Resizing a windows "drive" - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Resizing a windows "drive" - Ubuntu ; I am getting a new PC at work and I want to install Linux. However, I do not want to remove Windows entirely, so: how can I safely resize the Windows partition, I would prefer to do it from Windows ...

  1. Resizing a windows "drive"

    I am getting a new PC at work and I want to install Linux. However, I
    do not want to remove Windows entirely, so: how can I safely resize
    the Windows partition, I would prefer to do it from Windows and I am
    just not familiar. thanks
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  2. Re: Resizing a windows "drive"

    * Ignoramus18195 wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > I am getting a new PC at work and I want to install Linux. However, I
    > do not want to remove Windows entirely, so: how can I safely resize
    > the Windows partition, I would prefer to do it from Windows and I am
    > just not familiar. thanks

    Windows does not supply the tools to do this. If I were you I would boot
    with a gparted disk and do it from a LiveCD.

    --
    David

  3. Re: Resizing a windows "drive"

    Ignoramus18195 schreef:
    > I am getting a new PC at work and I want to install Linux. However, I
    > do not want to remove Windows entirely, so: how can I safely resize
    > the Windows partition, I would prefer to do it from Windows and I am
    > just not familiar. thanks

    If you want to be really safe you install via wubi, that does not
    require any resizing or formatting.
    There is a thread started by preacher on the 16th. in which some good
    tips are given.

    Otherwise use the gparted live cd, very easy.
    Another thread with useful information is from just this morning started
    by Chuck Tanner, when you can avoid the trolls it has some good info.

  4. Re: Resizing a windows "drive"

    On 2008-09-19, SINNER wrote:
    > * Ignoramus18195 wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> I am getting a new PC at work and I want to install Linux. However, I
    >> do not want to remove Windows entirely, so: how can I safely resize
    >> the Windows partition, I would prefer to do it from Windows and I am
    >> just not familiar. thanks

    > Windows does not supply the tools to do this. If I were you I would boot
    > with a gparted disk and do it from a LiveCD.

    OK. At that point, I will not have any personal data on this system,
    so if I fsck it up, no big loss.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  5. Re: Resizing a windows "drive"

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 19:07:35 GMT, SINNER wrote:
    >* Ignoramus18195 wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    >> I am getting a new PC at work and I want to install Linux. However, I
    >> do not want to remove Windows entirely, so: how can I safely resize
    >> the Windows partition, I would prefer to do it from Windows and I am
    >> just not familiar. thanks

    >Windows does not supply the tools to do this. If I were you I would boot
    >with a gparted disk and do it from a LiveCD.

    will gparted shrink an ntfs partition? I was under the impression that
    it hadn't the capability.

  6. Re: Resizing a windows "drive"

    It was on Fri, 19 Sep 2008 13:40:10 -0500 when Ignoramus18195 scwibbled:

    > I am getting a new PC at work and I want to install Linux. However, I do
    > not want to remove Windows entirely, so: how can I safely resize the
    > Windows partition, I would prefer to do it from Windows and I am just
    > not familiar. thanks

    If it's Windows Vista it's probably a good idea to do it using the Vista
    tools, as it's sufficiently brain damaged that using other tools can
    break it. Control panel/administrative tools/computer management/disk
    management - right click on the vista volume and select shrink. It won't
    let you resize it smaller than it can cope with, which means you'll have
    some wasted space...
    If it's not vista, gparted on one of the many live CDs which include it,
    like Ubuntu, or just let Ubuntu do it.

    --
    JimP

    --
    JimP

  7. Re: Resizing a windows "drive"

    On 2008-09-19, Jim Price wrote:
    > It was on Fri, 19 Sep 2008 13:40:10 -0500 when Ignoramus18195 scwibbled:
    >
    >> I am getting a new PC at work and I want to install Linux. However, I do
    >> not want to remove Windows entirely, so: how can I safely resize the
    >> Windows partition, I would prefer to do it from Windows and I am just
    >> not familiar. thanks

    > If it's Windows Vista it's probably a good idea to do it using the Vista

    XP. Our management is dead set against Vista. (I do not care too much,
    but I think that agree with them)

    > tools, as it's sufficiently brain damaged that using other tools can
    > break it. Control panel/administrative tools/computer
    > management/disk management - right click on the vista volume and
    > select shrink. It won't let you resize it smaller than it can cope
    > with, which means you'll have some wasted space... If it's not
    > vista, gparted on one of the many live CDs which include it, like
    > Ubuntu, or just let Ubuntu do it.

    Most likely, XP, NTFS.

