This is a discussion on Icons on my desktop - Ubuntu ; I don't know what I changed, but when I click on the icons on my desktop nothing launches, but if I right click on the icon and click on "Open" it launches the program.... thanks, mac...

  1. Icons on my desktop

    I don't know what I changed, but when I click on the icons on my desktop
    nothing launches, but if I right click on the icon and click on "Open"
    it launches the program....

    thanks,
    mac

  2. Re: Icons on my desktop

    On 2008-09-20, mac hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > I don't know what I changed, but when I click on the icons on my desktop
    > nothing launches, but if I right click on the icon and click on "Open"
    > it launches the program....

    BLACKBOX
    ENLIGHTENMENT
    XFCE
    ICE-WM
    GNOME
    KDE

    > thanks,
    > mac

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    "When science discovers the center of the universe, a lot of
    people will be disappointed to find they are not it."
    >> Bernard Baily <<

  3. Re: Icons on my desktop

    On 20/09/08 21:34, mac wrote:
    > I don't know what I changed, but when I click on the icons on my desktop
    > nothing launches, but if I right click on the icon and click on "Open"
    > it launches the program....

    Does it launch when you double-click on it?

    If so, go to

    System > Preferences > File Management

    On the "Behaviour" tab, choose "Single click to open items".

  4. Re: Icons on my desktop

    On 09/20/2008 05:57 PM James C scribbled:

    > On 20/09/08 21:34, mac wrote:
    >> I don't know what I changed, but when I click on the icons on my desktop
    >> nothing launches, but if I right click on the icon and click on "Open"
    >> it launches the program....

    > Does it launch when you double-click on it?
    >
    > If so, go to
    >
    > System > Preferences > File Management
    >
    > On the "Behaviour" tab, choose "Single click to open items".

    sorry to jump in late on this thread but a side question, please.

    like many things Ubuntu/linux, it seems that the advice given doesn't
    match what I have installed, which can be annoying at times. In this
    case, my menu under system>preferences doesn't have a >file management
    choice.
    Why might this be?

  5. Re: Icons on my desktop

    jrg wrote:
    > On 09/20/2008 05:57 PM James C scribbled:
    >
    >> On 20/09/08 21:34, mac wrote:
    >>> I don't know what I changed, but when I click on the icons on my desktop
    >>> nothing launches, but if I right click on the icon and click on "Open"
    >>> it launches the program....

    >> Does it launch when you double-click on it?
    >>
    >> If so, go to
    >>
    >> System > Preferences > File Management
    >>
    >> On the "Behaviour" tab, choose "Single click to open items".

    > sorry to jump in late on this thread but a side question, please.
    >
    > like many things Ubuntu/linux, it seems that the advice given doesn't
    > match what I have installed, which can be annoying at times. In this
    > case, my menu under system>preferences doesn't have a >file management
    > choice.
    > Why might this be?

    Right click on Applications and choose Edit Menus and look under
    System/Preferences and you'll see it there unticked. Tick it and then it
    will appear where James said it is.

    Alias

  6. Re: Icons on my desktop

    On 09/23/2008 09:58 AM Alias scribbled:

    > jrg wrote:

    >>> Does it launch when you double-click on it?
    >>>
    >>> If so, go to
    >>>
    >>> System > Preferences > File Management
    >>>
    >>> On the "Behaviour" tab, choose "Single click to open items".

    >> sorry to jump in late on this thread but a side question, please.
    >>
    >> like many things Ubuntu/linux, it seems that the advice given doesn't
    >> match what I have installed, which can be annoying at times. In this
    >> case, my menu under system>preferences doesn't have a >file management
    >> choice.
    >> Why might this be?

    > Right click on Applications and choose Edit Menus and look under
    > System/Preferences and you'll see it there unticked. Tick it and then it
    > will appear where James said it is.
    >
    > Alias

    Thank you for that - didn't know that existed.

  7. Re: Icons on my desktop

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 09:21:26 -0700, jrg wrote:

    > sorry to jump in late on this thread but a side question, please.
    >
    > like many things Ubuntu/linux, it seems that the advice given doesn't
    > match what I have installed, which can be annoying at times. In this
    > case, my menu under system>preferences doesn't have a >file management
    > choice.
    > Why might this be?

    I am jumping in late too.

    If you are using nautilus, open up your file browser.
    You can do this by:
    On your main menubar: Places->Documents
    This is a nautilus window and will show you folders and files.
    In this window's menubar: Edit->Preferences
    In the preferences window, there are a few settings for how you interact
    with nautilus.

    Also there is a more powerful way, but you have to think a little bit.
    In a terminal run the command "gconf-editor"
    Click on the triangle next to "apps"
    Then click on the triangle next to "nautilus"
    Under nautilus, click on preferences. You will see a option for
    "click_policy". Set this to "single" or "double"
    Notice that gconf-editor has many more options to set for nautilus, than
    using the nautilus preferences from the file browser.
    Also notice that gconf-editor has a "Find" option under the "Edit" menu.
    This can help you. Try searching for "click"
    Funny thing: I just did this and discovered that my
    desktop/gnome/peripherals/mouse/single_click is set to open icons on a
    single click, but my apps/nautilus/preferences/click_policy is set to
    double.
    As I said, gconf-editor requires you to think a bit.

    stonerfish

  8. Re: Icons on my desktop

    jrg wrote:
    > On 09/23/2008 09:58 AM Alias scribbled:
    >
    >> jrg wrote:
    >>> On 09/20/2008 05:57 PM James C scribbled:

    >>> sorry to jump in late on this thread but a side question, please.
    >>>
    >>> like many things Ubuntu/linux, it seems that the advice given doesn't
    >>> match what I have installed, which can be annoying at times. In this
    >>> case, my menu under system>preferences doesn't have a >file management
    >>> choice.
    >>> Why might this be?

