Re: email fails - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: email fails - Ubuntu ; On 2008-09-20, Bruce in Bangkok wrote: > SNIP > Actually I have installed two copies of Debian and two copy of mepis > (kernel 2..6.15-27-desktop) on two different machines, all of which > have exhibited the same problem. > SNIP ...

  1. Re: email fails

    On 2008-09-20, Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
    > <>SNIP<>
    > Actually I have installed two copies of Debian and two copy of mepis
    > (kernel 2..6.15-27-desktop) on two different machines, all of which
    > have exhibited the same problem.
    > <>SNIP<>

    Not sure what this has to do with Ubuntu...?

    > All clients acted exactly the same. Receiving mail from either POP or
    > IMAP accounts worked perfectly but sending through smtp fails, i.e.,
    > the notice "contacting smtp.gmail.com" is displayed and then after
    > several minutes the service times out.
    >
    > The mail account is gmail.com in all cases.
    >
    > Finally, I have thunderbird installed on a Windows computer using
    > exactly the same settings and account and it works perfectly.
    >
    > It appears to me that there may be a problem with port 587 (the gmail
    > proscribed smtp port) - at least that is all I can think of.

    So, try port 25 (also allowed by gmail), and set security to "Use TLS,
    if Possible". If that doesn't work, check your firewall settings,
    your router, and maybe check the help pages at gmail...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  2. Re: email fails

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 00:02:45 -0500, Joe
    wrote:

    >On 2008-09-20, Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
    >> <>SNIP<>
    >> Actually I have installed two copies of Debian and two copy of mepis
    >> (kernel 2..6.15-27-desktop) on two different machines, all of which
    >> have exhibited the same problem.
    >> <>SNIP<>

    >Not sure what this has to do with Ubuntu...?
    >

    >> All clients acted exactly the same. Receiving mail from either POP or
    >> IMAP accounts worked perfectly but sending through smtp fails, i.e.,
    >> the notice "contacting smtp.gmail.com" is displayed and then after
    >> several minutes the service times out.
    >>
    >> The mail account is gmail.com in all cases.
    >>
    >> Finally, I have thunderbird installed on a Windows computer using
    >> exactly the same settings and account and it works perfectly.
    >>
    >> It appears to me that there may be a problem with port 587 (the gmail
    >> proscribed smtp port) - at least that is all I can think of.

    >So, try port 25 (also allowed by gmail), and set security to "Use TLS,
    >if Possible". If that doesn't work, check your firewall settings,
    >your router, and maybe check the help pages at gmail...

    I didn't try port 25 as gmail specifies 857 but I will. thanks.

    Bruce-in-Bangkok

  3. Re: email fails

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 16:49:50 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 00:02:45 -0500, Joe
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On 2008-09-20, Bruce in Bangkok
    >>wrote:
    >>> <>SNIP<>
    >>> Actually I have installed two copies of Debian and two copy of mepis
    >>> (kernel 2..6.15-27-desktop) on two different machines, all of which
    >>> have exhibited the same problem.
    >>> <>SNIP<>

    [...]
    >>So, try port 25 (also allowed by gmail), and set security to "Use TLS,
    >>if Possible". If that doesn't work, check your firewall settings, your
    >>router, and maybe check the help pages at gmail...

    > I didn't try port 25 as gmail specifies 857 but I will. thanks.

    uh uhmm, Bruce gmail uses port *587* for it's smtp out bound server. I'm
    guessing that your port 857 is a typo?

    You can use just about any server with port 25 to reach gmail though.
    --
    Cheers, Kurt

  4. Re: email fails

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 16:44:17 +0000 (UTC), Kurt Steinhauser
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 16:49:50 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 00:02:45 -0500, Joe
    >> wrote:

    >[...]
    >>>So, try port 25 (also allowed by gmail), and set security to "Use TLS,
    >>>if Possible". If that doesn't work, check your firewall settings, your
    >>>router, and maybe check the help pages at gmail...

    >> I didn't try port 25 as gmail specifies 857 but I will. thanks.