  8. Re: Resizing a windows "drive"

    AZ Nomad schreef:

    > On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 19:07:35 GMT, SINNER wrote:
    >> * Ignoramus18195 wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    >>> I am getting a new PC at work and I want to install Linux. However, I
    >>> do not want to remove Windows entirely, so: how can I safely resize
    >>> the Windows partition, I would prefer to do it from Windows and I am
    >>> just not familiar. thanks

    >> Windows does not supply the tools to do this. If I were you I would boot
    >> with a gparted disk and do it from a LiveCD.

    > will gparted shrink an ntfs partition? I was under the impression that
    > it hadn't the capability.

    Yeppers, it does, did it the other day on a friend's laptop. BTW Gparted
    is included on the Ubuntu Live CD, meaning a separate Gparted CD is not
    required.

    Cheers

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  9. Re: Resizing a windows "drive"

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 23:37:00 +0200, ml2mst wrote:
    >AZ Nomad schreef:

    >>> Windows does not supply the tools to do this. If I were you I would boot
    >>> with a gparted disk and do it from a LiveCD.

    >> will gparted shrink an ntfs partition? I was under the impression that
    >> it hadn't the capability.

    >Yeppers, it does, did it the other day on a friend's laptop. BTW Gparted
    >is included on the Ubuntu Live CD, meaning a separate Gparted CD is not
    >required.

    Must be a recent feature. Thanks for letting me know! Another windoze
    utility bites the dust. The linux versions lack the dancing elves, but they
    do the job without bloat, as fast as the hardware, and one doesn't have to buy
    them over and over to keep up with changes in today's software and hardware.

  10. Re: Resizing a windows "drive"

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 19:07:35 +0000, SINNER wrote:

    > * Ignoramus18195 wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> I am getting a new PC at work and I want to install Linux. However, I
    >> do not want to remove Windows entirely, so: how can I safely resize the
    >> Windows partition, I would prefer to do it from Windows and I am just
    >> not familiar. thanks

    > Windows does not supply the tools to do this. If I were you I would boot
    > with a gparted disk and do it from a LiveCD.

    I've always used the live CD, and resized the partitions as part of the
    install. It's worked faultlessly for me on two Ubuntu and one Suse
    install on Win machines. Are there any problems likely to appear with
    the live CD?

    Keith

  11. Re: Resizing a windows "drive"

    On 2008-09-19, Ignoramus18195 wrote:
    > On 2008-09-19, SINNER wrote:
    >> * Ignoramus18195 wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>
    >>> I am getting a new PC at work and I want to install Linux. However, I
    >>> do not want to remove Windows entirely, so: how can I safely resize
    >>> the Windows partition, I would prefer to do it from Windows and I am
    >>> just not familiar. thanks

    >> Windows does not supply the tools to do this. If I were you I would boot
    >> with a gparted disk and do it from a LiveCD.
    >>

    > OK. At that point, I will not have any personal data on this system,
    > so if I fsck it up, no big loss.

    Boot the Ubuntu LiveCD, select Install, follow the prompts and read
    carefully. It will offer you the option to resize your Windows
    partition and install as a dual-boot. It is so easy a Monkey could do
    it. If you screw it up, you have no place being a server Admin, in
    ANY capacity...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  12. Re: Resizing a windows "drive"

    * keith wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu on 2008-09-19:
    > On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 19:07:35 +0000, SINNER wrote:

    >> * Ignoramus18195 wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    >>> I am getting a new PC at work and I want to install Linux. However, I
    >>> do not want to remove Windows entirely, so: how can I safely resize the
    >>> Windows partition, I would prefer to do it from Windows and I am just
    >>> not familiar. thanks

    >> Windows does not supply the tools to do this. If I were you I would boot
    >> with a gparted disk and do it from a LiveCD.

    > I've always used the live CD, and resized the partitions as part of the
    > install. It's worked faultlessly for me on two Ubuntu and one Suse
    > install on Win machines. Are there any problems likely to appear with
    > the live CD?

    nope, the live CD (Ubuntu) runs gparted, same difference

    --
    David | Fight Back!
    Humor in the Court:

  13. Re: Resizing a windows "drive"

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 13:40:10 -0500, Ignoramus18195
    wrote:

    >I am getting a new PC at work and I want to install Linux. However, I
    >do not want to remove Windows entirely, so: how can I safely resize
    >the Windows partition, I would prefer to do it from Windows and I am
    >just not familiar. thanks

    I have used Partition Magic several times to do this without any
    problems. Do make sure you (2) defrag the Windows partition first and,
    (2) check the amount of disk space used by Windows, before you start.
    Note: Partition will tell you how much space is being used but it is
    well to check separately.

