CUPS vs. LPR for printer drivers - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on CUPS vs. LPR for printer drivers - Ubuntu ; I'm trying to figure out how to add printing/scanning/FAX drivers to Ubuntu 8.04 to make my Brother multi-function networked printer work. At some point, I have to choose "cups" or "lpr". What is the difference? And what is a "cupswrapper"? ...

  1. CUPS vs. LPR for printer drivers

    I'm trying to figure out how to add printing/scanning/FAX
    drivers to Ubuntu 8.04 to make my Brother multi-function
    networked printer work. At some point, I have to choose
    "cups" or "lpr". What is the difference? And what is a
    "cupswrapper"?

    Google and Wikipedia haven't been too helpful, so thanks
    for any info.

    *TimDaniels*

  2. Re: CUPS vs. LPR for printer drivers

    Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > I'm trying to figure out how to add printing/scanning/FAX
    > drivers to Ubuntu 8.04 to make my Brother multi-function
    > networked printer work. At some point, I have to choose
    > "cups" or "lpr". What is the difference?

    There was a lot of trial and error when I set up my Hewlett Packard
    multi function printer printer on my mixed Linux and MS network. Many a
    time it suddenly worked and I wasn't sure what I had done.

    I am now able to print, scan or view the printer's card reader from any
    computer on my network.

    First question, is it a Linux only network or mixed.

    Geoff Lane

  3. Re: CUPS vs. LPR for printer drivers

    "Geoff Lane" wrote:
    > Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >> I'm trying to figure out how to add printing/scanning/FAX
    >> drivers to Ubuntu 8.04 to make my Brother multi-function
    >> networked printer work. At some point, I have to choose
    >> "cups" or "lpr". What is the difference?

    > There was a lot of trial and error when I set up my Hewlett Packard multi
    > function printer printer on my mixed Linux and MS network.
    > Many a time it suddenly worked and I wasn't sure what I had done.
    >
    > I am now able to print, scan or view the printer's card reader from
    > any computer on my network.
    >
    > First question, is it a Linux only network or mixed.
    >
    > Geoff Lane

    The network consists of Windows and Linux hosts and a
    multi-function printer, each connected to a router via TCP/IP
    over Ethernet. The Windows systems run XP Pro and Vista Biz,
    both of which can access the printer. The Vista system dual-boots
    with Ubuntu 8.04 - the OS that I'm trying to connect to the printer.

    *TimDaniels*

  4. Re: CUPS vs. LPR for printer drivers

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 20:02:59 -0700, Timothy Daniels wrote:

    > I'm trying to figure out how to add printing/scanning/FAX drivers to
    > Ubuntu 8.04 to make my Brother multi-function networked printer work.
    > At some point, I have to choose "cups" or "lpr". What is the
    > difference? And what is a "cupswrapper"?
    >
    > Google and Wikipedia haven't been too helpful, so thanks for any info.
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    It's about choice and what's easier for you. Since you can configure lpr
    through cups, to me the difference is that cups is *mostly* gui
    configuration and lpr is command line configuration.

    I print from a lot of different locations, and it's easier for me to set
    up a new printer through cups.

    If you have cups installed, you can get more info by directing your
    browser here: http://localhost:631/help

  5. Re: CUPS vs. LPR for printer drivers

    "Gerry" wrote:
    > Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >
    >> I'm trying to figure out how to add printing/scanning/FAX drivers to
    >> Ubuntu 8.04 to make my Brother multi-function networked printer work.
    >> At some point, I have to choose "cups" or "lpr". What is the
    >> difference? And what is a "cupswrapper"?
    >>
    >> Google and Wikipedia haven't been too helpful, so thanks for any info.
    >>
    >> *TimDaniels*

    > It's about choice and what's easier for you. Since you can configure lpr
    > through cups, to me the difference is that cups is *mostly* gui
    > configuration and lpr is command line configuration.
    >
    > I print from a lot of different locations, and it's easier for me to set
    > up a new printer through cups.
    >
    > If you have cups installed, you can get more info by directing your
    > browser here: http://localhost:631/help

    I checked in Services, and CUPSys is there and running, and
    localhost:631/help brings up a local CUPS 1.3.7 web page. I guess
    I'll use it. But what is this "cupswrapper" thing? Is it anything like
    "ndiswrapper"? Is the CUPS driver native to Linux?

    *TimDaniels*

+ Reply to Thread