    >> Right click on Applications and choose Edit Menus and look under
    >> System/Preferences and you'll see it there unticked. Tick it and then it
    >> will appear where James said it is.
    >>
    >> Alias

    > Thank you for that - didn't know that existed.

    You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

    Alias

  9. Re: Icons on my desktop

    On 2008-09-23, jrg hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > On 09/20/2008 05:57 PM James C scribbled:
    >
    >> On 20/09/08 21:34, mac wrote:
    >>> I don't know what I changed, but when I click on the icons on my desktop
    >>> nothing launches, but if I right click on the icon and click on "Open"
    >>> it launches the program....

    >> Does it launch when you double-click on it?
    >>
    >> If so, go to
    >>
    >> System > Preferences > File Management
    >>
    >> On the "Behaviour" tab, choose "Single click to open items".

    > sorry to jump in late on this thread but a side question, please.
    >
    > like many things Ubuntu/linux, it seems that the advice given doesn't
    > match what I have installed, which can be annoying at times. In this
    > case, my menu under system>preferences doesn't have a >file management
    > choice.
    > Why might this be?

    Because you didn't tell people which Desktop you're using.
    When you post something about a problem then be as specific
    as you can be, after all Gnu/Linux *DOES* offer *MORE*
    choices then another OS.

    Often a advice for a Gnome Desktop is useless to a user who
    happens to run XFCE f.e. :-)

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    "When science discovers the center of the universe, a lot of
    people will be disappointed to find they are not it."
    >> Bernard Baily <<

  10. Re: Icons on my desktop

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 17:02:23 +0000, jellybean stonerfish wrote:

    > On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 09:21:26 -0700, jrg wrote:
    >
    >> sorry to jump in late on this thread but a side question, please.
    >>
    >> like many things Ubuntu/linux, it seems that the advice given doesn't
    >> match what I have installed, which can be annoying at times. In this
    >> case, my menu under system>preferences doesn't have a >file management
    >> choice.
    >> Why might this be?

    > I am jumping in late too.
    >
    > If you are using nautilus, open up your file browser. You can do this
    > by:
    > On your main menubar: Places->Documents
    > This is a nautilus window and will show you folders and files. In this
    > window's menubar: Edit->Preferences In the preferences window, there
    > are a few settings for how you interact with nautilus.
    >
    > Also there is a more powerful way, but you have to think a little bit.
    > In a terminal run the command "gconf-editor" Click on the triangle next
    > to "apps"
    > Then click on the triangle next to "nautilus" Under nautilus, click on
    > preferences. You will see a option for "click_policy". Set this to
    > "single" or "double" Notice that gconf-editor has many more options to
    > set for nautilus, than using the nautilus preferences from the file
    > browser. Also notice that gconf-editor has a "Find" option under the
    > "Edit" menu. This can help you. Try searching for "click" Funny thing:
    > I just did this and discovered that my
    > desktop/gnome/peripherals/mouse/single_click is set to open icons on a
    > single click, but my apps/nautilus/preferences/click_policy is set to
    > double.
    > As I said, gconf-editor requires you to think a bit.
    >
    > stonerfish

    Thanks for the info, but you know that gconf-editor looks an awful like
    RegEdit in Windows. Clearly serves the same purpose. Hope that it doesn't
    need to be cleaned up as that damned RegEdit does! Good information
    though.

  11. Re: Icons on my desktop

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 17:31:26 +0000, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    > On 2008-09-23, jrg hit the keyboard and wrote:

    >>> Does it launch when you double-click on it?
    >>>
    >>> If so, go to
    >>>
    >>> System > Preferences > File Management
    >>>
    >>> On the "Behaviour" tab, choose "Single click to open items".

    >> sorry to jump in late on this thread but a side question, please.
    >>
    >> like many things Ubuntu/linux, it seems that the advice given doesn't
    >> match what I have installed, which can be annoying at times. In this
    >> case, my menu under system>preferences doesn't have a >file management
    >> choice.
    >> Why might this be?

    > Because you didn't tell people which Desktop you're using. When you
    > post something about a problem then be as specific as you can be,
    > after all Gnu/Linux *DOES* offer *MORE* choices then another OS.
    >
    > Often a advice for a Gnome Desktop is useless to a user who happens to
    > run XFCE f.e. :-)
    >

    > Dragomir Kollaric

    Amen to that!!!!! Then info given here will be helpful to others and not
    lead them down a blind alley and waste time.

  12. Re: Icons on my desktop

    * LittleGorm wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > Thanks for the info, but you know that gconf-editor looks an awful
    > like RegEdit in Windows. Clearly serves the same purpose. Hope that it
    > doesn't need to be cleaned up as that damned RegEdit does! Good
    > information though.

    May LOOK the same but works Soooo Differently. Its a centralized place to
    find some settings, yes, but those settings can be acccesed via a text
    editor also, no so with regedit.

    --
    David

  13. Re: Icons on my desktop

    Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    > Because you didn't tell people which Desktop you're using.
    > When you post something about a problem then be as specific
    > as you can be, after all Gnu/Linux *DOES* offer *MORE*
    > choices then another OS.
    >
    > Often a advice for a Gnome Desktop is useless to a user who
    > happens to run XFCE f.e. :-)
    >

    > Dragomir Kollaric

    That is very spot on.

    Specific terms like GNU, GNOME and Xfce have correct and incorrect
    spellings. ;-)

    --
    John