    >uh uhmm, Bruce gmail uses port *587* for it's smtp out bound server. I'm
    >guessing that your port 857 is a typo?
    >
    >You can use just about any server with port 25 to reach gmail though.

    Yes a typo. I just (rather frantically) checked the various
    installations and the "non-default" configurations I kept are correct.
    Thanks though - I do make mistakes and it is embarrassing to discover
    that, after several days frantic fumbling about, that the problem is
    something that you typed yourself.

    Bruce-in-Bangkok

  5. Re: email fails

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:47:46 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 16:44:17 +0000 (UTC), Kurt Steinhauser
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 16:49:50 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

    [...]
    > Yes a typo. I just (rather frantically) checked the various
    > installations and the "non-default" configurations I kept are correct.
    > Thanks though - I do make mistakes and it is embarrassing to discover
    > that, after several days frantic fumbling about, that the problem is
    > something that you typed yourself.

    BTDT many times myself. On one Windows box, I use port 25 as outbound
    smtp for gmail, on Ubuntu box it is set for 587. Both work (note that
    this is with Thunderbird).

    I'm curious, how close are you to Wat Bowan? I have the pleasure of
    knowing one of the senior monastics there. And with you permission, I'll
    take this to email.

    --
    Cheers, Kurt

  6. Re: email fails

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:09:41 +0000 (UTC), Kurt Steinhauser
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:47:46 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 16:44:17 +0000 (UTC), Kurt Steinhauser
    >> wrote:

    >[...]
    >> Yes a typo. I just (rather frantically) checked the various
    >> installations and the "non-default" configurations I kept are correct.
    >> Thanks though - I do make mistakes and it is embarrassing to discover
    >> that, after several days frantic fumbling about, that the problem is
    >> something that you typed yourself.

    >BTDT many times myself. On one Windows box, I use port 25 as outbound
    >smtp for gmail, on Ubuntu box it is set for 587. Both work (note that
    >this is with Thunderbird).
    >
    >I'm curious, how close are you to Wat Bowan? I have the pleasure of
    >knowing one of the senior monastics there. And with you permission, I'll
    >take this to email.
    >>
    >> Bruce-in-Bangkok
    >> (correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

    I live on Sutthisarn Road, on the north side of Bangkok. Wat Bowan is
    more or less in the central part of the city. We used to know a senior
    Monk who was a missionary to Indonesia and stayed at Wat Bowan when he
    was in Bangkok so we know the temple fairly well.

    I don't understand gmail. Port 25 works perfectly well but in their
    literature they specify port 587 which works on my Windows machines
    but doesn't work on my Linux machines. But port 25 works on both????

    Bruce-in-Bangkok

  7. Re: email fails

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 22:30:42 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

    [...]
    > I don't understand gmail. Port 25 works perfectly well but in their
    > literature they specify port 587 which works on my Windows machines but
    > doesn't work on my Linux machines. But port 25 works on both????

    Getting accounts setup under different OSs and different clients can be a
    real PITA.
    Here is one link that may be of some help with Debian installations.

    http://www.debianadmin.com/configure...hunderbird-or-
    kmail.html

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/2hxesx

    preview TinyURL: http://preview.tinyurl.com/2hxesx

    HtH, and you should have inbound email in a bit.

    --
    Cheers, Kurt

  8. Re: email fails

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 16:17:07 +0000 (UTC), Kurt Steinhauser
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 22:30:42 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
    >
    >[...]
    >> I don't understand gmail. Port 25 works perfectly well but in their
    >> literature they specify port 587 which works on my Windows machines but
    >> doesn't work on my Linux machines. But port 25 works on both????
    >>

    >Getting accounts setup under different OSs and different clients can be a
    >real PITA.
    >Here is one link that may be of some help with Debian installations.
    >
    >http://www.debianadmin.com/configure...hunderbird-or-
    >kmail.html
    >
    >or
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/2hxesx
    >
    >preview TinyURL: http://preview.tinyurl.com/2hxesx
    >
    >HtH, and you should have inbound email in a bit.

    Thanks for the web reference.

    Bruce-in-Bangkok