Re: email fails - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: email fails - Ubuntu ; Em Sábado, 20 de Setembro de 2008 02:36, Bruce in Bangkok escreveu: > I have recently installed Debian (kernel 2.6.18-486) on two computers > and they both exhibit the same problem, failure to send email through > stmp. > > ...

  1. Re: email fails

    Em Sábado, 20 de Setembro de 2008 02:36, Bruce in Bangkok escreveu:

    > I have recently installed Debian (kernel 2.6.18-486) on two computers
    > and they both exhibit the same problem, failure to send email through
    > stmp.
    >
    > Actually I have installed two copies of Debian and two copy of mepis
    > (kernel 2..6.15-27-desktop) on two different machines, all of which
    > have exhibited the same problem.
    >
    > E-mail clients used are Thunderbird, Icedove and Kmail, . The accounts
    > were both pop and imap, i.e., I configured the account, client and
    > server for one type of account, tested and re-configured to the other
    > protocol and re-tested.
    >
    > All clients acted exactly the same. Receiving mail from either POP or
    > IMAP accounts worked perfectly but sending through smtp fails, i.e.,
    > the notice "contacting smtp.gmail.com" is displayed and then after
    > several minutes the service times out.
    >
    > The mail account is gmail.com in all cases.
    >
    > Finally, I have thunderbird installed on a Windows computer using
    > exactly the same settings and account and it works perfectly.
    >
    > It appears to me that there may be a problem with port 587 (the gmail
    > proscribed smtp port) - at least that is all I can think of.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a solution or if not some additional checks I can
    > run?
    >
    > Bruce-in-Bangkok
    > (correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

    this is not a problem with your clients.
    i also use kmail to send mail using smtp servers and never could do it using
    smtp.gmail.com, however it works fine with other smtp servers.

    doesn't your isp provide a smtp server for you?

  2. Re: email fails

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 11:01:27 +0100, ArameFarpado
    wrote:

    >Em Sbado, 20 de Setembro de 2008 02:36, Bruce in Bangkok escreveu:
    >
    >> I have recently installed Debian (kernel 2.6.18-486) on two computers
    >> and they both exhibit the same problem, failure to send email through
    >> stmp.

    snipped
    >> Bruce-in-Bangkok
    >> (correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

    >this is not a problem with your clients.
    >i also use kmail to send mail using smtp servers and never could do it using
    >smtp.gmail.com, however it works fine with other smtp servers.
    >
    >doesn't your isp provide a smtp server for you?

    I'll probably get flamed for responding, However..

    Another poster recommended trying port 25, which I did and it solved
    the problem.

    I don't understand why stmp works in windows with the gmail
    recommended port but not in linux. Ah well, another mystery I guess.

    Bruce-in-Bangkok

  3. Re: email fails

    Em Sábado, 20 de Setembro de 2008 14:31, Bruce in Bangkok escreveu:

    >>this is not a problem with your clients.
    >>i also use kmail to send mail using smtp servers and never could do it
    >>using smtp.gmail.com, however it works fine with other smtp servers.
    >>
    >>doesn't your isp provide a smtp server for you?
    >>

    > I'll probably get flamed for responding, However..

    why?

    > Another poster recommended trying port 25, which I did and it solved
    > the problem.
    >
    > I don't understand why stmp works in windows with the gmail
    > recommended port but not in linux. Ah well, another mystery I guess.

    good for you, by the time i've tested that server it didn't work with port
    25.

  4. Re: email fails

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 14:59:16 +0100, ArameFarpado
    wrote:

    >Em Sbado, 20 de Setembro de 2008 14:31, Bruce in Bangkok escreveu:
    >
    >>>this is not a problem with your clients.
    >>>i also use kmail to send mail using smtp servers and never could do it
    >>>using smtp.gmail.com, however it works fine with other smtp servers.
    >>>
    >>>doesn't your isp provide a smtp server for you?
    >>>

    >> I'll probably get flamed for responding, However..

    >why?
    >
    >> Another poster recommended trying port 25, which I did and it solved
    >> the problem.
    >>
    >> I don't understand why stmp works in windows with the gmail
    >> recommended port but not in linux. Ah well, another mystery I guess.
    >>

    >good for you, by the time i've tested that server it didn't work with port
    >25.

    I just sent a test message over gmail and it does work, from
    Thailand.. Using smtp.gmail.com with port 25 configured.

    If you can't send via smtp to gmail on that port I'd appreciate a
    heads up as I have several email clients running with those settings
    and if they are going to die I'd like to be forewarned.

    Bruce-in-Bangkok

  5. Re: email fails

    Em Domingo, 21 de Setembro de 2008 05:41, Bruce in Bangkok escreveu:

    >>good for you, by the time i've tested that server it didn't work with port
    >>25.

    > I just sent a test message over gmail and it does work, from
    > Thailand.. Using smtp.gmail.com with port 25 configured.
    >
    > If you can't send via smtp to gmail on that port I'd appreciate a
    > heads up as I have several email clients running with those settings
    > and if they are going to die I'd like to be forewarned.
    >
    > Bruce-in-Bangkok
    > (correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

    Ok, it's working now with ports 25 and 587...

    i've tryed this server more than a year ago, and it wasn't working at the
    time.

    cheers

+ Reply to Thread