    Bruce-in-Bangkok

  14. Re: Resizing a windows "drive"

    AZ Nomad wrote:
    > Must be a recent feature.

    Recent feature? God, doesn't anybody Google anymore (maybe check the
    Gparted site). It's been a feature for years; at least 5 years that I
    can recall.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  15. Re: Resizing a windows "drive"

    It was on Sat, 20 Sep 2008 08:46:01 +0700 when Bruce in Bangkok scwibbled:

    > On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 13:40:10 -0500, Ignoramus18195
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I am getting a new PC at work and I want to install Linux. However, I do
    >>not want to remove Windows entirely, so: how can I safely resize the
    >>Windows partition, I would prefer to do it from Windows and I am just
    >>not familiar. thanks

    > I have used Partition Magic several times to do this without any
    > problems. Do make sure you (2) defrag the Windows partition first and,
    > (2) check the amount of disk space used by Windows, before you start.
    > Note: Partition will tell you how much space is being used but it is
    > well to check separately.

    A good point - there may well be fixed position files which defrag won't
    move. They may get moved by default using gparted or similar, but XP will
    at least want to chkdsk the file system next time it boots up if you do
    it that way. The two main culprits are the swap and hibernate files -
    temporarily disabling swapping and hibernation removes any possibility of
    them causing problems through being resized, but I've never seen XP do
    more than a chkdsk after such an operation even if you don't disable swap
    and hibernation. I only bother doing this if the resize doesn't give me
    enough room for linux, unless it's Vista, in which case the "use whole
    disk" option does a most effective resize and I don't notice any change
    in the functionality of Vista.

    --
    JimP

  16. Re: Resizing a windows "drive"

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 13:11:41 +0000 (UTC), Jim Price
    wrote:

    >It was on Sat, 20 Sep 2008 08:46:01 +0700 when Bruce in Bangkok scwibbled:
    >
    >> On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 13:40:10 -0500, Ignoramus18195
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am getting a new PC at work and I want to install Linux. However, I do
    >>>not want to remove Windows entirely, so: how can I safely resize the
    >>>Windows partition, I would prefer to do it from Windows and I am just
    >>>not familiar. thanks

    >> I have used Partition Magic several times to do this without any
    >> problems. Do make sure you (2) defrag the Windows partition first and,
    >> (2) check the amount of disk space used by Windows, before you start.
    >> Note: Partition will tell you how much space is being used but it is
    >> well to check separately.

    >A good point - there may well be fixed position files which defrag won't
    >move. They may get moved by default using gparted or similar, but XP will
    >at least want to chkdsk the file system next time it boots up if you do
    >it that way. The two main culprits are the swap and hibernate files -
    >temporarily disabling swapping and hibernation removes any possibility of
    >them causing problems through being resized, but I've never seen XP do
    >more than a chkdsk after such an operation even if you don't disable swap
    >and hibernation. I only bother doing this if the resize doesn't give me
    >enough room for linux, unless it's Vista, in which case the "use whole
    >disk" option does a most effective resize and I don't notice any change
    >in the functionality of Vista.

    The OP wanted to install Linux to a disk that already had a Windows
    system installed. I neglected to tell him, but he should delete his
    page file from windows. After that any other fixed files shouldn't be
    moved unless all references to that file in any applications that use
    the file are changed also and I doubt that gparted will do that.
    However with that caveat gparted works as well as anything and is free
    on the distro.

    Bruce-in-Bangkok

  17. Re: Resizing a windows "drive"

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 06:13:56 GMT, johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >AZ Nomad wrote:
    >> Must be a recent feature.

    >Recent feature? God, doesn't anybody Google anymore (maybe check the
    >Gparted site). It's been a feature for years; at least 5 years that I
    >can recall.

    Don't know. I used gtparted from the current knoppix disk 4 months ago and it was
    incapable of shrinking an NTFS partition.

  18. Re: Resizing a windows "drive"

    AZ Nomad wrote:
    > johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >> AZ Nomad wrote:
    >>
    >>> Must be a recent feature.

    >> Recent feature? God, doesn't anybody Google anymore (maybe check
    >> the Gparted site). It's been a feature for years; at least 5
    >> years that I can recall.

    > Don't know. I used gtparted from the current knoppix disk 4
    > months ago and it was incapable of shrinking an NTFS partition.

    I suspect you are getting confused by the inability to move files.
    Try first defragmenting the drive, and then try reducing the
    partition. The reduction won't be able to move the partition
    start, just the end.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

+ Reply to Thread