVD rom)
    >>>> after 16 hours (probably a record) and can eject (from nautilus) and
    >>>> reinsert and it automounts OK. I still have some unmountable,
    >>>> unknown SCSI drive appearing in nautilus.
    >>> Disconnect the malfunctioning DVD drive, then reboot to see if the
    >>> bogus SCSI drive is still visable.

    >
    >
    > Just out of curiosity, did you try this and if so, what where the
    > results?
    >


    [snip]

    Yes, and the unknown SCSI drive is still there. Now I do have 2 hard
    disks in this machine. Could it be my second hard disk? If so, why
    can't I mount it? (The last question is semi-rhetorical.) I'll try to
    investigate. Cheers.

    Duncan

  20. Re: unable to mount cd

    ArameFarpado wrote:
    > Em Quarta, 24 de Setembro de 2008 02:41, duncan smith escreveu:
    >
    >> propman wrote:
    >>> duncan smith wrote in
    >>> news:gb8n2m$9u4$1@energise.enta.net:
    >>>
    >>> As the motherboard has two IDE ports, and my hard drives are SATA, I
    >>>> connected each optical drive to a distinct port (both jumpered to
    >>>> master). I lost access to one of the drives (DVD rewriter) within a
    >>>> couple of hours.
    >>> My gut reaction right now is that your problems could be caused by
    >>> equipment failure.....thermal issues on the DVD.
    >>>
    >>>> I cannot eject the disk from within nautilus or via
    >>>> the drive button. I still have access to the other drive (DVD rom)
    >>>> after 16 hours (probably a record) and can eject (from nautilus) and
    >>>> reinsert and it automounts OK. I still have some unmountable, unknown
    >>>> SCSI drive appearing in nautilus.
    >>> Disconnect the malfunctioning DVD drive, then reboot to see if the bogus
    >>> SCSI drive is still visable.
    >>>
    >>>> I suppose I have some more swapping
    >>>> around of drives and cables to do; but does the following throw any
    >>>> light on the issues?
    >>>>
    >>> Might want to try running the DVD rewriter solo and providing extra
    >>> ventilation to the unit by either removing it from the case and/or
    >>> pointing a fan at the unit.....to see if it lasts any longer before
    >>> going ga-ga on you.
    >>>
    >>> Extra computer??? Try the DVD rewriter in it if applicable. :-)
    >>>

    >> OK, looks like it was a hardware issue with the rewriter. Thanks. But
    >> I still have an issue with the floppy drive. As I said before, I can't
    >> mount it from nautilus. But if I go to a terminal and,
    >>
    >> sudo mount /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0
    >>
    >> then I can open 'floppy0' in naultilus and get at my files. But then I
    >> can't unmount it from nautilus (only root can unmount ...). Shouldn't
    >> it be more straightforward than this?
    >>
    >>
    >> duncan@ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/fstab
    >> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    >> #
    >> #
    >> proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    >> # /dev/sda1
    >> UUID=49d337bd-1301-4dc8-ae69-439c7d82bca8 / ext3
    >> defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    >> # /dev/sda5
    >> UUID=39466af4-f6c4-4f58-9b4f-4ce37dab2ba3 none swap sw
    >> 0 0
    >> /dev/hdb /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
    >> /dev/hda /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
    >> /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec 0 0
    >> duncan@ubuntu:~$
    >>
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Duncan

    >
    > if there is a "floopy" group in your system, make your user a member of that
    > group.
    >
    > if it doesn't work, post this result
    >
    > $ ls /dev/fd0 -l
    >


    No floppy group.

    duncan@ubuntu:~$ ls /dev/fd0 -l
    brw-rw---- 1 root floppy 2, 0 2008-09-24 02:29 /dev/fd0
    duncan@ubuntu:~$


    Cheers.

    Duncan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast