unable to mount cd - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on unable to mount cd - Ubuntu ; Em Quinta, 25 de Setembro de 2008 03:32, duncan smith escreveu: >> >> if there is a "floopy" group in your system, make your user a member of >> that group. >> >> if it doesn't work, post this result ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: unable to mount cd

  1. Re: unable to mount cd

    Em Quinta, 25 de Setembro de 2008 03:32, duncan smith escreveu:

    >>
    >> if there is a "floopy" group in your system, make your user a member of
    >> that group.
    >>
    >> if it doesn't work, post this result
    >>
    >> $ ls /dev/fd0 -l
    >>

    >
    > No floppy group.

    Are you sure?
    how did you check that? with group command?

    there got to be a program to manager users, check in there.

    > duncan@ubuntu:~$ ls /dev/fd0 -l
    > brw-rw---- 1 root floppy 2, 0 2008-09-24 02:29 /dev/fd0
    > duncan@ubuntu:~$


    because as you can see (brw-rw---- 1 root floppy), your floppy drive is set
    to be used just by root or floppy group members...

    if there is really no floppy group, then create it and join it's membership.

    changing permissions on /dev/fd0 will only work until you reboot.

    obsv: this could only be a permission problem...



  2. Re: unable to mount cd

    ArameFarpado wrote:
    > Em Quinta, 25 de Setembro de 2008 03:32, duncan smith escreveu:
    >
    >>> if there is a "floopy" group in your system, make your user a member of
    >>> that group.
    >>>
    >>> if it doesn't work, post this result
    >>>
    >>> $ ls /dev/fd0 -l
    >>>

    >> No floppy group.

    > Are you sure?
    > how did you check that? with group command?
    >
    > there got to be a program to manager users, check in there.
    >
    >> duncan@ubuntu:~$ ls /dev/fd0 -l
    >> brw-rw---- 1 root floppy 2, 0 2008-09-24 02:29 /dev/fd0
    >> duncan@ubuntu:~$

    >
    > because as you can see (brw-rw---- 1 root floppy), your floppy drive is set
    > to be used just by root or floppy group members...
    >
    > if there is really no floppy group, then create it and join it's membership.
    >
    > changing permissions on /dev/fd0 will only work until you reboot.
    >
    > obsv: this could only be a permission problem...
    >


    OK. I added a floppy group under System > Administration > Users and
    Groups. I neglected to add myself as a user, so I added myself in a
    terminal using something like 'adduser duncan floppy'. Checking back
    under Users and Groups the relevant box is now checked. Rebooted, but
    still can't access floppy drive from within nautilus. The thing that's
    confusing me a bit is that the groups I see under Users and Groups don't
    correspond directly with what I see using the groups command.

    duncan@ubuntu:~$ groups
    duncan adm dialout cdrom audio dip video plugdev scanner lpadmin admin
    floppy
    duncan@ubuntu:~$

    e.g. The cdrom group doesn't appear under Users and Groups. If it's
    hidden for some reason maybe 'floppy' did exist before (although the
    groups command didn't list it until I added myself as a user). I'll try
    to track some information on users and groups and RTFM, but I'm a bit
    confused at the moment. Cheers.

    Duncan



  3. Re: unable to mount cd

    Em Quinta, 25 de Setembro de 2008 16:18, duncan smith escreveu:
    >
    > e.g. The cdrom group doesn't appear under Users and Groups. If it's
    > hidden for some reason maybe 'floppy' did exist before (although the
    > groups command didn't list it until I added myself as a user). I'll try
    > to track some information on users and groups and RTFM, but I'm a bit
    > confused at the moment. Cheers.
    >
    > Duncan



    Ok, let's focus on the problem:

    you're able to mount the floppy using this
    sudo mount /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0

    now try it without sudo like this

    mount /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0

    and report here all the errors you get.



  4. Re: unable to mount cd

    ArameFarpado wrote:
    > Em Quinta, 25 de Setembro de 2008 16:18, duncan smith escreveu:
    >> e.g. The cdrom group doesn't appear under Users and Groups. If it's
    >> hidden for some reason maybe 'floppy' did exist before (although the
    >> groups command didn't list it until I added myself as a user). I'll try
    >> to track some information on users and groups and RTFM, but I'm a bit
    >> confused at the moment. Cheers.
    >>
    >> Duncan

    >
    >
    > Ok, let's focus on the problem:
    >
    > you're able to mount the floppy using this
    > sudo mount /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0
    >
    > now try it without sudo like this
    >
    > mount /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0
    >
    > and report here all the errors you get.
    >
    >


    duncan@ubuntu:~$ mount /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0
    mount: only root can do that
    duncan@ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/fstab
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    #
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    # /dev/sda1
    UUID=49d337bd-1301-4dc8-ae69-439c7d82bca8 / ext3
    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # /dev/sda5
    UUID=39466af4-f6c4-4f58-9b4f-4ce37dab2ba3 none swap sw
    0 0
    /dev/hdb /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
    /dev/hda /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec 0 0


    Duncan

  5. Re: unable to mount cd

    Em Sexta, 26 de Setembro de 2008 01:41, duncan smith escreveu:

    > duncan@ubuntu:~$ mount /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0
    > mount: only root can do that


    Oh sorry, this was my bad...

    try it just like this

    mount /dev/fd0

  6. Re: unable to mount cd

    ArameFarpado wrote:
    > Em Sexta, 26 de Setembro de 2008 01:41, duncan smith escreveu:
    >
    >> duncan@ubuntu:~$ mount /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0
    >> mount: only root can do that

    >
    > Oh sorry, this was my bad...
    >
    > try it just like this
    >
    > mount /dev/fd0



    Hmmm. It now mounts OK, although it takes a while. But from within
    nautilus I get "Unable to mount location, Can't mount file" from double
    clicking the floppy drive icon, and complete inactivity from "Mount
    Volume" under the right click menu. None of the right click menu items
    for the floppy drive icon in the left pane do anything (Open, Open in
    New Window, Rescan). The drive light comes on for about a second for
    Rescan, but that's it. Once it's mounted I can unmount under the right
    click menu for the floppy disk icon (in the main window or the left
    pane). But then I have to return to the terminal to remount it.

    Duncan

  7. Re: unable to mount cd

    Em Sexta, 26 de Setembro de 2008 15:52, duncan smith escreveu:

    > ArameFarpado wrote:
    >> Em Sexta, 26 de Setembro de 2008 01:41, duncan smith escreveu:
    >>
    >>> duncan@ubuntu:~$ mount /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0
    >>> mount: only root can do that

    >>
    >> Oh sorry, this was my bad...
    >>
    >> try it just like this
    >>
    >> mount /dev/fd0

    >
    >
    > Hmmm. It now mounts OK, although it takes a while.

    normal to floppys


    > But from within
    > nautilus I get "Unable to mount location, Can't mount file" from double
    > clicking the floppy drive icon, and complete inactivity from "Mount
    > Volume" under the right click menu. None of the right click menu items
    > for the floppy drive icon in the left pane do anything (Open, Open in
    > New Window, Rescan). The drive light comes on for about a second for
    > Rescan, but that's it. Once it's mounted I can unmount under the right
    > click menu for the floppy disk icon (in the main window or the left
    > pane). But then I have to return to the terminal to remount it.


    Ok, so this problem is really just a nautilus problem, maybe just a bug...
    check if there is updates for nautilus / gnome

    anyway, using floppys is so rare this days that you might not need to
    correct this at all

    good luck



  8. Re: unable to mount cd

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 14:35:00 +0100, duncan smith wrote:


    > I can eject them and reinsert them like that. But I still get "no media
    > in drive".


    Haven't followed the full discussion, so I don't know if you have
    already done so, but have you considered updating the firmware
    of the drive? The latest version is usually available from the website
    of the manufacturer.
    I used to have a similar problem with my DVDRW drive which suddenly
    decided it didn't like *any* re-writable DVD (worked OK with ordinary
    CDs and DVDs)
    Upgrading the firmware to the latest version solved the problem.
    I suppose the original firmware got somehow corrupted. Your problem
    may be of similar nature.


  9. Re: unable to mount cd

    Markus Diehl wrote:
    > On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 14:35:00 +0100, duncan smith wrote:
    >
    >
    >> I can eject them and reinsert them like that. But I still get "no media
    >> in drive".

    >
    > Haven't followed the full discussion, so I don't know if you have
    > already done so, but have you considered updating the firmware
    > of the drive? The latest version is usually available from the website
    > of the manufacturer.
    > I used to have a similar problem with my DVDRW drive which suddenly
    > decided it didn't like *any* re-writable DVD (worked OK with ordinary
    > CDs and DVDs)
    > Upgrading the firmware to the latest version solved the problem.
    > I suppose the original firmware got somehow corrupted. Your problem
    > may be of similar nature.
    >


    OK. I'll look into that. All I actually know is that my DVD ROM works
    OK as long as it isn't on the same IDE cable as the rewriter. I haven't
    tried the rewriter in another machine yet. Cheers.

    Duncan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2